The Math Thread!

glaceon said:
That makes no sense
Whaaaa? You don't have them called rules of inferences? Modus ponens and tollens are each a rule of inference, as such:

Modus Ponens (p implies q. p is true. Therefore q must be true)
p -> q
p
--------
q

A fallacy is basically a flaw in inference, as Denying the Premise

Nope. I was absent 2 days but no we don't have to call them that. I know what they are, just not there label.

We have to put them into Truth Tables now. I used to be confused about ~p OR ~q but I learned that today. I'm nowhere past that.

Once again, I do not know the correct name for them, but we call them truth tables.

P ----- q

T ----- T
T -----F
F ----- T
F ----- F

That, plus more complicated stuff.

Oh, lol.

Well the teacher calls it "Intro to Logic", but that's probably the more formal name.

Wow, that's like confusing. Just reading some of the posts, my little sixth grade mind is blown. lol

^Same as me but I'm in 7th grade. I love math, my teachers want to start giving me some Calculus problems because I'm so smart, but I got so confused on Algebra I? I think it's II but it was confusing, using the distribution of a number to divide by, then distribute on a fraction, multiply by a reciprocal of a 1/6th of the number and then distribute, then add or multiply. o_O

SO far math is easy. Solving to find the variable. Like x-10=3. Inverse operation.

X=13 :p

I'm a grade ahead in math (Grade 10), and I'm finding it quite easy :D

Willing to help with anything I can.

I can help people, I can even help my bro. :3
I'm good in math.

Let's see just how good. =3
(Note: Please don't answer if you've taken/are taking Calc)

You're in a bike race and have a one mile loop racing track. Your goal is to average 60 mph for two laps. You do the first lap at 30 mph. How fast must you go on the second lap in order to average 60 mph?

I believe 90 MPH, but I'm probably wrong.

I'm taking Algebra I this year (for 8th grade), and then I take Geometry. Is Geometry harder than Algebra?

Zyflair said:
Let's see just how good. =3
(Note: Please don't answer if you've taken/are taking Calc)

You're in a bike race and have a one mile loop racing track. Your goal is to average 60 mph for two laps. You do the first lap at 30 mph. How fast must you go on the second lap in order to average 60 mph?

If I'm not mistaken the correct answer is 90, like Yoshidude10 said.

Nice try, but the answer is not 90 MPH. |3

If you show work, I could possibly point out what's wrong.

Me being a non-calculus person, I figured that since you rode 30 MPH for the first lap, you would need to find the number that has a mean of 60 when combined. Since 30 + 90 = 120, and 120 / 2 = 60, 90 "would" be the correct answer in my mind.

Though now I think it has to do with the loop.

This is not a trick question in any way, shape, or form.
This is a genuine test, so do not think that it's not.
What is the answer to 6x9?
Think about this long and hard.
I'll give you a hint; the answer is not 54.

Back