The Math Thread!

Zyflair said:
I've prepared you for this: The Implication:
The implication operator means that one thing leads to another. Hence it's an arrow sign: →

The statement: p→q means that if p is true, then q must be true. Going back to glaceon's problem, he wrote:
So we assign the propositions as so:
p = Finding $1
q = Going to the movies
He said that if he finds $1, then he'll go to the movies, so p→q, because if p (he finds $1) is true, the q (he will go to the movies) must be true. He then said that p is indeed true. So q is true and he will go to the movies. This is called Modus Ponens (no you don't have to remember that, lol).

Now let's move on to glaceon's most recent question:
We assign the propositions as so:
p = Finding $5
q = Buying a car
Again, he said that if he gets $5, then he'll buy a car, so p→q. But this time, he didn't get the money, so p is false, not true. Does that mean q is false too? People who say that are wrong and commit a fallacy called "Denying the Hypothesis". If p is false, q is not necessarily false too. Someone might help him pay the car, he could find a discount, or something that would let him buy a car even if he didn't find the $5 he wanted.

So that's it, lol.

Lol. Or he could steal the car. xD Okay, I get it now! Thanks!

Um. I dont know if you could ask for a straight up tutor here. but I'm in 10th grade in Alg.II
I was thinking of taking the Pre-Cal Credit By Exam and I need help learning it... xD

My math teacher said that it's going to get harder. So instead of:
q • 5 = 60
It'll be like:
q + • 4 = 30
Could someone explain how to do that stuff? Not exactly the random numbers I thought xD. But something like that.

Afaik, Q + • 4 = 30 would be equal to Q + 0 • 4 = 30

so Q would equal 30 iirc. (4 • 0 = 0)

and Zyf, I don't know exactly what I'm taking. All I know is that it's grade 10 math :p

Then your in Geometry P99 (most likely).

What are you doing right now?

Zyflair said:
Same problem with the two laps, only that the first lap was done with an average speed of 20 MPH. We want a total average speed of 30 MPH. What's the average speed of the second lap?

Okay, I can do this.

Since the first lap is going to be S = D / T, that would mean the first lap will be 1 / 20, or 3 minutes. T = D / S will mean we need an average of 30 MPH, so T = 2 / 30 = 1 / 15, or 4 minutes. If I subtract 3 minutes from 4 minutes, I get 1 minute. So, I have 1 minute to complete the second lap, which means my speed would have to be 60 MPH. Am I correct?

Snivy, what is that, lol?

LuxTwo said:
Um. I don't know if you could ask for a straight up tutor here. but I'm in 10th grade in Alg.II
I was thinking of taking the Pre-Cal Credit By Exam and I need help learning it... xD
I'd be available via pm, if you want. ;)

Yoshidude10 said:
Okay, I can do this.

Since the first lap is going to be S = D / T, that would mean the first lap will be 1 / 20, or 3 minutes. T = D / S will mean we need an average of 30 MPH, so T = 2 / 30 = 1 / 15, or 4 minutes. If I subtract 3 minutes from 4 minutes, I get 1 minute. So, I have 1 minute to complete the second lap, which means my speed would have to be 60 MPH. Am I correct?
You are indeed correct. Seems like you got the basics down. :p

You can't have two operators sitting right besides each other. That's common sense. If there's supposed to be a zero there then it should be WRITTEN there.

Now that I agree with. That makes no sense.

An example of a difference.

- (3x + 9)

The 1 between - and ( is there, though not seen.

But that's standard notation. Anything besides the parentheses implies multiplication. Something like:
Code:
(x+1)(x+1)
means
Code:
(x+1)*(x+1)

Did she solve the problem at least? Or did she just write that and left it alone?

Back