DPPt/HGSS The Questions and Answers Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Questions and Answers Thread (All generations, excluding 5th)

Sorry if some of these have been answered before; there's a great wealth of questions and answers, so it's a wee bit hard to keep track:

Gabriel said:
Is just turning your gameboy off in the middle of the game bad?

No. Unless you're saving, of course.

Does the game save when you turn off, or just when you save yourself?

Same as all other main-series games; you have to save yourself (haha).

Do the battles in it give exp, and if yes, are they good for training, or it's not really worth it?

I know you were referring to the matter of experience here, but I just want to add that the Tower itself is as worth it as it is RS (not much; you get a few items here and there).

And last, does anyone still play competitive Gen 2 anymore? Is there still an online tool for that?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can almost swear that Pokemon Online has an option for Gen 2 battles. Maybe I'm thinking of Gen 3, but I'm still pretty sure that it has Gen 2.

xxashxx said:
I must have missed your post. Sorry man. I was wondering about the berries etc since you can only get so many berries before the battery dies. If the battery dies how do you get berries if you can't get the battery replaced?:)

There was a glitch in RS that somehow prevented the berries from growing at some point. Connecting (read: trading/battling) with anything from Colosseum to FR to XD was supposed to fix this, though. I've personally tried it out on my Sapphire to no success, but I've only battled so far.

Of course, I may be wrong about all of this, as the battery could actually be dead. The messages are the same, so I wasn't sure.

^I think there's a certain button combination that you need to press in one of the games, and then it will download the patch for you while you're trading. I'm not sure if this is totally true, though. Bulbapedia probably has it.
I know I installed the patch on my Sapphire and I got a confirmation screen while doing it.

I think the only way it can truly be fixed is if Nintendo Did it for you. P99: For your information you can buy extensions to your warranty. If you do it yourself AFTER buying an extension and Nintendo finds out your warranty. They can tell if you have done messed with the opening and closing because they use special screws to close them up and stuff.:)

How do you soft reset? I've been hearing about it but don't know how. (FR/LG) Also, how can you tell when a pokemon has good EVs/IVs?

On a GameBoy Advance: Simultaneously hold A, B, Start, and Select. The game will reset. Loading will cause you to load at your last save point (soft resetting doesn't save your game).
On a DS: It's L, R, Start, and Select instead.

As for IVs you will need to check an IV calculator. Most large sites have one. EVs are given when the Pokemon battles, so a trainer keeps track of those him/herself - other than that you really won't know a Pokemon's EVs at a glance.

Thanks DNA. I'll try the soft resetting with Mewtwo!

This technically is not a question regarding the game itself I'm about to ask, but I feel as if it really isn't important enough to deserve its own thread.

So I'm doing a solo of Pearl version involving Regigigas - I traded over a lv. 5 Regigigas into Pearl the first chance I got and since then have been using nothing but Gigas, except in forced double battles. (Yes, I know it's hacked, but that's not the point; keep reading.)

Right now I'm at the Elite Four. Regigigas is currently level 82 and knows Superpower, Fire Punch, Thunderpunch, and Stomp. Is it possible to take down the Elite Four in Pearl with him alone? And if so, should I swap out any moves? I'm thinking Thunderpunch -> Ice Punch and Stomp -> Return, but I want people's opinions before I jump into this.

...and if anyone's wondering, the reason I did a Regigigas solo is because it's really really fun and I like Regigigas.

Well if Regigigas has maxed friendship Return is definately better than Stomp. Ice Punch is really helpful for taking out Garchomp and some of Bertha's pokemon, while Thunderpunch is really only good on Milotic, so I'd say those changes are good. Also, you might want to stock up on X Items and healing items to use before Regigigas gets over his Slow Start.

Sounds like a plan! I was thinking Ice Punch as well because of Garchomp and Bertha, and I really couldn't remember anything that Thunderpunch got that Fire/Ice Punch didn't. Hopefully he's got max friendship but I'd been using bitter healing items since Eterna or so (cheap and effective); however I still think at this point Return will still be stronger than Stomp regardless.

I'll work on it tonight, hopefully! Thank you!

Does anyone know how to get shinies the fastest way without having to use a AR code to hack the pokemon?

In Generation 4 there is Poke Radar chaining. In Gens 4 and 5 there's the Masuda method (breed a Pokemon with one from a foreign game), which makes an egg 4 times more likely to be shiny (or 6 in Gen 5). In Gen 2, if one of the parents was shiny there was a 1/64 chance the baby would be shiny (which is pretty high).

And most of it is just luck, unless you use RNG/know your Secret ID.

Is it me,or is it possible for Syncronise to not work after a whie,since I caught a Mewtwo seven different times to try to get a Modest one via soft reseting,and NONE of them were Modest.Syncronise makes it so there's a 50% chance of the wild pokemon having the same nature as it,so you would think that atleast one of them would have the Modest nature.

*EDIT* It IS at the lead of my party.

Your problem may be that the Pokemon is not at the start of your party. It needs to be at the start to use Synchronize.

So if I got a Shiny in HG/SS then would the 1/64 chance still be effective since it is a gen 2 game technically or is it considerred a gen 4 game now?:) Thanks XD.:)

HGSS is not a Gen 2 game and the odds for calculating shininess are totally different.

I thought they were gen 2 games just with the 4th gen Pokedex instead. and Wi-Fi capabilities. That was the only 2 differences. So the chance is still 1/8192 then XD?:)

Yep, that's the base chance. And Masuda Method brings that up to 4/8192.

I don't have any foreign Pokemon though to do that XD. Thanks anyway though.:)

If this question wasn't already answered:

Is it me,or is it possible for Syncronise to not work after a whie,since I caught a Mewtwo seven different times to try to get a Modest one via soft reseting,and NONE of them were Modest.Syncronise makes it so there's a 50% chance of the wild pokemon having the same nature as it,so you would think that atleast one of them would have the Modest nature.

*EDIT* It IS at the lead of my party.
What game are you trying that in?

The out-of-battle effects of abilities were introduced in Emerald, so trying to use the effect of Synchronize or Flame Body outside of battle in RS or FRLG won't work.
Maybe that is the cause? If you're doing it in a game like HGSS though, then you're probably just unlucky...

Why would this not work in FR/LG? Wasn't FR/LG released after Emerald? I though Emerald was befor FR/LG. FR/LG came out in 2004 and Emerald came out in 03 or do I have it backwards and did Emerald come out in 05? Thanks. However I don't see why FR/LG would not have this feature since it was a remake so that should have been applied.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back