Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

RE: The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

^Uhh, Donphan KOs with Heavy Impact, but this isn't the place to say this.

@umbeosion: Yeah, singles are great, but you might want to wait until the card prices in ND go down, since the cards that receive hype always get priced high. Maybe a month or so, but if you're really anxious to get them, try to go for the cheaper ones. ;D

Price Range: As cheap as I can find them, probably anywhere between $80-95/box
What I am thinking of buying: Booster Box(es) to get back into the game
Extra: I am just returning to the game recently, I have purchased a small amount of cards and just want to get an opinion of what is the best to get started on. I've read through the thread and have a decent idea and would just like more feedback if possible. Not 100% sure what I plan to build as a deck, but just want to figure out a place to get started. Also, I did manage to buy a Unleashed booster box for $60 yesterday so that's a start :x

Not really "What" should I buy but more like "Why" should I buy.

So today I was given one of those booster packs plus sampling pack packages as a gift. I understood when B&W was coming soon they had sampling packs to hype that set. But for Emerging Powers and Noble Victories I don't see the point of sampling packs at all. Am I missing something?

trondog said:
Price Range: As cheap as I can find them, probably anywhere between $80-95/box
What I am thinking of buying: Booster Box(es) to get back into the game
Extra: I am just returning to the game recently, I have purchased a small amount of cards and just want to get an opinion of what is the best to get started on. I've read through the thread and have a decent idea and would just like more feedback if possible. Not 100% sure what I plan to build as a deck, but just want to figure out a place to get started. Also, I did manage to buy a Unleashed booster box for $60 yesterday so that's a start :x
Get noble victories or hgss. Hgss has the best staples for a new player as well as donphan. Noble victories has the best all around good cards as well as 5 FA's.

Should I buy a booster box of Dark Rush? I think it looks cool, and wanna buy some Japanese Booster Box! :D

BlastBurn said:
Should I buy a booster box of Dark Rush? I think it looks cool, and wanna buy some Japanese Booster Box! :D

I would only advise that, if you plan on collecting Japanese cards. If you do plan on collecting them, Welcome to the club.

Should I buy Magnezone Primes now at 18$? Will thier prices increase over time (after all, Eelzone is winning many cities)?

Ive got around 30 bucks and I think im just gonna just buy some NV packs what do you think

@EonEye99: I don't think Magnezone will increase in price by a lot. It really depends on how the EX Pokemon help or hurt our format. If you think they are going to become more valuable, go for it.

@Kiefer_777: Never buy single packs if you have more than 10 dollars. It's usually better to buy blister packs and tins to get some other valuable items that may be worth something. Normally I would be saying not to spend all of your money on pieces of cardboard, but it's up to you.

I got a victini tin for x-mas and got the fliptini,v-create,rev landorus, and rev hydreigon so I might get that and something else

What's the best way to procure a Kyurem?

I don't want to pay out the butt for one.

If you're looking for a good price, you might be best off hunting auctions on Ebay. There's one on there as a BIN for $15 with free shipping, and quite a few on auction. Otherwise, see if you can maybe trade for one if you really don't want to spend money.

Whatever you do, don't buy packs whenever you're looking for a single card. Just not worth it.

If I only collect Ultra Rares, is it more cost efficient to buy Japanese booster boxes or wait till the English release? Where I come from En booster boxes cost $111 per box (not sure about JP boxes) but only net me 2 FAs per box, while Japanese booster boxes seem to net about 2 ultra rares per box with 1/3 the cost. Is this true?

sendoh said:
If I only collect Ultra Rares, is it more cost efficient to buy Japanese booster boxes or wait till the English release? Where I come from En booster boxes cost $111 per box (not sure about JP boxes) but only net me 2 FAs per box, while Japanese booster boxes seem to net about 2 ultra rares per box with 1/3 the cost. Is this true?

If you're only in it for the Ultra Rares (in this case Full Arts), you definitely want English boxes. You aren't even guaranteed a FA in Japanese boxes. I bought one HB box and one PD box, and I didn't get one FA. In my English boxes, I got both of the FAs in the set.

If you're talking about regular EXs, we won't know until Next Destinies is released.

Mudkip said:
If you're only in it for the Ultra Rares (in this case Full Arts), you definitely want English boxes. You aren't even guaranteed a FA in Japanese boxes. I bought one HB box and one PD box, and I didn't get one FA. In my English boxes, I got both of the FAs in the set.

If you're talking about regular EXs, we won't know until Next Destinies is released.

Thanks for the reply, yes I was talking about the ultra rares, the EXs. I'm not too sure about the pull rates for English boxes actually, from my impression its something like this, correct me if I'm wrong:

EX-era: 3-5 Ex per box
DPP: 2 Level X per box
HGSS: 4-6 primes/legends per box?
BW: 2 FAs per box

whereas for JP boxes, probably 2 ultra-rares per box.

So I'm guessing that for Next Destinies is also going to continue this trend, but I guess like you said we'll have to wait and see.

The EXes in the Japanese set aren't really ultra-rares. They're numbered with the regular cards. The ultra-rares of the Japanese boxes would be the Full Arts and the Shiny cards, both of which have an extended numbering system.

You're right in that you'll get around 2 EXes per box in the Japanese set, but you'll get 0-1 of the Ultra Rares.

As far as your original question goes, I'd really only suggest buying the Japanese booster boxes if you have an interest in Japanese cards. I like them myself, generally because I think they're more nicely done than the English-released counterparts.

We don't know exactly what the pull rates will be for the EXes in the English release, but I personally subscribe to the theory that they'll be about Prime-level rarity, which would put them around ~6 per box or so. It seems like, generally speaking, it's a bit easier to pull rarer cards in an English box than a Japanese box, though part of that is bound to be because you get almost twice as many packs in an English booster box (36) than you do in a Japanese box (20).

the ex era a couple of the ex series boxes only had 1 ex in it whole most had 2-3.dpp same only a few had 1 lvl x in the box.

Artemis said:
The EXes in the Japanese set aren't really ultra-rares. They're numbered with the regular cards. The ultra-rares of the Japanese boxes would be the Full Arts and the Shiny cards, both of which have an extended numbering system.

You're right in that you'll get around 2 EXes per box in the Japanese set, but you'll get 0-1 of the Ultra Rares.

As far as your original question goes, I'd really only suggest buying the Japanese booster boxes if you have an interest in Japanese cards. I like them myself, generally because I think they're more nicely done than the English-released counterparts.

We don't know exactly what the pull rates will be for the EXes in the English release, but I personally subscribe to the theory that they'll be about Prime-level rarity, which would put them around ~6 per box or so. It seems like, generally speaking, it's a bit easier to pull rarer cards in an English box than a Japanese box, though part of that is bound to be because you get almost twice as many packs in an English booster box (36) than you do in a Japanese box (20).

Thanks for the informative reply. While its likely that the normal EXs will get ~prime rarity, the FA EXs remain to be seen. If they get ~LEGEND rarity, it is more cost-efficient to get En boxes, while if they get ~Gold Star rarity, it is better to get Jp boxes, since the pull rate for FAs for Jp boxes seem to be about 1 in 3 boxes.

LegendsLugia251 said:
the ex era a couple of the ex series boxes only had 1 ex in it whole most had 2-3.dpp same only a few had 1 lvl x in the box.

Can you name the specific sets? The only instance which I remember where a poketuber pulled 2 exs was IIRC Ex Legend Maker.

sendoh said:
Thanks for the informative reply. While its likely that the normal EXs will get ~prime rarity, the FA EXs remain to be seen. If they get ~LEGEND rarity, it is more cost-efficient to get En boxes, while if they get ~Gold Star rarity, it is better to get Jp boxes, since the pull rate for FAs for Jp boxes seem to be about 1 in 3 boxes.

I think most of us have been assuming that the EX FAs will have the same pull ratio as the rest of the BW FAs, namely 2 per box. Again, this isn't known for a fact yet, but it's something to keep in mind.

At this point, I think your best bet is simply to wait and see how the ND pull ratios end up being, since that will likely impact the pull ratios for the EX/FAs for the rest of the BW sets.

Hello, I am returning to the game after many years. (I played from 1999-2000)

My girlfriend's kids have an interest in pokemon so I figured this would be the perfect game for them and a good excuse for me to start spending money on 'toys' for myself. So I am wondering what boosters and starters I should start buying, it has to be engaging enough for myself or ill have a hard time justifying buy them more cards. I read that the legal sets now are from heartgold soulsilver and up. I am attracted to call of legends booster box being I actually recognize the names of some of those pokemon, lol. Would it be a mistake to invest in this expansion? Could someone build a competitive deck from call of legends?

Thanks for any advice.

Back