OU: Strategy The X and Y Metagame Discussion Thread

RE: The X and Y Metagame Speculation Thread

^Yeah, and I mean Staraptor was BL not because it was "bad" in OU, but because even with less-than-ideal typing, sr weakness, crappy defense, and slightly above average speed, it utterly demolished everything in UU. Even with defensive behemoths like Bronzong, Rhyperior, Cofagrigus, and Registeel residing in the tier, it still pummeled its way out of the tier. Imagine what it would do if we took away its SR weankess and gave Close Combat STAB. :x

TDL also pointed out to me that smogon has a Flying/Fighting type in their CAP metagame called Tomahawk, and it's apparently the most used pokemon in the tier. (Although it does get STAB Hurricane and Aura Sphere instead of BB and CC.)

Flying + Fighting is such a strong type combination. I've beaten many players with Bulk Up Tornadus using acrobatics (with flying gem) and superpower. Whatever flying doesnt hit, fighting hits for neutral or super-effective damage. The two typings just compliment each other really well, especially in OU with stuff like breloom, keldeo, terrakion, etc. running around. I think there's a high chance that this new pokemon will be placed in OU. Of course, it all depends on stats/ability like you said. But i'm looking forward to seeing how a pokemon that now gets BOTH flying and fighting stab will impact the meta. A lot of current pokemon will become unviable, im sure.

Also, Mega Mawile will be eating this pokemon up. Fairy typing too OP.

Isn't Fighting the only type Flying has left to be paired up with? A Fighting/ Flying type is just what the metagame needs. Awesome type combination both offensively and defensively, and introducing it when Fairy-type who Fighting-types are weak to are introduced as well, this will certainly out to be a very interesting addition.

I only predict that this Fighting/ Flying will get some good offensive Ability (like Sheer Force/ Reckless) but will have okay-stats.

TPO3 said:
So the leaker we have says there is going to be a Flying/Fighting-type next gen. Just take a moment to consider that Flying/Fighting STAB hits basically half the type chart (Dark, Steel, Rock, Ice, Normal, Bug, Grass, AND Fighting, 8/18 types) super-effectively. Literally the ONLY pokemon we know of at this time that resist both STABs at the same time are Zapdos and Honedge/Doublade. It would probably get STAB on Brave Bird and Close Combat/Superpower OR Hurricane and Aura Sphere/Focus Blast. You resist Bug, Fighting, Grass, Dark, and are Immune to Ground.

Also consider: Since you're a Flying-type, you're immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and you probably get Roost (which can circumstantially help you alleviate your weakness to Ice and Electric). Since you're a Fighting-type, you are no longer weak to Stealth Rock nor Stone Edge.

I realize it all depends on base stats but I mean still...discuss o_o

EDIT: I guess that Dedenne pokemon resists both STABs too, but it's like this gen's Pikachu so it's pretty irrelevant.

The way Hawlucha looks and sounds (by its name), I'm guessing it will be physically-based. It seems to be based off of wrestling. I swear, I'll end up nicknaming mine Ray Mysterio (if it would only fit) or something.

Now, for some of you who have followed Smogon's CAP project, this might bring back some memories. This is somewhat how I want Hawlucha to turn out, but I'll probably be disappointed.

~AoH

Flying will become the best offensive typing in gen 6. In the current gen 5 metagame, Flying has superior mono coverage over Dragon due to the sparsity of Rock and Electric Pokemon. This will become further exaggerated once Fairy Pokemon enter the fray.

So at first I was like "FIRE/DRAGON CHARIZARD!!!"

Then I was like "oh it doesn't even get drought when it's dragon -.-"

Still though, Mega Charizard X-version is Fire/Dragon which is...terrible defensive typing lol. Weak to Dragon, Fairy, Rock, and Ground (no more EQ Immunity :() but on the upside, at least you're not weak to Water, Ice, or Electric. (And you still double resist grass lol!) It's pretty good offensive typing though, and you get a /significant/ attack increase. Anything Dragon doesn't hit (Steel and Fairy) is hit by fire. And Charizard learns Dragon Dance vie breeding, and Dragon Claw/Outrage in previous gens as well, which it will have STAB on, as well as its ability Tough Claws to back up. (Raises the power of all moves that directly contact the opponent. IDK if it gets any fire moves like that.) Still weak to Stealth Rock, but you only lose 25% instead of 50%. (Although you are now susceptible to Spikes and Tspikes.)

Discuss!

I still think Megazard Y will be more useful competitively. Everyone and his cousin is going to have a fairy type on their teams and pokemon that resist fire aren't exactly uncommon. Heatran will still see plenty of use in gen 6 due to its very handy typing against threats old and new (and will likely still wall all charizards, even with their new gen 6 movesets). I'm kind of curious now to see what shiny Megazard X looks like, if nothing else...

Note that you switch in regular Charizard before getting the chance to mega evolve it, so it's still effectively x4 weak to Stealth Rock.

TPO3 said:
So at first I was like "FIRE/DRAGON CHARIZARD!!!"

Then I was like "oh it doesn't even get drought when it's dragon -.-"

Still though, Mega Charizard X-version is Fire/Dragon which is...terrible defensive typing lol. Weak to Dragon, Fairy, Rock, and Ground (no more EQ Immunity :() but on the upside, at least you're not weak to Water, Ice, or Electric. (And you still double resist grass lol!) It's pretty good offensive typing though, and you get a /significant/ attack increase. Anything Dragon doesn't hit (Steel and Fairy) is hit by fire. And Charizard learns Dragon Dance vie breeding, and Dragon Claw/Outrage in previous gens as well, which it will have STAB on, as well as its ability Tough Claws to back up. (Raises the power of all moves that directly contact the opponent. IDK if it gets any fire moves like that.) Still weak to Stealth Rock, but you only lose 25% instead of 50%. (Although you are now susceptible to Spikes and Tspikes.)

Discuss!

Just pointing out that ChariXard isn't weak to Fairy; Fire's resistances neutralizes the damage.

2luoxgg.jpg

Hawlucha confirmed to have Unburden and Roost. The stats and movepool lean to it being a physical attacker. 50 speed at level 19 means it will be somewhere around 90 base speed.

Let the Flying Gem Acrobatics spam commence.

>assuming it even learns acrobatics
also, it may very well have an evo, with better speed too (though ability isn't guaranteed to stay the same)

also, never underestimate "trollfreak"'s ability to troll. There's at least one mon in every gen that just doesn't work (and they may or may not fix it later)

Actually, I'm way off. Assuming 31 IVs and no EVs, it can have at minimum 105 base speed. Assuming 0 IVs and no EVs, it can have at max 119 to 121 base speed.

unsheathed said:
Actually, I'm way off. Assuming 31 IVs and no EVs, it can have at minimum 105 base speed. Assuming 0 IVs and no EVs, it can have at max 119 to 121 base speed.

Remember Sceptile? We just got a much finer abuser of this Unburden stuff. Hopefully its attack also keeps with your calcs' pattern; it could have minimum ~100 Atk with 31 IVs and no EVs if I'm looking at this right.

Suffice to say, I'm really liking Hawlucha right now. Evo please.

~AoH

It's very unlikely that we'll see a Hawlucha evolution. The first leaked image of it had it at level 66.

(inb4 "h-he just didn't evolve it tdl". don't be silly)

30atdw9.jpg

Only level 35 and it's already at 120 defense. Good lord this thing is going to be (physically) bulky.

It's a sword....why is it defensive.

I wanted it to abuse no guard somehow :(

The only abuse you're going to get out of No Guard is defensively with Will-o-Wisp. :Y

Doublade disappoints me so much with that SDef and Speed. It looks like a good candidate for Double Dancing in lower tiers (lol), but I had high hopes for its stats. At least it can act as a (hopefully) amazing physical wall. Rapid Spin immunity and Toxic immunity, yes please.

~AoH

Doublade might evolve. I am hoping it gets more Defense and Special Defense/ Attack and Speed.

With those weird stats, I don't see it being an effective wall or a physical sweeper.

Shame that such a wonderful typing and Ability is being wasted.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what other threats XY brings to the table. Doublade's resistance to the Fighting/Rock combo has to count for something I suppose. If only it had Levitate, we'd then have the best answer to RS Excadrill to date.

Doublade has a base Attack stat sitting around 100? It'll be able to ward off weakened Starmie at least.

I calculated Mega Lucario's stats from a screeenshot I found, and well, it looks like Mega Lucario will have at least 135 Base Attack and 130 Base Special Attack. Add in Adaptability and you get a beast unlike any other.

P. S. I am bad at maths, so there are high chances that I am wrong.

Back