XY What do you think Gen 6's "gimmick" will be?

Bogleech said:
have been waiting for a three type pokemon, I though we would get it with black and white Kyurem buuuut I guess not

There would never be any logical reason for a three type pokemon, it wouldn't add any balance to the game (quite the opposite) or give the pokemon any better advantage than any two-type combo. Abilities are already used to express additional elemental properties beyond that.

Um....unless your talking ubers and they made it a legendary then it wouldn't be allowed in ou and wouldn't be allowed in tourneys. I don't see how it hurts it too much, I guess it would depend on the types they give it, but more types means more weaknesses but more STAB for attacks and more flexibility.

Double. Battle. Champion.
Seems difficult actually. Most people just invest their time into one Pokemon, so if your opponent has two out, makes it harder because now you will need at least two good Pokemon in your team.

RogueChomp said:
Double. Battle. Champion.
Seems difficult actually. Most people just invest their time into one Pokemon, so if your opponent has two out, makes it harder because now you will need at least two good Pokemon in your team.

Oh please do it. It would be so cool. After playing a couple of games, you will realize that you can't just win with 1 or 2 good Pokemon + the Legendary in level 50.

Having Gen VI Pokemon with 3 Types at a time would be interesting and hopefully it won't mess up the connectivity with previous Pokemon games where most Pokemon only have 1-2 Types at a time.

Depending on how well it's done, dual abilities and dual type attacks would be interesting.

Card Slinger J said:
Having Gen VI Pokemon with 3 Types at a time would be interesting and hopefully it won't mess up the connectivity with previous Pokemon games where most Pokemon only have 1-2 Types at a time.

Fire, ice, ground legendary...balanced weakness (4x water, 2x fighting, 4x rock I believe, 2x fighting ect) and good coverage.

I could see two type attacks. It might get crazy though :/

two-type attacks would not only be needlessly confusing, they'd have no actual impact or use. It would always be VASTLY more likely for any given target to resist one of the two types, especially a dual-type opponent, than to be neutral or weak to both.

Bogleech said:
two-type attacks would not only be needlessly confusing, they'd have no actual impact or use. It would always be VASTLY more likely for any given target to resist one of the two types, especially a dual-type opponent, than to be neutral or weak to both.

Unless there was some bonus to the damage.....like double STAB.

For example they could then be used as signature attacks of exotic dual type pokemon.

Or for combos that are kinda common and logical, like Water/Ground.

Bogleech said:

Hmmmm lets think, you use a psychic/fire attack on a grass/dark pokemon

I would believe the ineffective and super effective would cancel out and it would do neutral damage.

Double STAB would be too powerful and OHKO's would be too rampant

catutie said:

I would believe the ineffective and super effective would cancel out and it would do neutral damage.

Nope, immunities don't "cancel out", they're x0. So a Grass/Dark type would be immune to any pure or part Psychic attack.

Multitype moves would be way too imbalanced, especially for certain combos. Like if you used a Psychic/Flying move on a Fighting type, that particular move could pretty much wreck any pure Fighting type or Fighting type that doesn't resist one of the two types. Even worse, if that second type is also weak to Psychic or Flying like Grass/Fighting or Poison/Fighting, you're looking at a x8 weakness, and very few Pokemon could survive that. Sorry, but that just ruins the balance of this game.

Perhaps Primary types will hold more significant values over secondary types?

Jay said:
Perhaps Primary types will hold more significant values over secondary types?

Now there's an idea. It would certainly give primary types a distinction over secondary ones.

Mitja said:
Bogleech said:

Unless there was some bonus to the damage.....like double STAB.

For example they could then be used as signature attacks of exotic dual type pokemon.

Or for combos that are kinda common and logical, like Water/Ground.

I would quit Pokemon if they added double type attacks, no really, that would confuse me and annoy me. No, just no.

Bolt the Cat said:
catutie said:

Nope, immunities don't "cancel out", they're x0. So a Grass/Dark type would be immune to any pure or part Psychic attack.

Multitype moves would be way too imbalanced, especially for certain combos. Like if you used a Psychic/Flying move on a Fighting type, that particular move could pretty much wreck any pure Fighting type or Fighting type that doesn't resist one of the two types. Even worse, if that second type is also weak to Psychic or Flying like Grass/Fighting or Poison/Fighting, you're looking at a x8 weakness, and very few Pokemon could survive that. Sorry, but that just ruins the balance of this game.

If the attack is essentially half Psy and half Flying, its just logical to make the weakness/resistance modifiers halved too.

Psy/Fly --> Grass/Fight = 2*0.5 + 4*0.5 = 3x

But then you have to opposite... those attacks would be good only in special cases, and therefore a waste of moveslot.
Unless there was some added incentive like a dual STAB for the right pokemon, but it still sounds gimmicky.

I think the issue of huge weaknesses shoud be addressed seperately somehow though, because its currently too painful to have quadruple weaknesses...
Take Aggron for example... Steel/Rock, its supposed to be freakin sturdy as hell, and even has the stats for that. But unfortunately, these types happen to share 2 of devastating weaknesses, resulting in Aggron dying to any Fight or Ground (which are 2 of the most popular offensive move types), no matter how hard you invest in its defense, simply because 4x.
Same goes for dual types who suffer from the same cause, like Rock&Ground.

So Id first try to lower that down.
Personally, Id make a defending Pokemons secondary type count only half as much.

So Earthquake -> Steel/Rock = 2*1 + 2*0.5 = 3x

which lowers all those nasty quad weaknesses down a bit, to triple.

Not sure how secondary type immunities would work though. Probably still 0x.

Mitja said:
I think the issue of huge weaknesses shoud be addressed seperately somehow though, because its currently too painful to have quadruple weaknesses...
Take Aggron for example... Steel/Rock, its supposed to be freakin sturdy as hell, and even has the stats for that. But unfortunately, these types happen to share 2 of devastating weaknesses, resulting in Aggron dying to any Fight or Ground (which are 2 of the most popular offensive move types), no matter how hard you invest in its defense, simply because 4x.

Personally, Id make a defending Pokemons secondary type count only half as much.

Agree with this idea, although I would like to point out that type advantage bonuses multiply instead of adding. No big deal, though, you can still achieve the same results by having the secondary type be x1.5. This is also the reason why immunities cannot cancel, because 0 multiplied by anything is still 0.

Bolt the Cat said:
Mitja said:

Agree with this idea, although I would like to point out that type advantage bonuses multiply instead of adding. No big deal, though, you can still achieve the same results by having the secondary type be x1.5. This is also the reason why immunities cannot cancel, because 0 multiplied by anything is still 0.

Hmmm but that seems a bit unfair, it's super effective so x2 but just because of immunity it ruins it? Technically only half the attack is useless so maybe x1? Or x.5? Uhhhhgggg GF please don't do this to us 0-0 my head will hurt an I'll actually have to go to the trainer school in the game :/

catutie said:
Hmmm but that seems a bit unfair, it's super effective so x2 but just because of immunity it ruins it? Technically only half the attack is useless so maybe x1? Or x.5? Uhhhhgggg GF please don't do this to us 0-0 my head will hurt an I'll actually have to go to the trainer school in the game :/

It's more realistic if immunities aren't countered by normal means (you can, however, use certain moves and abilities like Gravity, Smack Down, etc.). Let me use an example. Let's say you're using a Ground type against Emolga. Sure, Electric type means it's susceptible to Ground type moves, but does that have any bearing on the fact that Flying is immune to Ground? No, it doesn't. Emolga's Electric type characteristics don't affect its ability to fly, which is what makes Flying types immune to Ground in the first place. It's the same with every other immunity, they can't be cancelled out by other types like that.

they already memtioned there was gonna be a new system that the pokemon get stronger with your bond.. not wure what they have in mind for that

Bolt the Cat said:
catutie said:

It's more realistic if immunities aren't countered by normal means (you can, however, use certain moves and abilities like Gravity, Smack Down, etc.). Let me use an example. Let's say you're using a Ground type against Emolga. Sure, Electric type means it's susceptible to Ground type moves, but does that have any bearing on the fact that Flying is immune to Ground? No, it doesn't. Emolga's Electric type characteristics don't affect its ability to fly, which is what makes Flying types immune to Ground in the first place. It's the same with every other immunity, they can't be cancelled out by other types like that.

True, that makes more sense.

Wait....with this new system of battling....do you think it might be more like the anime? You can order your pokemon to dodge and use the environment? Maybe make it so depending on how well you time a dodge is how likely it will work, then have it like I don't know, kingdom hearts 2 battle system and have tha attacker hit a button to adapt to an enemies dodge with something new or miss your chance and your turn is over? I think I'm confusing myself...

Back