XY What Do You Think of the Starters?

For me, this is the first time the three initial call me so much attention. I'm undecided.
You have to wait for the final evolutions. I hope it does not end up Fennekin Fire / Fighting. At the moment I expect anything.
Surely I choose (if Fennekin is Fire / Fighting) to Froakie to make "slave MO".

They aren't my favorite bunch but at least I don't dislike or hate them.
As always, I'm choosing the grass-type one, but Fennekin and Froakie seem a good choice.
Until the rumors of their evolution's types I guessed that Chespin's back and "hat" would develop into some kind of jumpsuit and maybe become some sort of Emolga, but now I'm clueless.
If Fennekin does evolve into a Psychic I'm thinking that it might turn into a bipedal Pokémon with the ear's fur becoming hair (resembling some mystic fire). I don't have a theory for Froakie.

This is the most I've liked a set of starters since Gen II! In general, I feel like the new Pokémon designs this gen are looking less stiff and more naturalistic, and it makes me happy.

Would you have guessed that Fennekin's my favorite? Well, he's my favorite! And it'll be nice to have a Fire/Psychic type that doesn't require you to jump through the dumb hoops that Darmanitan does. Since it's based on a desert-dwelling fox, I imagine its final form looking a bit like a desert tribal mystic of some sort, with long, flowing red hair. He would look the least outwardly intimidating of the three, but with a confident and serene disposition that tells you he's already foreseen the result of the battle, and let's just say he sees no reason to back down.

Froakie would be my second favorite. He's actually the first frog-based Pokémon whose design I like, so that's quite an accomplishment! Since we already have a fat, bulky Water/Fighting type in Poliwrath, its final form will probably be tall and lanky and flexible like an old kung-fu master from the movies, using its powerful frog legs to pull off seemingly gravity-defying stunts. We'll love the way it looks, and then we'll regret it when we're still getting Water/Fighting starters in Gen VIII.

That would make Chespin my least favorite of the three, but I still like him. He just looks derpy, like most Grass starters. And it's really hard to picture what he'll evolve into. Grass/Dark? This guy? Really? I assume its headdress thing will become spiky armor covering most of its body, like a chestnut, but I really don't know. For some reason, my mind keeps going back to Armored Armadillo from Mega Man X. But, y'know, with spikes.

FennekinWright said:
I assume its headdress thing will become spiky armor covering most of its body, like a chestnut, but I really don't know. For some reason, my mind keeps going back to Armored Armadillo from Mega Man X. But, y'know, with spikes.

Now that you mention it, Chespin does have spikes. Maybe he'll get the move. I'm sure that will boost his competitive use if he does.

Chespin is by far my favorite starter. Fennekin is a fan favorite and a fire type; two reason I won't get it :L Froakie's iffy, but Chespin's cool to me

I always choose my starter based on which one I think has to coolest final evolutionary form. At the moment I like Fennekin the most but that can change when the evolutions are revealed.

I choose what is the most useful in the story part of the game usually so only time will tell. However i see people saying chespin is based on a chestnut but no one seems to realize it is just a hedge hog, So dark makes the most sense for the nonbelievers.

zappy800 said:
I choose what is the most useful in the story part of the game usually so only time will tell. However i see people saying chespin is based on a chestnut but no one seems to realize it is just a hedge hog, So dark makes the most sense for the nonbelievers.

Me 2: What is he some kind of cult... Pokemon don't have no believers.
Me 1: CHESPIN IS HT BERST. HAY DESRFERV A CLUT!!! GIVE HIM A CLUT!!!! HE IS THE BEST!!!! *head explodes*

Oh and I'm the second me...

Anyway,

Chespin is definitely my favourite.
Froakie will be the one for my second playthrough.
Fennekin will be the one that loses a Nuzlocke (May or may not be on purpose.)

-----

Anyone else realise this:

Fennekin
fenneKING

:eek: HE IS THE KING. Official news:

Chespin has a cult, Fennekin is king of Pokemon, and Froakie still lives in a swamp.

Hi my name is mega charizard. My opinion of the starters isn't complete since I haven't seen their final types or evos, but fennken looks like the best of the 3. I hope the rumor about their secondary types is true.

Just realized the current gym types we think exist makes fennekin the best choice since the first is a bug gym another is a fighting gym another is either electric or steel. The last is probably a rock gym.

mega charizard said:
I think they push fire starters more than the others. It seems like they end up marketed better.

They do heck 2 of my favorite starters are fire types. One has even made it on a cover box technically 3 times.

Keep this thread on-topic about the Kalos starters! Other conversations can also be done through private messages or profile comments!

I like them all but I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get Chespin or Fennekin. I will most likely go with Fennekin though.

[private]Edited to fix grammar. *Drohn
I like them all but im having a hard time deciding whether to get chespin or finnekin i will most likely go wit finnekin though.
[/private]

I really like Fennekin, but it depends on the evolutions. I will probably go with either Fennekin or Chepsin.

Haha, at first I was on the Fenni train, then Chespin grew on me, despite it's near "reskin" of Oshawott he's adorable! Plus he's a little curious trickster, according to his Entry so far.

So, for my main game, Chespin.
Then Froakie screams Ninja Frog. And that's just amazing.
Unfortunately Fenni dropped to the bottom of my list. That's not to say I don't like it, I just prefer the other two. . .

Chespy FTW! :D

And uhm, while you're at it if you could please be Grass/Dark

That'd be great.

I really don't want Froakie to end up a Water/Fighting type, because then it'll end up like Empoleon (sucking against the fire starter of that gens secondary type), which is why I would like it to be Water/Dark type more.

MuhFugginMoose said:
Haha, at first I was on the Fenni train, then Chespin grew on me, despite it's near "reskin" of Oshawott he's adorable! Plus he's a little curious trickster, according to his Entry so far.

How is Chespin a reskin of Oshawott? Oshawott is more of a reskin of Piplup, as they have the same basic body and at least Chespin isn't made of just two circles and it has a better design overall.

Blob55 said:
I really don't want Froakie to end up a Water/Fighting type, because then it'll end up like Empoleon (sucking against the fire starter of that gens secondary type), which is why I would like it to be Water/Dark type more.

Why is that so important though? (I've been wondering why it matters at all for a long time tbh)

I mean, something like this just shows up all the time when new starters are discussed/speculated. Usually people want the starters extra types to be only strong against the starter that they are meant to be strong against already, or they want all of them having secondary types that go the other way around.

Surely its not because the situation is common where starters are facing each other, apart from the ingame rival, which tends to have the starter strong against the players exactly to make you use more than just your starter.
And when they happen outside of that, they're not the same gen most of the time anyway (or heck they're the same starter type ala Charizard vs Infernape).
So I assume its all about it feeling "nice" in a conceptual sense when looked at as a set?

But to me that sounds forced. I wouldn't want them to ditch great designs for the sake of getting the types "right" for example. If they get fitting types that seem to form a triangle by coincidence more or less, that's cool.

Also, looking at it practically, STAB moves are never the only options for offense.
So, for example Water starters have been capable of learning Ice moves for more than a decade, obliberating Grass starters if need be...so it isn't the deciding factor in battles either.

Mitja said:
Blob55 said:

Why is that so important though? (I've been wondering why it matters at all for a long time tbh)

I mean, something like this just shows up all the time when new starters are discussed/speculated. Usually people want the starters extra types to be only strong against the starter that they are meant to be strong against already, or they want all of them having secondary types that go the other way around.

Surely its not because the situation is common where starters are facing each other, apart from the ingame rival, which tends to have the starter strong against the players exactly to make you use more than just your starter.
And when they happen outside of that, they're not the same gen most of the time anyway (or heck they're the same starter type ala Charizard vs Infernape).
So I assume its all about it feeling "nice" in a conceptual sense when looked at as a set?

But to me that sounds forced. I wouldn't want them to ditch great designs for the sake of getting the types "right" for example. If they get fitting types that seem to form a triangle by coincidence more or less, that's cool.

Also, looking at it practically, STAB moves are never the only options for offense.
So, for example Water starters have been capable of learning Ice moves for more than a decade, obliberating Grass starters if need be...so it isn't the deciding factor in battles either.

I also think Dark type would fit Froakie more, as it evolves into Geckoboss and when I think of boss in Pokémon, I think of Giovanni and Honchkrow, a Dark type Pokémon that I'm pretty sure Giovanni had in HGSS.

Also, I can't really imagine Chespin becoming a Dark type, as it looks more like a Fighting type to me and we saw it flex in the XY animé trailer.

OK to address your thoughts Blob.

1. Geckoboss is a rumour sure the name is trademarkked but we don't know what it is yet.

2. Chespin is a hedgehog which is nocturnal so dark makes a lot of sense.

3. The anime does not matter or get things right.

Back