XY What Is Your Opinion on The Fairy-type? Think Pokémon, Type-Distribution, etc.

RE: Your views on the Fairy type-distribution and the Fairy type Pokemon

Genius715 said:
The first three Pokemon that we were introduced that were re-typed all are incredibly strong now. Jigglypuff looses its original weakness and becomes strong against it. Marill becomes much stronger and has weakness only to Electric, Poison, and Grass (which can be lost with Sap Sipper). Marill also has many resistances (Fire, Ice, Water, Fighting, Dark, Bug) plus an immunity to Dragon. And Gardevoir loses its double weakness to Bug and Dark.

These Pokemon and their evolutions are going to upset overall gameplay and strategy.

are you actually implying people might use wigglytuff?

its stats are utter crap. base 45 defense and 50 special defense is absolute shit.
it could die to a single priority attack (special mention to bullet punch, now hitting it super effectively).
having fairy type isn't a huge amazing boost for wigglytuff, the only stat it has above 75 is hp (which doesnt have any good defenses to back it up).
it cant hit hard, nor can it survive much. it cant even outspeed anything, so it will just stay sucky.
i highly doubt, even with the fairy typing, this thing will see any play outside ru. people might use it uu occasionally, but it wouldn't stand a chance in ou whatsoever.

gardevoir im not sure about - it could stay ru, maybe go up to uu

Azumarill i can see getting more usage in play, especially if theres a decent powered physical fairy attack (if draining kiss is physical then that might be nice for it). however, i still cant see it making a huge impact on the metagame.
edit: Azumarill likely has its good physical Fairy move.
a new move was revealed in a trailer; Play Around.
it did more than 50% to a Haxorus from a Marill
I saw a calculation where it calculated that it would need at least 95bp to 2hko haxy; this took everything into account - marill's stab, huge power, etc.
unless this has variable damage, or is some stupid variation of foul play, then it looks good
also, you mentioned Sap Sipper. that ability, whilst handy to be rendered immune to a weakness, is not really that great on azumarill, who's attack isn't that great without huge power.
azumarill's potential moveset:
-waterfall
-ice punch
-physical fairy move
-superpower (you could use return but if you do then you should rethink everything you know about competetive battling, since that is absolute awful compared to fighting coverage)
notice anything?
a defensive jellicent can:
switch in on 3/4 moves, and draining kiss may not do that much damage anyway
burn azumarill (which severely cripples it), and it can use giga drain to a) hit azumarill for SE damage and b) restore its own hp.
im assuming this could be our resident ou fairy

none of these 3 will have a huge impact on the metagame.

Except for Gardevoir which loses it's dark type weakness and is now strong to it and dragons.(not sure about ghost don't remember how effective that is on it.)

zappy800 said:
Except for Gardevoir which loses it's dark type weakness and is now strong o it and dragons.(not sure about ghost don't remember how effective that is on it.)

Gardevoirs new weakness/resistances:
-weak to Poison, Steel, Ghost
-resistant to Fighting, Psychic
-immune to Dragon

stats:
hp - 68
atk - 65
def - 65
spa - 125
spd - 115
speed - 80

its ok.
but notice something?
if it doesn't have HP fire or Focus Miss, then Scizor can safely come in and Bullet Punch it (or Pursuit).
Base 65 def isn't gonna do it any favors here either.

This may sound odd, but depending on its special defense, Honedge may be a semi-decent counter to this, and HP fire is probably the most threatening thing Gardy could use against it.
edit: Honedge also has Shadow Sneak, so it may be quite useful as a potential Gardevoir counter. if only it had Heatproof...

I love how people think that because fairies are immune to dragons, that automatically means they're gonna go straight up to ou.

P.DelSlayer said:
I love how people think that because fairies are immune to dragons, that automatically means they're gonna go straight up to ou.

It's the exact opposite of what people think, Fairy won't be overpowered, Dragon will just be less powerful.

The Fairy type does exactly what it needs to do, it powers down the Dragons. After a few generations, Dragon types aren't that uncommon anymore, another counter was needed. Now I come to think of it, the Fairy type does a better job at defeating Dragons than Ice does. I foresee one of their main objectives disappearing, finishing off Dragons. Ice got another opponent; Fairy.

Pokequaza said:
P.DelSlayer said:

It's the exact opposite of what people think, Fairy won't be overpowered, Dragon will just be less powerful.

From what I've seen, most people with no competitive experience are saying "OMG wigglytuff is immune to dragon = its gonna go straight to ou!!11!" or something along those lines.
Most people with actual competitive knowledge know that this isn't the case.

P.DelSlayer said:
Pokequaza said:

From what I've seen, most people with no competitive experience are saying "OMG wigglytuff is immune to dragon = its gonna go straight to ou!!11!" or something along those lines.

Indeed, whilst in theory it gains an immunity to Dragon, and a STAB super-effective Fairy move, it doesn't have the speed, nor the defences to handle the average Dragon.

Pokequaza said:
P.DelSlayer said:

Indeed, whilst in theory it gains an immunity to Dragon, and a STAB super-effective Fairy move, it doesn't have the speed, nor the defences to handle the average Dragon.

It doesn't really matter anyway most of us are probably going to use a 6th gen fairy for that. Also a lot of guys will avoid the fairy type just because they think it is girly which isn't strictly the case.

I love the fact that they added a new type!!! I would have preferred something like "Light" since it would have been something completely opposed to Dark/Ghost, but it's a good idea also Fairy... and it's a good way to divide all those "pinkish" pkmns from the other pkmns who are normal type but are very different from the pinkish ones XD
Obviously adding a new type they had to share it with the old pkmns...and that's pretty cool since some of them become a bit stronger and more useful. Mawile and Gardevoir are two of my favs! And now they are double-type :D
Moreover, they gave more importance to Poison and Steel type pkmns!

Heavy69Rotation said:
I love the fact that they added a new type!!! I would have preferred something like "Light" since it would have been something completely opposed to Dark/Ghost, but it's a good idea also Fairy... and it's a good way to divide all those "pinkish" pkmns from the other pkmns who are normal type but are very different from the pinkish ones XD
Obviously adding a new type they had to share it with the old pkmns...and that's pretty cool since some of them become a bit stronger and more useful. Mawile and Gardevoir are two of my favs! And now they are double-type :D
Moreover, they gave more importance to Poison and Steel type pkmns!

Yeah Gardevoir gets a pretty good boost from this. I was pretty happy when I read Fairy resists bug and dark. Mawile also gets a good boost when you add in the Mega form.

It's possible that Game Freak may have ran out of ideas for good Ice Type Pokemon in Gen VI which they're using as an excuse to create the new Fairy Type as a way to balance the competitive metagame to deal with Dragon Types because they feel like they are deemed too powerful even more so in Ubers IMO. I'll give Game Freak the benefit of the doubt, well designed Ice Type Pokemon aren't that easy to create compared to Fairy Types which gives them more flexibility in terms of originality and creativity in the Pokemon designs. I do love the design behind Amaura being an Ice/Rock Type from what I've heard and it's ability to turn Normal Type moves into Ice Type moves with Refrigerate seems solid.

With the popularity of Fairy Types keeping Dragon Types in check that means Poison and Steel Types will become even more popular in OU and other Tiers especially Gengar (Sludge Bomb) and Scizor (Bullet Punch) which are rumored to be getting mega evolutions in Gen VI. Also Toxic Spikes will be super effective against Fairies unless they are built like Steel where they don't take as much damage from Poison and Steel even though it's x2 weak to those Types. Forretress could be more relevant as a lead now to cover for Dragon Types you may run in your team like Dragonite, Garchomp, Hydreigon, and Salamence to get around Fairy Type Pokemon that have potential in OU such as Gardevoir and Sylveon depending on it's base stats while Forretress helps lay down Toxic Spikes to rack up damage, next few turns use Gyro Ball and/or Flash Cannon to mow down Fairies like no one's business.

Pink trading cards. That alone makes me welcome fairy types lol

Slap a scarf on Gardevoir, and watch her destroy. Risky, yes, and while I'm sure that there will be better fairy types, (Azumarill is already better), she is far from useless. 125 special attack is nothing to laugh at. A scarf can make a lot things surprise you, like Abomasnow. Doesn't always work, but when it does, oh boy does it work.

KiryatheDragonite said:
Slap a scarf on Gardevoir, and watch her destroy. Risky, yes, and while I'm sure that there will be better fairy types, (Azumarill is already better), she is far from useless. 125 special attack is nothing to laugh at. A scarf can make a lot things surprise you, like Abomasnow. Doesn't always work, but when it does, oh boy does it work.

that is, until she finds herself locked in a Fairy move against Scizor
Or Heatran
Or Ferrothorn

P.DelSlayer said:
KiryatheDragonite said:

Or Heatran
Or Ferrothorn

That applies to any Pokemon though, including Scizor. Scizor and Ferrothorn better watch out for Charizard, and all of the above for Garchomp, who tends to carry fire blast. I did note that using scarfed Gardevoir is risky above, but still carries potential.

KiryatheDragonite said:
P.DelSlayer said:
Or Heatran
Or Ferrothorn

That applies to any Pokemon though, including Scizor. Scizor and Ferrothorn better watch out for Charizard, and all of the above for Garchomp, who tends to carry fire blast. I did note that using scarfed Gardevoir is risky above, but still carries potential.

its not risky, its just not a good option for Gardie
a life orb set, a sub calm mind set, dual screens, they're all more viable sets for Gardie in ru right now.

if any of these Pokemon (which are highly common in the metagame right now, and will probably stay, especially since Fairies are gonna be more prominent) switch into a fairy or psychic move from her, she's gonna have to switch out. Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes and Spikes are now grinning evilly at Gardie
There's another problem.
her base defense is 65.
If she switches in on any physical attack, its gonna dent her, unless its either fighting or psychic. (altho just sayin, the psychic resistance may as well not be there, since there are like 0 physical psychic moves in ou play)

It could be done, but having it in OU is just not a good option.
It may not even see ou play... its in never used right now, so from a realistic point of view, uu may be the highest tier it sees.
It could easily become a resident in ru, but its most likely gonna stay put.

zappy800 said:
Pokequaza said:

It doesn't really matter anyway most of us are probably going to use a 6th gen fairy for that. Also a lot of guys will avoid the fairy type just because they think it is girly which isn't strictly the case.

That doesn't keep people from using Blissey or jirachi...

all the little kids that would feel that the fairy type are too girly will simply do what they did with every cute girly pokemon they wanted- give it a silly nickname (" that's it I'm cool again")

I'm so happy with the Fairy-type addition. It's good to see the type chart be re-calibrated, and I'm excited to finally have a reason to use Poison moves offensively. I do wish they would have made Ice resistant to Fairy, though. Ice's terrible defenses are the one unbalanced thing they didn't try to fix.

Poison Master said:
I'm so happy with the Fairy-type addition. It's good to see the type chart be re-calibrated, and I'm excited to finally have a reason to use Poison moves offensively. I do wish they would have made Ice resistant to Fairy, though. Ice's terrible defenses are the one unbalanced thing they didn't try to fix.

Agreed about the Poison types! Sludge Bomb is one of my favorite moves, now my Venusaur will be able to Mega Evolve and rain down acid bombardments on my opponent's fairies! Mwahaha!

I moved some of the posts made to this thread. You can discuss the Fairy-type and the Fairy-type Pokémon here. The other thread is for discussing which Pokémon/moves could become Fairy-type.

Back