Discussion What to play for the remaining State Championships?

Gabking5458

2016 MA TCG Senior Division Regional Champion!
Hey guys! As you know the first week of state championships has passed and we are all wondering what to play for the remaining states? Here is a list of how decks have done at State Championships so far (Masters).

1. *Night March had: 38 Top Cuts, 7 wins
2. YGZ had: 16 Top Cuts, 1 win
3. Seismitoad EX Variants had: 11 Top Cuts, 2 wins
4. M Manectric EX had: 10 Top Cuts, 0 wins
5. Vileplume/Vespiquen had: 7 Top Cuts, 2 wins
6. Greninja BREAK had: 6 Top Cuts, 1 win
7. Vespiquen had: 6 Top Cuts, 0 wins
8. M Rayquaza-EX had: 3 Top Cuts, 1 win
9. Manectric-EX/Bats had: 2 Top Cuts, 0 wins
10. Trevenant BREAK had: 2 Top Cuts, 0 wins

*This includes Night March/Vespiquen due to it being more Night March heavy.

So what do you guys think is the play for the remaining states? I personally think Mega Manectric-EX, YGZ and Vespiquen/Vileplume are good plays for states. What do you think?

Last edited:
I think it is still viable because Trevenant BREAK is the only real counter to Night March besides Seismitoad-EX. People are also scared to play it because it auto losses to YGZ and that isn't good for states; because you'll run into at least 1 or 2 out of 7 rounds.

I meant, is there anything new in Breakthrough/Breakpoint that Night March might be able to run that is making the deck do so well in States?

I know the Fighting Fury Belt does wonders in Night March. But how do you get Puzzle of Time to work in the deck?

Also, how do you get Seismitoad variants to work vs. Trevenant? I can't seem to set up fast enough.

Various websites. There's a nice list on the charizard lounge in particular.

Trevenant BREAK would have had a decent chance at MD States due to a very clear absence of Yveltal and an overwhelming number of Night March, yet there was no one playing it. 89 masters, not one enters the tournament with it.

I'd go with Mega-Manectric Garbodor at this point. Rather than stronger M-Manectric Mirrors, there aren't that many things it loses to.

I was thinking YGZ personally. It doesn't have any bad matchups if you add in xerosic.

What might be the safest deck to play if you're just coming back to the game and you don't know a thing about the meta? (Bear in mind that my States - FL - is going to be one of the largest in the nation.)

Back