Pokemon Will you admit to playing Pokemon?

Ysmir said:
There was a time like Driger said it was cool to hate on folks who liked Pokemon I'd say this started towards Gen 2 and into Gen 3. Even so, I never was afraid to admit I played it and people respected me for it. I was sort of a "in between worlds" in Elementary, Middle, and High School. I was popular and inherited a lot of friends my older brother left behind but I still was a "nerd" too. So I got the best of both worlds to be honest. I could play with my nerd buds during lunch or after school but I still had many other friends as well and no one made fun. Back then I was in Football and Wrestling. This also helped shield my less popular friends cause no one messed with them cause of me. I've been blessed. But man is it hard to find anyone these days in Arizona who plays.....but that's another story....

Samething went for me. I could admit to it because my presense, though welcomed, could be somewhat of a fear for most when I was irritated.

For me, being confident about any decision is the defining factor that will make you most happy with yourself. If you realize how little of a deal a decision to play Pokemon is, even if it is a huge obsession, then there shouldn't be anything offensive about that choice even if people make a big deal about it. The big issue is trying to relate with other kids in middle school, when puberty comes at random times for pretty much everyone. Trying to relate with others when nearly everyone else is trying to figure out if your "balls have dropped" or if you've "become a woman" is a big deal, and hobbies are definately an easy target as something that would define the "old you." I've kinda lost sight about what truly is childish about the game outside of the plot, and the cartoon is still just a cartoon, so it obviously has a target audience. The most appealing thing about Pokemon, to me, is the multiplayer aspect, and that's a great social tool.

The easy thing to say is don't let other people define you. I say "easy" not because it's difficult to listen yourself, but because it's both smart yet dangerous to listen and abide to other people's opinions. The easy way to figure out what is best for yourself is to feel what is right and what is wrong, but don't try to trick yourself. Don't get so carried away with listening to yourself that you become externally deaf, either. Make sure you stay safe, but realize that people want you to be safe and allow you to follow your own path. If you like Pokemon, then that's nothing unusual. That's the whole reason that it's successful, because people like it, so it isn't unusual to like a successful franchise. Basically, doing something independent of your own desires outside of wanting to abide to other people's wills is often not a smart thing to do for your well-being, but make sure you have the insight to know when people want to help you by giving you their opinions. Have confidence, and do what you think is right.

On this topic, I thought of two good essays from the Transcendentialist movement in literature, when people were encouraged to follow their own path. They're very critical of society as there is a lot of bias due to them writing in a time when certain freedoms of speech weren't permitted in America. They do, however, have some timeless insight about the importance of the concept of self. They're good reads for those who like to read, but I still recommend a general understanding of those works for everyone.

Civil Disobedience: http://www.transcendentalists.com/civil_disobedience.htm

Self-Reliance: http://www.emersoncentral.com/selfreliance.htm

I speak from experience, and I hope my insight helps people be more confident with their choice to like Pokemon. Solving bullying is a whole different issue, but being confident and happy with yourself is a deal of its own.

~L_X_F

I always admit to playing Pokémon, it's nothing to be ashamed of. When people ask me what my favorite game is, I usually blurt out either Pokémon Silver or Emerald.

I spent 4/5 of my classes in the band room. After I finish my work, I whip out my 3DS and play Black 2. Today was the day that my battery died on me (And I left my charger at home). I was well prepared. I whipped out he Gameboy Color and played Crystal. XD

Always in high school! My Gameboy color was always in my back pocket and when Black/White (1) came out i spent the entire day playing at school haha! Don't let them get to you cause they didnt get to have a magical childhood.

Why would anyone just blatantly say "Hey, so um...I play with pokemon cards." Definitely not the best pick up line to be honest. I never tell anyone unless they visit and see my collection of binders and ask me what's in them.

bagoly14 said:
Why would anyone just blatantly say "Hey, so um...I play with pokemon cards." Definitely not the best pick up line to be honest. I never tell anyone unless they visit and see my collection of binders and ask me what's in them.

That would actually work on me! </sarcasm>

...You think that telling people you play the Pokemon TCG is a pickup line? I have absolutely no idea what the best way to react to your statement is.

Of course I do. If my friends are friends, they won't judge me for playing a game (and they don't). Many of them play it, too. I bring my Nexus 7 to school all the time and play Pokemon Emerald on an emulator in front of my friends.

I have good friends that don't mind I play Pokemon, but they used to play it a grew out of it. I guess I never did. I also have friends that still play Pokemon. Now they're cool. :]

If a hot girl comes up to me and asks me if I play pokemon I would have to say no.... I just really play Pokemon for the money....Not for the enjoyment...

DNA said:
...You think that telling people you play the Pokemon TCG is a pickup line? I have absolutely no idea what the best way to react to your statement is.

To be fair, it can be a pickup line if the girl also plays it.

When I first started playing Pokemon I never admitted to playing it but now i'm just honest and I don't care who knows! :p

Riskbreakers said:
DNA said:

To be fair, it can be a pickup line if the girl also plays it.
That's something you generally don't say to a girl though haha. It is funny though how if you can convince your significant other to play, they usually enjoy it. I know a few guys who have gotten their GF's/Wives into the TCG. I actually took my lady to the Plasma Storm Pre-Release and she had a blast. We even will occasionally play a game at home though.

I love how I make a blatantly obvious sarcastic comment and everyone takes it seriously.
And that's another -1 for the hope of society.

Haunted Water said:
I love how I make a blatantly obvious sarcastic comment and everyone takes it seriously.

We all know that the real reason that Rome fell was because people had trouble reading sarcasm on the archeo-internet, or Interneticus, because of the lack of body language cues such as tone of voice and facial expressions.

Cinesra said:
Haunted Water said:

We all know that the real reason that Rome fell was because people had trouble reading sarcasm on the archeo-internet, or Interneticus, because of the lack of body language cues such as tone of voice and facial expressions.

Haunted Water said:
That would actually work on me! </sarcasm>
Was I not obvious?

Do you guys include pokemon when people ask you about your hobbies?
My grandpa recently asked what I'm in to.. ehh

Back