(1) Dragon-type Rayquaza, Salamence, and Haxorus from 'Dragon Selection' Revealed! [1/5]

Euuggghhhh.... wow.
I was happy for this set before.

but now not so much.
I was expecting Dragon Energy or something. In hopes they would ditch this irritating multi-type energy crud they've got going on. I feel this is a wasted change. They were mainly better off colourless.

IM BUYING A BOX!!!!!! ^-^ These would be great for my collection, I love dragon types!

I like that Salamence. Still, it's a shame that they have to use other energy cards and not just a Dragon-energy. Aside from the weakness/resistances...makes it a bit pointless, no?

This set is cooler than I thought, the card design of the Dragon types is fantastic!

By the way:

unbenannt1mi.png

New playable Dragonite anyone?!

drifloon kill said:
Espeon from Dark Rush covers rayquazas first attack.

No, Espeon does not cover Rayquaza's first attack. The effect of Dragon Pulse is not an effect on a Pokémon, but rather an effect on the player (and even if Espeon did block it, Espeon only blocks effects from your opponent's Pokémon).

In terms of playability, I'm not overwhelmed. The multi-Energy attacks are really turning me off, and the attacks aren't too great either.

LOVE these cards. It's a shame Rayquaza only has 120hp as opposed to 130, but the cards are interesting and look gorgeous. But I'm really hoping we get an actual dragon energy in the next set though.

Loving Mence's ability! It would be nice if it was [W][W] or [F][F] rather than one of each for his attack, but still very interesting.

well if there are only 20 cards that are holograph and theres a 75 card box.. maybe I will get lucky and pull a few rayquaza! ^-^ Although the card attacks are sucky I am deeply in love with all these new artworks!!! They are getting so much more awesome each expansion I swear... * drools* =O~

Those Dragon Types look Awsome! (If anyone was wondering I use the word "awsome" alot because Pokemon are awsome. See? I just did it again.:p) I love how glittery the gold looks. Alright, here goes my spectulation list:
1. Dratini 2. Dragonair 3. Dragonite
4. Bagon 5. Shelgon 6. Salamence
7. Latias 8. Latios 9. Rayquaza
10. Gible 11. Gabite 12. Garchomp
13. Axew 14. Fraxure 15. Haxorus
16. Druddigon 17. Deino 18. Zweilous
19. Hydreigon 20. Kyurem (Unless if we get another surprise and it's Dragon Energy...)
I hope that people can work off of this. To me, the only one that doesn't make any sense is Kyurem. (Yay my first spectulation list!!!:D) So far though, these cards don't look so good meta-wise. Only thing that actually looks good is Salamence's Ability. (HA HA Heatmor!!! You've had your glory of destroying the Durant infestation, but Salamence will eat you for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner!!!) But they look amazing for collectors! Yay super duper happy face!!! :D

I still like the cards because I like Dragon Pokemon.:p Salamence seems like it could be really good against decks that enjoy having large hand sizes. I'm almost wondering if it'd be worth it to try and make Salamence fit with Vileplume.

Well if any of these other Dragon type Pokemon get popular at least Rayquaza will be around to grab some donks. I mean really, as long as all of the Dragon type basic Pokemon are weak to Dragon as well (which logic dictates that they would be) then Rayquaza will just OHKO the basic version. And for a single Lightning Energy and an attack that discards cards it seems like Rayquaza fits in rather nicely with Magnezone, Eelektrik, and even Zekrom. All you need is a switch and a single copy of Rayquaza in your deck will basically null and void the remainder of this expansion from being competitively playable as attackers.

Of course that is assuming that Magnezone and Eelektrik are relevant by the time this comes out, that any of these cards end up being anything better than a small tech, and that there isn't a better option.

Meh. I'm not impressed by the background color since it's too dark IMO. I'm also glad I never assumed that Dragon Selection was going to have every Dragon Pokemon ever created in it, like some people did, especially with the bump to 20 cards from the previously-thought 40.

6. Salamence
Isn't Salamence #8?

It seems like we're getting Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite (1-3), Swablu/Altaria (4-5), Bagon/Shelgon/Salamence (6-8), Latias/Latios (9-10), Rayquaza (11), and then some Sinnoh and Unova Dragons. Or the Dragonite family could be the Horsea or Trapinch family, I dunno. Swablu and Altaria pretty much HAVE to be there with a three-stage family though unless they're excising all of the non-Dragon pre-evolutions. The thing is, though, if they had Vibrava and Flygon without Trapinch... well, there are no Trapinch cards in rotation, right?

I think what we see here is indication of what we will see in the future. I know you love the dragon type so much, but I think that since dragons are powerful, it needs to different energy types to have their attacks activate, for balance reasons of course.

So, no, I don't think there would and should be a dragon energy card, especially basic ones. Maybe there can be a special dragon energy that makes an existing move better, but there should never ever be basic dragon energy cards. The game has enough energy types as it is.

I sort of associate Dragon types to the gold framed magic cards that represent multicolor cards, and there is no such thing as gold mana in the game of MTG. This is exactly what is happening here. I think in the TCG, they are trying to make Dragons so that you require 2 different energy types to activate the attack, and as such, is pretty much useless in a single energy type deck, and is very limited in what deck it can be in, and it should be that way.

I like the artwork on Rayquaza and Haxorus, but I'm not 100% behind the base color of the card. It seems a little bit too dark and feels more like a color that would be used for Ground-Types. Rayquaza and Salamence sharing a move is a little strange. If the two were in different sets it would be more acceptable, but since the two came out in the same set it just feels lazy.

Looking forward to the other Dragons.

Back