(2) Dragon-type Symbol Revealed, Raikou EX from 'Dark Rush' [12/9]

If you think about it technically Charizard is a Dragon but he is not classified officially as a Dragon. I don't know why he is not a Fire/Dragon type but he should be.:)

^ because nintendo has got it like that D: (when I first got him I thought he was a dragon too but apparently dragon starters can't be :/.... not to mention his typing in the game if he were dragon would be almost too good to be true :()

And while we're at it, let's make Gyarados a Water/Dragon type!

...no. Just no.

When first introduced Dragon types had no weaknesses save Ice. Making Charizard Fire/Dragon or Gyarados Water/Dragon back then would have made them tremendously overpowered. Besides, their current type combinations make sense enough as it is (well, Gyarados sorta does), and they're balanced, so there's no need to retcon them.

Besides, they're both in the Dragon breeding group anyway as far as I remember, so why bother?

*looks at garados, then at kingdra, then at garados again*

.....not buying it xP lol

but seriously why flying of all types for him couldn't they at least make him well.... um idk pure water or water/dragon like you were saying :/ (sorry about my Video Game side back on topic)

Raikou EX doesn't look too bad I might try it out (the artwork lives up to it's reputation.... as usual :/)

I already told you why Gyarados shouldn't be Water/Dragon. As for pure Water? I'm not sure why they did that instead, but Water/Flying actually does allow for a few interesting things, like no Grass weakness and immunity to Earthquake and such. (It just makes him wide open to Thunderbolt instead.)

Furn said:
I can't find any confirmation of this anywhere -

The Zoura set is taking the place of the (now apparently known that even the species was a placeholder) Umbreon set, right?

I was going to ask if it would be in the same boxes as the new playmat ones as well, but I just noticed the price difference.

I haven't seen this talked about yet, so I figured I'd chime in.

I pre-ordered some of the Umbreon promo packs from amiami along with my booster boxes of Dark Rush. Through their website, I have reason to believe the Zorua pack is in addition to, not instead of, the Umbreon pack. Originally, amiami had a placeholder image for the Umbreon pack, but now that it is officially "in stock" (just like the rest of Dark Rush), they've updated the image, and it still has the Umbreon card. They also don't have any order/pre-orders available yet for any of the new promo packs spoken about in this news update.

If it hasn't been confirmed by then, I'd be happy to do so once my cards arrive. I ordered them shipped via EMS, so I'm expecting them probably sometime next week.

I can see why Gyarados is not a Water/Dragon type. It is because he does not have enough stamina or the moveset to be even close to a Dragon at all. He can't get any of the moves that Charizard can get. There are more moves that Charizard gets to classify him as a Dragon very easily. Gyarados definitely no. Gyarados is too good for even being part Dragon. However Charizard has the product for being a Dragon and a Fire/Dragon Starter would not be any problem since he has most moves a Dragon type can get anyway XD.:)

So are you saying that Whiscash and Scrafty should be Dragon-types as well? They both can get Dragon Dance via an egg move. Oh, and we mustn't forget Tyranitar, either.

No I can see why Gyarados is not part Dragon. Tyranitar is not even considered to be clse to a Dragon because his signature ability is the infinite Sandstorm ability. He is definitely a Rock Type. It even shows too. Whiscash is a water type too but he is a lot like Lanturn in a way except he is not part electric type. The only one here that resembles a Dragon here at all is Charizard. He has moves that most Dragons can learn as their basi moves like Dragon Rage and Dragon Pulse. Since he can get those moves in gen 4 that is when he should have been re done as a Fire Dragon. He is more of a Dragon and a Fire/Flying type. Not to mention he can get Fire and Thunder Punches. Not sure about Ice Punch but if you look at his Pokedex number his basic natural moves an his tutored and TM and HM list you will notice that almost all of his moves are a basic set for a Dragon Type.

While on this note I don't see why he should not make it into this set. From seeing his past cards they have mostly been aimed at Fire type moves. They have never done a card with any other moves like Stone Edge or Rock Slide so you see Charizard should be in this set because his moves are mostly part Dragon. In a lot of ways he is a Dragon. Just not officially plus in-game he can learn Earthquake and he is immune to Earthquake. That is probably why he can't get hit by EQ as he is part Flying.:)

...my point being that your argument is flawed. Just because something looks like a Dragon, or gets Dragon-type moves (and a LOT of them do), does not mean that it should be.

Charizard is, first and foremost, a flying lizard that spits fire. Lizards are very similar to dragons in many respects, but the two are not necessarily equivalent.

And there is definitely a reason that there was only one Dragon-type line in Generation I...not to mention, that there have only been TWO Pokemon that have had their typing changed in the franchise's history, the reason only because the Steel-type did not exist in Generation I. (In case you didn't catch it, I'm referring to Magnemite and Magneton.)

There is absolutely no reason to make Charizard a dragon. The Dragon-type is supposed to be something special. You let everyone and his mother get that type, and you ruin the charm.

The only reasons I think Charizard should be a Dragon type is 1 his moveset is very similar and 2. He looks close enough to a Dragon to be one. Charizard is very special in a lot of ways but honestly he should have been a Dragon XD.:)

xxashxx said:
No I can see why Gyarados is not part Dragon. Tyranitar is not even considered to be clse to a Dragon because his signature ability is the infinite Sandstorm ability. He is definitely a Rock Type. It even shows too. Whiscash is a water type too but he is a lot like Lanturn in a way except he is not part electric type. The only one here that resembles a Dragon here at all is Charizard. He has moves that most Dragons can learn as their basi moves like Dragon Rage and Dragon Pulse. Since he can get those moves in gen 4 that is when he should have been re done as a Fire Dragon. He is more of a Dragon and a Fire/Flying type. Not to mention he can get Fire and Thunder Punches. Not sure about Ice Punch but if you look at his Pokedex number his basic natural moves an his tutored and TM and HM list you will notice that almost all of his moves are a basic set for a Dragon Type.

If Tyranitar and Gyrados were Dragons, their moves would be different to fit the Dragon type. Tyranitar's ability doesn't meen he can't be a Dragon.

Ophie said:
Does that mean Altaria will be in this set? Altaria is adorable.
I second this. =3

xxashxx said:
The only reasons I think Charizard should be a Dragon type is 1 his moveset is very similar and 2. He looks close enough to a Dragon to be one. Charizard is very special in a lot of ways but honestly he should have been a Dragon XD.:)
DNA already pointed it out, even though Charizard has some similarities to dragons, he is a fire-breathing, flying lizard. Besides, by your logic, if Charizard can be a dragon-type because he looks like one, then Sudowoodo should be a leaf-type because he looks like a plant. That's not how it works, xxashxx.

I only said that for Charizard because I think they made a mistake from the beginning. Look at it this way. A Pokemon with a Dragon Type movepool and the type of the Pokemon is Fire and Flying? Does that make sense? No I did not think so. A Pokemon that has most moves from a Dragon Type Pokemon Should be Fire/Dragon not Fire/Flying. The only think that is holding him back from being that is the fact that he can't learn any Water Type moves without hacking. Yes I do have a Charizard with Surf if you were wondering. Anyway that is the only thing holding him back from being Fire/Dragon.

If I seem on edge it is because I had a long 6 hours at church. Next year will only be about 4 hours so things will be a bit easier XD.:)

Let's make a Dragon-type starter Pokemon right off the bat, despite the fact that he only gets 1 Dragon-type move via level-up. That way he will have no weaknesses whatsoever and be a virtual juggernaut, effectively making Venusaur and Blastoise useless.

GENIUS.

If you keep trying to protest that any Pokemon be made Dragon-types any longer, there will be very little stopping me from slapping you around with a large brick.
Just drop it. We don't care.

It's not ingenious, but I certainly don't see how it's even "predictable."

DNA said:
Let's make a Dragon-type starter Pokemon right off the bat, despite the fact that he only gets 1 Dragon-type move via level-up. That way he will have no weaknesses whatsoever and be a virtual juggernaut, effectively making Venusaur and Blastoise useless.

meh. Dragon/Fire always would have been weak against Rock and Ground, and Charizard still wouldn't have much to beat Blastoise one-on-one. Venusaur was always useless thanks to that typing in RBY's broken atmosphere. Charmander would still be the worst choice to get through RBY and as Dragonite proved, being a Dragon in the early days really didn't mean you were good competitively. I mean one of the only reasons Dragonite is BL instead of UU in Generation I is because of its deadly Thunder Wave/Wrap combo... lol.

Dragon/Fire always would have been weak against Rock and Ground,
right; I forgot about that. Someone pointed that out to me later and I didn't feel like going back and editing. (I was thinking about Water/Electric and such...)

Back