(2) New BW English Names, 'Black' and 'White' American Release Date - March 6th! [12/27]

I noticed in Gigalith's page, it refers to it as the "wild" Gigalith, lol.

I kinda like the name Juniper. It sounds very feminine, and I assume the plant is very pretty. I think it fits better. At least I can stop fumbling when I try to pronounce Araragi.

At first, I didn't know how to spell Darmanitan, until I realized you have to pronounce it like orangutan. I think it's ok.

Blitzle sounds German, and it may take a bit of time to get used to it. Sandile is ok. Minccino is pronounced with a -ch sound. You know, like capuccino.

Munna is the same, which I find no problems with.

Gigalith is ok. Giga as in powerful, and lith as in stone.

However... and this is a BIG however, I hate Klink and Pidove. Klink? Really? You can't just use an actual word to describe a Pokemon. What is this, Monster Galaxy? No. And as far as the word goes, I think I liked Gear better. What are they going to call its evolution? Giklink?

And Pidove is just awful. They purposely put a prefix in for no reason, and the word does not flow well. I feel dumb saying it. Pidove. Bleh.

And I think you guys are forgetting that Chillarmy was just the romanized name for Minccino. The actual Japanese name was Chiraami

You can't just use an actual word to describe a Pokemon.

Golem says hi.

And I think you guys are forgetting that Chillarmy was just the romanized name for Minccino. The actual Japanese name was Chiraami
More like the otherway around. Chillarmy is the TRADEMARK romanization, which is indeed the correct romanization. Chiraami is a simple romanization that conflicts with the real one.

Oh, and if anyone wants to see Black and White on their Wii, the trailer is now on the Nintendo Channel. ^_^

Boddy903 said:
You can't just use an actual word to describe a Pokemon

Oh yeah?

083.png

076.png

101.png

151.png

132.png

140.png

(believe me the list would be easily twice as long if I counted Japanese names)

Boddy903 said:
They purposely put a prefix in for no reason, and the word does not flow well. I feel dumb saying it.

The rest of us don't AFAIK. I think that says enough about how big an issue it is ;)

Technically whether or not abra and kadabra are "actual" words is debatable. IMO they're more like derived from "Abracadabra", the real actual word. An actual word would probably be something that you could literally find in a dictionary in a perfect letter-for-letter match.

Technically whether or not abra and kadabra are "actual" words is debatable. IMO they're more like derived from "Abracadabra", the real actual word. An actual word would probably be something that you could literally find in a dictionary in a perfect letter-for-letter match.
So you're saying that Abra and Kadabras names isn't just based on a word? I thought that was the whole thing...

You can't just use an actual word to describe a Pokemon
Just because its 1 word used for 2 Pokemon, IMO its still taken as based on a word... :b

Cartoon network do seem to be moving things that are action packed to friday nights and that new show coming on march 5th could replace pokemons place if it goes to fridays? Hmm

Cartoon network do seem to be moving things that are action packed to friday nights and that new show coming on march 5th could replace pokemons place if it goes to fridays? (Sorry if this post twice)

Wow, maybe it's just me but I have a lot of problems with some of these names. Some are fine, like Munna. Simple to say and easily kept from Japanese. Gigalith is similar in that regard. Juniper can be a tree, so I am absolutely fine with that. Castelia City is interesting enough for me to like it as well. But the rest...ugh. Minccino. Let me sip a cup of cappuccino and then I'll get back to playing my Pokemanz. Sandile. Let me check the time with my sandial while I go out and buy a pair of sandles. Pidove. Pigeon+Dove, just screams uncreativity. Blitzle. On Donner, On Vixen, ON BLITZLE!!!!!! It sounds German. ALL HEIL BLITZLE!! WOLF BLITZLE. So many things wrong, it's sad. Sheer Force (as if there aren't enough innuendos). And Big Pecks. I'll give that one some lol credit, but in the end, it's just a bad pun IMO. Idk, it seemed like this Generation was doing so good with the names. I hope this is the only one that has a bad batch...I'm glad they get a release date confirmed as well. March 6th is early. Like only about two months to go. 0_o

dmaster out.

This is soooooo AWESOME! I thought I was going to wait until April but now I only have to wait until March! EPIC...
I also like the new names.

ps:This is my first post...EVER!

I must be right! Look how close Pidove's name is to Pidgey's (ABC)!!!! In fact, IT IS RIGHT AFTER IT!!!!

RE: (1) 'Black' and 'White' American Release Date - March 6th! [12/27]

{D}{P}{C}THAT WAS SOOOOO COOL!!!!!!!

I'm so psyched about these games now! March 6th is considerably early in the year...not that I'm complaining of course :D

Professor Araragi: Professor Juniper - Fine.
Hiun City: Castelia City - Fine
Chillarmy: Minccino - ... what? Chillarmy was exactly what it was. What is a Minccino?
Gigaith: Gigalith - Fine
Munna: Munna - Fine
Hihidaruma: Darmanitan - Except it's not a Orangutan. It's more like a Gorilla or Baboon. Darmaboon wasn't ok? :/
Meguroc: Sandile - Fine.
Mamepato: Pidove - Ehhh. In retrospect, Hoothoot is imaginative. Pidgey, Taillow, Starly and Pidove. Mmm.
Shimama: Blitzle - Oh, like a horses name. Yeah, I rather Zapra, or anything sounding as if it had anything to do with a Zebra, but fine.
Gear: Klink - Well, Coil became Magnemite, and this one I can name Colonel.
Encourage ability: Sheer Force - Bulbapedia translates it as Brute Force, so may not be all that bad.
Overconfidence ability: Moxie - Fine
Pigeon Heart ability: Big Pecks - Bad pun and Bulbapedia translates it as Pidgeon Breast, so might not be all that bad.
Sweep Slap attack: Tail Slap - Fine
Wild Bolt attack: Wild Charge - Fine
Telekinesis attack: Telekinesis - Fine

And again, the german names are better. :/

I dont like wild bolt as wild charge. bolt and charge are synonyms, but bolt also means electricity so it was much better. Darmanitan, is just a suckish name. Klink is an adorable name. tail slap is a bit too obvious, maybe NoA made it that so it is the physical counterpart of tail whip. sweep slap was better.

So excited they are being released on March 6th 2011! The games won't even be 6 months old in Japan yet!

Which is the first time since Ruby and Sapphire that Pokemon Main series games have been released in North America in less than 6 months after the Japanese release.

Epic. Gigalith is the best name I could have asked for for Gigaiath. And they barely changed it. More epicness!

~SS

Back