Anime Discussion Thread

RE: Best Anime Series?

I don't watch too much anime, but one of my favorites was a little cult series called Nermia Daikon Brothers. My gawd that was hilarious. Definitely not for kids though. It's also a musical which is awesome and is a rare example of an English dub miles better than the Japanese one. Too bad it was so short. (Only 12 episodes:( )

Gliscor said:
Don't know if this is sarcasm or not, but either way Spongebob is not an anime no matter how you put it. Overall, my vote goes to Naruto. The amount of viewers that Naruto gets just proves it :/

Yes... it was sarcasm.
Used to watch Naruto but it's horrid now. c:

and Sponge Bob IS A ANIME.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Q8Vhk5Qjc

DiamondMaster said:
Yes... it was sarcasm.
Used to watch Naruto but it's horrid now. c:

lol that was hilarious. Anyway, I know we aren't supposed to say Yu-Gi-Oh, but season zero was plain awesome. You forgot you were watching Yu-Gi-Oh after a while with no card games.

DiamondMaster said:

No, NO ITS NOT.

Anime is somthing that comes from Japan.
Cartoons are somthing that comes from America.

There is a HUGE difference between Cartoon and Anime.

Im suppose to be doing school work so I cant look up the facts to show you right now, but Spongbob is NOT an anime.

Blackmage96 said:
Anyway, I know we aren't supposed to say Yu-Gi-Oh, but season zero was plain awesome. You forgot you were watching Yu-Gi-Oh after a while with no card games.
To me Season 0 was always "So Bad It's Good".

The animation is awesomely bad.

Honestly, if you want some good, old-fashioned pointy hair minus card games just read the first part of the manga.

Honestly, I think the animation in Season 0 is part of it's charm. And who can forget the episode where Yugi and Joey thought Tea Tristian and Miho became prostitutes lol. (Or Jonochi Anzu, Honda if you wish) The ending theme so kicks butt, listen NOW! All I can say though, season zero definently had it's charm.

shadoworganoid said:
No, NO ITS NOT.

Im suppose to be doing school work so I cant look up the facts to show you right now, but Spongbob is NOT an anime.

Calm down. It was just a joke.
Plus good ol' American cartoons are more fun to watch.
Anime is overrated really. It's been going downhill. :/

DiamondMaster said:
Calm down. It was just a joke.
Plus good ol' American cartoons are more fun to watch.
Anime is overrated really. It's been going downhill. :/

No, Im not mad.
But I cant stand it when people compare the two like they are the same cause they are reallly different.

As for it going downhill, thats a matter of opinion.

Zenith said:
Just because something is popular does not mean it is good.

Case in point: Twilight.

Yeah.
No one ever watches any of the good stuff seriously.

Even though Bleach is my favorite anime, it's ok, its not the best because it gets boring after a while. Like I gave up on naruto who knows how long ago. XD I'd have to say some of the best are:

Trigun
.Hack Sign
I adored Prince of Tennis. XD
Zoids: Was a decent anime you have to admit that.
Vocloid
Hamtaro anybody?

shadoworganoid said:
No, Im not mad.
But I cant stand it when people compare the two like they are the same cause they are reallly different.

As for it going downhill, thats a matter of opinion.
That is mostly true. However the actual japanese definition of the word, Anime refers to all[u/] types of animation. So Japanese meaning and the English meaning are relatively different. My point is technically speaking as long as it is animated it is considered Anime in Japan. :/ Even though the context we use it in is a very popular its still incorrect. I know everyone here is speaking English so the English usage applies but i figured a rant about the word would sound unnecessarily educated. :p. Anyway a decent answer to the title of this thread has to be based off of more than personal opinion. Obviously there is a lot of Anime (lol) out there and I seriously doubt one person has seen them all. So before deciding what the best Anime all around is you have to take other people's opinions into account (not that i give damn about millions of kids claming the pokemon tv show is the best thing ever). From what i know the best Anime that is generally enjoyable for 50-60% of people is the Ghost In The Shell series. With the main character being female and the Anime it self being a Seinen it is enjoyable for guys and girls. I actually have not even seen any of it, however from what i have read it is supposedly beyond amazing. The only real problem is that it loses viewers because of gore and nudity (who ever said the main character was fully clothed?). The nudity being the main reason why i have not seen it. Anyway with Seinen's being designed for males ages 18-30 it is easy to understand it can have such a wide range. Btw Hellsing is considered a Seinen. Bleach a Shounen. So on so forth. At the moment my fave is probably Bleach btw.

In regards to One Piece, I was reffering to both the FUNimation Dub and the Japanese Fansub which IMO is better than FUNimation's version. The Manga for it is pretty good too...

Naruto manga is okay, Bleach I still prefer over Naruto though. I remember when Naruto used to be a great series but now it just sucks no thanks to Saucegay and his Sharingan power-hax.

shadoworganoid said:
No, NO ITS NOT.

Anime is animation that originates from Japan. People in japan have made similar characters to spongbob but it's still considered an anime.

Anime: abbreviated pronunciation in Japanese of "animation"

So literally I could animate you and your frustration and call it an anime

Anime featuring characters with large eyes, and elongated limbs, exaggerated facial expressions, brush-stroked outlines, limited motion and other distinctive features

spongebob.jpg

Cartoon: a humorous or satirical drawing published in a newspaper or magazine

and techinically if spongebob was just a cartoon, it would only be published as a comic strip. We have now reached a verdict, Spongbebob is indeed an Anime while using the roots from American cartoonists to also be considered a cartoon. [/case closed]

Avatar is like Spongebib - and Anime but it comes from America (one of the better ones that come from there)

Uhm.. getting back on topic. My vote would be for Rurouni Kenshin, just because I'm a Swordsman/Samurai Fan. I also enjoy a strong-male lead, who is usually ridiculously strong which Rurouni Kenshin had.

Wow, it seems like in terms of Anime Naruto and Pokemon are tied to the 1st Seasons a.k.a. Originals versions being better than their latest episodes or "counterparts".

Let me just point out that Pokemon (Hoenn and Sinnoh Sagas) isn't as bad as Naruto Part 2 but it's okay. Unlike Naruto I do think the Pokemon Anime can redeem itself If the developers and producers of the series can get their acts together about it.

Back