Book Discussion & Review

The dungeon & dragon series are good. Conan books are not bad. If you like horror, read HP Lovecraft. He is the king of horror. I hated Elric, didn't care for the there has to be evil to for good to exist concept. I didn't like Stephen Donaldson writing. I don't remember why(good the hypnosis worked)

You could also try James Clemens. He just started a new series. They are real interesting books. David Eddings is nice as well. You might give 'the Malloreon' or 'the Belgarion' a shot

The Hunger Games trilogy is absolutely AMAZING!!! It has an awsome storyline, great characters, and alot of action, though I was just a little dissapointed with the eneding in Mockingjay. Also fans of Percy Jackson would like the Companions Quartet, it's about people who can communicate with Greek Mythology creatures. next, I would recommend the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series, especially if you like fantasy and wolves (Which is me). Lastly, I would recommend the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. It has alot of fantasy elements to it, and if you liked the Red Pyramid, I felt that Rick Riordan stole alot from Nicholas Flamel (one of the reasons that I like the Red Pyramid) so you would probably like this too. Also, the Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm are great classics.

I finished The Hunger Games Trilogy a few weeks ago. The first two were great, but Mockingjay was a bit of a letdown. The Inheritance Cycle is also good (can't wait for the last one to come out >.<). I also liked the Bartimaeus Trilogy. His Dark Materials was also an amazing read. I'm going to read the Monsters of Men series soon, which is apparently very good.

I really liked The inheritance cycle and harry potter books which are some of my favorites.
I`ve recently started reading Sherlock Holmes books which have been excellent but my reading has been going really really slow probably because of time, the books i used to read in 2 weeks are now extending for even a month.
When i finish reading Sherlock Holmes i will start reading The Lord of The Rings but before that i will read a Beatles book.

I'm currently reading Commentarii de Bello Gallico. The storyline itself isn't that much but it's beautifully and complex written. If you can read Latin I would recommend it.

For my Honors Lit class, we're about to start reading the novel A Seperate Peace (yes, peace, not piece) by John Knowles. Has anyone else happened to read this? If so, what are you opinions?

@omahanime. Yes I do. It isn't that hard. But the texts with the more difficult grammatic structures is what it makes a little bit harder, but also a lot of fun. Some poetic texts are really good for example. And it just helps in general.

I've read 1984 by George Owell..overall my favorite book ever..and I read that as an 8th grader even. I'm looking forward to reading Keith Olbermann's new book "Pitchforks and Torches" as I watch his television show daily..

Off-topic: @mlouden03: You watch Olbermann as well? My father and I can't miss a show, LOL. I'm so glad he's been unsuspended.

On-topic: During my spare time, I'm currently reading Grass***** Finish First by Tucker Max. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to any of the younger members here, but it is easily the funniest book I have read in a while.

Off-topic: @SinnohTrainer17: yeah, lol. I'm glad too..the temp host was so bad XD his intro tuesday was so funny "hey..well..how was Your weekend?" lol. I hope he brings back the worst persons segment

On topic: I'm also looking forward to reading John Stewart's new book as well

Any fantasy books with Greek Mythology out there, besides Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus and the Companions Quartet?

I do a lot of reading. Recently, I finished an excellent book called "The Giver". It's a utopia-based novel by Lois Lowry, it was quite excellent if not a little slow at the beginning. It's a very short read, so if you're looking for a one-day read or if you want to space it out within a couple of days, it is well worth giving a shot.

When it comes to utopias, however, it is absolutely no comparison to the slightly more mature "Brave New World" by Aldus Huxley. In fact, "The Giver" pales in comparison to that novel.

At the moment I'm reading "Searching for Bobby Fischer", which is a real story written by the father of child-chess prodigy Joshua Waitzkin, and he talks about his and his son's experiences as well as taking the time to delve into chess politics. Haven't gotten it finished yet, but it is very intriguing, even for players who aren't strong in chess.

When I get finished with that I'll probably move on to the "Wheel of Time" series, which is recommended to me by a close friend.

@ PokeChamp the giver is geared towards middle schoolers..huxley is more Senior in high school/college level. I prefer 1984 to BNW

The Giver was a pretty epic book but the sequals are no where near as good as The Giver.
I just finished the Mockingjay...the ending pissed me off.

^Yeah, Mockingjay's ending was kind of dissapointing. Also, I just started the Maze Runner, and it's great! :)

I'd recommend "The Meq" series by Steve Cash. It's pretty unknown, but I loved the first two book and can't wait for the third one. If you're a history buff from 1870-1945 or like immortals then you will like this series, too.

Yeah, I read The Giver during my sixth grade year of school, and I loved it. The sequels, however, not so much .__.

Back