Cardfight!! Vaguard Group Discussion

I'll most likely be going to the Last Minute Qualifier for Team League Continentals, hoping my team can grind in. We're mainly going because a team of our friends is already qualified and it's only like a 5 hour drive.

Good luck with that, as for me I'm starting to get burned out on GP Garmore/Ezel waiting patiently for GP Liberators to arrive in BT10 and BT11 in English however the prospect of running Platina Ezel is almost too tempting not to run especially how it combos nicely with Solitary Liberator, Gancelot but the odds of pulling that off late game at 5 damage is very slim considering that you run a high risk of getting a double crit at 4-5 damage and you still wouldn't be able to activate Platina Ezel's LB in time to win the game even If you ride it on top of Gancelot for the Break Ride combo. It almost has the same risk over reward factor that Pellinore does in GP.

One of my friends who plays Vanguard at my LGS is getting burned out on GP Spectral Duke and wants to switch over to Aqua Force and he also runs Neo Nectar Musketeers, while one of my other friends has been dominating with RP Galahad like a boss which is a really good budget variant of OTT Tsukiyomi although I did manage to beat it in Best of 2 with GP Garmore/Ezel one time. I heard that Granblue is supposed to be getting support in BT12 or BT13 since I saw a silhouette of Gouki in the Anime series becoming one of the Link Joker Cardfighters aside from Souki, Asaka, and Tetsu. Of course anything involving Gouki of Team Handsome usually resorts to pointless comic relief involving Nagisa and Kamui that I hate about the Anime series.

I just recently got into this game. I like it a lot more then Yu-Gi-Oh. Its so much fun ^^

Actually it doesn't look like I'll be going for the qualifier after all. Still, I hope my friends do really well in the actual tourney.

It's nice that more people are getting into Cardfight!! Vanguard, the main TCG's being played in my area are MTG, Vanguard, Vs. System, Kaijudo, and some Pokemon here and there. I'm waiting to get some more cards on eBay to pimp out most of my decks in various TCG's.

The main TCG's played in my area is Just Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh! We don't have many Cardfight!! Vanguard players. At the most, we have maybe six, counting myself.

I am seven cards away from finishing my Bermuda Triangle deck though. That is the closest deck I have to completion. Well until the new set comes out. Then I am gonna get that :3

One of my friends at my LGS says he wants to play Vanguard to run Bermuda Triangle however he's been spending most of his money on MTG, Pokemon, and Kaijudo thus making it hard for him to invest in a 4th TCG at the moment. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be as interested in Vanguard as he is in the other TCG's he currently plays although he seemed tempted cause he wants to play every TCG he can. I know I missed the boat on the Star Wars CCG by Decipher and Spellfire which came out around the same time MTG did back in '93 when I was stuck playing on my Super NES and Sega Genesis grinding on Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and other great video games at the time back when we had video game rental stores before the age of the Internet, oh good times.

My locals has roughly the same number as yours in Vanguard so it's slowly growing, it'd probably grow alot faster If the Vanguard Anime got dubbed on TV but most people don't want that to happen cause it would get censored like what 4Kids did to their own Anime series years ago plus they prefer the Japanese Sub over the English Dub for the Vanguard Anime, who can really blame them? The Opening Theme Voices for the Dub is worse than the Dub for Dragonball Kai on Nickelodeon. It's going to be really difficult trying to "dethrone" Yu-Gi-Oh! from it's TCG pedestal If you will so I guess only time will tell If Cardfight!! Vanguard will take over or flop just like every other failed TCG cause I've seen plenty of TCG/CCG's come and go and it'd be sad to see Vanguard go like Battle Spirits or even Duel Masters in the U.S. which only lasted around 2 years before it got rebooted as Kaijudo last year.

Vanguard has been growing huge here in Northern California, to the point that my local store's pokemon league night was changed to "Japanese TCG night" since so many pokemon players, myself included, have been playing Vanguard all the time. Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic are also huge, and Weiss Schwarzz has been suprisingly popular in a certain store in the area. Not really sure about Kaijudo, but I see some people play every now and then.

What If the people who are playing Vanguard now are just playing for the sake of getting away from terrible formats in Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! only to get back into them when the format/metagame improves drastically to quit/sell all their Vanguard cards for Yu-Gi-Oh! and/or Pokemon? What If Vanguard is just a fad to them and nothing else? I guess that's something to think about regarding the current state of Vanguard in North America though I can't say how it's doing in Asia and other continents though. Whether or not If it's an otaku or non-otaku ordeal I'm not sure however Yu-Gi-Oh! managed to open the world of Japanese Anime/Manga to people who weren't into it before a decade ago so who knows, maybe Vanguard will have the same effect If Cable TV helps advertise it more in North America or put the English Dub on Cartoon Network which is very unlikely due to censoring by dub companies so they don't get in trouble with the FCC. 4Kids encountered this problem with ALOT of their Dubs in the past and that lead them into more trouble.

But from how I'm looking at it, Yu-Gi-Oh! doesn't seem like it would ever be able to redeem itself from a terrible format and worse power creep of what's going on in Advanced as compared to the Pokemon TCG it has the best chance to redeem itself from the current state of Modified for the kind of balance in the TCG akin to DPP and HGSS, it's power creep is bad but not nearly as bad as Yu-Gi-Oh!'s. Kaijudo doesn't have as many expansions as Vanguard does at the moment but it's catching up slowly, it is becoming a bit more expensive now with how many pricey rares are played in alot of competitive decks. It's got better Organized Play than Vanguard does unless Bushiroad changes their structure to Best of 2 Double Elimination or Swiss which doesn't seem very likely but it would help reduce the luck factor Vanguard has aside from losing games by getting grade locked, missing your ride chain, or getting a double crit at 3 damage before you have a chance to come back the 2nd game in the same round unless both you and your opponent are tied for game 3 in Round X.

So turns out that now I likely am going to the Last Chance Qualifiers in Long Beach, but I probably don't have any teammates yet... Anyone here going and in need of a teammate? xD

Card Slinger J said:
What If the people who are playing Vanguard now are just playing for the sake of getting away from terrible formats in Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! only to get back into them when the format/metagame improves drastically to quit/sell all their Vanguard cards for Yu-Gi-Oh! and/or Pokemon?

I started playing Vanguard because of the art at first. Then after I learned the game I loved it even more ever since.

I already was going to quit Yu-Gi-Oh! because every deck I seemed to play against was a top tier deck. I just wanted to have fun. But with decks winning in about two turns it wasn't really fun as much as it used to be.

The same goes pretty much with Pokemon. So I am not collecting anything from Pokemon, or Yu-Gi-Oh! anymore. But I do have a deck for both.

My Team placed 10th out of 19 during the recently concluded Asia-Oceania Team League Continentals. It was a pretty decent record considering our Vermillion player went 0-5 lol

Yakkov said:
I already was going to quit Yu-Gi-Oh! because every deck I seemed to play against was a top tier deck. I just wanted to have fun. But with decks winning in about two turns it wasn't really fun as much as it used to be.

So you used to be okay with OTK's in Yu-Gi-Oh!? I couldn't stand them, I got out of Yu-Gi-Oh! back in 2004 when Ancient Sanctuary was the latest expansion and it was shortly around the time when Konami/UDE introduced the Forbidden/Limited List that CED and Yata Lock created so to speak. From Legend of Blue-Eyes White Dragon up until Invasion of Chaos or Dark Crisis was the best time to play Yu-Gi-Oh! in North America. Back then you had no Forbidden/Limited List and it seemed like everyone was on equal terms.

By now Yu-Gi-Oh! is too expensive for me to invest in even If I were to build a Casual deck for the game itself for fun with too many rulings and erratas, the power creep has gotten worse over the years, and alot of the decks being played in Advanced these days don't really interest me all that much. That and the Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime series is pretty much dead already, Zexal? The Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime hasn't been great since the very 1st series which is the best the franchise had to offer although 5D's deserves an honorable mention though.

Card Slinger J said:
So you used to be okay with OTK's in Yu-Gi-Oh!? I couldn't stand them, I got out of Yu-Gi-Oh! back in 2004 when Ancient Sanctuary was the latest expansion and it was shortly around the time when Konami/UDE introduced the Forbidden/Limited List that CED and Yata Lock created so to speak. From Legend of Blue-Eyes White Dragon up until Invasion of Chaos or Dark Crisis was the best time to play Yu-Gi-Oh! in North America. Back then you had no Forbidden/Limited List and it seemed like everyone was on equal terms.

By now Yu-Gi-Oh! is too expensive for me to invest in even If I were to build a Casual deck for the game itself for fun with too many rulings and erratas, the power creep has gotten worse over the years, and alot of the decks being played in Advanced these days don't really interest me all that much. That and the Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime series is pretty much dead already, Zexal? The Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime hasn't been great since the very 1st series which is the best the franchise had to offer although 5D's deserves an honorable mention though.

At first I was okay with the One turn kill decks, but it eventually got boring to play against. I myself had one of those decks. It was a Machina deck. But now I just play for fun with my hero deck. That is when I play. I like Cardfight!! Vanguard much more.

As for this:

Card Slinger J said:
although 5D's deserves an honorable mention though.

I agree with you completely. I loved that series. Zexal on the other hand... just no. I watched an episode, and was like... this isn't that good at all.

Yakkov said:
At first I was okay with the One turn kill decks, but it eventually got boring to play against. I myself had one of those decks. It was a Machina deck. But now I just play for fun with my hero deck. That is when I play. I like Cardfight!! Vanguard much more.

Nearly 20 years ago in MTG, OTK used to exist in that TCG where you could basically kill your opponent on Turn 1 with Black Lotus, Channel, and Fireball for 20 damage. The OTK decks I remember in Yu-Gi-Oh! were Yata Lock and Butterfly Dagger - Elma combo which were just as bad as the Channel/Fireball combo in MTG, Exodia is more of a win condition deck than it is OTK and there's a slew of win condition decks in MTG as well.

I just found out that the English release of the BT10 and BT11 booster sets are getting swapped, dang it Bushiroad why do you have to be such a killjoy? I was looking forward to GP Liberators and now I have to put up with Clans I don't have money to build on. Anyway here's the article from Anime News Network explaining it:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2013-07-10/bushiroad-unveils-world-championship-2013-new-cardfight-vanguard-product-and-future-card-buddyfight-plans

And here's the announcement about the Vanguard booster set swap from Bushiroad on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/official-cardfight-vanguard-usa/press-release-bushiroad-unveils-world-championship-2013-new-cardfight-vanguard-p/474260939330270

I might be going on hiatus from playing Vanguard until December then unless I'm dragged along by my playgroup to be stuck playing GP Garmore/Ezel for the next 6 months or borrow decks from my friends in Vanguard I suppose. Either way I don't really like where this is going and it's bad enough already with the Pokemon TCG in limbo and the X&Y games too.

GarmoreEzel is fun. That has been one of my signature Gold Paladin decks which my playgroup nicknamed "Beyond Logic" because the deck has so much 1-offs and the deck still can pull off positive records and tourney wins.

Also, borrowing decks is the most fun aspect in Vanguard. We even have tournaments that encourage "borrowing" of decks by giving you a different deck every round.

Is Garmore/Ezel more fun than Liberators? I've been having a bit of bad luck lately with Garmore/Ezel probably because I'm not running Platina Ezel with Crimson Lion Cub, Kryph as my Starting Vanguard for the Superior Ride. Instead I've been running Spring Breeze Messenger which is also better than Wingal Liberator since all it does is Superior Call Blaster Blade Liberator to Rear Guard If it's in your Soul.

Really depends. Garmore decks have that Toolbox feel when you ride Garmore because he is the only one in GP that searches rather than sacks the top deck for something.

Quick question, let's say I post a deck list here, would I be able to get deck help by chance? I don't know anywhere else that talks about Cardfight!! Vanguard other then here, and maybe Neoseeker. But its more organized here forum wise.

I think so, Riskbreakers helped me a bit awhile back on my Gold Paladin deck so fire away. The Pojo forums is a huge hotspot for Cardfight!! Vanguard (Yu-Gi-Oh! of course still has the most posts and threads on there by 20 million) although I got in trouble on the Pojo forums about my concerns with Vanguard late last year so I think they still hold a grudge against me because of it. I just mainly go there to lurk instead of posting on their Vanguard forums nowadays to stay out of trouble however I do post on MTG and Pokemon there.

There also used to be another forum for Vanguard called Vanguard Rider unfortunately the owner of the site's forums shut it down. Why? I don't know. Several months ago I started a Vanguard thread over on the HeyTrainer forums but most of the people on there are more into Kaijudo so it was a no go from there. There was also mention of Vanguard on the TCGPlayer forums but those forums have been semi-dead since 2005 I think. It was huge when Marvel/DC Vs. System was still around though.

Back