Cardfight!! Vaguard Group Discussion

Toss a decklist here, let's see what I can do. I play a lot of different clans so I got a basic grasp of most clans.

Well for anyone interested, iCv2 has recently released a list of the Top Collectible Games of 2013. Cardfight!! Vanguard managed to beat Kaijudo in the field of Hobby Channel Games while it's still falling behind in Mass Channel Games due to a lack of an English Dub TV broadcast on Cartoon Network and that alot of retail stores think that Cardfight!! Vanguard won't sell. One thing that's no surprise is that Pokemon is falling behind MTG and Yu-Gi-Oh! due to the stagnation of the BW-On format going into NXD-On next season.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/26212.html

It's more of Americans enjoying to play auto-pilot games like YGO which is still probably easier than Pokemon or Vanguard. Vanguard's on its first year and it probably has overtaken YGO here in the Philippines.

That's because Vanguard mostly caters to Eastern demographics than Western demographics like MTG and Kaijudo does. Yu-Gi-Oh! only managed to succeed in crossing over those demographics a decade ago due to the success of the English Dub by 4Kids, the mass distribution of promo cards, Yu-Gi-Oh! Manga content in Shonen Jump Magazine, and the video games made by Konami at the time. In other words Bushiroad hasn't made any sort of serious effort to popularize the Vanguard franchise in North America as much as Konami/UDE did with Yu-Gi-Oh! 10 years ago. Sure Vanguard is in it's first year worldwide, so was Duel Masters in 2004-2005 and looked where that ended up at.

So what's stopping Cardfight!! Vanguard from overtaking North America? A severe lack of public advertising and marketing offline, lack of retailers wanting to sell the product to get their customers to buy them, and above all a major lack of merchandise to popularize the franchise. Infact there was supposed to be a Cardfight!! Vanguard video game released for the Nintendo 3DS however it got region locked in the U.S. just like every other Japanese made title that isn't a FPS remake like Call of Duty or Halo. As for the whole "Americans love playing auto-pilot games" it's not so much in that as it is to them netdecking lists online in order to win, not everyone does it but there are benefits to netdecking such as learning the card type ratios to making your deck consistent.

Because of the marketing success of Yu-Gi-Oh! in the last decade it has a much bigger cult following in North America than Cardfight!! Vanguard does right now where alot of those
Yu-Gi-Oh! elitists will go "Vanguard's a terrible rip-off of Yu-Gi-Oh! that will only last for a year or a few months tops". I've even heard Blaster Blade being a rip-off of Buster Blader and Celtic Guardian in Yu-Gi-Oh!, wow that's pretty low. So are you going to say Dragonic Overlord is also a rip-off of Blue-Eyes White Dragon? At least when I built a Dragon deck in Vanguard (being Kagero before DOTE) it was alot easier to play and compete with compared to Yu-Gi-Oh! where a Blue-Eyes Seto Kaiba deck was WAY too slow compared to Dark Magician Spellcasters that received the most support. It wouldn't even survive what's being played in Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Advanced Format right now.

Yugi only maintains its advantage in North America because people are afraid to let go of their dollar investments on E-Drag and Prophecy which can just basically give them wins by just paying for decks. Doesn't really apply in Vanguard though, where a truly skilled player can overturn even The End. It's also where my CoCo deck can destroy almost anyone and anything maybe except Aqua Force where I kinda have an unfavorable matchup due to being a 10k Vanguard

I take it that $300-500+ investments in Tier 1 Yu-Gi-Oh! decks in Advanced Format is more important than running a Vanguard deck which cuts the price tag by a $100-200 margin or more being $200 or less for a Tier 1 deck like DOTE or MLB? That's probably not the case anymore since Revengers and Link Joker have been topping in Tokyo recently. Back when I was still playing Yu-Gi-Oh! Chaos Emperor Dragon (CED) and Yata Lock were BDIF, glad I got out before Synchro's and XYZ's were introduced.

I feel like in terms of the English Meta for Vanguard, there really isn't a meta AT ALL for it nor is there a BDIF. I get the idea that some people perceive Vanguard as being too casual to play competitively and by the nature of how every deck is almost equal with eachother. That could be the biggest excuse as to why Vanguard might actually be the worst TCG to play competitively but not like Yu-Gi-Oh! where money and power creep dictates who wins and has a rude elitist player environment compared to how friendly and inviting Pokemon's environment is.

It's not that equal. The End will beat most decks more often than not, that is when your guarding skills and rear-guard hate comes into play. Many times have I outsmarted players here by just draining their hand from bullshitting on their rear guards. Vanguard takes more skill than Pokemon or YuGiOh. It's just that the luck is so centered on triggers that people tend to rely/blame triggers on their games. You should have seen one of our top Pokemon players try Vanguard and had a miserable showing in Team League Continentals. While me as a Vanguard player, transfer back to Pokemon, can beat 80% of the players with a BORROWED deck. SHows how the game is so brainless now.

Vanguard rewards you for playing good and will punish you for doing guarding errors.

Riskbreakers said:
Vanguard takes more skill than Pokemon or YuGiOh. It's just that the luck is so centered on triggers that people tend to rely/blame triggers on their games.

This. Just... this. Vanguard is not more luck-based than any other game, the luck is just a lot more apparent. I'd rather my opponent hit a lot of triggers in Vanguard than, say, have constant dead draws in pokemon. In Vanguard, I find that you can come back from almost anything. Even a misride, except maybe being stuck on grade 0 with a ton of grade 3s in hand (I've been there.) Still, that kind of thing to me is a lot more manageable than a donk. The only thing that comes close to a donk or an OTK in this game would be a double crit at 3 damage, but that's very unlikely and entirely avoidable.

Oh, I almost forgot, but I actually agree with CSJ here, the meta isn't very one-sided at all from what I can tell. The End didn't seem to be that big of a deal at the Team League Continentals in Long Beach. I don't think the popular clans are popular because they do well, they just do well because they're popular, and that makes them a whole lot more likely to win. In Vanguard, playing skill will usually be more influential than the deck itself.

Didn't know If I could get some feedback to tweak this deck once BT10 is released in English with the Trial Decks containing Solitary Liberator, Gancelot. I thought about running a traditional Aichi Sendou GP build with Blaster Blade but I wanted to go with something that seems to add pressure so I plan on building GP Gancelot/Ezel with 95% of the deck halfway finished being my current deck in Vanguard right now:

Grade 0 (17)

4 Silent Punisher (Critical Trigger)
2 Dantegal (Critical Trigger)
4 Speeder Hound (Draw Trigger)
2 Weapons Dealer, Gwydion (Draw Trigger)
4 Elxir Sommelier (Heal Trigger)
1 Little Fighter, Cron (Starting Vanguard)

Grade 1 (15)

4 Halo Shield, Mark (Perfect Guard)
4 Knight of Elegant Skills, Gareth
4 Disciple of Pain
3 Silver Fang Witch

Grade 2 (10)

4 Knight of Superior Skills, Beaumains
4 Knight of Passion, Bagdemagus
2 Player of the Holy Bow, Viviane

Grade 3 (8)

4 Solitary Liberator, Gancelot
2 Incandescent Lion, Blond Ezel
2 Blazing Lion, Platina Ezel

Deck Total (50)

I'd play the G3 searcher over Corron IMO, your deck doesn't use too much CB on the G1 and G2 anyway, though Dindranes won't usually work in your build considering Dindrane works best with Garmore. Try SIlver Fang Witch instead. G2 and G3 are pretty standard anyway.

The G3 searcher for Gold Paladin you're referring to is Little Fighter, Cron. As for the Silver Fang Witches I think one of my friends who plays Vanguard has them in his trade binder so hopefully he'll show up next Friday, plus he's been gone for a few weeks cause he's trying to save up money for a PS4.

I haven't got my hands on 2 Platina Ezel's yet so I'm gonna try to buy a box of BT09 next Friday to pull some If my order's available by then. When me and my friends bought out all the booster packs for BT09 all we got for Triple Rares were Chrome Jailer, The Blood, Glory Maelstrom, the OTT Crossride, and Crimson Impact, Metatron. No Platina Ezel's pulled even at my LGS's Sneak Peek for BT09.

Someone should totally teach me to play this game, the thing is not making any sense. Also would anyone be willing to kinda help me learn the metagame and help with decks?

Meta here is better than Pokemon, you don't need uberly expensive decks to win (it just helps at times). But normally, it's just mastery of your deck. You can always PM me or post here on what specific stuff do you need help on. But if you want the basic rules, read the rulebook and watch around the first five episodes of the anime.

Daigo Set confirmed for English release in November! It'll be called Rise to Royalty and come with a deckbox that seems to have Ambrosius on it, a large Sanctuary Guard Dragon cardboard deck holder, and a set of Dignified Silver Dragon sleeves. I expect it to cost around 35-40 dollars. I'm very excited to get SGD and other cards I've been anticipating for Royal Paladin, but it's gonna be irritating getting multiples of certain cards, unless I just want to buy 4 of those whole sets...

Meaty said:
Daigo Set confirmed for English release in November! It'll be called Rise to Royalty and come with a deckbox that seems to have Ambrosius on it, a large Sanctuary Guard Dragon cardboard deck holder, and a set of Dignified Silver Dragon sleeves. I expect it to cost around 35-40 dollars. I'm very excited to get SGD and other cards I've been anticipating for Royal Paladin, but it's gonna be irritating getting multiples of certain cards, unless I just want to buy 4 of those whole sets...

Just because of the other Accessories coming with the Deck, I'll see if I can get one. SGD would be fun to play.

Fraxureking said:
Just because of the other Accessories coming with the Deck, I'll see if I can get one. SGD would be fun to play.

I have been planning on maining a deck built around him for a while lol. I already use a Pendragon/SoulSaver build and I can't say no to more Daigo-ness lol. I've built and played SGD online and it's very good and fun for me.

I'm on the fence on joining a team tournament tomorrow just to test run SDD out considering our team just wants to troll for the lulz with our Love Live themed card sleeves. I do hope Spectral Duke does something of relevance tomorrow (like actually getting the ride chain)

Playtesting SDD has been a pain as well. 10 Crits just seems so bad right now. I'm going to test 6/7/8 crits and see what happens.

Incase you were wondering about my deck the new Trial Decks for Gold Paladin and Narukami haven't been released yet in English so I'm waiting for those to arrive in October to get myself a playset of Gancelots since it comes in the new Gold Paladin Trial Deck, right now I'm stuck with Garmore. Aside from that I'm not looking for anything else in Vanguard right now.

As for my deck, I played it in a Tag Team Tournament partnered with a friend of mine who was running No Life King, Death Anchor in Dark Irregulars which has amazing synergy with my GP Ezel deck. I was able to use the face-up cards from his Damage Zone to help either Superior Call with Ezel and/or get off Platina Ezel's Ultimate Break to pump up my field and totally dominated my opponents who were running Aqua Force and Narukami. Unfortunately the player who was running Aqua Force got Grade Locked where he couldn't ride into his Grade 2 in time.

In a match before hand, my partner was running his old Royal Paladin Galahad deck before he tore it apart for Dark Irregulars and by late game after I managed to do some significant damage he lucksacked into 2-3 Heal Triggers which me and him needed to win the game it was quite a nailbiter. In our final Tag Team Match we went up against another Aqua Force deck as well as against Angel Feather and we managed to win again by the skin of our teeth.

Yep, 7 crit 5 draw works way better than 10 crit 2 draw for Spectral Duke. Can't wait for the Trial Deck to make a restanding 20/21k attacker

I skipped most of the 47 pages of this thread, so sorry if it has already been said...but I saw someone saying boxes are $75??? Amazon has boxes for $55-$60 with free shipping. They have tons of singles as well.

I play, but here in Nebraska, there is not much going on for CFV. (My FLGS said it was popular for a while and then stopped.....I dont know how that could be?)

Back