Deck Discussion #7: Speedrill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Thunder

so long!
Well, the votes are in. The totals were 1 AMU and 1 Speedrill. Since it was a tie, I chose one of the top two, and I chose Speedrill. The next Deck Discussion will be posted on Thursday, July 16.

You can also send me a PM to tell me which deck you would like to discuss next. The deck that gets the most requests will be the one I choose for the next one.

Today's thread will be about Beedrill (Great Encounters) and Beedrill (Rising Rivals). This deck focuses on the GE Beedrill's Band Attack, which can do up to 120 damage if you have all 4 Beedrills in play. Beedrill RR allows you to search you deck for any Grass Pokemon during your turn, which is the type of the Beedrill line. In other words, this speeds up the process of getting all 4 Beedrills out. Also, Weedle (Great Encounters) and Kakuna (Rising Rivals) have ways to dig out out parts of the Beedrill line. Combine this with the usual search and draw cards, a player can get out all 4 Beedrills very quickly, and can recover swiftly if one is KO'd, due to Beedrill RR. The speed factor is why it is called "Speedrill".

In this and any deck discussion thread, the idea is to discuss the deck's possible techs, how it fares in the metagame, what Tier it is in, its counters, a good decklist for the deck, or just discussing the deck in general.

For the more recent previous deck discussions, please click on the links below. Some of the very old ones will not be listed because the last post is dated more than 2 weeks ago. To get to these threads, you may have to click one of the links, and then click a link inside that thread.

DD6: Flygon: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=57272
DD5: Mother Genagr: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=56969
DD4: Machamp: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=56769
DD3: Luxape: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=56549
DD2: Dialga G/Legos: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=56334

Now...discuss! (And do not mention Magikarp.)

Bidoof

Now if only there was a way Speedrill can prevent Luxray GL's Bright Look and Dusknoir DP's Dark Palm, then I would play it.

Yeah^, and then it would practically be BDIF. It's already amazing in Juniors and slightly in Seniors. I mean, it's faster than Machamp. ;o And that's pretty good. It's fairly consistent, but the problem I have with it is when it gets to late-game and the recovery factor. Regardless, I wonder why not that many people play this. It is one of the best decks around and I see it making a tough impact at Worlds.

dmaster out.

d master342 said:
It's fairly consistent, but the problem I have with it is when it gets to late-game and the recovery factor.
All you need is a Night Maintenance and you already can get two of the three with Beating Wings. Claydol will most likely get the third...

Voila, you still can do 120 damage.

yeah, i play this deck, and it is amazing. See, the second one of the beedrill die, i go night maintanence, and if i have BTS in play, i take 2 of them, and use either roseannes or bebes to take the other back and then evolve immediately and its amazing...i have beaten luxape 1 time with it, and i have only played it 3 times. The last battle i had with it was going neck and neck the entire battle, but i was unable to rescue the flutter wings beedrill so i lost...lol but it is a fabulous deck. Warp point variant in this deck is a great way to snipe out those important pokemon...

I played it at Nats. Lost to Flygon with Dusknoir, pretty annoying that way.
Dusknoir really is Beedrill's biggest enemy.

LuxApe auto-wins beedrill unfortunately. Dusknoir hurts as well. Lost Cyclone is a kick in the nuts as well. Good deck in a bad format.

Probably BDIF for Juniors and/or Seniors. Dusknoir is easily countered by your own Dusknoir tech. Honestly, I don't see why people think Beedrill can't have techs :/ It's so easy to get it into play with SSU or just 3 Beedrills while saccing the Azelf/Uxie. 3 Beedrill RR is also sick consistant if your not playing a Power-Lock. Power-Lock will actually hurt more than a trainer/stadium-lock. I haven't really played Luxape yet but I do know that Legos is an Autoloss to my Beedrill.

This maybe not be the BDIF, but is the BFIF(Best Fun in Format), it is truly a very fun deck to play. LOL I'm actually making a Speedrill article but on the AoA Beedrill(Beedrill G), then again Beedrill seems to have always been fairly fun to play.

ze_draeck said:
Probably BDIF for Juniors and/or Seniors. Dusknoir is easily countered by your own Dusknoir tech. Honestly, I don't see why people think Beedrill can't have techs :/ It's so easy to get it into play with SSU or just 3 Beedrills while saccing the Azelf/Uxie. 3 Beedrill RR is also sick consistant if your not playing a Power-Lock. Power-Lock will actually hurt more than a trainer/stadium-lock. I haven't really played Luxape yet but I do know that Legos is an Autoloss to my Beedrill.

You can ask Anna how Beedrill can play around Dusknoir ;)

^lol. Very big lol. As a side note, I am looking forward to next season so much. Finally winning a BR (it's atleast more doable now in Masters here in the North) and finally whooping your butt at cities :p

I don't know how you managed it, but your own Dusknoir tech can easily counter it (like I already said). Sadly, Dusknoir isn't the best tech for a Speedrill deck. It's better for the setup versions, which are only like, a turn slower with more consistency.

How I did it? I sacrificed Claydol (And Azelf, if needed) while hoarding Volkner, Pluspower (for Flygon X) and Night Maintainance in my hand. Worked like a charm.

And we'll see about that, I'm gonna enjoy steamrolling you ;)

Seth and Ariados, a good Beedrill gives Luxape some problems. Because look at it this way. They get one Bright Look in before I get my Beedrills out. I should be ready for them to get rid of Claydol. Then I can BTS another one out. At this point, I'm doing 120 damage. If they kill the second Claydol a couple turns later, I should be fairly well setup (with a couple Night Maintenance and search cards in my hand. If I need more draw later, I can just drop an Uxie. Then Infernape/Lucario isn't as great as it seems. They should be able to get the Energy Gain out pretty quickly, but they can't attach the two Fire Energy per turn and keep the Crobats going. If I can recover two Beedrill, I pretty much have the game. And yes, I have tested this. I played Luxape for awhile and only beat one Beedrill of about 6. Then I played with Beedrill and never lost to a Luxape. I played about 5 (and this was at Nationals, so these guys weren't noobs).

Dusknoir and Palkia are major problems. But Dusknoir isn't terrible if you either run Dusknoir or have two search cards in your hand (or 1 and a Rare Candy/Kakuna). Palkia/Dialga is pretty much un-winnable though. Any slower Power-Lock deck fails to Beedrill (such as Plox). I need three turns to get going, and they might be able to hold the lock for two or three turns. There's no way they'll be able to get three Gardevoir out, each with three energy in 5-6 turns. Even with Weavile, that's almost impossible. They have to set Claydol up too. Dialga is a problem, but only if it gets the T1 lock. If they do, however, I can:
A. String Shot and hope they don't LV. X/Poke Turn.
B. Bring something up to wall (Uxie/Azelf/Kakuna) and manually setup the 4 Beedrill. Once you get that going, they pretty much have to break the lock. Because you'll 1-2 shot everything while they 2-11-shot you. Slowly, the prizes will go in your favor.

^^to true, to true. See, I have even heard some people say kingrda owns beedrill, but beedrill 1 hits kingdra, while kingdra 2 shots beedrill. And luxape isnt that bad of a problem, because once you get good search cards in your hand a night maintenance(or 2) in your hand, claydol isnt that much of a necessity. You can sacrifice if needed, cause you run 2-2. Luxape is scary looking, as is dialga palkia, but if you have the speed, then you win.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Speedrill good enough to be tier 2 or 1? based on what you guys said, it sounds amazingly fast (faster than Machamp :O), and can hit for loads of damage.

it is a tier 1(in my opinion), but if not officially then definitely tier 1.5. Its a solid deck, and is just such a fast deck its hard to beat. It will be a top contender at worlds, thats for sure

beedrill is powerful but fragile. it needs all its bench space and god forbid if a couple of key components are prized (like a beedrill and azelf). after facing it a couple of times at Nats i built one to practice against and i found that gengar mopped the floor with it almost every time (impossible to get three unown g's out and attached in time).
i would put it squarely in the second tier. a modern krickitune.

^Lawl. You shouldn't even be running 3 Unown G. All you need is 1. Attach it to Claydol. Your opponent will deal 60 to Beedrill and if you're smart and see they don't have enough energy to Poltergiest next turn you'll have saved a couple SSU to bring the Beedrill right back. Then KO the Gengar and they still don't have enough energy to Poltergiest. I've shut every Gengar down except one with Beedrill and that was because of bad luck.

yeah, beedrill is one of the better decks around. I have beaten many many gengars with it and its no problem for me...its only real problem that i know of is Luxape, but thats much more common in masters...

Celebi23 said:
^Lawl. You shouldn't even be running 3 Unown G. All you need is 1. Attach it to Claydol. Your opponent will deal 60 to Beedrill and if you're smart and see they don't have enough energy to Poltergiest next turn you'll have saved a couple SSU to bring the Beedrill right back. Then KO the Gengar and they still don't have enough energy to Poltergiest. I've shut every Gengar down except one with Beedrill and that was because of bad luck.

and if you don't have the ssu in hand? or if you miss the flip(s)? let alone the 10% of the time that one unown g is prized then you what, ko gengar and hope they come up short on another flip? yeah, if you can get all of this to line up i am sure that then you can roll them but this sounds like an extremely rare set of circumstances. like i said, powerful but extremely fragile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back