Mario Kart Discussion Thread

Anyone play this still?

[21:07:24] <PMJ> 3738
[21:07:31] <PMJ> 0385
[21:07:36] <PMJ> 2439

is my fc, add me sometime and join me :) name yourself something I recognize :D

I don't like the direction the series is taking.I used to like Mario Kart, but ever since Wii when they added in a ridiculous amount of destructive items, I've lost interest. I have no intention of playing a game that is 90% luck and 10% skill, and it saddens me that they would allow the series to go in this direction. Worse yet, Nintendo seems to think that it's a good thing to have a racing series with no luck since unskilled players can win. Skill is all too important a factor in any video game, and it's unbelievable that Nintendo would undermine it. Well Nintendo, if that's how you feel, you won't be getting my money for this series any longer.

Dude, it's Mario Kart. Calm down.

Anyways, I still play the Wii version from time to time, I never bothered with the 3DS one, although I should get it eventually. I'll put my FC here later if anyone feels like a game or two.

Bolt the Cat said:
I have no intention of playing a game that is 90% luck and 10% skill, and it saddens me that they would allow the series to go in this direction.

The ratio is far lower. In, say, a one-on-one race I was having recently in a Community, the guy one three races, and I won one because of a lucky blue shell. Dude still won. All right, well in some full-on eight person races in a different community, the tally showed that one person was far ahead in points. The unskilled players, like myself and a couple others, were way behind almost the entirety of the race. I mean, if you're really that stingy about it, a community can turn off items. But then it isn't a kart racer, and then it isn't what Mario Kart has become. Else, if items were out all the time, it's my opinion that the game would lose a lot. Sure, no one particularly likes rubberbanding AI, but if you're decently skilled, it's easy enough. I'd certainly hate if I were a person who bought MK7 to play with my seasoned Mario Kart friends, and then frequently got lapped because luck was taken out of the equation.

On topic, yeah, a bit. My 3DS FC is: 4725-8118-2182

Bolt the Cat said:
I don't like the direction the series is taking.I used to like Mario Kart, but ever since Wii when they added in a ridiculous amount of destructive items, I've lost interest. I have no intention of playing a game that is 90% luck and 10% skill, and it saddens me that they would allow the series to go in this direction. Worse yet, Nintendo seems to think that it's a good thing to have a racing series with no luck since unskilled players can win. Skill is all too important a factor in any video game, and it's unbelievable that Nintendo would undermine it. Well Nintendo, if that's how you feel, you won't be getting my money for this series any longer.
y u so mad bro

Mario Kart has always been destructive in nature because it's a combat racing game, lol. There are only two items in the history of Mario Kart that can't be used offensively: the coin and the feather, both from the first game, and we all know what happened to those.

Also, if you think this game (or MK Wii, since that's the only other online-capable one) requires no skill (or just 10% skill), you're either naive, a scrub, or both. Try maxing out your VR in either game and you'll find that consistently maintaining a high VR is not easy. One bad race in MK Wii can set you back ten races trying to get your rating back. It's tough.

Though I will concede that getting blue pained when you're two feet from the finish line on the final lap, and then having two people pass you, resulting in you getting third, is pretty lame. That said, Mario Kart 7 did it right and made the blue pain follow the course track and not sail over the other karts, so I ain't even mad when I'm in like 5th and get smeared because I was in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Getting a high VR in MK7 also seems to be easier. Every race I do, if I don't come in first it's usually in the top 3 and I've cruised to 1900 VR and rising. The one time I came in 7th (out of 8) my VR was at 1610 and my score didn't change at all. Since you start at 1000, I figure that doing that badly would cost you at least a good 10-15 points (I usually get around 20 when I win).

So, a little bit of news for MK Wii players. More like a "Oh, whoa, I should be aware of that". So, last year, Nintendo brought out the stripped down Wii without GameCube ports. That meant that anyone who bought that couldn't play MK Wii with GameCube controls, a favorite among some. Since that was just another Wii, no one needed to worry about it. But now, if you get a Wii U, and transfer everything on to it, guess what? You don't have any GameCube ports. I don't imagine this will be a huge issue, as MK Wii U should support the Pro controller (a worthy replacement in my eyes), but still.

I think that in some of the earlier mariokart games, the chances of getting good items were much better. The other day, I was playing on the N64 and managed to get a star in 2nd place.

Chariblaze said:
So, a little bit of news for MK Wii players. More like a "Oh, whoa, I should be aware of that". So, last year, Nintendo brought out the stripped down Wii without GameCube ports. That meant that anyone who bought that couldn't play MK Wii with GameCube controls, a favorite among some. Since that was just another Wii, no one needed to worry about it. But now, if you get a Wii U, and transfer everything on to it, guess what? You don't have any GameCube ports. I don't imagine this will be a huge issue, as MK Wii U should support the Pro controller (a worthy replacement in my eyes), but still.

Whoa, I didn't even see this. Why wouldn't they put GCN ports on there??? That's silly. I like my Wii just fine because I have like six other emulators on there and I love love love using my GCN paddle so lol at all the suckers who got one without them.

I should start playing MK7 again.

Well, in the other thread that got locked I wrote a lot about my love for the series.. definitely not going to write it all of it again, right now anyways.(not hating on mods btw, i understand why it got locked)

Anyways, if anyone needs competitive advice on MKW you can ask me, I played it competitively for about a half year. I'm not the best of the best, but I can get you in the right direction. Also if anyone wants to have a race on MKW: 0862-0433-8788. I can actually do a couple right now if anyone wants.

EDIT: Well, heres the post again from the other thread:(thanks a ton Chariblaze!)

Oh Mario Kart. Where do I even begin with you. Probably one of my most favorite series ever, and Mario Kart Wii holds the record of the second most game I've played of all time(i think?), with around 350 hours. The first one I ever owned was Super Circuit, which I had a lot of fun with. I remember liking a lot of the tracks. The second one I owned was Mario Kart DS, which I also had a lot of fun with. The best thing about DS for me was the download play feature, when I was younger I had a rather long bus ride to school, and playing that with friends with their DS's on the way there was a blast. After DS, I then got Mario Kart Wii for christmas, and I'm pretty sure that one made me realize how much a Mario Kart fan I was. Heck, I had so much fun with that one that I actually quit this forum for a while to join a Mario Kart one. I played this one online so much it was crazy(explains why I have around 350 hours logged into it), and I also started playing that one competitively too, but thats another story. In short for that anyways, I could maintain around 8500-9000 vr decently back when I played the game online a lot, and was OK in clan wars. After about a whole good half year of playing the game, I then started to lose interest in it, and my activity on that Mario Kart forum I was in began to decrease. I tried making comebacks, but then I ultimately decided to stop playing it as crazy as I did altogether. I still do play online though from time to time, and I might actually try to get back into it again, I miss all the fun times. Anyways, midway into my Mario Kart Wii craziness, I got MK64 on virtual console, and that has my favorite Mario Kart track, Mario Raceway. I might pick up Mario Kart 7 if I ever get a 3DS,(which I will probably at some point for X and Y) and will probably play that online too. Oh, and although I don't actually have Double Dash, I have played it before, and that one is fun as well. In conclusion, they're all great games!(at least the ones I've played) Try to pick up one of them if you haven't played one before.(or maybe rent it first?)

Well there you have it, my Mario Kart story. If anyone wants to have a race on Mario Kart Wii online, my fc is 0862-0433-8788. I can also give out some decent competitive advice on that one too if you want, I will be honest, I wasn't the best of the best when I was playing it competitively, but I can give you good advice on the basics, and can get you in the right direction.

Gee, I never knew Mario Kart could get so competitive. Mario Kart has never seemed competitive to me.

3DS FC: 0860-3581-6040

If anyone ever wants a match LMK.

If you really want to see competitive Mario Kart, look up some videos on youtube. Warning though, the game then changes from Mario Kart Wii to Funky Bike Wii.(EDIT: and technically Daisy Bike Wii too, PMJ's post reminded me of that)

I use Daisy because

1. huge Daisy fan
2. she is way sexier than a hairy ape with shades
3. if I'm gonna use a heavyweight I might as well use Rosalina (who is totally a robot)

Totally should get a small group going to race each other at some point if there's enough dedicated people.

My experience with the franchise is very similar to pokemaister's actually. I always thought Mario Kart was great and pretty fun but I only started to truly appreciate it with MKW. I think the major attraction for me is definitely the wi-fi racing/battles. The single player option is fun once in a while but for me nothing compares to the competitiveness and challenge of playing against other good players trying to boost your rating. Just a few weeks back I was playing on wi-fi and having a lot of fun so even now after the game has been out for years I still go back to it and get some of the same thrills I used to.

Agreed with the group race idea.

Anyways, was just racing online and I had good races for the most part. Probably only 3-4 losses and only like, 2 set me back on my VR.(which I regained)

PMJ said:
Mario Kart has always been destructive in nature because it's a combat racing game, lol. There are only two items in the history of Mario Kart that can't be used offensively: the coin and the feather, both from the first game, and we all know what happened to those.

Also, if you think this game (or MK Wii, since that's the only other online-capable one) requires no skill (or just 10% skill), you're either naive, a scrub, or both. Try maxing out your VR in either game and you'll find that consistently maintaining a high VR is not easy. One bad race in MK Wii can set you back ten races trying to get your rating back. It's tough.

And I get that, but it's gotten to the point where the items dominate the gameplay, and they're a lot more prevalent than they used to. Games like Double Dash had a reasonable balance with the items, but once they started to introduce items like Bullet Bills, POW Blocks, Bloopers, and Mega Mushrooms it got to the point where you couldn't go 5 seconds without getting hit by something, sometimes getting hit by several items at once and getting bumped down near the back of the pack. I'm all for chaos, but this is going too far, they need to tone it down to the point where you still have a good shot at winning if you're skilled enough.

Anyway, this is what I think the next Mario Kart game should be like:

-Keep some of the innovations they've made with Wii and 7 like multiple vehicles and different modes of transportation (flying, swimming). Make it so flying vehicles and swimming vehicles are their own class, to add a bit more strategy to your choice of vehicle. For instance, swimming vehicles could allow you to enter water without falling off the course and access water based shortcuts, but may have drawbacks such as slower speed.
-Keep coins, you can collect them in race courses as well as win them in Grand Prix (maybe be awarded, say, 50 coins for first place overall, 25 coins for second place, etc., and those amounts could change based on difficulty and the ranking you achieve at the end). Coins can then be used to purchase new vehicles and vehicle parts in a shop.
-Items should be able to be individually toggled like in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for multiplayer. For single player, they could use a default selection of items that gives the game a reasonable balance of skill and chaos, maybe something like this:

Green Shell
Red Shell
Banana Peel
Banana Bunch
Fake Item Box
Super Leaf
Mushroom
Triple Mushroom
Starman
Blue Shell
Lightning Bolt OR POW Block (both of them would be overkill)
Blooper
Lightning Cloud
maybe Gold Mushroom (it'd be pretty rare, and only available if you're in last place, though)

and then they could have the following items as options for multiplayer:
Bullet Bill
Lightning Bolt
POW Block
Gold Mushroom
Mega Mushroom
Bob-omb

I think that would do slightly better as far as keeping the game balanced.

-Mission mode. IDK exactly how well DS' was since I haven't played it, but I was thinking more towards missions that would take place within the actual tracks and give you some sort of goal to accomplish there (finish the course within a certain amount of time, collect X amount of coins, etc.)

Bolt the Cat said:
PMJ said:

And I get that, but it's gotten to the point where the items dominate the gameplay, and they're a lot more prevalent than they used to. Games like Double Dash had a reasonable balance with the items, but once they started to introduce items like Bullet Bills, POW Blocks, Bloopers, and Mega Mushrooms it got to the point where you couldn't go 5 seconds without getting hit by something, sometimes getting hit by several items at once and getting bumped down near the back of the pack. I'm all for chaos, but this is going too far, they need to tone it down to the point where you still have a good shot at winning if you're skilled enough.

No, items don't dominate the gameplay, players using Funky Kong with the Flame runner bike do. Also, out of all the items you mentioned, only Mega Mushrooms and Bullet Bills can really screw your race up. Pow blocks can only really take away your item, because if you press up on the d-pad right before the Pow block goes off, you will only be stopped for a shorter amount of time then you would have been. Also, bloopers? Lol, for a skilled player(or even decently skilled), a blooper should be the last thing you should worry about. Heck, even a blue shell can be avoided if you have a mushroom and good timing. If you can react fast enough too, a bullet bill can be avoided. So once again, that only leaves Mega Mushrooms that you listed, and stars, which have been around since SMK, that can really screw up your race.

pokemaister899 said:
No, items don't dominate the gameplay, players using Funky Kong with the Flame runner bike do. Also, out of all the items you mentioned, only Mega Mushrooms and Bullet Bills can really screw your race up. Pow blocks can only really take away your item, because if you press up on the d-pad right before the Pow block goes off, you will only be stopped for a shorter amount of time then you would have been. Also, bloopers? Lol, for a skilled player(or even decently skilled), a blooper should be the last thing you should worry about. Heck, even a blue shell can be avoided if you have a mushroom and good timing. If you can react fast enough too, a bullet bill can be avoided. So once again, that only leaves Mega Mushrooms that you listed, and stars, which have been around since SMK, that can really screw up your race.

Individually, they're not really a threat. But they show up so often during the race and sometimes hit you consecutively, and that's the real problem here, it's the amount of destructive items and the frequency that they appear. I can weather the occasional Blue Shell or Lightning Bolt, but when it goes Red Shell, Red Shell, POW Block, Blooper, Blue Shell, Mega Mushroom, Blue Shell, Lightning Bolt, Red Shell, Blue Shell constantly throughout the entire race there's a real problem there. Also, Bullet Bills are a cop out for players with no skill. It's basically a glorified "warp past half the racers" item. At least with Gold Mushroom you have to be careful when you're using it, but the Bullet Bill pretty much just does the racing for you and the only thing you really have to worry about is if it dumps you on a curve.

Bolt the Cat said:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You are just a bad player.

Bolt the Cat said:
-Keep some of the innovations they've made with Wii and 7 like multiple vehicles and different modes of transportation (flying, swimming). Make it so flying vehicles and swimming vehicles are their own class, to add a bit more strategy to your choice of vehicle.

No. This is not Forza Motorsport, so don't make it even more screwed up and complicated. There's twelve stats to balance, isn't that enough for you?
Also, anybody want to race? I'm teh fierce battler on MK7.

Back