Pokemon Pokemon Plotholes Discussion Thread

RE: Pokemon Plotholes!

Flare said:
Maybe he goes in his pants...JK.

Also, when you beat Cynthia, they say you are the champion of Sinnoh. But if you battle the E4 again, Cynthia's still the champion.

Its called Plot induced amnesia except its for the elite four.

Plot Induced amnesia is a mechanic in any RPG game where despite completing everything including the boss, You can still do everything without your character or the NPCs knowing they have done it before.

How about... oh yeah... Pokemon only learning 4 moves? If you watch the anime, you see that Pikachu knows:

Thunder
Thunder Bolt
Volt Takle
Agility
Quick Atack
Iron Tail

That's 6 already!

The Power of Three said:
How about... oh yeah... Pokemon only learning 4 moves? If you watch the anime, you see that Pikachu knows:

Thunder
Thunder Bolt
Volt Takle
Agility
Quick Atack
Iron Tail

That's 6 already!

Bag of chips: $45
Candle you got for your mom for christmas: $35
4 Strength, 4 Stan Leather Belt: ?
Worth of Mew learning pretty much every move: Priceless

tsuni_the_kingdra_master said:
Jamtok said:
Bag of chips: $45

Don't know many people who would spend that much on chips...

You don't know that many people at all, Jacob. XD

That wasn't the point though; the whole purpose of the post was to show an example of pokes that learn more than 4 moves in the anime. I'm guessing the 4-move rule doesn't apply in the shows.

No. The reason they stuck a restriction. was because the game would get too wild with 6+ amount of moves on each Pokemon. You can't play a fair game anymore.

And I would buy a bag of chips for $45.

Zyflair said:
No. The reason they stuck a restriction. was because the game would get too wild with 6+ amount of moves on each Pokemon. You can't play a fair game anymore.

And I would buy a bag of chips for $45.

I never said anything about the game; I am talking about the anime and how pokes ignore the 4-move restriction in it, not the game; that's common sense, I know; nothing new to me.

Those would have to be some gosh-darn good chips to be 45 bucks. XD
(And the bag better be filled all the way, instead of halfway or less with chips. Don't you hate when that happens?)

Jamtok said:
I never said anything about the game; I am talking about the anime and how pokes ignore the 4-move restriction in it, not the game; that's common sense, I know; nothing new to me.

The anime has always been very good about keeping a Pokemon's moves to four at one time. The producers have been meticulous about it in Diamond and Pearl especially. For example, Pikachu currently only knows Thunderbolt, Volt Tackle, Iron Tail and Quick Attack and Piplup only knows Bubblebeam, Bide, Peck and Whirlpool. No more than four.

masterryanx said:
Jamtok said:

The anime has always been very good about keeping a Pokemon's moves to four at one time. The producers have been meticulous about it in Diamond and Pearl especially. For example, Pikachu currently only knows Thunderbolt, Volt Tackle, Iron Tail and Quick Attack and Piplup only knows Bubblebeam, Bide, Peck and Whirlpool. No more than four.

Obviously Mew surpasses this exception though. Think about it; Mew knows transform, Mew attains moves from the poke it transformed into, so technically it knows more than 4 if you think about it, since it still has transform + the 4 moves from the poke it transforms into. It makes sense; learn to be open minded please. This only applies in the anime for Mew, though. ^_^

Also, in the anime, there is no reference to upping the special side of attacks; everything is used with things like Swords Dance, Belly Drum, and the defensive sided are things like Iron Defense and Defense Curl. Nothing for Amnesia, Calm Mind, Nasty Plot etc.

Lieutenant Houndoom said:
Also, in the anime, there is no reference to upping the special side of attacks; everything is used with things like Swords Dance, Belly Drum, and the defensive sided are things like Iron Defense and Defense Curl. Nothing for Amnesia, Calm Mind, Nasty Plot etc.

Very true. This is mainly because not everything will work in the anime. The producers really do their best to keep it as close to the games as possible but it can't always be done. Especially when it comes to the battles.

Another example would be attacks like Baton Pass which has never been seen before in the anime, as it doesn't fit the style of battling currently in place. Mainly due to the fact that trainers do not typically swtch Pokemon in a battle until one has already fainted.

It'll be pretty odd to be fast enough to intercept an incoming attack while switching. And... Weavile just catches the beam of light before it hits the ball? o_0

Yeah, the whole sequence of battle in most RPGs are a bit comical. Each opponent has to wait to take their turn instead of just striking the foe whenever you please. It does make it easier in one sense, but it's funny that you don't just press buttons for a Pokemon to use a move. :)

LuckyLuigi7 said:
Yeah, the whole sequence of battle in most RPGs are a bit comical. Each opponent has to wait to take their turn instead of just striking the foe whenever you please. It does make it easier in one sense, but it's funny that you don't just press buttons for a Pokemon to use a move. :)

This is exactly why Gamefreak should have a fighting Pokemon game; like mortal kombat, but with Pokemon instead. I know many have said this before, but since we're on the subject, yeah. The character selection screen would be hard to decide though, unless you have all 493 pokes in it. XD

Jamtok said:
This is exactly why Gamefreak should have a fighting Pokemon game; like mortal kombat, but with Pokemon instead. I know many have said this before, but since we're on the subject, yeah. The character selection screen would be hard to decide though, unless you have all 493 pokes in it. XD
Yep I kinda agree but instead of having a character selection screen you have to unlock all the good ones and legendarys by battling them! So you start of with Bulbasaur, Pidgey etx

Yeah, sometimes I wish there could be a Pokemon game where you actually use the moves like Smash Bros., but it does involve a moveset containing 4 moves. That would add a suprising new twist to the normal gameplay. It makes it funny because battling where each opponent takes his or her turn is not very realistic. But I really don't mind it. I might actually prefer it over just plain-out fighting. :p

It would be different, for you can own people with bullet seed. A bunch of seeds shooting out is a good move.

I had an idea for this; it'll end up rather difficult having to factor in standard moves, as well as accuracy, PP, priority, speed, as well as some intangable moves like Psychic.

And enough of that and get back to stuff that actually are logic potholes in the game.

Yeah, I used to think about this too, kinda like a halo type game but with pokemon and a bit more combat.

Back