Proposed Forum Restructuring

Kingdra King said:
IMO, the thing that needs more attention is the Fan Creations. (Not Celadon Mart) As someone already said here, there are contests like AOTW and Project Custom and others that are not getting any attention. Even more, many gallerys get opened only to see litlle action and be left to die after a week or so. I know that their was an attempt to make this whole area better but I think that we could do better.

You did see that we made Fan Creations its own category, right? And the whole point of doing that was to...well, put more attention on it. We're two steps ahead of ya, we're gonna finish the rest of the reform hopefully this weekend and have it all ready to go by the time its moved.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention - You won PC4 =)

-Black Rayquaza

Yeah, the badge system could be a good idea for members who want to post in Route 24 (I better name for Route 24 would be nice, however.) Eh, short sentences now. I really don't have much to say.

I don't get why we need mediators. Moderators should be involved enough within their respective forums to know what is going on. Additionally, while you say that mediators have little power, I think that having the voice that represents what the public is thinking gives the mediator a very large amount of power indeed, as it's capable of influencing a moderators decision. What is to stop the mediator from being biased and only voicing the opinions that he/she likes? Mediators feel like just another needless and potentially damaging user group, reminiscent of the Clan Council era.

Regarding the forum for badged members only, I agree that it should be viewable to non-badged members, on the basis that a) they can learn from it and b) we should have nothing to hide anyway. This forum should strictly be for the improvement of Pokebeach though, so nothing like an exclusive Game Corner or Chillax Zone. The reason why I am against things like that is because it can isolate the badged members from the rest of community, as the badged members will have less reason to post outside of the "noob free" special forum.

Before anyone continues discussion on the Clan Council I just want to say that I admit that it wasn't a good idea and I mishandled it. Let's leave it at that.

bacon said:
I don't get why we need mediators. Moderators should be involved enough within their respective forums to know what is going on. Additionally, while you say that mediators have little power, I think that having the voice that represents what the public is thinking gives the mediator a very large amount of power indeed, as it's capable of influencing a moderators decision. What is to stop the mediator from being biased and only voicing the opinions that he/she likes? Mediators feel like just another needless and potentially damaging user group, reminiscent of the Clan Council era.

Regarding the forum for badged members only, I agree that it should be viewable to non-badged members, on the basis that a) they can learn from it and b) we should have nothing to hide anyway. This forum should strictly be for the improvement of Pokebeach though, so nothing like an exclusive Game Corner or Chillax Zone. The reason why I am against things like that is because it can isolate the badged members from the rest of community, as the badged members will have less reason to post outside of the "noob free" special forum.

See, the bolded part, that's the thing. There are currently a lot of inactive staff members (well, it seems that way), so people like I said who are fluent in the Video Games section only might not know how to handle the TCG section, and maybe won't moderate those forums because it either doesn't interest them or... they just don't know what's going on there. A mediator would help introduce them to the forums and what's going on there. Not even that, but if we cycle the mediators like Raikou suggested, then we begin to influence other members to post a lot better and possibly become a mediator (the badge system would already do that, I know, but this is a little extra something ;P). The thing that IS stopping the mediator from voicing only opinions that he/she likes is the constant contact with the moderators. If the mediators have little to no power other than serving as a link between the members and the moderators, then they shouldn't have to feel biased. Even if they do, the moderators know better than to listen to biased opinions.

Also, I completely agree with the second part of your post. Route 24 should be visible to all members so they can study from the veteran members, so that possibly the next 'cycle' of mediators could include them. As for Clan Council... eh, let's not go there. This group has little to no power, as stated previously. The Clan Council had absolute power over the Clans and Clubs forum. This group's purpose is to educate moderators and members on specific forums they might not visit frequently. The Clan Council was, like Noobnerd said, a mistake.

Galefail said:
See, the bolded part, that's the thing. There are currently a lot of inactive staff members (well, it seems that way), so people like I said who are fluent in the Video Games section only might not know how to handle the TCG section, and maybe won't moderate those forums because it either doesn't interest them or... they just don't know what's going on there. A mediator would help introduce them to the forums and what's going on there. Not even that, but if we cycle the mediators like Raikou suggested, then we begin to influence other members to post a lot better and possibly become a mediator (the badge system would already do that, I know, but this is a little extra something ;P). The thing that IS stopping the mediator from voicing only opinions that he/she likes is the constant contact with the moderators. If the mediators have little to no power other than serving as a link between the members and the moderators, then they shouldn't have to feel biased. Even if they do, the moderators know better than to listen to biased opinions.

Mediators aren't going to make inactive Staff active again lol. That's up to the decisions of the Moderators.

dmaster out.

That's not what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that mediators will take the active mods who don't moderate certain forums and introduce them to the discussion and alert them of the problems going on in those forums.

That's a useless idea unless moderators are going to start doing quality control. I have handled countless things in the TCG section without any knowledge of the game.

Galefail said:
That's not what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that mediators will take the active mods who don't moderate certain forums and introduce them to the discussion and alert them of the problems going on in those forums.

Yeah, I mean, that's the point of a variety of Mods. Some don't have to know exactly how to play the TCG competitively to move a thread lol. In a way the Mediators are already doing their job, reporting threads.

dmaster out.

I don't know, it would just make the moderators seem more... accessible, I guess, for lack of a better word. I mean, like I said, it would serve as a connection between the members and the mods, because a member might sometimes find a moderator not... accessible, once again, for lack of a better word. If a member is talking to another member about their concerns with a certain area of the forum, they might feel more comfortable. That's usually what a mediator is supposed to do.

Once again, I'm just throwing thoughts and ideas out there. :S

I think we should edit the Trade/Buy/Sell forums.

Heres my suggestion: Keep the trading forum seperate. Like it is right now, but create a "Selling Forum" with only Verified Sellers being allowed to create a thread. The Buying Forum would be unnecessary because members could just look through the "Selling Forum" for the card/anything they need to buy.

ace11 said:
I think we should edit the Trade/Buy/Sell forums.

Heres my suggestion: Keep the trading forum seperate. Like it is right now, but create a "Selling Forum" with only Verified Sellers being allowed to create a thread. The Buying Forum would be unnecessary because members could just look through the "Selling Forum" for the card/anything they need to buy.

Way ahead of you. Be patient. I have some more things planned for the Trading Forum.

Shining Raikou said:
Way ahead of you. Be patient. I have some more things planned for the Trading Forum.

NICE!!!! When can we expect this greatness?

Edit: At the badge system. I somewhat disagree with the Badge System. It, I believe can cause some problems between members such as level of hierarchy. Members should be represented equally, and not "I'm better because I have X Badge." Personally, I think it doesn't help distinguish members by level of succession. Secondly, would there be any advantages to these badges? And if there are, its creating an unequal setting for members. So in sum of this, it can work, just make sure the status and orderliness of each regular member stays equal.

I just had a thought. Don't know if it is a good idea but. Would it be a good idea if member had a move button in case they or we put the thread we are making in the wrong forum. Say we make a thread in Gaming discussion but should be in D/P/PL discussion? If we had a button that would say "Move Thread and then a drop down window of the active forums to move the thread to it will give the mods a better chance on a more serious problem rather than them doing it all the time. I just think we should be allowed to move our threads. If it gets out of hand then we can add a limit to how many times it can be moved. Per thread.:)

xxashxx, the problem is, that would be abused so much. If you give moderator powers to all of the members, they won't handle it well at all. If you're aware that you've posted a thread in the wrong forum, just copy and paste your original post, delete it, and post it in the appropriate forum.

Oh ok. It was only a thought I had. I could do that too. I never thought to do that either actually.:)

I had a similar thought a while ago. I thought that veteran members might be given small powers like the ones you suggested. People who know the forums like the back of their hand, but may not be fit to be a moderator might have the ability to do small things in the forums, and if they abuse it, it's gone. Otherwise, it makes it easier on the mods.

Generally if you give any sort of staff group powers it gets out of hand. I do not by any means endorse this idea, but if it is implemented, it would have to be given in both moderation and wisely to those who could be trusted with certain moderator powers. Once again, it would also have to be very limited. I don't know, I just don't think it'd work. It hasn't before.

Limited for sure. I don't think it would get out of hand. I'm sure all of us have seen a thread where we know it should be in another forum. Active and trustable members would simply move it to the correct forum. Deleting/editing should definently not be implied, but I think that there are many members we have who can do little things to help out.

Back