SSB Brawl Discussion Thread

RE: The official Super Smash Bros Brawl thread.

Lololol at Kevin.

Lucario's Down+B could be Substitute. He takes 25% damage to himself and creates a Substitute that can fight for him without taking any damage for Lucario. Of course, it'd take around 40-50% damage to kill the Sub, though. ;p

^Ooh, that'd be awesome.

That's an innovative idea and brings more appeal to having a character like Lucario. There is only one loophole that I foresee with that, though - how does Lucario attack while the Substitute is out? Does he swap back and forth (like in the games) or does he just sit there and cause recoil? :F

Kevin Garrett said:
That's an innovative idea and brings more appeal to having a character like Lucario. There is only one loophole that I foresee with that, though - how does Lucario attack while the Substitute is out? Does he swap back and forth (like in the games) or does he just sit there and cause recoil? :F

Nah, you run around as the little substitute thing (as seen on D/P), and use Lucario's attacks.

:F

Hmm, that would be interesting. It would also be cool if Kirby could absorb the substitute, take on its appearance, and have the Substitute removed from Lucario. Or... Maybe it should stay. :p

Have any of you guys heard anything about Mewtwo yet? I am asking because there has not been a character revealed for about 2 or 3 weeks now. I hope Mewtwo is in the game.:)

I think the pokemon which appear as playable charactershave to be over average pokemon. Pikachu is in because he the mascot.
Pichu is in because its the prevevovle of the macot.
mewtwo because it is supposed to be the strongest pokemon of the first gen and start of the first movie.
S/C/I because they are 1st gen starters and the 1st gen was the most succesful gen.
Jiggypuff: Anime appearance?

but lucario....

but lucario what?
lucario is, next to ash and companions, a main character in the movie lucario and the mystery of mew...he can definitly be in it.
mewtwo would be out then, because he is indeed a 1st generation pokémon, and has little to do with the games, and movies after "the return of mewtwo..."
why no more pichu? because it's a doppelganger of pikachu...and the rat was just to weak....

i like the substitute idea :d:d:d:d why didn't i think of that?:p
jiggly was fun, i admit, and i do see him returning...wonder when they would anounce him:p If he makes it ofcourse...

greets,
psycho

Mewtwo was in FRLG, which is one of the Pokémon games which will have its 1st appearance in Brawl, although we already have 2 FRLG characters, possibly 3 if jiggly's in, Mewtwo might just make it. Don't forget that pokémon is, next to Mario, the best selling Nintendo franchise. DP is the 2nd best-selling DS game, Sakurai is not going to displease the so many Pokémon fans by only adding 2 playable characters, possibly 3, when they used to have 4, especially now that the number of characters has doubled. So expect mewtwo in there, along with some DP Pokémon (or trainer), lucario has the best odds. But I'd like to see some special characters, I donno, Darkrai?

if pichu makes it as a character in this game it will seriously point me towards not buying it
i mean come on pichu sucked in every way possibly...it even hurt itself with every move along with it's awful stamina.

but if jiggly's in...i'm definitely buying it. jigglypuff rocks! i love rest. jiggly is my one of my most used characters in melee (link is the other)

mewtwo i'm neutral about: never really liked him, never hated him. his taunt was cool though.

Mewtwo was just plain terrible, but it's pretty fun to play with, not that I played with it too often. I mean, c'mon, weirdest jump ever, serious recoil when you fire shadow ball, 2 almost useless close-range moves, weak smash and throw moves, big, light-framed, ... Wavedashing is the only it does well, I guess.

Jiggly's always been my main, it might not be the best character, but it's just so much fun to use. I swear, I'll kill Sakurai, or, well, hurt him... Alright, I'll write an angry letter which he won't understand anyways if Jiggly's not in.

Heavenly Spoon :F said:
Mewtwo was just plain terrible, but it's pretty fun to play with, not that I played with it too often. I mean, c'mon, weirdest jump ever, serious recoil when you fire shadow ball, 2 almost useless close-range moves, weak smash and throw moves, big, light-framed, ... Wavedashing is the only it does well, I guess.
haha yeah..his little flippy move is my favorite...it does abosultely nothing.

Personally I see no reason/evidence as to why Jigglypuff would be removed.

On the other hand, I believe Pichu won't be making it into this game. Look at this update. For Pikachu, it shows him wearing one of Pichu's alternate costumes from Melee. This could be evidence that Pichu is out.
Also, Sakurai said no more clones, and how different could Pichu really be from Pikachu? Just because it's the pre-evolved version of Pikachu does not guarantee that it's returning to the game.

About the substitute idea, that move would need a lot of tweaking if it were to be in Brawl. You said it does about 25% to Lucario to use the substitute, and then it takes about 40-50% to destroy the substitute. This means that the instant the sub was destroyed, Lucario could make another one for 25%, and keep going each time a sub was destroyed. That means to get Lucario up to 100%, you'd need to destroy 4 subs, or do 200%. Maybe when in the sub, Lucario could only do a select amount of moves, or he would jump shorter, run slower, etc. Maybe Substitute could make a level 5 or so AI appear of a brighter colored Lucario for 30% on the actual Lucario, and that substitute would fight on its own as you fight, and it would just go away after recieving 15% or so. That way you could use it to trip up your oppenent once or twice, but spamming it would just be hurting you more than it would hurt your oppenent.

[ChanseyMaster]

hmmm CM is right...i think in the games, you do a certain amount of dmg to yourself, and the substitue has equal the hp you lost... so it shud be the same in brawl...if it does 25% to lucario, it only has to take 25% (or 30% to make it interesting) before it disappears...
or like Cm said, it generates a lower-level (or random level) AI that fights with you, but only takes like 15% or 20% before disappearing...
with the random level AI: i'd say: the lower the level of the Ai is, the more dmg it needs to receive before disappearing, the higher it's level, the less dmg...

something among these lines... lucario ALWAYS does 25% to itself when using substitute, if the AI is level 1 (very very easy) it has to receive 50%
at level 2, it has receive 45%
lvl 3: 40% and so on to level 9(rather hard)...on which it shud only receive 10% before disappearing, if i calculated correct...ofcourse, this is only an example, those numbers may vary...ofcourse, for pro players, it wouldn't really matter if the AI is lvl 1 or 9...they still kick it's ass:p

it still would be funny though:p

greets,
psycho

I hope they release A newcomer soon. Im just dying to see what the next one will be.

Heavenly Spoon :F said:

Jiggly's always been my main, it might not be the best character, but it's just so much fun to use. I swear, I'll kill Sakurai, or, well, hurt him... Alright, I'll write an angry letter which he won't understand anyways if Jiggly's not in.

Actually Mewtwo is perfect for me in Melee because he is nice and slow and easy for me to handle. If Pikachu was not so incredibly fast I would use him like I do in the first game because he is nice and slow and easy for me to handle. Mewtwo was the best Pokemon character that was playable so I hope he makes a return to Brawl.:)

Lucario would be cool but his chances are low... mabye he will replace jiggy but what about his alternate costumes?

well, you know how Pokémon can be "shiny" right? so that would be one...and just like pikachu ,jiggly, mewtowo etc in melee, they can give him other colours...i wouldn't know any other way...doesn't seem bad either...because lucario doesn't have any actual other possible costumes...

greets,
psycho

Oh, c'mon, lucario would get: The hat Sir Aron wore in the movie, some other hat, and ... well, yeah, maybe they could also just change the color of his yellow... whatever it is, you know, the shirt-kinda-thing with the needle.

Seriously "replace jiggly", there's nothing lucario can actually do to replace jiggly, jiggly is way too unique a character to be replaced with your every-day fighting dog which will just be like every other fast character.

If anything , Lucario would replace mewtwo(Aura sphere, shadow ball etc)

Back