SSB Brawl Discussion Thread

RE: The official Super Smash Bros Brawl thread.

its not a clone his moves look completely different

How old they are has nothing to do with who's included in the game. If it was, how do you explain Mr. Game and Watch in SSBM?

ness will be in the game because he was one of the original 12. The original 12 are practically automatically in the game.

Great. Like we needed another fetus-shaped kid running all over the place.

Whatever, just reconfirm Ness. Now.

[ChanseyMaster]

yeah i want ness to came back! (but lucas is a great addition :D)

I have strong doubts that Lucas will replace Ness. Ness is well-known in the U.S.A. and outside of Japan.

I am very excited that Lucas was announced on SSBB. Let me explain... there were three games in the Mother series released in Japan. By the time the first game released in Japan was translated, the SNES was released here. At that time, Mother 2 was released in Japan. Since Mother would probably not sell well due to the release of the SNES, Mother 2 was released in its place outside of Japan. Mother 2 became known as Earthbound. It had a lot of advertising promoting the game, but got dismissed because of the fact that it didn't have the same graphics and gameplay as other RPGs released on the SNES, and didn't sell as well as the creators wished.

Nevertheless, I consider Earthbound to be one of the greatest games on the SNES. It has lots of humor, quirkiness, and allusions to real life that make the story and gameplay make up for the differences from other RPGs. Its popularity has increased over the years, and still remains to be quite popular today.

Ever since Earthbound has been released outside of Japan, with the exception of Ness in Super Smash Bros and Super Smash Bros Melee, there has been no other mention of the Earthbound / Mother series outside of Japan. Mother 3 was released in Japan, which would be the sequel to Earthbound / Mother 2. This game was never released outside of Japan, and we have never seen any clues that the game might be made outside of Japan.

Until now.

Lucas is the main character of Mother 3. His presence in Super Smash Brothers Brawl could mean several things:

1) The creator of the Mother series recognizes that there is a fairly strong fanbased that wants Mother 3 to be released, and wants to at least give them a treat.

2) Same as above, except it is a test to see if its popularity would make a re-release of the game in other languages (This is the ideal situation, IMO).

3) The creator wants to include a character that is popular in Japan so that people in Japan don't feel left out.

Hopefully, 1) or 2) are the scenarios involved, but I am hoping that it is scenario 2).

Sources: Starmen.net, Wikipedia

In the end, the release of Lucas is a victory for me, at least. I am fairly confident that Ness will be in SSBB. Remember that with the current pace we have been going at, there has been a new character introduced once per week. This means that there are at least 9 or more characters that are likely to be announced as more info about SSBB is released.

Earthbound was very popular here in 1995 I think but I was never a fan of Earthbound because Killer instinct took over that game when it first came out that I got hooked fast because I loved the way it Played. Anyway Ness could and only could be out if and only if Lucas is in the game because Ness took the first 2 games of The Super Smash Bros series but I would like to see him back. I played with Ness a few times but not as much as I played with the Pokemon characters though.:)

Woah, the Metal Gear update today looked pretty intense.
Although for some reason half the videos on the update won't play for me currently, the level still looks very awesome. (Although I don't get the whole Spotlight/Exclamation mark thing. Is it relevant to the battle?)

[ChanseyMaster]

Yeah i hope it is scenario 1 or 2. Anyway two snake related updates with a 1 minute and 19 sec clip and a new course!

Ill snake want to eat yoshi like what.This is way to weird but his dialog is funny so I guess I will play as him a lot.

*lol at last post* the clip is not really worth looking at unless youre a snak fan,Or a mario fan :p.

Aw-aw-awsome!!!!!!

Okay, I haven't posted here in a few days, but still.

Lucas looks great! Sadly, though, his moves somewhat resemble Ness's moves, so, that means that...*sniff....Ness's chances of being in have gone down. Of course, there still is that stuff that PMJ was saying, but still. I don't get why they would take him out, though. Now, I'm not saying that they have--I haven't given up hope just yet--but it would be a mistake to take him out. He's been a classic Super Smash character through both the games before Brawl. And, he was one of the better ones. Oh well, I guess. I'll get used to Lucas. He'll be my new favorite Smash character, if Ness is thrown out. I already really, really like him. :]

Wow, Snake movies = Awesomeness

Lol, at Snake's Wario thing.

The new stage looks good. A little dark, but, it's a nice change of pace.

ness chances only increased in my opinion. And what is up with this?
lucas_071001d-l.jpg

does he have the abilty to control players maybe?

(and snake looks great :D)

What pokemon will be in the game and what are their effects?

Back