XY Sylveon's type is pink

All it means when it says an Eeveelution with a different type is that it is a different type than the other 7 Pokemon that evolve from Eevee. I think you are looking too hard.

King Arceus said:
All it means when it says an Eeveelution with a different type is that it is a different type than the other 7 Pokemon that evolve from Eevee. I think you are looking too hard.

Possibly for that text, but you can't deny the pattern in the name.

Fairies fly; therefore I think it's a bit more likely that it's Flying type than a completely new type. While you have a logical argument for it, I don't think there's really enough evidence to substantiate a new type just yet.

Mora said:
Fairies fly; therefore I think it's a bit more likely that it's Flying type than a completely new type. While you have a logical argument for it, I don't think there's really enough evidence to substantiate a new type just yet.

I don't believe that they would add a new type at this point, but I would still set a new type far above Flying, Bug, Ground, Steel, Poison, Fight, Dragon (which are all equally absurd). None of them have any solid indication (which actually makes a more solid argument for Normal), just weak arguments, which should be safe to ignore given how obvious eeveelutions types tend to be.

Fairies are magical beings, therefore Ghost
Fairies live near the planets surface, therefore Ground
Fairies are "insert random justification for random type"

Mitja said:
Fairies are magical beings, therefore Ghost

That reminds me, isn't there somewhere where fairies actually means ghosts? They call them fairies, but they're actually the dead. Germany? Ireland? Somewhere?

Anyways, the point was that an old type is more likely than a new type.

Guys, they already revealed Sylveon's type. I will clearly be ??? type. It even says so below it in the type box like all the other Eeveelutions have on the Japanese website.

CorinthiansRose said:
King Arceus said:

Possibly for that text, but you can't deny the pattern in the name.

The problem with this argument is that all the other eeveelutions are not named litterally after their types either, Vaporeon is not called Watereon, it is named after ''vapour'', obviously pointing at water vapour, but a vapour is actually any substance of which its temperature is below its critical point, yet is in a gas phase, but it is not a Flying-type. Umbreon is another good example, a possible translation for the Latin word ''umbra'' is ''shadow'', yet it is not Ghost, but a Dark-type.

Their names do hint at their types, but it is not always obvious.

The problem with Sylveon is that its English (and French) name can be derived from so many possible things (from various plants, to birds, insects and mythological creatures), it is almost impossible to derive a certain inspiration based on their names alone. Its German name Feelerina is perhaps still the best indication of a possible inspiration; ''eine Fee'', or a fairy. Since a new type is not likely to get introduced in this generation for various reasons, we have to look at the existing types. The word fairy brings one Pokémon to mind though; Clefairy. Clefairy, one of the many fairy-like Pokémon, is just as Sylveon, both pink and a Normal-type. If there is one type that corresponds with Sylveon's name and appearance it would be Normal. Unless GameFreak decides to do something radical, I do not see it becoming any other type than Normal.

The problem with this argument is that all the other eeveelutions are not named litterally after their types either, Vaporeon is not called Watereon, it is named after ''vapour'', obviously pointing at water vapour, but a vapour is actually any substance of which its temperature is below its critical point, yet is in a gas phase, but it is not a Flying-type. Umbreon is another good example, a possible translation for the Latin word ''umbra'' is ''shadow'', yet it is not Ghost, but a Dark-type.

Their names do hint at their types, but it is not always obvious.

The problem with Sylveon is that its English (and French) name can be derived from so many possible things (from various plants, to birds, insects and mythological creatures), it is almost impossible to derive a certain inspiration based on their names alone. Its German name Feelerina is perhaps still the best indication of a possible inspiration; ''eine Fee'', or a fairy. Since a new type is not likely to get introduced in this generation for various reasons, we have to look at the existing types. The word fairy brings one Pokémon to mind though; Clefairy. Clefairy, one of the many fairy-like Pokémon, is just as Sylveon, both pink and a Normal-type. If there is one type that corresponds with Sylveon's name and appearance it would be Normal. Unless GameFreak decides to do something radical, I do not see it becoming any other type than Normal.

While I agree it isn't always obvious in English (and sometimes another language), the majority of other languages it was translated into does make it obvious. I do agree with you about Vaporeon's name in English, in most other languages, aqua/water is in the name though.

This is a pattern for all of the Eeveelutions. A couple languages may not be 100% obvious, but other languages do make it obvious. Umbreon does mean shadow in latin, and in other languages it translates into black and night. I do agree that these could still have meant ghost, but I think Umbreon is an exception when it comes to how obvious the type is.

All other Eeveelutions are very straightforward in their names. This is one of those times though that in every language, they can all be directly translated into fairy. While in English and French it doesn't directly say fairy, all other languages do, so I feel we can safely say that the English and French names point to the fairy translation of the name.

These are obviously just my own speculations though, some people will agree and some won't. We'll just have to wait and find out I suppose :)

Maybe it will be Rainbow type and get STAB with all moves but won't apply Weakness or Resistance.

Well, "nymph" (probably the most important root to consider, since it's the one the Japanese name is taken from) is a very large category encompassing land, water, plant, celestial, and even underworld spirits, and traditionally the only thing thye have in common is that they're beautiful women. The other names could be coming from "sylph", but it could also be the root "sylv-", which generally refers to forest and jungles. So the names don't seem to be much help.

Personally, I'm still leaning toward Flying, but only because it's one of the largest Eeveelutions, while also being the lightest. (And if we go by the anime/movies, the end of this trailer suggests that it's the largest.) Low density suggests Flying more than Normal to me.

Using the chart on their English website, I very much believe that it could be a new type, but other than that, there are only 3 types that I believe it could be.
Since the chart (shown in earlier spoilers) matches the pokemon up by type effectiveness, with super effectives being across from each other, I'm guessing that Sylveon would have to be either a Flying Type, or a Ground Type (considering there is already a water eeveelution and temporarily barring the idea of a new type). This is because that Electric Types are weak to Ground, and super effective against Flying, leading me to this conclusion if Sylveon fits the pattern of every other opposite pairing on the chart.
However, if Sylveon IS a new type, I would expect that type to be either super effective against, or weak to, Electric type pokemon based on the same reasoning. However, this reasoning is based off the picture provided by Nintendo, and could be intentionally misleading to lead us into believing that it is a type completely different than what they had in mind.

TLDR: I believe that the most obvious choices (following the pattern on the chart Nintendo provided) are either Ground Type, Flying Type, or a new Type, of which I believe Flying to be the most likely of all. The artistic style with flowing ribbons, the large size and low weight, and the color scheme not matching what I would predict a Ground Type to be like are my reasons for this. That, and the fact that a new type might be a poor choice when you're already having to redesign every attack animation in the game for the 3DS, which would complicate the issue of creating a whole new type of pokemon and moves.

I would be so disappointed if it's turned out to be flying type. I want something cool. <.<

I believe 6th Gen is a new revelation. Why not make a new type? I cant imagine it being a dragon type, gosh forbid. Probably not a poison type. We will have to see at E3 most likely.

chellochello said:
I believe 6th Gen is a new revelation. Why not make a new type? I cant imagine it being a dragon type, gosh forbid. Probably not a poison type. We will have to see at E3 most likely.

Probably not. Pokémon usually doesn't reveal stuff at E3. That might change with the simultaneous release dates this time around, but if there is a new type, we'll most likely hear about it in conjunction with Smash or CoroCoro like usual.

I'm expecting something out of the ordinary. My guess for a new type is a Fairy type.

I think they might slap a pure Flying-type on it, just to make it somewhat unique (shh, Tornadus, the fans don't love you nearly as much).
Either that, or Normal, based on the fact that the in-game footage of it didn't seem to show moves of any other type. Then again, that's probably more to just keep things vague.
The problem I have with the popular Fairy type theory is that there's already a Fairy egg group (which, incidentally, none of Eevee's current evolutions belong to). Sooo much retconning to be had. ._.

frezgle said:
The problem I have with the popular Fairy type theory is that there's already a Fairy egg group (which, incidentally, none of Eevee's current evolutions belong to). Sooo much retconning to be had. ._.
How is that a problem at all?

Back