Top tier decks after ND

RobertBenjamin said:
It is relevant since there will still be catcher and eviolite in the format. What ND adds to the meta is that it give us EXes. Naturally it remains to be seen if this EXes will affect the western meta but if you've been reading forums and blogs we know that in Japan Mewtwo EX had a big impact in their meta when it was released.

you're forgetting that Reshiram[EX] can ohko Magnezone Prime and Emboar without the help of Black Belt. Whereas you will need to lost burn 4 energy to kill a Reshiram[EX]. A smart player will hamstring your ability to get 4 energies in the field by killing first those tepigs,pignites, emboars and any pokemon that has any energy attached to it.

Celebi-Tornadus-Mewtwo EX decks will have a lot of space to tech in Terrakion to deal with those lightning pokemon.

lets get back to this point once the dust settles after states, regionals and spring battle roads and see how Magneboar does.

The battle roads and cities data shows that getting energies from the discard pile is better than getting energy from your hand. Battle Roads showed Reshiplosion dominating while Cities showed Eel decks dominating. Getting energy from the discard pile means you can take advantage of supporters like Juniper, Sages Training, and Engineer's adjustments to get other badly needed cards.

Yes, but if they tech in Terrakion, that's a few spaces they aren't using for consistency cards. If magnezone takes 4 energy, how does that help eelzone? Also, you take 2 prizes, so it's two energy per prize, which is an excellent prize exchange.
iisnumber12: no one can read sarcasm, keep that in mind. The deck runs 3 twins because it is meant to fall behind.

As for the discussion, 1 heavy ball is the perfect amount. It won't replace communication or ultra ball, but it is a good clutch card.

pokemonjoe said:
As for the discussion, 1 heavy ball is the perfect amount. It won't replace communication or ultra ball, but it is a good clutch card.
Do you mean in EelZone? We are mostly talking about Magneboar, but you mentioned Ultra Ball so I thought you might be talking about EelZone.

I assume he meant in Magneboar, since it's terrible in Eelzone. Why would you run a card that only searches three other cards?

Celebi23 said:
I assume he meant in Magneboar, since it's terrible in Eelzone. Why would you run a card that only searches three other cards?

It's more unlikely to run Ultra Ball in Magneboar than Heavy Ball in EelZone.

alexmf2 said:
Why in the world would someone want to run Ultra Ball in Magneboar? I would never add more than 1.

because you don't need a pokemon, you can get any pokemon, and you get to lower your hand size.

iisnumber12 said:
because you don't need a pokemon, you can get any pokemon, and you get to lower your hand size.

Sometimes lowering your hand size isn't a very good thing... At the beginning of the game, Ultra Ball certainly isn't going to help you at all, it's just going to discard needed cards.

alexmf2 said:
Why in the world would someone want to run Ultra Ball in Magneboar? I would never add more than 1.
Because Ultra Ball is one of the best things Magnezone decks have gotten. It thins your hand of un-needed cards before a Magnetic Draw, it's great for consistency, it thins your hand before you search for the first Zone so you can get a big first Magnetic Draw. Why in the world wouldn't you want to run it? It's like not running Junk Arm.

Once again, you're being way too absolute about a card. Saying it will always discard needed cards early-game doesn't make sense. Nothing is absolute in Pokémon.

Celebi23 said:
Because Ultra Ball is one of the best things Magnezone decks have gotten. It thins your hand of un-needed cards before a Magnetic Draw, it's great for consistency, it thins your hand before you search for the first Zone so you can get a big first Magnetic Draw. Why in the world wouldn't you want to run it? It's like not running Junk Arm.

Once again, you're being way too absolute about a card. Saying it will always discard needed cards early-game doesn't make sense. Nothing is absolute in Pokémon.

In Magneboar, you need cards in your hand. It's amazing in EelZone because they can discard their energy, but with Magneboar at the beginning of the game you don't really want to discard anything. I can't think of any card I would want to discard. As I said, I would never run more than 1.

You discard extra Rare Candy and evolution lines you don't have to/want to play. These cards clog up your hand if you don't discard them. Usually Magnetic Draw is more important than saving that third Emboar/Magnezone.

alexmf2 said:
In Magneboar, you need cards in your hand. It's amazing in EelZone because they can discard their energy, but with Magneboar at the beginning of the game you don't really want to discard anything. As I said, I would never run more than 1.

I think it would help to have more than one because there is always stuff you don't want in your hand. If your hand is always that good, you could cut down on the search trainers and go for consistancy. So, I think that Ultra Ball is better beause it can controll what is in your hand and give you added draw.

Celebi23 said:
You discard extra Rare Candy and evolution lines you don't have to/want to play. These cards clog up your hand if you don't discard them. Usually Magnetic Draw is more important than saving that third Emboar/Magnezone.

There is no such thing as extra Rare Candy in Magneboar, if you draw into it, you should use it. Things are going to be ko'ing a Magnezone or Emboar almost once a turn, you need to get them up as fast as possible. Same thing with evolution lines.

What about when you can't use it? T_T You don't always have a basic to Rare Candy. After you get a couple Magnezones and an Emboar out, it's usually not a good idea to bench any more weak basics. They're free Catcher prizes. Especially in an EX format, you usually don't need more than two Magnezones plus a couple basic attackers. I could maybe see trying to set a second Emboar up, but it's too risky to bench weak basics. Usually I need 2 Rare Candy and a Junk Arm turned Rare Candy. Everything else can be Ultra Ball fodder.

Celebi23 said:
What about when you can't use it? T_T You don't always have a basic to Rare Candy. After you get a couple Magnezones and an Emboar out, it's usually not a good idea to bench any more weak basics. They're free Catcher prizes. Especially in an EX format, you usually don't need more than two Magnezones plus a couple basic attackers. I could maybe see trying to set a second Emboar up, but it's too risky to bench weak basics. Usually I need 2 Rare Candy and a Junk Arm turned Rare Candy. Everything else can be Ultra Ball fodder.

These are all good points. Also, Magnezone will notbe targeted by Mewtwo based decks since it has 140H Hp. You really only need one Magnezone (1 for backup depending on the matchup) and 1-2 Emboars (also depending on the match up

Celebi23 said:

When your playing anything but MTC, they can and will KO a Magnezone or an Emboar almost once a turn. If they Catcher up your basics, if anything it is just beneficial as you can get it back with Super Rod and you can KO one of their attackers with your already attacking Magnezone/Reshiram.

Your also already getting rid of your useless cards with Junk Arm. You don't have any others to spare.

alexmf2 said:
When your playing anything but MTC, they can and will KO a Magnezone or an Emboar almost once a turn. If they Catcher up your basics, if anything it is just beneficial as you can get it back with Super Rod and you can KO one of their attackers with your already attacking Magnezone/Reshiram.

Your also already getting rid of your useless cards with Junk Arm. You don't have any others to spare.

If they 1-hit your Magnezone and Emboar once a turn, then you will lose no matter what.
It is just impossible to keep building stage 2s to fight basics.

petertclo said:
If they 1-hit your Magnezone and Emboar once a turn, then you will lose no matter what.
It is just impossible to keep building stage 2s to fight basics.

Almost every turn, less and less as you start ko'ing them. Also, the cards that one shot it (Reshiram EX, Zekrom EX, other EX's) all give you two prizes when you ko them. The problem is keeping up with the ko's, if you manage that, you'll most likely win in the long run.

alexmf2 said:
Almost every turn, less and less as you start ko'ing them. Also, the cards that one shot it (Reshiram EX, Zekrom EX, other EX's) all give you two prizes when you ko them. The problem is keeping up with the ko's, if you manage that, you'll most likely win in the long run.

Always keep a spare Tepig down and you should win. Your high HP pokemon will usually win you the prize race. Just play ot smart and use super rod wisely

Back