XY What new Types would you like to see in X and Y?

If Pokémon was more like digimon, then it definitely would have a Light-type. Since it isn't, I don't see it happening, specially after Reshiram which was THE candidate for such thing (because of the whole Black and White thing with Zekrom and the concept of Yin Yang), but they didn't do it. Also, Togekiss would indeed be a good example of a Pokémon being Light-type, due to its angelic appearance, as it has been mentioned... Another one would be the Blissey line...

Another thing is, as complicated as triple types would be, it would make sense for some pokémon to be triple-typed. Mainly pokémon like Charizard, the Bug/Poison bugs that fly, Vibrava & Flygon, Hydreigon, Reshiram and Zekrom, etc. Sure, Levitate remedies that for some (Flygon, Hydreigon), but Reshiram and Zekrom clearly fly, yet they still have to get an Earthquake in the face because they don't have levitate...

And.... Ampharos LOL
It served as the source of light for a lighthouse!
AND THEY WERE ADDING NEW TYPES IN GEN 2.

If it didn't make sense to them at that point, then there surely is no reason for them to do that 5 generations later.

In other words, if they ever even remotely considered adding Light, they would have done so in GS.
But they didn't.

Metalizard said:
Another thing is, as complicated as triple types would be, it would make sense for some pokémon to be triple-typed. Mainly pokémon like Charizard, the Bug/Poison bugs that fly, Vibrava & Flygon, Hydreigon, Reshiram and Zekrom, etc. Sure, Levitate remedies that for some (Flygon, Hydreigon), but Reshiram and Zekrom clearly fly, yet they still have to get an Earthquake in the face because they don't have levitate...

This has been bothering me from the beginning :<

Ive come to understand the case for insect as being justified, by Bugs resistance to Ground. Because it can represent how they are still affected by ground moves and not fully airborne.
It also helps if you think of Ground-moves as not just earthquake, but also something that can be thrown.
So for example, although Beedrill has wings and flies a bit, you can still actually hit it in the face with Mud Shot etc.

But then came Flygon.
I just do not agree with Levitate there. Its a lame solution.
(Latias and Latios are fine on the other hand, as their wings are more like aerodynamic support shiz)

So I really wish theyd fix that, cause it just gets more obvious, especially when you got epic dragon mascots that can clearly fly as you mentioned.

A way they could fix it is if they took away the Flying types immunity to Ground, gave it a resistance instead (so things like Doduo would have the same logic as the Bug types), and then add a minor "stat" (like happiness, pokerus...) which gives each Pokemon a Ground immunity if they are considered airborne.

And then give Flygon Sandstream already.

I actually always thought it would make sense if all pokemon had a fifth move that could never be changed. For many, that would be a command to go airborne, like magnet rise. Others might be able to retract into their shell, retreat deeper into the ground/water or other things representing innate actions they shouldn't have to "learn." A lot of them would just have some weak, backup physical attack there, a bit better than struggle.

Mitja said:
And.... Ampharos LOL

If it didn't make sense to them at that point, then there surely is no reason for them to do that 5 generations later.

In other words, if they ever even remotely considered adding Light, they would have done so in GS.
But they didn't.

Metalizard said:

Ive come to understand the case for insect as being justified, by Bugs resistance to Ground. Because it can represent how they are still affected by ground moves and not fully airborne.
It also helps if you think of Ground-moves as not just earthquake, but also something that can be thrown.
So for example, although Beedrill has wings and flies a bit, you can still actually hit it in the face with Mud Shot etc.

But then came Flygon.
(Latias and Latios are fine on the other hand, as their wings are more like aerodynamic support shiz)

So I really wish theyd fix that, cause it just gets more obvious, especially when you got epic dragon mascots that can clearly fly as you mentioned.

A way they could fix it is if they took away the Flying types immunity to Ground, gave it a resistance instead (so things like Doduo would have the same logic as the Bug types), and then add a minor "stat" (like happiness, pokerus...) which gives each Pokemon a Ground immunity if they are considered airborne.

How about if they took the Pokebody idea from the TCG thing (I have no idea if they even still use it)

Basically, in addition to an Ability, every pokemon gets another that deals with things like pokemon that can fly but are not Flying types.

Levitate would become a Pokebody, allowing all of those pokemon that have it like Lati@s and Gengar to be have a "real ability" and access to a Dream World Ability as well.

There could be 17 of them, one for each type, to basically give the pokemon another type that it qualifies for (maybe even with STAB and resistances).

Mitja said:
And.... Ampharos LOL

But they didn't.

Metalizard said:

But then came Flygon.

Look we are not saying light is going to be a type. That is just used as an example. The point is that a new type could be easily introduce. Let me point out several reasons why fans think/want new types. Now I am choosing these two types because these are the most commonly ask for types with in the fan community. Light and Sound. Yveltal is being speculated as a sound type for 3 main reasons. 1) Looks to be based on a wyvern. A creature known in many existing games and media as well as myths to let out shrill screeches and sound. 2) The "Sound type" already exist within the game. Several pokemon are based around this it complete with moves and abilities. 3) The only pokemon to make a sound in the trailer (except Pikachu) And Xerneas as a light type. again 3 main reasons. 1) one of the most requested types within the fan-community. Whether you like it or not. 2) The colors on the antlers could represent the light spectrum. A perfect choice for the first light type legendary. 3) In the trailer it is surrounded by exaggerated light-shifts. These two are often coupled together. Light and sound. Sight and hearing. Visual and audio. To be introduced at once as opposing Pokemon games would make since. Their types have specifically called into question. Whilst this has be done before. This generation has been called an "evolution" of the franchise. It would be the perfect time to introduce to new types. Now lets clarify a little further. Light would be the manifestation of light. In other words pure light. And don't say will it couldn't do damage because it can. Ever try to look directly at the sun? It hurts. Sound can also deal damage. I know from experience. I almost went deaf because as a kid I would listen to my music to loud. Sound can deal damage. Ever have a loud noise go off next to your year it hurts. Now lets go even further. The type system isn't perfect and they can change it if they want to. They may have not added any new types since 2nd gen because they didn't need any more or want any more at that time. However all things change over time. Even the minds of the creators. I thing that it is stupid and arrogant to say that GF will never add new types. It is there game and they are going to do with it what ever they want. Also it is simple marketing a complain needs to change and take risk to out do their producers. For example look at Apple. Their stocks are starting to go down because they are not coming out with something completely new or original. iphone, iphone 4, iphone 5. And the only really differences is a few new features. Companies have to step up there games and take risk. Marketing 101. There will eventually be a new type added. Because GF will have to change the face of pokemon a bit. I am not interested in your bitching and moaning about how it doesn't make since or why GF shouldn't add new types. It is GF's product and they are going to do what they please with it. You know why because people are still going to buy it despite having a problem with new types.

frostwind said:
Mitja said:
And.... Ampharos LOL

But they didn't.

But then came Flygon.

How about if they took the Pokebody idea from the TCG thing (I have no idea if they even still use it)

Basically, in addition to an Ability, every pokemon gets another that deals with things like pokemon that can fly but are not Flying types.

Levitate would become a Pokebody, allowing all of those pokemon that have it like Lati@s and Gengar to be have a "real ability" and access to a Dream World Ability as well.

There could be 17 of them, one for each type, to basically give the pokemon another type that it qualifies for (maybe even with STAB and resistances).

The poke-bodies and poke-powers in the TCG are the same thing as the abilities.

So lets assume for the sake of argument that a Sound type is something they might do.

What type is Seismitoad then?

All the justifications you wrote, could be used just the same for Heat, Wind, Magnetic, types.
Which are all just as redundant in exactly the same ways.

frostwind said:

My knowledge of the TCG is pretty rusty admittedly, but aren't abilities pretty much like Poke Bodies anyway?

Mitja said:
So lets assume for the sake of argument that a Sound type is something they might do.

All the justifications you wrote, could be used just the same for Heat, Wind, Magnetic, types.

All I am really trying to say is that it doesn't matter to GF if we think they should or shouldn't add new types. It's their company and their going to do with it what ever they want. But looking at basic marketing they will more than likely add a new type eventually. Some types would either change, stay the same or tripe types would be added as well to the pokemon to balance things out.

Professer K said:
And Xerneas as a light type. again 3 main reasons. 1) one of the most requested types within the fan-community. Whether you like it or not.

That is in no way evidence for anything.

1) one of the most requested types within the fan-community. Whether you like it or not.

Every single fandom for every single thing in the world has popular requests for stupid, pointless things that creators probably roll their eyes at.

That only applies to the English-speaking and especially American fandom, anyway. In Japan, pokemon's primary audience, nobody seems to clamor for a light type at all. Psychic is already seen as a mystical "good" type; a majority of psychic pokemon have a "holy" sort of theme and esthetic.

Gardevoir, Mew, Chimecho, Cresselia, Sigilyph, Azelf and co, Medicham, Claydol, Latias/Latios, Bronzong, Darmanitan's psychic form, Meloetta, Espeon, Unown, actually almost all psychic types have themes of cosmic light, purity, discipline, order and mental strength.

In Eastern cultures, the counterpart to "darkness" and "evil" is the power of the mind. Heaven and "god" are associated with meditation, clairvoyance, intellect and emotional balance. Monks and psychics are seen as the opponents of malicious spirits and hellish forces.

PSYCHIC IS ALREADY THE "LIGHT" TYPE. There is no reason anyone should even want a more specific "good" type than that.

Bogleech said:
1) one of the most requested types within the fan-community. Whether you like it or not.

Every single fandom for every single thing in the world has popular requests for stupid, pointless things that creators probably roll their eyes at.

That only applies to the English-speaking and especially American fandom, anyway. In Japan, pokemon's primary audience, nobody seems to clamor for a light type at all. Psychic is already seen as a mystical "good" type; a majority of psychic pokemon have a "holy" sort of theme and esthetic.

Gardevoir, Mew, Chimecho, Cresselia, Sigilyph, Azelf and co, Medicham, Claydol, even Darmanitan's psychic form...in Eastern cultures the counterpart to "darkness" is considered mental. Buddhist monks, disciplined warriors, fortune-tellers and clairvoyants. Psychic IS the light type.

I am talking about the pure manifestation of light. I am not saying light is good and dark is bad because I didn't say that if I did it would have been in my post. Also psychic are all things dealing with the mind. telepathy and things like reading the future. It is not a manifestation of pure light. For example a lazar beam is pure light energy. There is no psychic powers used in it. Again I only used those two types as examples to show that it is possible for GF to add new types. Now it is true that these games originate in Japan so they would start off using things there. But the games are starting to focuses more world wide. So it is possible for them to use things and elements from other cultures around the world.

Actually a laser beam isn't "pure light energy," there's no such thing as "pure energy" or "light energy."

Light is a phenomenon in which our eyes pick up on electromagnetic radiation to form an image of our surroundings. It's just something caused by electricity or heat, not its own kind of energy or substance.

Light, electricity and magnetism are all expressions of the same forces, clearly the domain of Electric type, which already has pokemon based on being electrical, magnetic, emitting light or combinations of the three.

The only other kind of light known to man is the bio-luminescence produced by a chemical reaction in certain bacteria, which are what give fireflies, deep sea fish and certain fungi a natural glow.

Bogleech said:
Actually a laser beam isn't "pure light energy," there's no such thing as "pure energy" or "light energy."

Light is a phenomenon in which our eyes pick up on electromagnetic radiation to form an image of our surroundings. It's just something caused by electricity or heat, not its own kind of energy or substance.

Light, electricity and magnetism are all expressions of the same forces, clearly the domain of Electric type, which already has pokemon based on being electrical, magnetic, emitting light or combinations of the three.

The only other kind of light known to man is the bio-luminescence produced by a chemical reaction in certain bacteria, which are what give fireflies, deep sea fish and certain fungi a natural glow.

You are correct on how light is made. However Light could still be it's own type separate form electric. They have done this before. Look at water and ice. They are the same thing just different states of matter. Ice is frozen water. Nothing more. And here's another example that they did. Rock and Ground. The definition of ground is: The solid surface of the earth and for rock the solid mineral material forming part of the surface of the earth and other planets. So by your logic since light is covered by electric types there shouldn't be one. Ok so if there shouldn't be one because it is covered lets meld ice into water types and rock into ground types. The logic works the same way and is the same thing. So light can be a new type. The possibility is there.

Cinesra said:
Professer K said:
And Xerneas as a light type. again 3 main reasons. 1) one of the most requested types within the fan-community. Whether you like it or not.

That is in no way evidence for anything.

It may not be an evidence but many fans requested it and what do you think GF's going to do? Will they add new types? Will they lose fans if they didn't? Personally, I don't think GF will care about your (or anyone) issues with new types, they will do anything to satisfy old/new fans with new stuff in pokemon such as new types.

Ice-types need a boost/fix. They have piss-poor defenses and lots of weaknesses which is obviously not good.

Edit: YAY 100 posts :p

Bogleech said:

Gardevoir, Mew, Chimecho, Cresselia, Sigilyph, Azelf and co, Medicham, Claydol, Latias/Latios, Bronzong, Darmanitan's psychic form, Meloetta, Espeon, Unown, actually almost all psychic types have themes of cosmic light, purity, discipline, order and mental strength.

In Eastern cultures, the counterpart to "darkness" and "evil" is the power of the mind. Heaven and "god" are associated with meditation, clairvoyance, intellect and emotional balance. Monks and psychics are seen as the opponents of malicious spirits and hellish forces.

PSYCHIC IS ALREADY THE "LIGHT" TYPE. There is no reason anyone should even want a more specific "good" type than that.

That's funny. Did you meet all of the psychic-types? They all are good pokemon? I highly doubt it. Psychic-types represent the power of mind, not sure how it's related to light. Psychic-types also represents cosmic energy which does /not/ means light. It's a different energy.

....And all "dark" pokemon aren't "bad," they're just dark, in the sense of being sneaky, chaotic, and favoring the night.

I was talking about how people want a "light" type of all "good" pokemon and that's just silly. Psychic and fighting are already used to symbolize balanced and ordered pokemon, but that doesn't mean they're "good" any more than dark really means "bad." We don't need an all "good" type.

Professer K said:
Mitja said:

All I am really trying to say is that it doesn't matter to GF if we think they should or shouldn't add new types. It's their company and their going to do with it what ever they want. But looking at basic marketing they will more than likely add a new type eventually. Some types would either change, stay the same or tripe types would be added as well to the pokemon to balance things out.

There is no basic marketing reason demanding any such thing.

Sure they can add a plastic type, make pokemon a real-time-strategy game, have the plot based in the future with sci-fi spaceships...but they likely won't. They're far from desperate for new content, and doing very well with simply expanding the poke-universe at this pace.

Triple types would be a mess.

Professer K said:
They have done this before. Look at water and ice. They are the same thing just different states of matter. Ice is frozen water. Nothing more. And here's another example that they did. Rock and Ground. The definition of ground is: The solid surface of the earth and for rock the solid mineral material forming part of the surface of the earth and other planets. So by your logic since light is covered by electric types there shouldn't be one. Ok so if there shouldn't be one because it is covered lets meld ice into water types and rock into ground types. The logic works the same way and is the same thing. So light can be a new type. The possibility is there.

Ice is not about frozen Water. Its about cold.

Rock is about the organism itself (like Bug and Dragon), rather than the elemental aspect of earth, which is what Ground is about.

Light is produced by every fire and electric phenomenom. And the goodness/holiness is covered by Psychic mentally and Fighting physically.

Its much more redundant. than either of the examples.

Light is produced by every fire and electric phenomenom. And the goodness/holiness is covered by Psychic mentally and Fighting physically.

Its much more redundant. than either of the examples

It should also be noted that the move Flash, which is an attack that is pretty much the use of light, is mostly learned by Grass- (they absorb light after all), Psychic-, and Electric-types. Luster Purge, another light attack, is only learnable by a Psychic-type. Light-type really is the most redundant idea ever. At least Plastic-type isn't covered by anothing else LOL.

Aquapulse said:
Personally, I don't think GF will care about your (or anyone) issues with new types, they will do anything to satisfy old/new fans with new stuff in pokemon such as new types.

That's exactly my point. They don't care about your opinions on new types. They don't care that some fans want new types and they don't care that some fans don't. If Game Freak really wanted to add new types, they would have done so in the almost 4 generations since the last type change. They've managed to go almost 4 generations making money and releasing new content without coming up with another type and I don't see that changing any time soon. If Game Freak really cared that much about complaining fans we'd have gotten rid of HMs a long time ago, a dolphin Pokemon, walking Pokemon would've returned, and we'd have a game aimed at older fans with a decent story.

Back