XY What new Types would you like to see in X and Y?

Seriously???

Psychic and Fighting have nothing to do with holyness or goodness. Psychic is about the mind, magic and supernatural abilities like ESP, seeing the Future, stuff like that. Fighting is about physical strength and martial arts, basically, although its true there's also a bit of heroism in it (the ability Justified is an example). Still, there is Scraggy and Scrafty which are Dark/Fighting, and although there isn't any Dark/Psychic, Gothitelle could be the pokémon with such typing (I'm surprised it is just pure Psychic), and there's nothing that would make that combination unlogical. On the other side, if there were Light-type Pokémon (as in the sense of holyness/goodness), the chances of a dual Light/Dark pokémon are pratically none, kinda like Water/Fire or Fire/Ice.

Still, I don't expect them to introduce a Light-type anymore...
And Sound type is just ridiculous... There's Soundproof which blocks Sound-based moves and there are Sound-based moves of several types, although most are just normal-type. In theory, there could be a sound-based move of any type. Sound itself is not enough to make it a type...

What, why?

I don't see what the problem is with type combos like the one you mentioned.

Heck if there was a Light type, it would just be a question of time till they came up with a fitting concept for Dark/Light type.

The only combinations that are illogical are Type1/Normal.

Mitja said:
Sure they can add a plastic type, make pokemon a real-time-strategy game, have the plot based in the future with sci-fi spaceships...but they likely won't. They're far from desperate for new content, and doing very well with simply expanding the poke-universe at this pace.

Pokemon X Crimson Shroud. Plastic Type introduced.

Make it happen.

@Mitja: Well, sure, they could always come up with concepts for such combinations, but the truth is, they are very unlikely combinations. I mean, how would a Fire/Water pokémon be? Sure, there are Water pokémon that can use Fire attacks, and Emboar can learn Scald, but I'm talking about incorporating those elements on one pokémon to make it represent both types equally...

A salamander pokemon would make a perfect Fire/Water type combo.

Salamanders are symbols of fire, aka Charmander, Charmeleon, and Charizard but they are amphibians with a similar lie cycle to frogs which would probably be Water types. Quagisire is the closest we have to that. Basically, a salamander is an animal that is commonly associated with fire but spends most of its life cycle in water.

But the salamander associated with Fire is a myth, very different from the real salamander... iirc, the fire salamander was more compared to a reptile than an amphibian...

But the two ideas can be combined into one. It could be a regular Water type tadpole that is evolves via Fire Stone or something. It would be more interesting than Poliwrath at least.

Cinesra said:
Aquapulse said:
Personally, I don't think GF will care about your (or anyone) issues with new types, they will do anything to satisfy old/new fans with new stuff in pokemon such as new types.

That's exactly my point. They don't care about your opinions on new types. They don't care that some fans want new types and they don't care that some fans don't. If Game Freak really wanted to add new types, they would have done so in the almost 4 generations since the last type change. They've managed to go almost 4 generations making money and releasing new content without coming up with another type and I don't see that changing any time soon. If Game Freak really cared that much about complaining fans we'd have gotten rid of HMs a long time ago, a dolphin Pokemon, walking Pokemon would've returned, and we'd have a game aimed at older fans with a decent story.

The whole point of our (the people who want new types) argument was that it is possible for GF to add new types. It is GF choice if they want to or not and they don't care if we the fans agree with it or not. I have been trying to say that this whole time. The point is simple. The possibility is there although unlikely.

Mitja said:
Professer K said:
All I am really trying to say is that it doesn't matter to GF if we think they should or shouldn't add new types. It's their company and their going to do with it what ever they want. But looking at basic marketing they will more than likely add a new type eventually. Some types would either change, stay the same or tripe types would be added as well to the pokemon to balance things out.

There is no basic marketing reason demanding any such thing.

Sure they can add a plastic type, make pokemon a real-time-strategy game, have the plot based in the future with sci-fi spaceships...but they likely won't. They're far from desperate for new content, and doing very well with simply expanding the poke-universe at this pace.

Triple types would be a mess.

Professer K said:
They have done this before. Look at water and ice. They are the same thing just different states of matter. Ice is frozen water. Nothing more. And here's another example that they did. Rock and Ground. The definition of ground is: The solid surface of the earth and for rock the solid mineral material forming part of the surface of the earth and other planets. So by your logic since light is covered by electric types there shouldn't be one. Ok so if there shouldn't be one because it is covered lets meld ice into water types and rock into ground types. The logic works the same way and is the same thing. So light can be a new type. The possibility is there.

Ice is not about frozen Water. Its about cold.

Rock is about the organism itself (like Bug and Dragon), rather than the elemental aspect of earth, which is what Ground is about.

Light is produced by every fire and electric phenomenom. And the goodness/holiness is covered by Psychic mentally and Fighting physically.

Its much more redundant. than either of the examples.

Ice is frozen water and a rock is not an organism because it is not alive. Now if the ice type was all about being cold then that makes it even more useless as a type because you can have cold water with out it freezing. A rock is a part of the ground. The ground is made up of million's of different rocks.

"Ground" pokemon aren't necessarily made of rock, sand or soil, but things that live in or come from the ground. It's commonly paired with rock or steel, but isn't exactly the same.

Only some "ice" pokemon have ice as a physical part of them; many really are just cold-themed, although cold is just an absence of heat and not a "substance."

Metalizard said:
@Mitja: Well, sure, they could always come up with concepts for such combinations, but the truth is, they are very unlikely combinations. I mean, how would a Fire/Water pokémon be? Sure, there are Water pokémon that can use Fire attacks, and Emboar can learn Scald, but I'm talking about incorporating those elements on one pokémon to make it represent both types equally...

There's such a thing as underwater volcanoes. Notably "black smokers" or "hydrothermal vents" which pour boiling, deadly sulfur into the water. They actually host higher concentrations of life than almost any other environment on earth, home to many unique creatures who thrive only near the searing hot, poisonous waters around a black smoker.

Deepseamining_Rachelbarratt_oct2011_4.jpg

Giant hydrothermal tube-worms are the most famous inhabitants of underwater volcanoes; they grow in place like trees, up to ten feet tall!

These and many other species use the extreme heat of these volcanoes to grow bacteria in or on their bodies, which are all that sustain them. Any animal not adapted like them would be cooked to death instantly!

I think I'm in that weird part of PB again. Uh... *backspace backspace backspace*
Are we seriously arguing over technicality of types?

Metalizard said:

Why is Fire & Water impossible?
Wouldn't Ice and Grass be too by that logic? Abomasnow
Or Ground and Flying? Gliscor/Landorus
Or Water and Electric? Lanturn/Rotom
Or Ground and Electric? Stunfisk
Or Dragon and Ice? Kyurem

100_asterupt_by_saiph_charon-d335fi8.png

tumblr_majtxx8hCd1rw7u8ro1_500.jpg

contest__fire_and_water_fakemon_by_sirwallacetheariados-d4kdtrd.jpg

tumblr_majsfeTb9U1rw7u8ro1_500.png

Professer K said:
Ice is frozen water and a rock is not an organism because it is not alive. Now if the ice type was all about being cold then that makes it even more useless as a type because you can have cold water with out it freezing. A rock is a part of the ground. The ground is made up of million's of different rocks.

You can have cold water without it freezing? What does that have to do with anything?

Rock is not part of ground, its distinguishing aspect is exactly the fact that rock is detached.

Rock pokemon are alive. And they are mineral-based or rock-covered, whereas Ground pokemon are neither.

Mitja said:
Metalizard said:

I, too, agree with him on Fire/Water (Or Water/Fire) Nothing's impossible. There are few that can implied Fire/Water but I think it's a little hard to design as a pokemon. I can only think of one right now, fire coral. Mitja did provide a lot of examples for that type too. Like I said earlier, nothing's impossible.

It could be something as simple as
-ANY ANIMAL with 2 cannons, one shooting water the other fire
-just a creature with 2 elemental halves
-a creature that has visual features of TYPE1 and is thematically related to TYPE2

Heres another great example:

fire_hydrant_pokemon_by_sirashton-d5ekcsk.png

Fire/Water isn't impossible. Same goes for Fire/Grass. A friend of mine came up with ideas for a transparent squid with an inner flame and a (kinda unoriginal) fire rose.
In fact, nearly every type combo is possible. All it needs is a bit lf imagination.

Fire Water would be possible, as well as most other type combinations dealing with such due to the fact they made a fire bug type called Volcarona as well as the prevolution of it, Larvesta. Also Mitja, do try not count formes for examples towards dual types, without the name of the forme as well. It would be counting Rotom, when the forme is Wash Rotom. People who join and are, well, not thinking will argue about it. Also by the logic that one guy had about Fire Water, would be also saying means Lucario wouldn't be possible, and that Medicham wouldn't be possible.There is a lot of dual typing that happens, where by his/her logic wouldn't make sense.

Mitja said:
Metalizard said:

100_asterupt_by_saiph_charon-d335fi8.png

tumblr_majtxx8hCd1rw7u8ro1_500.jpg

contest__fire_and_water_fakemon_by_sirwallacetheariados-d4kdtrd.jpg

tumblr_majsfeTb9U1rw7u8ro1_500.png

Professer K said:

You can have cold water without it freezing? What does that have to do with anything?

Rock is not part of ground, its distinguishing aspect is exactly the fact that rock is detached.

Rock pokemon are alive. And they are mineral-based or rock-covered, whereas Ground pokemon are neither.

You said and I quote:
Mitja said:
so by what you are saying ice types are only about being cold. The point I was trying to make was to bogleech. Saying that just because light is made up of magnetic waves it could be classified as it's own type instead of being classified under eclectic types. The reason why I said that is because water and ice are made up of the same elements/adams the only difference between the two is there states of matter. So they could be put under the same type. Now lets look back at ground/rock. They could be put under the same types because they are basically/so close to be the same thing. So what I am saying is if the reasoning for not making/ wanting a light type based off of that electric "covers" it do to the fact of the magnetic waves and are to "close" together. Then you might as well be saying that ice and water should be under the same type because they are to close together and same thing with rock and ground. Also the light type I am talking about is light it's self. Not the notion of good/justice or the notion of enlightenment of the mind in things like Buddhism or things about the cosmos. For things like the enlightenment of the mind and for the cosmos psychic covers that.

Professer K said:
Mitja said:

You said and I quote:
Mitja said:
so by what you are saying ice types are only about being cold. The point I was trying to make was to bogleech. Saying that just because light is made up of magnetic waves it could be classified as it's own type instead of being classified under eclectic types. The reason why I said that is because water and ice are made up of the same elements/adams the only difference between the two is there states of matter. So they could be put under the same type. Now lets look back at ground/rock. They could be put under the same types because they are basically/so close to be the same thing. So what I am saying is if the reasoning for not making/ wanting a light type based off of that electric "covers" it do to the fact of the magnetic waves and are to "close" together. Then you might as well be saying that ice and water should be under the same type because they are to close together and same thing with rock and ground.

The sentence didn't make any sense. Ice is not about frozen water, just the frozen part. Do you understand that water isn't the only thing that can freeze?

Ice and Water as types are not made of the same because one is a specific molecule, the other is about low temperature.

So best just leave those two out of the argument, because you're not getting anywhere there.
Lets focus on Rock/Ground.

You don't get "ground" (or earth or soil) out of rocks. Its made of several things including air, water, metals and organic stuff.
Along with that, Ground is also a concept. The concept of surface, the opposite of being airborne.

Light is just electromagnetic waves... but Electric is already about electromagnetic phenomena.

How would a Light Pokemons design differ from an Electric one?

Would Lanturn be Electric or Light? And why?

Seriously... When the hell did I say that Fire/Water is an impossible combination? I just said it is an unlikely combination...
You guys are coming with type matchups, and I'm not refering to that...
I have no problem with any of the examples of type combinations that were given. But most of them are also kinda unique...
I'm not saying that just because one type is weak to another, it can't be combined with the other type. If I was saying that, then Dragon and Ghost types would be existential paradoxes because they are weak to themselves... That's not my point... I'd like to see a Fire/Water too... But if that is so easy to come up with, why didn't they make one already?
Imagine this: A fire/water pokémon goes underwater and tries to use Flamethrower... I'd like see how that would come out...

Also, I'm well aware of underwater volcanoes and the species that live around them... But it's still hot water (like Scald) and the heat is provided by the said volcanoes which are connected to the Earth's core...

I've read that it's possible to have a flame underwater but it will not flow freely like if it was in contact with air...

It doesnt have to be capable of using Flamethrower underwater either.. It doesnt even have to be aquatic for that matter.

Back