XY What new Types would you like to see in X and Y?

Wood is a plant tissue. There is no reason whatsoever to have it in addition to grass. It's like saying there should be a "beetle" type in addition to "bug."

The word "bug", like the word "grass," refers to a highly specific groups. The only pokemon based on literal bugs are the nincada, surskit and paras lines, while NO grass pokemon, to my knowledge, are based on species that are considered grass.

Who cares? They're just names. Grass represents all plant life and even extends to fungi (technically closer to animals), bug represents all arthropods and even extends to some mollusks (about as close to arthropods as pigeons are to worms)

I don't really have any issues with new types (Unless they somehow influence my favorite type; Water). If they're /not/ introducing new types in this generation, that's fine with me, really. However, I'm sure they have plans with generation VII and so on, don't you think it will get boring every time they introduce a new generation because we all have experienced with different type and combinations?

Okay, honestly, I'm tired of seeing this whole big fit about no new types, if you guys don't want any new types, go someplace else, because to be honest, if you guys keep posting it won't matter, because GF probably won't see your complaints, and even then there's strong reasons why a Sound and Light type could be introduced, and I didn't suggest at all towards either one, I used them as an example of what they COULD do, not suggesting they DO put them in the game. At that, Generation Six, has two pokemon that could easily fit new types already shown in the trailer which would be Legendary Y being Sound, and Legendary X being Light, which is possible. There's also a fact that they may not do this, but introduce triple types or such. It's all speculation and we really have no control over what may happen. So really, even your end is speculation till we get more info. I would enjoy if you guys had fun with thinking up new types, other then dissing them, because in till we get more info, we won't know about new types, how many new pokemon there will be, the Regions name, the actual story behind the main male and female, if Cynthia is in it, if Black might be able to be battled with in gen Six, and much more that's possible. I personally saw a good argument of Sound and Light being added in, however I still don't push for either one yet.

Pokemon Trainer Dark said:
Okay, honestly, I'm tired of seeing this whole big fit about no new types, if you guys don't want any new types, go someplace else, because to be honest, if you guys keep posting it won't matter, because GF probably won't see your complaints, and even then there's strong reasons why a Sound and Light type could be introduced, and I didn't suggest at all towards either one, I used them as an example of what they COULD do, not suggesting they DO put them in the game. At that, Generation Six, has two pokemon that could easily fit new types already shown in the trailer which would be Legendary Y being Sound, and Legendary X being Light, which is possible. There's also a fact that they may not do this, but introduce triple types or such. It's all speculation and we really have no control over what may happen. So really, even your end is speculation till we get more info. I would enjoy if you guys had fun with thinking up new types, other then dissing them, because in till we get more info, we won't know about new types, how many new pokemon there will be, the Regions name, the actual story behind the main male and female, if Cynthia is in it, if Black might be able to be battled with in gen Six, and much more that's possible. I personally saw a good argument of Sound and Light being added in, however I still don't push for either one yet.

I do agree with what you are saying. Besides at the end of the day IF GF did introduce new types, you would still buy the games anyway. Same thing happened with BW2 when people were complaining about Kyurem fussing with Zekrom and Reshiram to make Black and White Kyurem. You are still going to buy the games. Speculating is just something that is suppose to be fun and creative nothing more.

Okay, honestly, I'm tired of seeing this whole big fit about no new types, if you guys don't want any new types, go someplace else, because to be honest, if you guys keep posting it won't matter, because GF probably won't see your complaints, and even then there's strong reasons why a Sound and Light type could be introduced

The reason so many people are saying that there won't be any new types is because they understand how silly it would be to add any more types. We aren't "complaining" in order to get attention rom GameFreak. I assure you, they don't need to be convinced into not adding types. Similarly, GameFreak isn't going to just take your suggestions for new types either. Ever since Gen 2 added Dark-type fan have been raving about adding a Light-type. They've heard it all before and they aren't going to just change their minds. Can you please explain your strong reasons for your Sound and Light theories? And don't say that Dark-types need a Light-type because good vs evil or whatever. Dark =/= bad. Dark-types are not evil. They may represent thievery, stealth, shadow, darkness, night, or trickery, but they are not evil. They don't need a Light type as an opposite. They actually have an opposite. The Fighting-type represents honor, heroism, bravery, skill, patience. Dark-type (villain) is the opposite of Fighting-type (hero). (Note how Dark is weak to Fighting) That is how it is intended by GameFreak in Japan, even if it translated into something less clear.

There's also a fact that they may not do this, but introduce triple types or such.
Ugh that's an even worse idea made up by people who are butthurt about Chariard not being a dragon. Let's make everything have three types so it can be killed by even more moves. Omg in addition to triple-typed Pokemon, let's just have moves with two types also!! The newly Water/Ice/Dragon type Milotic can now use the Dragon/Ice type Draco-Icy-Gale attack (double STAB) that hits Dragonite for 16x damage!
Haha but all jokes aside, don't get upset that we are just having some good discussion. :]

I think they should just focus on the type combinations they haven't used yet. At most they could rework the types they have by making poison better at the something besides grass and dragon type moves being weak to ice types

It's probably just too late in the game to add new types with nearly 650 pokemon, who most likely wouldn't see these types at all. Magnemite was the one exception.

Personally, I do like discussing and thinking about new types they could add, but it probably just won't happen.

safariblade said:
Okay, honestly, I'm tired of seeing this whole big fit about no new types, if you guys don't want any new types, go someplace else, because to be honest, if you guys keep posting it won't matter, because GF probably won't see your complaints, and even then there's strong reasons why a Sound and Light type could be introduced

The reason so many people are saying that there won't be any new types is because they understand how silly it would be to add any more types. We aren't "complaining" in order to get attention rom GameFreak. I assure you, they don't need to be convinced into not adding types. Similarly, GameFreak isn't going to just take your suggestions for new types either. Ever since Gen 2 added Dark-type fan have been raving about adding a Light-type. They've heard it all before and they aren't going to just change their minds. Can you please explain your strong reasons for your Sound and Light theories? And don't say that Dark-types need a Light-type because good vs evil or whatever. Dark =/= bad. Dark-types are not evil. They may represent thievery, stealth, shadow, darkness, night, or trickery, but they are not evil. They don't need a Light type as an opposite. They actually have an opposite. The Fighting-type represents honor, heroism, bravery, skill, patience. Dark-type (villain) is the opposite of Fighting-type (hero). (Note how Dark is weak to Fighting) That is how it is intended by GameFreak in Japan, even if it translated into something less clear.

There's also a fact that they may not do this, but introduce triple types or such.
Ugh that's an even worse idea made up by people who are butthurt about Chariard not being a dragon. Let's make everything have three types so it can be killed by even more moves. Omg in addition to triple-typed Pokemon, let's just have moves with two types also!! The newly Water/Ice/Dragon type Milotic can now use the Dragon/Ice type Draco-Icy-Gale attack (double STAB) that hits Dragonite for 16x damage!
Haha but all jokes aside, don't get upset that we are just having some good discussion. :]

Here is something to think about: eventually they will have to add a new type because they will eventually use ever type combination in the book. They will have to add something to change it up or else it will be just more of the same old think and will get old fast like Call of Duty. I am sure GF realizes this. If they don't add something eventually they will lose more fan base than they would if they added new types. And the argument for sound and light type I am not getting into right now. People are just saying that is something that would be interesting to see. That is the purpose of this thread to talk about possible new types not argue about if GF should add them or not. Again GF doesn't care what we think as long as people are buying it. If they put in new types people will still buy it. End of discussion people will buy the games. I think if people are just going to be shallow minded about new types and are just going to argue why there shouldn't be new types, then don't post or read this thread. So lets agree to disagree. PS. I also run a pokemon league and a good majority of people there said that they wouldn't mind seeing a new type. It won't ruin the game if there is a new type or two anyway.

Professer K said:
safariblade said:

Here is something to think about: eventually they will have to add a new type because they will eventually use ever type combination in the book. They will have to add something to change it up or else it will be just more of the same old think and will get old fast like Call of Duty. I am sure GF realizes this. If they don't add something eventually they will lose more fan base than they would if they added new types. And the argument for sound and light type I am not getting into right now. People are just saying that is something that would be interesting to see. That is the purpose of this thread to talk about possible new types not argue about if GF should add them or not. Again GF doesn't care what we think as long as people are buying it. If they put in new types people will still buy it. End of discussion people will buy the games. I think if people are just going to be shallow minded about new types and are just going to argue why there shouldn't be new types, then don't post or read this thread.
Nope, that's not true either. There are exactly 289 different type combinations. And we are about to have 3 times that amount of Pokemon. Why? Because GameFreak really doesn't care if they use them all. Every Generation the starters are Fire/Water/Grass. You said if they don't change it up we will have the same old thing. Well we do. Pokemon is FULL of the 'same old thing' - and you're still playing it. Why? Because that's what's so cool about Pokemon. Out of 17 types and about 100 new pokemon every couple of years, we stay entertained. Heck, we have THREE fire starters that end up as Fire/Fighting and yet all three are still completely independent Pokemon with interesting and original designs. No matter how many Dragon/Flying types they make, Dragonite, Salamence, Altaria & Rayquaza are still going to be awesome and unique, as are any new ones, I'm sure. GameFreak doesn't HAVE to add a new type when they run out of combinations, because they don't HAVE to run out of ideas. And they won't, I promise you.

safariblade said:
Professer K said:
Here is something to think about: eventually they will have to add a new type because they will eventually use ever type combination in the book. They will have to add something to change it up or else it will be just more of the same old think and will get old fast like Call of Duty. I am sure GF realizes this. If they don't add something eventually they will lose more fan base than they would if they added new types. And the argument for sound and light type I am not getting into right now. People are just saying that is something that would be interesting to see. That is the purpose of this thread to talk about possible new types not argue about if GF should add them or not. Again GF doesn't care what we think as long as people are buying it. If they put in new types people will still buy it. End of discussion people will buy the games. I think if people are just going to be shallow minded about new types and are just going to argue why there shouldn't be new types, then don't post or read this thread.
Nope, that's not true either. There are exactly 289 different type combinations. And we are about to have 3 times that amount of Pokemon. Why? Because GameFreak really doesn't care if they use them all. Every Generation the starters are Fire/Water/Grass. You said if they don't change it up we will have the same old thing. Well we do. Pokemon is FULL of the 'same old thing' - and you're still playing it. Why? Because that's what's so cool about Pokemon. Out of 17 types and about 100 new pokemon every couple of years, we stay entertained. Heck, we have THREE fire starters that end up as Fire/Fighting and yet all three are still completely independent Pokemon with interesting and original designs. No matter how many Dragon/Flying types they make, Dragonite, Salamence, Altaria & Rayquaza are still going to be awesome and unique, as are any new ones, I'm sure. GameFreak doesn't HAVE to add a new type when they run out of combinations, because they don't HAVE to run out of ideas. And they won't, I promise you.

Ok you have a small point. But I was talking on a scale of about 15 years from now when they have about 10 generations. The point is that certain aspects get old. why do you think that people don't want the mascot legendries to be just dragons? or for the fire starter types final evolution to be a fire fighting? Because certain concepts get old after a certain a mount of time. The reason why pokemon has lasted over 15 years is because GF has changed things up. I think GF is smart enough to realize that sooner or later new types will need to implemented. Look at Call of Duty. The last game that was released sold well. yes. However every person I have talked to that owns that game says the same thing. "It is just more of the same old thing with a few new guns and features". GF will add a new type sooner or later and when they do the first thing I am doing is going to post it on here and laugh my but off. The point is that it will eventually happen. Just like the move from 2D sprites to 3D models. I know that they were going to do that since pokemon coliseum. I new it was going to happen just am matter of time. Same thing apples here. Why not have new types? It doesn't mess up the typing's or competitive play that much when they already have to change so much for new items and type combos as well as so much more. "It's an unnecessary hassle or to big of a hassle for GF". Which is a load of crap because they have changed sprites 2 and even 3 times through out a generation. All this is, is that people don't want to see this game change because they are scared it will turn out bad. But that's how game franchises stay alive just like companies by taking chances.

Yeah I don't see why it'd matter if they used every possible type combo; pokemon are more than that anyway. They're also designs, concepts, movesets and abilities. Who cares if they reach a point where there's no new type combinations?

wtf.

If it really went sooo long that they could not use a combination that people would point at and say "oooh we've seen that before" (which won't happen in the next 10 generations at least (lol), especially with how gamefreak saves tons of exotic ones and merely slowly and rarely uses them)...
I seriously doubt they would then add a Light type and call it a day.

What they would do then instead would probably be like a reboot from 0, picking all types again, perhaps getting rid of ones that are more about species than element, and then add wind instead of flying etcetc...

light and sound? I don't even see those doing harm. Every attack causes sound and all energetic attacks involve light, because these are so normal and general... just like theres many attacks that you could say are wind-based but they have obvious other type priority choices.

And lets assume for the sake of argument that they introduce light types.
Would you take away Lanturns Electric type to make it light? How would you distinguish which is more appropriate anyway?
Or what about Chandelure? Its clearly a ghost pokemon and it clearly has flames. But as the only pokemon currently actually based on lamps...would Fire get replaced by Light?

Then theres Volbeat/Illumise, and Ampharos (Electric/Light I guess? lol), but that's about it.Why would any other pokemon be light, and why would it not be just as easily fitting to make it an Electric or Fire type instead?

Mitja said:
wtf.

If it really went sooo long that they could not use a combination that people would point at and say "oooh we've seen that before" (which won't happen in the next 10 generations at least (lol), especially with how gamefreak saves tons of exotic ones and merely slowly and rarely uses them)...

What they would do then instead would probably be like a reboot from 0, picking all types again, perhaps getting rid of ones that are more about species than element, and then add wind instead of flying etcetc...

light and sound? I don't even see those doing harm. Every attack causes sound and all energetic attacks involve light, because these are so normal and general... just like theres many attacks that you could say are wind-based but they have obvious other type priority choices.

Would you take away Lanturns Electric type to make it light? How would you distinguish which is more appropriate anyway?
Or what about Chandelure? Its clearly a ghost pokemon and it clearly has flames. But as the only pokemon currently actually based on lamps...would Fire get replaced by Light?

Then theres Volbeat/Illumise, and Ampharos (Electric/Light I guess? lol), but that's about it.Why would any other pokemon be light, and why would it not be just as easily fitting to make it an Electric or Fire type instead?

Okay if you want to know why Light would fit as a type here's the thing. Fire and Electric types don't exactly mean Light. Sure they create it, but they mean burning things or electrocuting them. Light would be, like most are arguing with Fighting about, a counter part to Dark type. However it's not as you would imagine. Dark and Light would be weak against each other. Dark's as we've seen, the more Dirty fighting tactics, while Light would be nothing but fair fighting. Moves that would heal statuses then deal damage would be what Light types do, and if anyone wants to say Fighting type, that doesn't mean they Have to be good. Fighting is more so to be close to Martial Arts Styles then being Heroic, even if it's called Hero in Japan. Anti Hero's, Vigilantes, and so many other things go into being called a "Hero." Sure the pokemon most of the time are seen as heroic pokemon, but hardly any have to be. Also for Fire and Electric, they have no moves dealing with light. There are only four moves off the top of my head, and I know the fire and Electric moves right now. Flash, Luster Purge, Moonlight, and Morning Sun. Three of which are Normal Type, the last Psychic.

Edit:Some bad spelling and Grammar after proof reading, being tired does this to you.

Mitja said:
wtf.

If you want to be technical BW was the reboot for the series. Unova aka the new Kanto. Why do you think in Best Wishes they set Ash back to age ten and make him a complete noob. He even makes the same mistakes as he did in season one. he even throws a pokeball with out weakening a pokemon. Now if you look at things that way and see gen six as the new Jhoto then it makes sense as to why there could be new types. The new types could be anything light, sound or something else. It doesn't matter if we think it makes sense or not. It is what GF wants to do with it and if they want new types there will be new types. And you know what people are still going to buy the games even the people against new types. Same thing in the other direction.

Light is just such a lame idea, I don't understand why anybody wants it.

Taken literally as light energy, that's already electric's territory.

Taken to mean light as in, uh, "goodness" or something, that's A) one of the most boring, cringeworthy fantasy cliche's and B) already covered by fairy-like/angelic psychic types and heroic fighting types.

Fighting is also already the OFFICIAL opposite to dark type. They are called "hero" and "evil" in Japan.

As for sound type; sound is a very very intangible thing. An action, really. Flying is already almost always paired with something because it only represents the fact that the pokemon is off the ground, rather than what the pokemon is made of (hence normal being the minimum base for a flying type)...I imagine sound would have to go the same way, but sound-themed attacks can already be found in many other types, why should it need its own? It'd be like making a type called "biting" or "beams."

I'd just like to point out that while I agree that Fighting types are the opposition to Dark types (and thus we won't be getting a Light-type), I've never seen evidence that they are called "Hero" types in Japanese. Yes, Dark is "Evil" in Japanese, but to the best of my knowledge, Fighting still just translates to "Fighting."

Professer K said:
If you want to be technical BW was the reboot for the series. Unova aka the new Kanto. Why do you think in Best Wishes they set Ash back to age ten and make him a complete noob. He even makes the same mistakes as he did in season one. he even throws a pokeball with out weakening a pokemon. Now if you look at things that way and see gen six as the new Jhoto then it makes sense as to why there could be new types. The new types could be anything light, sound or something else. It doesn't matter if we think it makes sense or not. It is what GF wants to do with it and if they want new types there will be new types. And you know what people are still going to buy the games even the people against new types. Same thing in the other direction.

"The" reboot. Sure.

We've had two so far, 5th gen was the second one, and 3rd gen was the first. It can happen again if they really want to do so, but I don't think it should anytime soon, it gets really annoying having to start from square one every other gen.

Back