XY What Type might Sylveon be?

RE: What Type might Ninfia (Sylveon) be???

Well, it seems to me it's a pretty obvious flying type. Look at the name.
Sylveon.

Take off the eeveelution ending and we get:

Sylv.

Sylph.

A Sylph, is western mythology, is an air spirit. There you go.

RE: What type is Ninfia???

Mitja said:
AlexanderTheAwesome said:
maybe they'll make it so all you have to do is level up to evolve eevee

That's like the only thing we can actually 100% safely assume that it won't happen.

gen IV they went out of their way and introduced required-move-evolutions for the sake of not completely throwing consistency out the window. I doubt they'll stop now.

It would be by learning Swift at least, but Im inclined to a new method...probably involving whatever that new game mechanic bonding is they keep referring to.

Have you considered it may /not/ be Swift? Granted, it's very similar to the Swift move but then again, they can introduce a new move which is similar to Swift. After all, we're still in the dark about the new pokemon game, in other words, anything's possible.

Anything is possible but not everything is equally likely. I think its pretty easy to infer most of the moves shown like Swift and Trump Card.

RE: What type is Ninfia???

Aquapulse said:
Mitja said:
That's like the only thing we can actually 100% safely assume that it won't happen.

gen IV they went out of their way and introduced required-move-evolutions for the sake of not completely throwing consistency out the window. I doubt they'll stop now.

It would be by learning Swift at least, but Im inclined to a new method...probably involving whatever that new game mechanic bonding is they keep referring to.

Have you considered it may /not/ be Swift? Granted, it's very similar to the Swift move but then again, they can introduce a new move which is similar to Swift. After all, we're still in the dark about the new pokemon game, in other words, anything's possible.

Where was I showing certainty? I just wanted to make the point that they don't add level up evolutions in later generations. Swift was just an example that came to my mind of what has a non 0 chance of being the trigger in comparison.

Puff-Sun said:
Sylveon.

Sylv.

Sylph.

There we go! I think you're absolutely correct.

spirit eh? Ghost type confirmed /sarcasm

Puff-Sun said:
Sylveon.

Sylv.

Sylph.

I still don't understand how people can think that Sylv=Sylph. I think Sylvan makes much more sense as it goes along with the other language names.(Fee and nymph)

scuba steveE said:
Puff-Sun said:
Sylveon.

Sylv.

Sylph.

I still don't understand how people can think that Sylv=Sylph. I think Sylvan makes much more sense as it goes along with the other language names.(Fee and nymph)

Well I mean, phonetically the v and ph sounds are both labiodental fricatives, just one is voiced and the other unvoiced, so that connection makes sense. It really could be sylph or sylvan, I guess.

Also, don't fairy and nymph go along with sylph as well?

RE: What Type might Ninfia (Sylveon) be??

scuba steveE said:

I think sylph even makes more sense as name origin than sylvan. Wiktionary defines sylph as "An invisible being of the air" and considers the word actually being a composite of sylva (Latin for forest) and nympha.

IMO sylph would very well get along with Japanese "ニュンペー" (nymph), French "Nymphe" and German "Fee" (fairy), as all of them describe an airworthy, rather female looking creature derived from Western/European mythology.

This in turn would also support a pure Flying type: Considering previous Generations, the presence of wings or the ability to fly has never been enough to justify a primary Flying type. The only real primary Flying type, Tornadus (which doesn't have wings in it's Incarnate Forme by the way), is based on Fūjin, the Shinto deity of wind, so an elemental being of the air from Japanese mythology.
Thus makes me think that basing a Pokemon on a elemental being of the air from Western/European mythology might justify another pure Flying type.

jynxed said:
scuba steveE said:

Well I mean, phonetically the v and ph sounds are both labiodental fricatives, just one is voiced and the other unvoiced, so that connection makes sense. It really could be sylph or sylvan, I guess.

That's a really really big stretch and it still doesn't make sense, because ph is voiced with a f sound. The only instance in the English language that I can think of where "ph" is pronounced with a "v" sound is in the Stephen(which ironically is my name), when actually isn't suppose to be pronounced with a v sound. If you want to know why, you can google it, I really don't feel like explaining, it would take a while. It phonetically and grammatically doesn't make sense.
Fennex said:
scuba steveE said:

I think sylph even makes more sense as name origin than sylvan. Wiktionary defines sylph as "An invisible being of the air" and considers the word actually being a composite of sylva (Latin for forest) and nympha.

IMO sylph would very well get along with Japanese "ニュンペー" (nymph), French "Nymphe" and German "Fee" (fairy), as all of them describe an airworthy, rather female looking creature derived from Western/European mythology.

This in turn would also support a pure Flying type: Considering previous Generations, the presence of wings or the ability to fly has never been enough to justify a primary Flying type. The only real primary Flying type, Tornadus (which doesn't have wings in it's Incarnate Forme by the way), is based on Fūjin, the Shinto deity of wind, so an elemental being of the air from Japanese mythology.
Thus makes me think that basing a Pokemon on a elemental being of the air from Western/European mythology might justify another pure Flying type.
This would actually makes sense, if it was called Sylpheon or Sylfeon. Sylvan can mean a deity, fairy, or life form that lives in nature. It's also a perfect match with spelling: Sylveon and Sylvan. While fairy is pretty ambiguous, nymph's are also nature deities. So, as far as we know, we could have a nature theme going on here. (Though that doesn't really help with what type it is)

12.png

scuba steveE said:
jynxed said:

That's a really really big stretch and it still doesn't make sense, because ph is voiced with a f sound. The only instance in the English language that I can think of where "ph" is pronounced with a "v" sound is in the Stephen(which ironically is my name), when actually isn't suppose to be pronounced with a v sound. If you want to know why, you can google it, I really don't feel like explaining, it would take a while. It phonetically and grammatically doesn't make sense.

What? Phonetically it does make sense. A lot of times voiced consonants get devoiced when they're at the end of a word. It doesn't happen a ton in English, but it does in things like "I have to go" when said quickly since it's followed by another devoiced consonant "t." I'm just saying that the difference between a v sounds and an f sound is very very very minimal.

jynxed said:
scuba steveE said:

What? Phonetically it does make sense. A lot of times voiced consonants get devoiced when they're at the end of a word. It doesn't happen a ton in English, but it does in things like "I have to go" when said quickly since it's followed by another devoiced consonant "t." I'm just saying that the difference between a v sounds and an f sound is very very very minimal.

They may be similar, but IMO, having Ninfia be Sylveon instead of Sylpheon or Sylfeon is kind of a stretch, as the meaning of the word "Sylph" gets lost.
I know I was confused as to the meaning, when I first saw Sylveon!

My vote goes to that Sylveon will be a completely new type.

Why you may ask? Let me elaborate.

The color schemes on each eeveelution are based on the colors the types are indicated with.

Yellow (Jolteon/Electric type)
Orange (Flareon/Fire type)
Blue (Vaporeon/Water type)
Pink (Espeon/Psychic type)
Black (Umbreon/Dark type)
Green (Leafeon/Grass type)
Light blue (Glaceon/Ice type)

When I look at Sylveon's color scheme, non of them matches the colors designated to the currently existing types, so I'm pretty sure Sylveon is a completely new type.

Does anyone notice something strange about the previously released Sylveon map? The type of the eeveelution on the left is directly across the type it weak against on the right. Jolteon is across from Slyveon, so... Slyveon is flying, it doesn't look like a ground or rock type.

img_2_2.jpg

Re: What Type might Ninfia (Sylveon) be??

Actually, they're in Pokedex order in rows by Generation.

And sir with the color schemes! Yes, you! Look at Dragon!

The more you know, the less you say "Half-Life 3 Confirmed!"

I really just want it to be a flying type or dragon. or... what if it's both!!! nah... That'd never happen with eevee's.

Suitcune said:
Does anyone notice something strange about the previously released Sylveon map? The type of the eeveelution on the left is directly across the type it weak against on the right. Jolteon is across from Slyveon, so... Slyveon is flying, it doesn't look like a ground or rock type.

img_2_2.jpg

Blob55 said:
ryter78 said:
34pkruw.jpg

Check this pic out. On the opposite sides of the circle is the type that is weak/strong against the other type. Jolteon being electric type we can be lead to believe that sylveon will be flying type. Just a neat theory

I thought you were pointing at ground type...
Well, ground type would work because electric type attacks don't affect ground type Pokémon, much like how psychic type moves (Espeon) don't affect dark types (Umbreon).

NFESENE.png

PellOfTheTundra said:

Actually, Leafeon goes BEFORE Glaceon, not after.

Re: What Type might Ninfia (Sylveon) be??

YOU are correct. Want a cookie?

Seriously. You theorists and your Half-Life 3.

Blob55 said:
Suitcune said:

img_2_2.jpg

Blob55 said:
I thought you were pointing at ground type...
Well, ground type would work because electric type attacks don't affect ground type Pokémon, much like how psychic type moves (Espeon) don't affect dark types (Umbreon).

NFESENE.png

PellOfTheTundra said:

Actually, Leafeon goes BEFORE Glaceon, not after.

I thought it looked really cool how in the black chart the shape made when circling the eevees was almost similar to an atom, and how in the game logo there is a DNA:
pokemon-x-y-japanese.jpg

And X and Y are most likley the chromosomes

Back