XY X / Y Box Art Subtly Reveals Legendaries Typing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: X/Y Box Art Subtly Reveals Legendaries Typing?

Alix Rooker said:
Pokequaza said:
Giratina represents anti-matter.
Yes. As well as the Devil. At least it's design and backstory do.
Giratina (Satan) was banished by Arceus (God) for misdeeds that it committed.
Giratina also has 6 legs, 6 spikes, and 6 wings (in origin forme), and is based on a Basilisk/Dragon/Serpent, the proposed biblical 666 beast.

Giratina was not banished by Arceus, there is no ingame text that explicitly says this.

I thought it ( Giratina ) was imprisoned by Dialga according to Arceus & The Jewel Of Life movie.

Well technically, these are the European boxarts. Does anyone see the Pegi rating? America uses ESRB. :p

Teeboy23 said:
Well technically, these are the European boxarts. Does anyone see the Pegi rating? America uses ESRB. :p

The American ones are exactly the same. They've been the same internationally since the DS era.

DorianBlack said:
Teeboy23 said:

The American ones are exactly the same. They've been the same internationally since the DS era.

I know. I just wanted to see if anyone noticed the difference in the rating between regions.

Teeboy23 said:
DorianBlack said:

I know. I just wanted to see if anyone noticed the difference in the rating between regions.
I know in Australia the games got a higher rating than usual, I forgot what it was for, though.

Also, these life/death, order/chaos, or creation/destruction theories don't seem likely, we have nothing cannon to back them up. I still firmly believe in the DNA/genetics theory, as there is a lot more official evidence to support it.

Pokequaza said:
Alix Rooker said:
Giratina also has 6 legs, 6 spikes, and 6 wings (in origin forme), and is based on a Basilisk/Dragon/Serpent, the proposed biblical 666 beast.

Giratina was not banished by Arceus, there is no ingame text that explicitly says this.
"Legends claim that Giratina appear in cemeteries and that this Pokémon species supposedly lives in a world on the reverse side of ours. It was banished for violence, possibly by Arceus."- From the Giratina page on Bulbapedia.

I can see Xerneas being Fairy/Grass and Yveltal being Dragon/Fire. Fairy beats Dragon. Grass is ineffective against Fire (and Dragon). Fire beats Grass. Dragon doesn't do damage to Fairy.

Pokequaza said:
Alix Rooker said:

Its Platinum entry does say it was banished and who else, but Arceus, could do that.

Bulbapedia is not a reliable source because anyone can edit it. Just watch Arceus and the Jewel Of Life to find it is was Dialga who imprisoned Giratina.

King Arceus said:
Bulbapedia is not a reliable source because anyone can edit it. Just watch Arceus and the Jewel Of Life to find it is was Dialga who imprisoned Giratina.

The anime isn't exactly contiguous with the games a lot of the time, though. As far as the main canon (the handheld games) goes, Giratina was banished, but it doesn't say by whom.

Anyway, I don't think Good/Evil is the route they're going with here. I think Life/Death and/or Creation/Destruction are more likely. Yveltal reminds me of poison and decay, but as death is not necessarily evil (and is in fact necessary for the planet to thrive), I doubt it will be evil in any sense other than it could be feared by people. Xerneas, likewise, looks vibrant and like something that represents and gives life, but it doesn't really look "good".

With that said, I have to wonder if they'll still be against each other (seriously, why do most of the version mascots seem to have such a beef with each other?), or if they'll be more like Ho-Oh/Lugia and just sort of coexist. I think I'd like to see the latter.

I still like order/chaos.

Alix Rooker said:
Pokequaza said:
"Legends claim that Giratina appear in cemeteries and that this Pokémon species supposedly lives in a world on the reverse side of ours. It was banished for violence, possibly by Arceus."- From the Giratina page on Bulbapedia.

Well, this:

King Arceus said:

Then again, the anime isn't a reliable source either. The point is, it is not confirmed whether it was Arceus, Dialga, or perhaps even humans.

King Arceus said:
Are you kidding? It's a strictly monitored site for the pages. I tried adding trivia to a few pages, and it was immediately removed. And how could Dialga imprison Giratina??

Pokequaza said:
Then again, the anime isn't a reliable source either. The point is, it is not confirmed whether it was Arceus, Dialga, or perhaps even humans.
How in hell could HUMANS banish Giratina to a realm that they barely even knew existed?

Alix Rooker said:
King Arceus said:
Are you kidding? It's a strictly monitored site for the pages. I tried adding trivia to a few pages, and it was immediately removed. And how could Dialga imprison Giratina??

Pokequaza said:
How in hell could HUMANS banish Giratina to a realm that they barely even knew existed?

in dex entries, humans are just as supernatural as pokemon at times lol

Mitja said:
Alix Rooker said:

in dex entries, humans are just as supernatural as pokemon at times lol

I'm confused. Explain.

Anyways, can we stop this tangent?

Back to the actual topic. I looked back at the cover art again. My concept is simple. The actual environmental background is one type of the legendary while the contrasting shade of the environment is the other type. Xerneas has a forest background, hence its possible grass typing. The shading outside of the X-shape is light thus representing its fairy or light type. Xerneas in would be Grass/Fairy or Grass/Light (I am still mentioning the light type just because I want people to realize that the fairy type is not based on the typical American archetype of fairies- that being tiny girls with wings a la Tinkerbell. Light type covers a larger range and deals with characteristics other than appearance; Xerneas doesn't look like the average "fairy").

Yveltal has a sky as a background, hence its possible flying typing. The shading outside of the Y-shape is darker, which should represent its possible dark typing. Therefore Yveltal could be Dark/Flying, or Flying/Dark.

These two sets of types, Grass/Fairy and Dark/Flying are suitable for both of the legendary Pokémon. Xerneas is similar in appearance to an elk. Sawsbuck is also pretty similar and is grass type. The light or fairy type could be contributed to Xerneas' light crystals, if you will, which are embedded in its antlers. On the other hand, Yveltal is a clearly a Flying type-esque Pokémon, it has wings and resembles a bird or a dragon (I would say more bird than dragon because of the almost down-material coat it has on its neck which is similar to other flying type/bird Pokémon such as Articuno and Honchkrow ). Overall, Yveltal resembles a bird of prey to me because of its overall softer texture appearance that most dragons do NOT have, example being Altaria, but Altaria is also Flying type. Also in regards to appearance, Yveltal's tail and wings are more relatable to flying type Pokémon because its wings do not appear to be webbed like most dragons, and its tail does not come to a point like most lizard like dragons. Yveltal's coloring is, overall, a very dark palette which can represent its dark type.

When it comes to concept stories of legendary Pokémon, many people have mentioned two main theories. One is the Yggdrasil theory, which comes out of Norse mythology. If you read up a little on this theory it is well represented with these two legendary Pokémon, among other potential creatures. The other theory that has been discussed is the creation versus destruction theory. Now, I can't explain everything on here, because I feel that it would be too much to read but I will point out some key supportive ideas that I see.

1. The typings I mentioned at the beginning represent the cycle of creation and destruction. As neither legendary has an overall advantage against the other, it seems to me that they are another pair of opposites. Now although people may argue that this concept of opposites didn't always exist in Pokémon, I can assure you that even Lugia and Ho-oh and Groudon and Kyogre were considered to some degree opposites, just not in typing. Eventually though, Gamefreak made the typing of the legendary duos of later generations to have no significant advantages over the other. This pairing of opposites shows that you need destruction for creation and vice-versa.

2. Xerneas is a good representation for creation and life because of its atmosphere of the forest. Forests, especially rain forests, are known for being extremely fertile and have a high variety of species; in fact, the discovery of new species occurs quite often in those environments. The light crystals on its antlers almost make a rainbow. I think rainbows are also representative of creation because of biblical and literary allusions of them. Also rainbows convey hope.

3. Yveltal's appearance represents destruction with red and black, which are colors that one typically see in a disaster zone (fire and smoke). Also something I thought about mentioning is the red and black colors of the French Revolution (Les Mis). Since this game is taking France as its inspiration, maybe this is an allusion to that? Also red and black are colors of anarchy that were represented in many revolutions around the world.

4. Speaking of revolutions, we need to mention how pertinent they are. A revolution is typically a large movement towards new ideals. Many revolutions, but not all, are violent. This simple fact ties in with the destruction of something for the creation of something else. Sometimes, total destruction is the most effective way of bringing a new concept or creation to life.

Well, I hope I didn't go on for too long, but this is just a summary of what I believe so far.

Alix Rooker said:
King Arceus said:

Pokequaza said:

Bulbapedia contains a lot of guesses and opinions as well. The word ''possibly'' in your quote said it all. The trivia section is mostly guesses, it's usually supported by proper evidence; however the quote you gave didn't have any evidence supporting it, it was nothing more than a mere guess.

Momaster12 said:
What does any of this have to do with the thread topic? o_O

A lot. There is reason behind the types of legendaries; discover what their ''rules'' are, and you are set for a fine prediction.

sohrin305 said:
Anyways, can we stop this tangent?

Back to the actual topic. I looked back at the cover art again. My concept is simple. The actual environmental background is one type of the legendary while the contrasting shade of the environment is the other type. Xerneas has a forest background, hence its possible grass typing. The shading outside of the X-shape is light thus representing its fairy or light type. Xerneas in would be Grass/Fairy or Grass/Light (I am still mentioning the light type just because I want people to realize that the fairy type is not based on the typical American archetype of fairies- that being tiny girls with wings a la Tinkerbell. Light type covers a larger range and deals with characteristics other than appearance; Xerneas doesn't look like the average "fairy").

Yveltal has a sky as a background, hence its possible flying typing. The shading outside of the Y-shape is darker, which should represent its possible dark typing. Therefore Yveltal could be Dark/Flying, or Flying/Dark.

These two sets of types, Grass/Fairy and Dark/Flying are suitable for both of the legendary Pokémon. Xerneas is similar in appearance to an elk. Sawsbuck is also pretty similar and is grass type. The light or fairy type could be contributed to Xerneas' light crystals, if you will, which are embedded in its antlers. On the other hand, Yveltal is a clearly a Flying type-esque Pokémon, it has wings and resembles a bird or a dragon (I would say more bird than dragon because of the almost down-material coat it has on its neck which is similar to other flying type/bird Pokémon such as Articuno and Honchkrow ). Overall, Yveltal resembles a bird of prey to me because of its overall softer texture appearance that most dragons do NOT have, example being Altaria, but Altaria is also Flying type. Also in regards to appearance, Yveltal's tail and wings are more relatable to flying type Pokémon because its wings do not appear to be webbed like most dragons, and its tail does not come to a point like most lizard like dragons. Yveltal's coloring is, overall, a very dark palette which can represent its dark type.

When it comes to concept stories of legendary Pokémon, many people have mentioned two main theories. One is the Yggdrasil theory, which comes out of Norse mythology. If you read up a little on this theory it is well represented with these two legendary Pokémon, among other potential creatures. The other theory that has been discussed is the creation versus destruction theory. Now, I can't explain everything on here, because I feel that it would be too much to read but I will point out some key supportive ideas that I see.

1. The typings I mentioned at the beginning represent the cycle of creation and destruction. As neither legendary has an overall advantage against the other, it seems to me that they are another pair of opposites. Now although people may argue that this concept of opposites didn't always exist in Pokémon, I can assure you that even Lugia and Ho-oh and Groudon and Kyogre were considered to some degree opposites, just not in typing. Eventually though, Gamefreak made the typing of the legendary duos of later generations to have no significant advantages over the other. This pairing of opposites shows that you need destruction for creation and vice-versa.

2. Xerneas is a good representation for creation and life because of its atmosphere of the forest. Forests, especially rain forests, are known for being extremely fertile and have a high variety of species; in fact, the discovery of new species occurs quite often in those environments. The light crystals on its antlers almost make a rainbow. I think rainbows are also representative of creation because of biblical and literary allusions of them. Also rainbows convey hope.

3. Yveltal's appearance represents destruction with red and black, which are colors that one typically see in a disaster zone (fire and smoke). Also something I thought about mentioning is the red and black colors of the French Revolution (Les Mis). Since this game is taking France as its inspiration, maybe this is an allusion to that? Also red and black are colors of anarchy that were represented in many revolutions around the world.

4. Speaking of revolutions, we need to mention how pertinent they are. A revolution is typically a large movement towards new ideals. Many revolutions, but not all, are violent. This simple fact ties in with the destruction of something for the creation of something else. Sometimes, total destruction is the most effective way of bringing a new concept or creation to life.

Well, I hope I didn't go on for too long, but this is just a summary of what I believe so far.

Thank you for getting us back on topic. I also like the summary of how it ties in perhaps with France.

Yveltal and Xerneas support the coordinate theory:

>Named X and Y after the 2 Axis.
>Xerneas represents an X, the Horizontal axis which would be the ground. Might be Ground or Grass type IMO (what is more probable to be of the Horizontal axis).
>Yveltal represents a Y, the Veritcal axis which means Sky. It would be Flying.

So I would say that Yveltal Flying/Dark and Xerneas Ground/Grass (or Ground/something or Grass/something).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back