(1) B/W Starter Pokemon Revealed in CoroCoro Scans [5/12]

manpanda said:
yo does anyone know how many corocoro scans there's meant to be? Like is everything up or should we expect more?

There should be more. IIRC there's usually 3 spreads, or 2 spreads and a single.

Plus, we've been told we will find out how Zorua evolves, and nothing so far has said that. (Plus all the unconfirmed info like Zoroark's ability and the Shiny Beast event)

And the male is awesome. :D I think I might have a new favorite protagonist.

When I first saw the sprites this morning, I was dissapointed, especially after comparing them to other generation starters. However, like Zoroark and its pre-evolution, they really have been growing on me.

Tsutaaja: I really like this one, and for some reason I think of Flygon when I look at this thing. I look foward to seeing what it will evolve into. Maybe a grass/flying combo? o_O

Pokabu: This is easily my favorite one so far. I love the look, and there's no doubt it'll evolve into something crazy. I'm hoping for a fire/electric combo, because that looks like the direction it could take, with the yellow-orangish-black coloring. For some odd reason it looks like someone morphed Grumpig and Camerupt, both of which are among my favorite 3rd Gen pokemon!

Mijumaru: My least favorite; I really hope it grows on me. It looks like a clown. If it wasn't a starter, I would've liked it much more. But hopefully, it'll grow on me like the other four released Pokemon, and I look foward to what it'll evolve into!

Overall, they seem a little meh, but I did the same thing with the 4th Gen starters, and for some reason I'm in love with them now (except for Piplup's evolutions... o_O).

but everyone likes the grass one!!! its way to popular thats why im not liking it, plus it looks way to much like treeko

bacon said:
This post. Times a thousand. Seriously, you guys harping on about how unoriginal these guys are compared to the "older" generations need to realise that a) First and second gen had some terribly unoriginal lines and b) Back then there weren't 400+ Pokemon in existence already, making it very easy to come up with new ideas. To me it looks like more effort has been put into these designs than anything the past generations have dished out.

Now, I'm not defending these new guys like a raging fanboy. The Fire starter is lacking in an interesting design and the Water starter just looks downright peculiar. But to say that these guys are "unoriginal" is an unfair criticism, I think.

Also the Grass starter is the coolest thing in existence. Although I am hoping for a Dark or Fighting sub-type, Dragon would be very interesting too.

Thank you. Some people need to read this. Now don't get me wrong of course not everyone is going to like every Pokemon but to say the originals were better and more creative is just a little biased. I felt that the origianls just took regular animals and changed their color. I feel now that more design is actually being put in. My least favorite gen was Gen 3. Claydol is one of my most disliked Pokemon.

HikaruAyame said:
There should be more. IIRC there's usually 3 spreads, or 2 spreads and a single.

Plus, we've been told we will find out how Zorua evolves, and nothing so far has said that. (Plus all the unconfirmed info like Zoroark's ability and the Shiny Beast event)

And the male is awesome. :D I think I might have a new favorite protagonist.

Yeah the trainers are total badasses this time around. baseball caps and boots and HUGE hair. They're awesome!

elite said:
but everyone likes the grass one!!! its way to popular thats why im not liking it, plus it looks way to much like treeko

Nah similar shape, But it does look different. I love these starters. I call the otter guy snowman and fire pig porkchops. Dont have a name for the so called snake guy. Maybe It'll lose its limbs of evolution, Like the snakes of the past.

the female starter looks kinda bad IMO but the male is FLYERRRR haha lol

Annihilator27 said:
Nah similat shape, But it does look different. I love these starters. I call the otter guy snowman and fire pig porkchops. don't have a name for the so called snake guy. Maybe It'll lose its limbs of evolution, Like the snakes of the past.
it even has the same facial expression

bacon said:
This post. Times a thousand. Seriously, you guys harping on about how unoriginal these guys are compared to the "older" generations need to realise that a) First and second gen had some terribly unoriginal lines and b) Back then there weren't 400+ Pokemon in existence already, making it very easy to come up with new ideas.

Now, I'm not defending these new guys like a raging fanboy. The Fire starter is lacking in an interesting design and the Water starter just looks downright peculiar. But to say that these guys are "unoriginal" is an unfair criticism, I think.

Also the Grass starter is the coolest thing in existence. Admit it.
The grass starter has those dull half-open eyes. The different-colour eyelid thing is horrible as well, I've been seeing it more and more on Pokémon and it has to stop, it's not because the technology finally allows us to add more colour to a Pokémon that we need to add as many as possible (also looking at you, firepigthing).

My criticism isn't that they're unoriginal, it's that they're badly designed. Rhyhorn, for example, is by far one of the least original Pokémon, but it looks good, it follows a logical pattern with its evolution, it's straightforward, and it's just a kick-donkey Pokémon. What made gen1 good wasn't its originality (lol, not at all), its the design and the flow.
I'll take a gen3 Pokémon as another example, Carvanha. It has 3 completely different colours all thrown onto one Pokémon, this weird symbol on its stomach (a trend which started with gen2, looking at the Ursaring-line (although I guess Weezing sorta qualifies as well)), bizarrely placed teeth and shares very little in common with its evolution (to the point where it loses a fin on its head and even a tail). Even very different Gen1 evolution-lines (Spearow-Fearow) at least follow a similar basic colour scheme and are at least easily connected beyond the fact that they both belong to the same phylum.
Sure, Carvanha is original, never seen a mouth like that before, a star on a fish?, etc. But that doesn't make it a good design.

I understand that some people might like the newer style, but in my opinion it deviates too much from the original style and therefore makes all the new Pokémon seem less and less like Pokémon. The original style worked well enough anyway (I mean, Pokémon became pretty popular, didn't it?), I don't see why we suddenly needed to change.

pokemon is gonna run out of ideas someday...and seeing these starters, that day is commin quick!

elite said:

They dont look that alike. But come on nothing is perfect. It doesnt have ridges, Its tail is fannish? Seems to be smiling a bit to me, Treecko had like a smirk or couldnt really see its mouth sometimes. Over all body shape is different.

elite said:

Well first the Treecko in the games had a more confident, take charge look. The one in the show was more of a lone wolf. Tsutaaja is more cool, calm and collected in my opinion.

elite said:
pokemon is gonna run out of ideas someday...and seeing these starters, that day is commin quick!

I don't get where all this "out of ideas" crap comes from. They just released three NEW pokemon that are totally different than ones that came before. Those are NEW IDEAS.

Annihilator27 said:
They don't look that alike. But come on nothing is perfect. It doesnt have ridges, Its tail is fannish? Seems to be smiling a bit to me, Treecko had like a smirk or couldnt really see its mouth sometimes. Over all body shape is different.
do i really have to spell this one out??
the eyes, where the colors are, both have long tails, and the shape of the head is some-what close, they dont look everything alike, but way too alike for 5 grass starter pokemon

manpanda said:
I don't get where all this "out of ideas" crud comes from. They just released three NEW pokemon that are totally different than ones that came before. Those are NEW IDEAS.
have u seen them?

idk, but i really don't lik the eyes on the pig one...i dont lik the pig at all, i was really dissapointed this morning, but the water one is actually growing on me, i like the grass one but too many people like it, and all the water evolutions are ugly (just in my opinion!!!) the grass one is gonna evolve to somethin UH-MAZZIN

Heavenly Spoon :F said:
The grass starter has those dull half-open eyes. The different-colour eyelid thing is horrible as well, I've been seeing it more and more on Pokémon and it has to stop, it's not because the technology finally allows us to add more colour to a Pokémon that we need to add as many as possible (also looking at you, firepigthing).

My criticism isn't that they're unoriginal, it's that they're badly designed. Rhyhorn, for example, is by far one of the least original Pokémon, but it looks good, it follows a logical pattern with its evolution, it's straightforward, and it's just a kick-donkey Pokémon. What made gen1 good wasn't its originality (lol, not at all), its the design and the flow.
I'll take a gen3 Pokémon as another example, Carvanha. It has 3 completely different colours all thrown onto one Pokémon, this weird symbol on its stomach (a trend which started with gen2, looking at the Ursaring-line (although I guess Weezing sorta qualifies as well)), bizarrely placed teeth and shares very little in common with its evolution (to the point where it loses a fin on its head and even a tail). Even very different Gen1 evolution-lines (Spearow-Fearow) at least follow a similar basic colour scheme and are at least easily connected beyond the fact that they both belong to the same phylum.
Sure, Carvanha is original, never seen a mouth like that before, a star on a fish?, etc. But that doesn't make it a good design.

I understand that some people might like the newer style, but in my opinion it deviates too much from the original style and therefore makes all the new Pokémon seem less and less like Pokémon. The original style worked well enough anyway (I mean, Pokémon became pretty popular, didn't it?), I don't see why we suddenly needed to change.

Thats the best way to describe how I felt. I like the new ones they are alright and there colors are really pretty too, but it doesnt feel the same.

I have to say that i absolutely love the protagonist designs this time around, better than my last 2 favs (Red & Leaf), The male looks cool and the female looks cute as well, i like the fact that they're both 15-17 in age.

I'd also like to pint out in the second set of scans with the full body pictures of the protags, that they're both wearing a watch like device on their wrists. I am hoping that this will be a new and improved version of the Poketch, which IMO was the Best Pokemon equipment out of any Gen...

elite said:

Just because the starters may look similar to some of the others doesn't mean they're running out of ideas. My sister told me that when pokemon first started they created something like 1000 different pokemon! Judging by the fact that we are only up to 493, I wouldn't worry about them running out of ideas yet.

Gahhh im sick of people saying these are "unoriginal" but the thing is, its pokemon!! Who cares!! I honestly think this gen is going to be a great one, im already in love with Tsutaaja :D, Pokabu is pretty sick, and Mijumaru is way better then piplup imo. I diddnt like 4th gen starters AT ALL, besides turtwig, little epic turtle :D. I cant wait to get some evolutions for these guys, I think this gen is going to wow us. And all of the people who said these new pokemon were going to suck, take a took again. Everyone is already growing to one of the 3 starters, for me its Tsutaaja, and i can already see Mijumaru getting made fun of D:, but i like his design!! Its diffrent and i think every pokemon has that certain unique feeling to it.

another neat option for the game is if you could start as team rocket members or Pokémon trainers, but I still would be on the good side, its just a neat way to look at it

elite said:
manpanda said:
I don't get where all this "out of ideas" crud comes from. They just released three NEW pokemon that are totally different than ones that came before. Those are NEW IDEAS.
have u seen them?
Yes I have. The similarities are that the grass starter and treecko are both bipedal, mostly green, reptiles with big eyes. They're species is different, their body structure is different, their head structure is different, their limbs are different, their eyes are different, and besides the green their coloration is different. There has been a pig pokemon before but I dont need to explain the differences between spoink and crispybacon. And unless I missed something, there hasn't been a sea otter yet. So I fail to see how these are not new ideas.

Back