3DS Discussion Thread

I agree with Chariblaze it wasn't bad by any means, it just has no replay value and it's around $20 overpriced... :|

I remember when we wanted that game. But then the price was revealed so my brother and I ignored it. I honestly forgot it existed until I read your post. Soooo overpriced.

The 3DS definitely looks like a very innovative project for Nintendo. I love the fact that their making the 3DS not only a gaming console, but a very helpful tool as well. First off, I'm very impressed with the fact that there are three different cameras on the system. The outer camera and inner camera have an ability to zoom and they can shoot pictures up to 0.3 mp. Bringing back the traditional Internet Browser is always a plus. I'm glad that they have incorporated Netflix, like on the Wii!

If only Nintendo would produce a smart phone... think of the possibilities!

It's neat that it has the 3D camera; is what I would say if it wasn't such a bad one lol. The Internet Browser is also a bit disappointing on our internet for some reason, but I know a lot of people who say it's fast for them. I do like that they have the options there though. Gaming on the system is what you think about it first and foremost as its main feature, but those extra little things do increase its usefulness.

I have to disagree with you on the smartphone bit though. Not because of the elitist attitude many carry about smartphone gaming, but rather because playing games without buttons is always kind of clunky. It's the reason that I have never taken apps very seriously as games no matter how much cheaper they may be.

The games that take advantage of the devices features such as the touch-screen WITHOUT the attempted use of on-screen buttons are always nice though, like Cut The Rope. That's the only app I actually play very often, with all but four boxes 3-Starred - and that's just because I lost all my data when I upgraded to my iPod Touch 4th Gen. So basically, I've played it for about thirteen~fifteen hours, with hundreds of levels played. I can actually say I like it as a game because it all flows so smoothly - and for only a dollar!

But even with that being said I still haven't found very many good apps and most of them don't last me for more than an hour or two tops. Which is nice for a dollar, but said time is never in one sitting and that's where I dislike apps; they can't be played for two hours straight without ending up rather boring - in my case anyways. Whereas I spent two hours straight on Black 2 every day for a week when I got it and enjoyed every bit, I can't play say, Angry Birds for more than ten without getting bored.

I seem to have rambled on for too long though because I can't even remember where this post was going. So I think I'll end this rather confusingly laid-out, back and forth post here. :p

SotS said:
I have to disagree with you on the smartphone bit though. Not because of the elitist attitude many carry about smartphone gaming, but rather because playing games without buttons is always kind of clunky. It's the reason that I have never taken apps very seriously as games no matter how much cheaper they may be.

They could go the way of the Xperia Play. I don't know if I'd like it, but hey, buttons are buttons. And unlike that, Nintendo would have more support; people would develop Nintendo-specific smartphone games as if they were making a game on normal Nintendo handhelds.

But on the topic of smartphone gaming, I find simple PC games ported to Android work well (in concept); the many I've gotten from the Humble Bundles for Android are one of the reasons I want to get a smartphone.

So, I just got a 3DS for Christmas and I've noticed that on the side where the SD card slot is, the back panel is a little loose. It seems like when I push on it it it goes down, but just slightly. I was wondering if it's the same way for all 3DS'. I'm also wondering if its just a little loose on that side because that's where the SD card hole is, because the little screws are all screwed in fine. Inb4 people bash me for being OCD about my technology.

One more thing. I got $50 bucks in Best Buy gift cards and I was wondering if it is worth upgrading to the XL 3DS. Any advice?

Not really sure about the panel. Mine is kinda loose too, but I've picked it a bit.
About the 3DS XL, I don't know. I don't think it has anything more than the original except the bigger screens, which is better for 3DS games, but kinda sucks for (some) DS games, as it streches the images a lot. Maybe someone else can provide more info.
Generally, I think the 3DS is a very good system. There are only two things I don't like. First, the fact that it's not supporting pluggins, so I can't stream, and second, the fact that Nintendo e-shop cards aren't sold everywhere, thus making it very difficult for people to buy. E.g. I have no credit card, and Greece doesn't get e-shop cards. How am I gonna get the Dream Radar like that?

I am waiting for the XL to be available in purple before I purchase it.

@ChillBil

Maybe you can you find the cards online somewhere? Why do you pick at yours? Is yours loose on both ends?Thanks for your input btw!

Can anyone confirm that the 3DS XL stretches DS game pictures too far? Is it worth exchanging my regular sized for an XL?

Elite Stride said:
So, I just got a 3DS for Christmas and I've noticed that on the side where the SD card slot is, the back panel is a little loose. It seems like when I push on it it it goes down, but just slightly. I was wondering if it's the same way for all 3DS'. I'm also wondering if its just a little loose on that side because that's where the SD card hole is, because the little screws are all screwed in fine. Inb4 people bash me for being OCD about my technology.

If you mean that side of the back panel is kinda bulging when you press it, yeah, I have that and I'd imagine all 3DSs do. You're fine.

One more thing. I got $50 bucks in Best Buy gift cards and I was wondering if it is worth upgrading to the XL 3DS. Any advice?

If you can, I'd go for it. As long as you're not planning on carrying it in your pocket, or being the most diehard fan of Fluidity: Spin Cycle, it's a better piece of hardware. Nintendo made a point not to add any extra features to it so as not to draw criticism over a releasing a new version of the system within 18 months, but the build quality is definitely better. The normal 3DS is very cramped internals-wise; they got it as small as they could, apparently. Since the XL is bigger, stuff got a bit better. That bulging you're talking about isn't there. The oil marks that are laid onto the top screen from the bottom's border isn't an issue (they might have fixed that in later manufacturing runs of the normal 3DS, actually). The start, select, and home buttons are more buttony. You may want to take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, since I've never actually touched one, but I am parroting people I trust, including SotS:

SotS said:
The 3DS XL launched today in America, and let me tell you, it IS the 3DS. It feels very, very sturdy in comparison to the original 3DS. The screens are just amazing; very immersive with 3D. The over-all design feels way comfier, and the screen scratch issue seems to be fixed. MY goodness I know this is just first week hyperbole most likely, but I'm not disappointed one bit. (I did the Gamestop trade-in thing where you bought the system, transferred stuff over, returned the system, then "re-bought" it with trade-in 3DS.) The blue is a really nice shade. Didn't get to see red, but I don't mind, I never really liked red...

Elite Stride said:
Can anyone confirm that the 3DS XL stretches DS game pictures too far? Is it worth exchanging my regular sized for an XL?

http://kotaku.com/5935578/the-nintendo-3ds-xl-the-kotaku-review
Kotaku is a weird place said:
I popped old DS games into my 3DS XL, first Advance Wars: Dual Strike (save game circa 2005!) and an old favorite, Kirby Canvas Curse. Both looked huge and excellent when blown up on the 3DS XL; maybe a little jaggy because of the bigger screen but only in a hey-these-games-are-kind-of-old-and-look-cool-because-they-now-look-a-bit-chunky kind of way. I loaded up some old favorites from the downloadable line of DSiWare games. The vastly underrated two-toned Descent-a-like X-Scape from Q-Games looked sharp on the 3DS XL. So did the 3DS-only eShop game Pushmo (aka the best 3DS game of last year). GBA games hold up on the 3DS XL's upper screen as well.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9112058
The nice thing is that the XL's screen is large enough that you can use true pixel resolution for DS games and not have to squint.

https://www.google.com/search?oq=how+do+ds+games+look+on+3ds+xl&sugexp=chrome,mod=12&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=how+do+ds+games+look+on+3ds+xl

Clay, thank you so much! I can't tell you how helpful that actually was. I appreciate you weighing in! :)

It sounds like the way to go. Besides, it's free cause its not like I bought the gift cards. Haha

Well, as Clay stated, if it's the back panel, you're probably fine.
And I picked at it once because I thought it was too loose, but I couldn't fix it, and I was afraid I actually worsened it (most probably, I didn't).
And unfortunately, finding the cards online requires credit card (again). Can you give me yours:p?

Oh that's right! Sorry! Doesn't Greece have Visa gift cards you can buy? That's the next best thing to a credit card I suppose.

That's a good idea. I'll try it. Thanks, ES!
Still, you get the meaning of my rant. Not releasing the e-shop cards in all countries is very annoying. Because it's not only here. There are many other countries without them. And then Nintendo releases a ton of downloadable content and says "Go on, help yourselves." Why don't they just release the damn cards? What do they have to lose?

I just downloaded Puchmo last night. :D It's so much fun! No wonder it got so much praise!

As for the issues with the e-shop cards, I can relate.

Target said:
Portable game system. Available in three colors. free $25 Target GiftCard® when you buy the Nintendo 3DS or 3DS XL. Quantities limited; no rain checks. Terms and conditions apply to gift cards.

HOLY MOLY

Lots, lots, lots of new stuff announced in today's Nintendo Direct:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cntz1GyM1Bs[/video]

A rundown with my comments, with help from Nintendo Life's liveblog:

• 2013 is the year of Luigi, so Luigi was a big emphasis, even with decor.
  • Lots of talk about and footage for Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, with Miyamoto making his first Nintendo Direct appearance.
  • Mario and Luigi Dream Team slated for summer on 3DS. Luigi is sleeping a good chunk of the game, and Mario jumps into his dreams with help from Luigi with manipulative abilities. Looks great, but I hope Luigi wanders around the world like Bowser did in Bowser's Inside Story.
  • Mario Golf World Tour hitting this summer on 3DS, developed by Camelot of course. Looks neat, but it'd be nice to have an RPG mode again...
  • DLC for New Super Mario Bros. U announced: New Super Luigi U! It seems like a whole new set of levels, with Luigi as the sole playable character. Coming sometime this year. No price announced, but I think $20 would be reasonable.
  • A Zelda Series Miiverse Community is available now, with occasional visits from Aonuma. Cool.
  • DLC talk for Fire Emblem. Talk about how the currently free DLC will become $2.50 in march, and how currently $4 DLC will be raised to $6. Also, there should be a Swap Note message coming soon...
  • The news you've been waiting for: Animal Crossing is releasing on June 9th! A bit late, but it's great to have a date.
  • Animal Crossing styles are coming to Style Savvy soon. Neat.
  • Details on and a trailer for LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins. This was announced a week or two ago, and thankfully it looks similar to the Wii U game in gameplay.
  • Free Ninja Gaiden 3 update available today adding skins and stuff.
  • Wii Street U is available now, free for a limited time. This was announced late last year, and seems to be where the Panorama Experience things from the past two E3s have ended up.
  • HarmoKnight is coming March 28 with a demo on March 14. Looks like great stuff. There's a trailer, and the Nintendo Direct footage features an arrangement of the Johto Gym theme.
  • Kersploosh! is a new game coming to the eShop. You're some kind of object, and you're directing yourself on your descent through a well. Trailer, launches March 7. Look fun.
  • Here's something that's been gone a while: Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move. So yeah, this isn't a Mario Vs. DK title, it's Mario and DK. Very interesting. Rather a sidescrolling puzzle thingy, this is now a 3D cube puzzle thingy. "Coming soon". Very glad to see this series back on the eShop, this is definitely where it belongs. Not counting the first game, the DSiWare game has always been one of the best because it gave you so much for so little. Why buy a $30 retail release, even if it has new mechanics and a bunch of content?
  • A sequel: Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger. It looks much the same, but now there's supporting characters that help in battle. There's also a train, which makes everything better. Coming April 11, here's hoping they fix whatever turned people off of the first game.
  • Harvest Moon and Legend of the River King, two Game Boy Color releases, are coming soon to the eShop.
  • A new promotion for buying a 3DS (Europe had a similar one a few months ago): Buy a 3DS XL and Luigi's Mansion or PMD and register them on Club Nintendo between March 21 and April 30 and you'll get a free download of Mario 3D Land, Freakyforms Deluxe, Art Academy, Star Fox, or Professor Layton. Good deal for those wanting to jump in on the 3DS bandwagon now, but the biggest thing of note for me if Professor Layton, and I can probably get it for $20 by the time I actually get around to it. Still holding out for the Pikachu XL!
  • And here's a more straightforward promotion: Discounts on eShop stuff!
    • Bit.Trip SAGA, $15 $10, starting today. Very excited for this one, $15 was already very reasonable.
    • Crashmo, $9 $6, starting 2/21. I'm still in Pushmo, but might as well pick this up now.
    • Fractured Soul, $12 $8, starting 2/28. I've heard about this a lot, but I'll be looking closely at reviews before going for it. The demo was kinda eh.
    • Sakura Samurai Art of the Sword, $7 $5, starting 3/7. Good deal for those who don't have it.
    • Ketzal's Corridors, $7 $5, starting 3/14. Same as Fractured Soul, though the demo for ThruSpace was kinda cool.
    • Mutant Mudds, $9 $6, starting 3/21. Good deal.
  • Damon Baker is best NOA employee.
  • This was announced a few weeks back, but here it is again: New Wii U bundle launching on February 17. It's basically the Deluxe Set, though Nintendo Land is a download. It includes ZombiU and an artbook, all for $390. $20 savings, cool... wha? Wii U Pro Controller included? Woo!
  • Runner 2 is on track for February.
  • After being in Europe for a few weeks, Zen Pinball 2 is launching this month for free. You get everything but the tables! :D Trials are included for all tables, and new ones will launch regularly.
  • Toki Tori 2 is hitting in March.
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate is releasing March 5. Demo available on February 28.
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is finally hitting the 3DS and Wii U on March 19. Demos available on February 21.
  • Need for Speed Most Wanted U is launching on March 19 as the definitive console version with asynchronous multiplayer and things. It's the first third-party game to have in-game Miiverse integration.
  • The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct launches March 26. This is based on the TV show and has nothing to do with Tell Tale's games. Not looking to be the best thing right now, but could be good for fans.
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us is coming April 16, same as other consoles.
  • Disney Infinity is still coming in June, of course. Seems the 3DS version might be special.
  • Ninja Reggie announcement ho! Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is launching this summer. It's a 3D version of the Wii game. There's a trailer on the eShop. Looks great.

They better have RPG mode in Mario Golf or I'm gonna flip. I can't tell you how much of a letdown it was that they didn't have it in Tennis, because the GBA one is in my top 3 favorite games list.

Back