XY DLC for Pokémon: What are your thoughts on all the new possibilities?

RE: What do you think about DLC for Pokemon X/Y ?

I have some issues with both DLC and Pokemon at the moment, you combine the two and you get me completely walking away. The exception to this being if the DLC is limited to character customization and you have decent in game default options.

I will apologize upfront because I am probably going to become incoherent at some point as I try to explain.

Let's look at the Pokemon generations for a second.

1st, 3 games.
2nd, 3 games.
3rd, 5 games. 3 new, 2 remakes.
4th, 5 games. 3 new, 2 remakes.

This is where I get kind of angry.

5th, 4 games. 4 new? kind of.

I haven't played BW2 so I don't know for sure but let me do a rough sketch of what I expect the plot is like:
A young boy/girl gets her first pokemon then goes around catching and battling wild pokemon and other trainers. Eventually taking on gym leaders to earn badges and some group that is up to something questionable. Becomes champion of the region and saves the day.
Add to this a total of 5 new FORMS being all that I can find as far as new pokemon are concerned. All the other pokemon are from previous generations or BW. It was great that Game Freak switched up the story/characters/pokemon available/region as much as they did and kudos to them for making so many pokemon available this generation but from a story perspective did they need to release 2 games instead of the usual 1? I can see where they might have needed to from a financial one, but not a story one.

Over the years gamers not just pokemon fans have proven time and again that they will spend money thoughtlessly but doing that essentially let's the developers know you are willing to pour more into something that is actually worth less. If DLC is the future of gaming and it takes I will quit but when you start complaining to me about needing to pay 70 dollars for internet access and 40 dollars for a single player game and then an access fee to play that single player game and then another one time fee to get anything beyond the basics available. At that point what I am going to say is "You reap what you sow."

Some of you probably think that is ridiculous but isn't that essentially what Microsoft's original plans were for the Xbone. You needed internet, then you paid for the game and the Xbox Live membership and then any DLC you get. The Xbox Live membership may not have been necessary but I am not sure.

I have played a few Fire Emblem games and was thinking of getting FE:Awakening but I saw it had DLC, won't touch it. The only type of game that has a reason to charge a continuous fee for access is an MMO. Instead I find myself going back to games from when I got into gaming.

sal880612m said:
I have some issues with both DLC and Pokemon at the moment, you combine the two and you get me completely walking away. The exception to this being if the DLC is limited to character customization and you have decent in game default options.

I will apologize upfront because I am probably going to become incoherent at some point as I try to explain.

1st, 3 games.
2nd, 3 games.

I haven't played BW2 so I don't know for sure but let me do a rough sketch of what I expect the plot is like:
A young boy/girl gets her first pokemon then goes around catching and battling wild pokemon and other trainers. Eventually taking on gym leaders to earn badges and some group that is up to something questionable. Becomes champion of the region and saves the day.
Add to this a total of 5 new FORMS being all that I can find as far as new pokemon are concerned. All the other pokemon are from previous generations or BW. It was great that Game Freak switched up the story/characters/pokemon available/region as much as they did and kudos to them for making so many pokemon available this generation but from a story perspective did they need to release 2 games instead of the usual 1? I can see where they might have needed to from a financial one, but not a story one.

The reason why there are two squeals, is because one follows what happened in White and the other what happened in Black. In White you get Zekrom and N gets Reshiram, so in White 2 N comes back and you see him with Reshiram. In Black you get Reshiram and N gets Zekrom, so in Black 2 you see him with Zekrom.

Blob55 said:
sal880612m said:

1st, 3 games.
2nd, 3 games.

The reason why there are two squeals, is because one follows what happened in White and the other what happened in Black. In White you get Zekrom and N gets Reshiram, so in White 2 N comes back and you see him with Reshiram. In Black you get Reshiram and N gets Zekrom, so in Black 2 you see him with Zekrom.

Exactly. Plus, BW2 were just a way for Game Freak to keep fans occupied while they worked on the REAL new project: X&Y. They knew they were coming under a lot of criticism with the way they have been doing sequels (Platinum, Emerald, etc.), because most of what they did before was slightly alter the last part of the storyline, fix a few issues with pokemon distribution, and update a few visuals. All very predictable, cheap updates. BW2 blew everything we knew about "sequels" out of the water. Completely new storyline, more exploration into the motives of the evil team, new characters, old characters with new roles, Pokestar Studios, new pokemon forms, new cities...sure, many things were exactly as they were in BW1, like sprites and most game locations, but you have to agree that Game Freak put much more effort into BW2 than they did into any 3rd game remake they did before, and it shows.

Also, BW1 had nothing other than Battle Subway and Dex completion to do post-game. BW2 on the other hand has a tone more to do than any other Pokémon game.

I just hope XY will be as good as BW2. I couldn't stand another boring game like BW1, where the most exciting non-story based thing to do is collect props.

I think it is the start to a new game play in Pokemon. It would make it more enjoyable after you beat the main story line. For example with me I find it hard to catch all the pokemon so it could motivate me if I can go to different regions and explore. Thats why Soulsilver is my favorite game(because it has two regions) That is just my opinion.

DorianBlack said:
It's not happening. That's pretty blunt, but as it stands now, there are a few reasons why:

2) It runs counter to the philosophy of the games as we've seen it so far, specifically the part where everyone gets to be on equal footing, and one's level of success and achievement is based on how much effort one puts in. Having "pay-to-play" special areas and missions that provide extra Pokémon that other players don't get to have seems to me to be the exact opposite of that stance. They do have a history of providing special event Pokémon as promotional gifts, but I think rewarding dedicated players with free special gifts is a very different thing from offering prestigious Pokémon to players who pony up more cash.
Well from my experience it hasn't really been fair. Now I'm not saying that we should have to pay to have these dlc's but in my eyes its not fair when japan has all of these events happening and no other region receives the same. I would love for a dlc that adds the old regions just to revisit them have something to do after defeating the champion, because if you're anything like me it gets boring after that. So I'm all for anything that lengthens the game play outside of on-line battling. So yes I would pay just for extra stuff like pokemon not included in the game because from what I know X and Y won't be compatible with our old games so I would love something that would allow me to recapture some of my old favorites that I worked so hard to train and now have to leave behind. I also don't mind paying for a dlc as long as it doesn't have anything to do with the actual story because then that would be unfair to those who don't have access to online or people who can't afford it. I'm all for extra content but buying rare candies and vitamins and so forth is completely out of the question, this isn't Farmville.

DorianBlack said:
Dan32 said:
Some positive things about DLC, I think it gives the developers time to create extra content which would allow the game to be released earlier (DLC free of course). How about extra features like graphics upgrades or fixes, or more music added. New clothes added regularly, new mini games, extra content for pokemon amie (wrong spelling).

Except that extra time spent on the DLC necessarily increases the time until the next release, even if they don't have the whole team working on it. Don't we wait long enough already? And as I've said in the past, having DLC also leaves out customers who don't have easy access to a wireless connection.

A much better strategy if they wanted constant updates would be to tie availability of outfits, Pokémon-Amie items, etc. to the calendar, with different items being available every month, just like in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. No extra development time needed, but there would still be new content appearing for a whole year after release (which is about as long as most games get new DLC anyway).

I mean come on now this is pokemon. They're people working all year long on pokemon. and if you just want items that is what mystery gift is for. DLC is for expanding game play and adding new elements to the game. I'm a Skyrim player and I love the DLC's they came out with and it renewed my passion in the game long after I was bored with it.

Stephen it hasn't been confirmed or disproven whether we can transfer from gen 5 yet.

Tatertot said:
If they do decide to include DLC, they had better make it available between different save files. For example, you buy the DLC for the Hoenn region expansion pack (Farfetch'd, I know), but you start over a new save file. When you reach a certain point in your adventure, you should still have access to the Hoenn region. The one thing that bugged me about HG/SS is that now when I go back to play through them again, I am unable to get the Spiky-Eared Pichu or Lv. 1 Creation Trio because there is no way (other than cheating) to get the event pokemon necessary to activate the in-game event. If there are exclusive areas and pokemon given out for X and Y, there should be some way to access the same content years later, so that the replay value is not lessened.

In all honesty, I really don't think Gamefreak is going to include DLC other than the usual mystery gift event stuff. None of Nintendo's core games thus far have had any substantial DLC, and (don't shoot me on this) I believe Nintendo's president has made a statement before saying they have no intention of including DLC in their games. (I read this on a forum post by the webmaster of a website and forum whose mascot is a green grass/psychic pokemon, if you catch my drift)

Well that's whats different about the 3DS. I have dlc's for a lot of my 3DS games and they download to the actual system or sd card not the cartridge itself. What you are talking about is events not an actual dlc.

zappy800 said:
Stephen it hasn't been confirmed or disproven whether we can transfer from gen 5 yet.

Maybe my info is incorrect but I most definitely read that it will not be compatible because of the difference between ds and 3ds games.

Stephen Williams said:
zappy800 said:

Maybe my info is incorrect but I most definitely read that it will not be compatible because of the difference between ds and 3ds games.

Actually they probably are combatible but for pokemon they might need to make a separate dowload mini game so you transfer onto that then to XY or i might be wrong and we can do it in game. Also welcome to the beach!

Edit: your welcome.

zappy800 said:
Stephen Williams said:

Actually they probably are combatible but for pokemon they might need to make a separate dowload mini game so you transfer onto that then to XY or i might be wrong and we can do it in game. Also welcome to the beach!

I see where you're going with this, and that is a possibility and Thanks I had to join I just can't get enough pokemon lol

On topic: considering the new features the most likely dlc (imo) is different clothing. However I am fairly certain that some creator of pokemon said that they were completely against paid dlc (might have been said) so it would probably be free. That is if we get any.

So in a perfect poke world, I would love for dlc's to happen. Just imagine being able to revisit and rebattle old gyms. Catching old legendary pokemon. I for one would welcome it with open arms. I would love to finally be able to actually catch them all between the two games and with the potential of dlc's we would have that capability. $3 to $4 is not a lot of cash for a dlc, I've seen worse. 5 dlc's one for each region=$20 and you wouldn't have to buy the dlc unless you really wanted it. Like I mentioned in a post before the dlc's I've experienced on 3ds have been downloaded to my sd card or hardware not the cartridge itself so you could restart you game as many times as you want as long as you don't erase the actual data itself. I'm totally against paying for anything else like extra clothes or vitamins like rare candies and the such but anything that gives me access to extra pokemon not included in the game is a dream come true. When I first learned about 3ds having dlc capability I immediately thought of pokemon and what this could mean for the game. As far as people saying we've had dlc's from day 1 I disagree because those were actually already in game data that was just unlocked by downloading a key basically. I'm also against making certain mega evolutions only available online because then only people who don't have internet or can't afford it will be missing out on what is to be a major part of the game. Another thing i'm also against is Japan getting exclusives that the rest of the world doesn't get. The game is coming out world wide at the same time but I still feel Japan is getting preferential treatment with the exclusive news they get first and also the exclusive 3dsxl's they get that aren't available elsewhere yet. Sorry it turned into a rant at the end, let me know what you guys think.

I personally think that the reason Japan gets preferential treatment is since they have the most fans of the games and gamefreak is worried about people getting angry and not buying their games or going to their movies. Plus they live there so if the creators actually play then they would want better stuff.

Stephen Williams said:
So in a perfect poke world, I would love for dlc's to happen. Just imagine being able to revisit and rebattle old gyms. Catching old legendary pokemon. I for one would welcome it with open arms. I would love to finally be able to actually catch them all between the two games and with the potential of dlc's we would have that capability. $3 to $4 is not a lot of cash for a dlc, I've seen worse. 5 dlc's one for each region=$20 and you wouldn't have to buy the dlc unless you really wanted it. Like I mentioned in a post before the dlc's I've experienced on 3ds have been downloaded to my sd card or hardware not the cartridge itself so you could restart you game as many times as you want as long as you don't erase the actual data itself. I'm totally against paying for anything else like extra clothes or vitamins like rare candies and the such but anything that gives me access to extra pokemon not included in the game is a dream come true. When I first learned about 3ds having dlc capability I immediately thought of pokemon and what this could mean for the game. As far as people saying we've had dlc's from day 1 I disagree because those were actually already in game data that was just unlocked by downloading a key basically. I'm also against making certain mega evolutions only available online because then only people who don't have internet or can't afford it will be missing out on what is to be a major part of the game. Another thing i'm also against is Japan getting exclusives that the rest of the world doesn't get. The game is coming out world wide at the same time but I still feel Japan is getting preferential treatment with the exclusive news they get first and also the exclusive 3dsxl's they get that aren't available elsewhere yet. Sorry it turned into a rant at the end, let me know what you guys think.

Also while it doesn't affect the main story line of X and Y I would love to see what's going on in Kanto/Johto now that Team Rocket is completely gone, see how things turned out in Hoenn after the events of Team Magma and Aqua, see if they every got the Space Center up and running in Shinnoh. Nothing that will affect the story of X and Y but you know an update of what's going on in some of those places. See if Red ever went home and became a Gym leader. Or you could have special areas where all the dragons are catch-able an volcano area with all the fire types you know a lake for water types and so on for each type. There are really so many potential things that dlc's could add on to the game.

Stephen Williams said:
... access to extra pokemon not included in the game is a dream come true.

Any pokemon you can get into the game was already on the game. As far as I know the only thing that stops every pokemon from being available in every game in every generation after their introduction natively is gamefreak's design choices. The data is all already there. It was a design choice to make version exclusive pokemon that was either intended to create a social aspect to the game or force the player to essentially buy multiple copies, both of which I have done. There may be balancing or performance issue that stop Game Freak from doing so but it is theoretically possible.

It is also worth noting that even if you have one game from each set released since RSE there is a decent chance it is not possible to get all of the non-event pokemon using only the cartridges you own. I know it isn't possible if your Sinnoh game is Platinum. While you may be able take advantage of the Dream World to make it possible that won't be available much longer. If X and Y features any pokemon as DLC or lacks the ability to link back I will pass on getting either one.

kayko said:
Hey guys. :D
Let's talk about DLC( Downloadable Content),for the new Pokemon Generation.
What could be accesabile through the 3DS / through DLC ?
Would you pay for it ? Would you like DLC for Pokemon X/Y ?
Share your thoughts with me, leave comments and discuss ! :D
:cool::p

I would love to be able to download clothes to look like red or blue/green/gary oak/whatever you named him imagine going through kalos as RED it CANT get better than that in x and y:D

I agree with what people have been saying about DLC clothes. Maybe a clothing pack to look like a past player, gym leader, elite four, champion, professor, etc. Maybe DLC pokemon costumes (costumes that look like pokemon for the player, not costumes for your pokemon). I do not however, think that they should have very many additional DLC legendaries. The occasional event legendary distributed over DLC as opposed to Gamestop or something is fine, but I don't want them going overboard with the DLC.

DLC Clothes sound cool. I think GF shouldn't pull a "This Mega Stone Isn't available anywhere else, buy it now for $3 only!" thing on us, because, really, it makes people almost-just almost- encouraged to cheat. These people are paying $170 for a 3DS, then $40 for the game. I almost think purchasing an app for IOS or Android for $6.99 and having unlimited Mega Stones (Cheats) is more worth it than $39 (The price of the game) for 13 mega stones. I like the Mega Forme Gimmick, but I hope they don't take it too far. /rant :)
But as other people have mentioned, DLC clothes sound like they would be worth the, say $3. And I agree with DrEspeon. Looking like professor Sycamore and walking up to him would be pretty funny. Maybe they could incorporate something in the game where if u walked up to someone and you were wearing their clothes they would freak out. That would definitely be worth $3. I could laugh at it every... single... time...

I would like DLC for X and Y. They should add certain features allowing you to experience past Pokémon stuff.

Now that Pokémon is becoming very future oriented, do you think that future generations will be more compatible with each other? We might be able to see cross generation battles/trades with DLC being available. All they have to do it update the older generations with the new data!

What are your thoughts?

I would love it if games from different generations were compatible with each other and I'd be willing to pay for the updates that it requires. If this happens we might even see remakes of the older games to make them compatible with the new system. *hopes for generation 3 remakes*

Back