Durant makes me want to quit TCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, if you could build a unique deck that handles eel decks but loses to Durant, you can most definitely give up the Durant matchup. As I said earlier, there is nothing perfect in this game. No perfect matchups, no perfect deck. You will lose to one or two of the certain meta decks and no amount of whining is going to change that.

dmaster said:
I'm actually not even surprised by this kind of thread. They are made in every single format complaining about _something_ in the format. First it's donks, then it's flips, then it's first turn rules, then it's Zekrom, then it's Catcher, then it's Durant, then it's Mewtwo, etc. Life is not perfect and neither is this game. If you don't like playing your idea of a "perfect game", this game is not for you.

You forgot Lost World. :p

AmishEskimoNinja said:
I really hate durant. Its not fun to play against, and its not fun to play. Its a vicious deck that requires no skill to play, no money to build, and it wins. Oh does it win. I played machamp at cities and it was my only loss. I think in about 10 durant games I've played I've only beaten it once. And the worst part is there isn't a good tech for it. You have to have a deck that beats it. Fire or trainer lock. Everything else really doesn't stand a chance.

I'm so tired of playing durant and losing, I'm seriously considering quitting until Heatmor comes out an this whole durant thing blows over.

Even with the new Heatmor Durant will still do a lot of damage, and I suspect that Durant decks will evolve to include a water type to combat this weakness. Even still, Durant is not that big a threat to start with assuming you play smart and know NOT to use your draw engines unless you have to.

This will probably be my last post in this thread, because some people I'm discussing this with seem incapable of understanding the difference between playing the game and playing the game well. Anybody who knows the rules to the game can play the game. Not everybody can play the game well. It takes thinking ahead, planning, strategy modification, resource conservation, etc.

Durant makes that gap between playing and playing well so small it's almost non-existent. Durant uses the same strategy every time, and all the rest of the decks use the same strategy against Durant every time.

For the last time, it's not that Durant is unbeatable or too good of a deck. It's that the times it loses are often because the opponent's opening hand was too strong, not because it was outplayed. In a game like Pokémon, the person who is the better player should come out on top most of the time. That often doesn't happen with Durant. And if you think it does, you probably just haven't played against good Durant decks.

AmishEskimoNinja said:
In my last tournament I actually gave up an opportunity to take prize penalty just to be nice. He forgot to put out his prizes and searched his deck.
This is totally unrelated but I did this in the Last Chance qualifier last year because my opponent accidentally drew a prize without knocking my Pokémon out. It's a much better feeling getting a legit win than it is getting one off a prize penalty. I'm glad I'm not the only person who has ever done that lol.

Just to step in here real quick, it is against Spirit of the Game to do something like what AmishEskimoNinja did. I would do the same thing in his situation, but one tenant of SotG is to not keep secrets from judges. Errors like the one AEN found should be reported to the judge. We are supposed to do it in a nice way, but it is against SotG to try to correct errors on your own. Even so, I would do the same thing as AEN.

Just to put my opinion into this thread, I cringe whenever I play against Durant, but it isn't bad. There is certainly feelbad against the deck, but I would rather play against durant than play against a deck where half of my cards do nothing (trainer lock). Durant is my least favorite deck to play against, but I manage to white-knuckle through it.

Zero said:
Just to step in here real quick, it is against Spirit of the Game to do something like what AmishEskimoNinja did. I would do the same thing in his situation, but one tenant of SotG is to not keep secrets from judges. Errors like the one AEN found should be reported to the judge. We are supposed to do it in a nice way, but it is against SotG to try to correct errors on your own. Even so, I would do the same thing as AEN.

Just to put my opinion into this thread, I cringe whenever I play against Durant, but it isn't bad. There is certainly feelbad against the deck, but I would rather play against durant than play against a deck where half of my cards do nothing (trainer lock). Durant is my least favorite deck to play against, but I manage to white-knuckle through it.

And this is how we should deal with Durant. It may not be liked because it is weird but just don't bash it and call it no-skill.

Zero said:

I would think the exact opposite. The spirit of the game is all about fun and competitiveness. Not reporting your opponent for every mistake. Now I could see that it would be against the rules not to report it, but not against the SotG

Zero said:

You misunderstood. Amisheskimoninja (and I) opted not to draw a prize on the prize penalty after the judge issued it. He didn't try to resolve the issue on his own because he knew there would be a prize penalty. Or at least that's what I did. Maybe I misunderstood. ???

AmishEskimoNinja said:
I would think the exact opposite. The spirit of the game is all about fun and competitiveness. Not reporting your opponent for every mistake. Now I could see that it would be against the rules not to report it, but not against the SotG

Quote from the SotG:

SotG said:
Honesty: Players of any game should strive to act honestly while playing that game. If a player inadvertently breaks a rule during a game and becomes aware of the error before his or her opponent or a judge, that player should make the opponent and the judge aware of the misplay.

Perhaps I misunderstood. Not reporting errors is against SotG... just do it nicely. I read it as AEN tried to fix it -- AEN, did you refuse to accept a prize penalty, or try to fix it yourself? :p Either way, I really don't care. I wouldn't report it if I can fix it on my own D:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/organized-play/about/

This will probably be my last post on this thread. Mostly because of henryp's rudeness. Asde from that, yes durant is a very straightfoward deck, and yes I can see how some people dislike it. However, just take the bad matchup. Don't make an entire thread complaining about it.

pokemonjoe said:
This will probably be my last post on this thread. Mostly because of henryp's rudeness. Asde from that, yes durant is a very straightfoward deck, and yes I can see how some people dislike it. However, just take the bad matchup. Don't make an entire thread complaining about it.

Celebi23 said:
This will probably be my last post in this thread, because some people I'm discussing this with seem incapable of understanding the difference between playing the game and playing the game well. Anybody who knows the rules to the game can play the game. Not everybody can play the game well. It takes thinking ahead, planning, strategy modification, resource conservation, etc.

Durant makes that gap between playing and playing well so small it's almost non-existent. Durant uses the same strategy every time, and all the rest of the decks use the same strategy against Durant every time.

For the last time, it's not that Durant is unbeatable or too good of a deck. It's that the times it loses are often because the opponent's opening hand was too strong, not because it was outplayed. In a game like Pokémon, the person who is the better player should come out on top most of the time. That often doesn't happen with Durant. And if you think it does, you probably just haven't played against good Durant decks.
This is what I was talking about. T_T

pokemonjoe said:

It may appear rude but he is just being blunt in expressing his opinion and we should at the very least respect that. I'd rather have him express his opinion straight rather than sugarcoating it but this thread has gone wild now.

You could say this about any deck you don't like or think is unfair.

I'd say somebody just lock this.

As long as discussion is still being generated and nobody is flaming anybody, there's no reason to lock it.

come to think about it durant deck out has realized its promise as opposed to lost zone decks. i know it sucks to lose via deck out but its refreshing that you can win via another avenue.

i hate durant too but it has made cities exciting!

Zero said:
Perhaps I misunderstood. Not reporting errors is against SotG... just do it nicely.

I read it as AEN tried to fix it -- AEN, did you refuse to accept a prize penalty, or try to fix it yourself? :p Either way, I really don't care. I wouldn't report it if I can fix it on my own D:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/organized-play/about/

Basically, I saw the error and did not report it. The opponent simply fixed it. The rule that you pointed at has absolutely nothing to do with the situation. What you posted says if I break a rule, I should report it. That is exactly the SotG as I understand it. What it doesn't say is if your opponent breaks a rule, you should immediately report it. Which is what happened in my case.

Riskbreakers said:
It may appear rude but he is just being blunt in expressing his opinion and we should at the very least respect that. I'd rather have him express his opinion straight rather than sugarcoating it but this thread has gone wild now.
He can be blunt in his opinion, but does he really need to call Durant players bad?

No, he said that if you're a good player, you don't play Durant. There's a difference.

Durant doesn't complement a player's strength of play as much as another deck would, so it's an entirely logical thing to say. If you're a good player, playing Durant gives you much less of an advantage than if you're a bad player who's playing Durant because, yes, it is easier to play effectively than most other decks.

Scizorliscious said:
No, he said that if you're a good player, you don't play Durant. There's a difference.

Durant doesn't complement a player's strength of play as much as another deck would, so it's an entirely logical thing to say. If you're a good player, playing Durant gives you much less of an advantage than if you're a bad player who's playing Durant because, yes, it is easier to play effectively than most other decks.

The only flaw in Henry's statement is that there have been skilled players who actually played Durant. Kenny W, Sami S, Luke R and Jason K being examples. So his statement is a blunt opinion but has holes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back