Future Metagame Speculation Thread

RE: Future Metagame Speculation

Dark Void said:
Can someone explain what exactly makes Emboar Rayquaza better than it was before Plasma Gale? It certainly wasn't viable before Plasma Gale (or maybe it was and nobody played it, but in that case explain why anyone will play it with Plasma Gale out) and so I see no point in this argument unless you can explain why RayBoar is better than it was before, cuz I certainly don't see anything.
I'm not arguing whether or not it will be played. If nobody plays it, perfect, it'll be unexpected. It was good last format, it was just underplayed, and that's part of the reason it didn't do well last format. This format, it still probably won't pick up many wins, because I doubt many people will play it. However, that doesn't mean its not good, which is what I'm arguing.

At this point though, again, why in the world would you ever play it over Blastoise/Black Kyurem EX (although it's much better using BKEX as a secondary attacker)? It's 100% outclassed.

A lack of wins generally represents it not being very good. Granted, it could have just been unpopular, but having tested it myself and actually seen someone use it in a recent tournament (and scrub 2-4) I just think it's bad. The format was too fast for it and it's only speeding up as time goes on.

Blah said:
At this point though, again, why in the world would you ever play it over Blastoise/Black Kyurem EX (although it's much better using BKEX as a secondary attacker)? It's 100% outclassed.

A lack of wins generally represents it not being very good. Granted, it could have just been unpopular, but having tested it myself and actually seen someone use it in a recent tournament (and scrub 2-4) I just think it's bad. The format was too fast for it and it's only speeding up as time goes on.
True, I never really realized how BKEX is the same as Rayquaza, but better. Fair point.

Blah said:
gamercal couldn't have said it better. The reason I don't like the dominating basics is because it ruins the chances of cool and creative cards/decks succeeding at all.

Which also makes it harder for people to get the cards they need to be competitive. With 90% of the cards considered crap, it will basically come down to pulling EXs. If you pull complete crap, good luck trading them for the few cards that have the edge. That means you'll have to spend a crapload of money to get those cards you need. I run into this problem just playing TCGO. I find myself trading all my junk holos for niche cards like blend energy. Then I trade the blends for packs and hope I get something good. By the time I pull an EX, I end up trading that for more packs because I'm all out of things to trade. Fortunately, I don't really care about EXs and usually just play unlimited for more diverse decks, but it is still very frusturating seeing interesting decks being considered "bad".

pokedan24 said:
Blah said:
gamercal couldn't have said it better. The reason I don't like the dominating basics is because it ruins the chances of cool and creative cards/decks succeeding at all.

Which also makes it harder for people to get the cards they need to be competitive. With 90% of the cards considered crap, it will basically come down to pulling EXs. If you pull complete crap, good luck trading them for the few cards that have the edge. That means you'll have to spend a crapload of money to get those cards you need. I run into this problem just playing TCGO. I find myself trading all my junk holos for niche cards like blend energy. Then I trade the blends for packs and hope I get something good. By the time I pull an EX, I end up trading that for more packs because I'm all out of things to trade. Fortunately, I don't really care about EXs and usually just play unlimited for more diverse decks, but it is still very frusturating seeing interesting decks being considered "bad".
Or instead of buying packs spend the money buying the singles you need online. In the case of PTCGO, trade your packs for the cards you need.

People that claim EXes are causing 90% of cards to be unplayable make me want to scream. 90% of cards have always been unplayable. That's called marketing strategy. EXes are just like every other card that did very well in its respective format in that sense. Interesting decks are often bad because the gimmick that makes them interesting is, well, gimmicky, and very often gimmicky means inconsistent and therefore bad. Again. not even remotely the fault of the EXes. The real reason that EXes is ruining the format is not that they are used in almost all decks, but that they all play almost exactly the same and are used in almost all decks. This causes very little playstyle diversity and makes the game easier. I suppose that's what whoever makes the cards wanted to do with the BW sets, and in that case they succeeded.

Dark Void said:
People that claim EXes are causing 90% of cards to be unplayable make me want to scream. 90% of cards have always been unplayable. That's called marketing strategy. EXes are just like every other card that did very well in its respective format in that sense. Interesting decks are often bad because the gimmick that makes them interesting is, well, gimmicky, and very often gimmicky means inconsistent and therefore bad. Again. not even remotely the fault of the EXes. The real reason that EXes is ruining the format is not that they are used in almost all decks, but that they all play almost exactly the same and are used in almost all decks. This causes very little playstyle diversity and makes the game easier. I suppose that's what whoever makes the cards wanted to do with the BW sets, and in that case they succeeded.
I agree to point, in the Midwest region, you will always find a ton of rogues. You will still see decent numbers of popular decks, but I still see Rayboar, Gardevoir, Garbodor and other things on a fairly regular basis

If it's relevant to the metagame (which it is), then yes.

New metagame? What's that? There's nothing new. Just those big basic EXs beatdown decks and auto-pilot stage 2 decks.

does anyone think amoonguss plasma could find its way into a disruption deck with hammers? maybe it's because i'm coming from a mtg background and haven't really played the pokemon tcg at all, shuffling away three cards at random seems like really big game. it also combos with virbank, which is a plus. i just really like the card basically lol.

I was thinking about genesect EX and how I think it'll be the keldeo ex deck of it's time. When Genesect EX comes around next set I think victini ex/plasma infernape would be it's competitor and I think ultimately be better than it. And if the fire based deck will see play so will some sort of water deck. This could possibly set up a "rock-paper-scissors" in the format and maybe some more balance in play.

ryter78 said:
I was thinking about genesect EX and how I think it'll be the keldeo ex deck of it's time. When Genesect EX comes around next set I think victini ex/plasma infernape would be it's competitor and I think ultimately be better than it. And if the fire based deck will see play so will some sort of water deck. This could possibly set up a "rock-paper-scissors" in the format and maybe some more balance in play.

Infernape will never be good. It takes too much time and resources to set up, and it doesn't even do that much damage when it is set up.

It's impossible to say whether Genesect EX will be good or not yet because we don't know the rest of the cards in the set and we don't know what the rotation will be. I do predict Genesect EX seeing play though if it's ever in a format without Catcher. The ability is much clunkier then Catcher is, but if Catcher is gone, it may be player's only option.

Seems legit. [sarcasm]Great idea to print those Ace-Spec tools.[/sarcasm]

Infernape is only good in 4fun decks. If it was a stage 1 maybe it would see some play, but, even then, I'm not so sure

Blah said:
I do predict Genesect EX seeing play though if it's ever in a format without Catcher. The ability is much clunkier then Catcher is, but if Catcher is gone, it may be player's only option.

Yeah, like how every deck used a tech Luxray Lv.X at one point, or was it every deck COULD use Luxray X as a tech.

Or maybe we'll see a Plasma Tank deck. In Megalo-Cannon, Porygon Z has an ability similar to Hydreygon's Ability, but only for Plasma Energys

Which is terrible because you can only have 4 Plasma Energy and if it ever gets good (which it won't, Hydreigon is bad now so why wouldn't P-Z be) Enhanced Hammer murders it.

Back