Media My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

The Fallen One said:
Actually it's gaining ground in Japan. They didn't dub it immediately over there because the animation market is already absolutely flooded (just think about how much anime they have over there), but it gained enough of a cult following to actually get dubbed. I've heard a rumor that they're going to be getting their own pony con soon...

professorlight said:
Is it me or is the first season vastly superior to the other two? I don't know... pinkie was funnier (you can't top "swarm of the century"), the stories focused on the characters, on the lessons and less in "we have to do stuff"... and it wasn't so "let's meet important ponies, mingle with royalty and save the world". The show seems to be leaving behind many of the things that made it unique and becoming more generic... I mean, the end was the main character magically becoming a princess, you don't get more little girl cliche than that... princesses are already all over the place, and those are unworthy of the title.

Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 were different than the second half of Season 2 and Season 3. Why? Lauren Faust was directly working with the show up until they had constructed about half of the Season 2 episodes. Then Megan McCarthy took over as head writer.

I don't think it's necessarily what's "better", it's just that it's different. Season 1 had more even pacing and felt "homelier" in general (in my humble opinion). Towards the end of Season 2 into Season 3 we had a huge shift, where the episodes felt a little more crowded. Basically while there are plenty of funny moments, the episodes feel like they're crammed with material, forcing a climax in the last 5 minutes instead of giving time for the rising action, climax, and falling action.

TL;DR: The later seasons have a different style than Season 1, but that doesn't mean that they're any worse, since that's subject to opinion.

Yeah, I know it's a matter of personal opinion, I just get tired of having to add "this is, of course, my own personal opinion and it doesn't affect in any way your opinion because opinions are subjective" all the time.
But maybe I misspoke saying it was superior, I still love the show, and it's faaaaaaaar away of reaching pokemon levels of suckiness, but the tendency to change in that direction is worrying. Take the songs, for example, most of S2 songs happened in three episodes, the cranky doodle one and the wedding. In S3, most happened in the first episode and the last. S1 had winter wrap up, art of the dress and other great songs. Also, with hasbro, the "lucas syndrome" is never too far away, and it's my understandiing it already altered the series, somewhat. And pinkie! pinkie was never funnier and more random than in season 1, I mean, the ending to the swarm of the century was brilliance, but the other episodes never came close to it, well, except that part in dragon quest when they show the dragon that looks the same as the crappy disguise made by rarity... that was brilliant too.

I've never really been one to criticize a show or movie that didn't insanely disappoint, and with that being said, I've never been a critic with most anything on TV unless it is unbearably stupid. I don't really have a preference of season. I've heard many opinions and viewpoints on many different episodes and shows, and in the end, they've never made much of an impact on me. Even if S1 was better paced and all that, I've never really cared. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong or anything like that, but with me, I'm either entertained, disappointed but okay (neutral) , or not entertained. I've enjoyed the show through all of its quirks and charms, and to me, I've learned to truly enjoy all it has to offer. In a world of crappy reality TV shows and dramas, (you know, as apposed to real TV) I'm glad to have discovered this wonderful show where I thought that animation was going down the tubes. Most importantly, if you think that the show is getting progressively worse, remember the fandom. As much as I love the show and remember its brilliance so fondly, I find that the herd is the best part, what with it's wonderfully kind and caring audience, filled with people with which a simple brohoof, that one gesture of friendship, you both form a strong bond instantly. What I mean by all this is this great piece of art and everything else in life shouldn't be looked upon and analyzed for its imperfections, but merely for its beauty. In the end, the average piece of junk is worth more than the criticism designating it so (yes, that was a paraphrased Ratatouille quote from a very thought provoking ending speech). With that being said, if you wish to enjoy life, I simply suggest finding what makes something great and find comfort in that.

Thanks for your time,
Keldeo EX FTW (^_^)/)(\(^_^)

PS. Season 4 comes out this winter and Equestria Girls came out! Let's spread the Magic of Friendship and keep it alive!

Oh and yes, I think the Pokemon TV show is crappy... *mumble grumble* stupid Ash releasing his Charizard, calling it weak even though it's his strongest pokemon... and that stupid GS ball that lost its existence in a void of pointless, dumb plot twists... *mumble grumble*

PS. Ash is a complete IDIOT! EVOLVE UR MONS ALREADY MAN!!!!!!!

Keldeo EX FTW said:
I've never really been one to criticize a show or movie that didn't insanely disappoint, and with that being said, I've never been a critic with most anything on TV unless it is unbearably stupid. I don't really have a preference of season. I've heard many opinions and viewpoints on many different episodes and shows, and in the end, they've never made much of an impact on me. Even if S1 was better paced and all that, I've never really cared. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong or anything like that, but with me, I'm either entertained, disappointed but okay (neutral) , or not entertained. I've enjoyed the show through all of its quirks and charms, and to me, I've learned to truly enjoy all it has to offer. In a world of crappy reality TV shows and dramas, (you know, as apposed to real TV) I'm glad to have discovered this wonderful show where I thought that animation was going down the tubes. Most importantly, if you think that the show is getting progressively worse, remember the fandom. As much as I love the show and remember its brilliance so fondly, I find that the herd is the best part, what with it's wonderfully kind and caring audience, filled with people with which a simple brohoof, that one gesture of friendship, you both form a strong bond instantly. What I mean by all this is this great piece of art and everything else in life shouldn't be looked upon and analyzed for its imperfections, but merely for its beauty. In the end, the average piece of junk is worth more than the criticism designating it so (yes, that was a paraphrased Ratatouille quote from a very thought provoking ending speech). With that being said, if you wish to enjoy life, I simply suggest finding what makes something great and find comfort in that.

Thanks for your time,

PS. Season 4 comes out this winter and Equestria Girls came out! Let's spread the Magic of Friendship and keep it alive!

Oh and yes, I think the Pokemon TV show is crappy... *mumble grumble* stupid Ash releasing his Charizard, calling it weak even though it's his strongest pokemon... and that stupid GS that lost its existence in a void of pointless, dumb plot twists... *mumble grumble*

Yes. Just Yes. You are a god. I've had it up to here with people saying the newer episodes aren't as great. Imo, every new season just gets better and better! For a fandom that stands for love and tolerance there's an awful lot of cynicism. Brohoof? /)

And I second your opinion on the anime to an extent, even though I still dedicate 30 minutes every Saturday morning to see the newest episode. My biggest complaint about it nowadays is summed up in one word. SUGARCOATED.
And the animation is just so...unbearably...clean. It's so clean it feels cheap. I'm sorry but it just turns me off.
Oddly enough, I still watch it lol...and the Team Plasma arc was really good.

SkyeVictini said:
Keldeo EX FTW said:

Thanks for your time,

Oh and yes, I think the Pokemon TV show is crappy... *mumble grumble* stupid Ash releasing his Charizard, calling it weak even though it's his strongest pokemon... and that stupid GS that lost its existence in a void of pointless, dumb plot twists... *mumble grumble*

Yes. Just Yes. You are a god. I've had it up to here with people saying the newer episodes aren't as great. Imo, every new season just gets better and better! For a fandom that stands for love and tolerance there's an awful lot of cynicism. Brohoof? /)

And I second your opinion on the anime to an extent, even though I still dedicate 30 minutes every Saturday morning to see the newest episode. My biggest complaint about it nowadays is summed up in one word. SUGARCOATED.
And the animation is just so...unbearably...clean. It's so clean it feels cheap. I'm sorry but it just turns me off.

Wow, thanks for that reply man! When I posted that, I thought I'd be bashed by the critics, but I went ahead anyway. I was definitely not expecting to be called a god! I've thought about watching the new pokemon, but I just stopped after the whole Charizard and GS ball thing. I've tried to get back to it in the past, but I just never found it entertaining due to the show's predictability, poorly developed characters, and overall "boringness". If I have time, I'll look up some episodes on youtube (I don't have cable or satellite, just antennae LOL) and see how it is. However, with all this stuff I must do, I might not get to.

Secondly, I do totally agree with the whole MLP thing. To me, its all about the true magic the show has built, being able to captivate an audience was unexpectedly large and older, and of course, with that comes the wonderful friendships we've all built from the basis of liking the same show. I mean, just look at all the buzz this show has created! This thread for one, nearly countless fans, and about 10 times as many fanfics, songs, and artwork! I must say, I've been quite surprised by the number of people who don't really take the episodes' (and movie's) lessons, understand their meanings, and live by it! I wholeheartedly accept and return your brohoof, my good friend. I hope we become great friends! Thank you again for going against others opinions just to tell them what matters to you most. That is a true sign of courage!

Sincerely,
Keldeo EX FTW

PS. I wish I could add this conversation for my signature, but it's too long :(

Oh, and I forgot to mention all the conventions, events, parties, and other forums/chat areas that have also been taking over by the wonderful deliciousness of the show!

Wait, what? People are posting? Can anyone give me a tl;dr of the current conversation?

PMJ said:
Wait, what? People are posting? Can anyone give me a tl;dr of the current conversation?
I asked if anyone else noticed that the second and third season episodes were different from the first, It seems my words were somewhat misunderstood as that I don't like those seasons. That's more or less the gist of these last afterschool specials.

Keldeo EX FTW said:
SkyeVictini said:

Wow, thanks for that reply man! When I posted that, I thought I'd be bashed by the critics, but I went ahead anyway. I was definitely not expecting to be called a god! I've thought about watching the new pokemon, but I just stopped after the whole Charizard and GS ball thing. I've tried to get back to it in the past, but I just never found it entertaining due to the show's predictability, poorly developed characters, and overall "boringness". If I have time, I'll look up some episodes on youtube (I don't have cable or satellite, just antennae LOL) and see how it is. However, with all this stuff I must do, I might not get to.

Secondly, I do totally agree with the whole MLP thing. To me, its all about the true magic the show has built, being able to captivate an audience was unexpectedly large and older, and of course, with that comes the wonderful friendships we've all built from the basis of liking the same show. I mean, just look at all the buzz this show has created! This thread for one, nearly countless fans, and about 10 times as many fanfics, songs, and artwork! I must say, I've been quite surprised by the number of people who don't really take the episodes' (and movie's) lessons, understand their meanings, and live by it! I wholeheartedly accept and return your brohoof, my good friend. I hope we become great friends! Thank you again for going against others opinions just to tell them what matters to you most. That is a true sign of courage!

Sincerely,
Keldeo EX FTW

Oh, and I forgot to mention all the conventions, events, parties, and other forums/chat areas that have also been taking over by the wonderful deliciousness of the show!

Why thank you for your considerate reply! This was probably one of the best conversations I've had in my time in the Pokebeach forums!

As for MLP, I couldn't be more excited for season 4! Have you seen the sneak peek animatics shown at SD Comic-Con? (They're on YouTube) If you don't like spoilers, don't check it out, but I will say that they are beyond epic!!!! November 23! Mark your calendar!

Btw, what is your opinion on alicorn Twilight? I for one think it is awesome that she is an alicorn princess and is one of the most amazing turns any show has gone towards. It shows that MLP:FiM is not afraid of change and that Twilight's character has progressed to her ultimate form. (No pun intended. :p)

SkyeVictini said:
Btw, what is your opinion on alicorn Twilight? I for one think it is awesome that she is an alicorn princess and is one of the most amazing turns any show has gone towards. It shows that MLP:FiM is not afraid of change and that Twilight's character has progressed to her ultimate form. (No pun intended. :p)

At first I hated the idea, because it felt more like something that should happen at the end of the series, but I want to wait and see what they do with her before I form an opinion. We know nothing about where they're going with this, so it's too early to say anything.

SkyeVictini said:
Keldeo EX FTW said:

Sincerely,
Keldeo EX FTW

Why thank you for your considerate reply! This was probably one of the best conversations I've had in my time in the Pokebeach forums!

As for MLP, I couldn't be more excited for season 4! Have you seen the sneak peek animatics shown at SD Comic-Con? (They're on YouTube) If you don't like spoilers, don't check it out, but I will say that they are beyond epic!!!! November 23! Mark your calendar!

I already knew that there were season 4 spoilers out, and even though I hate spoilers, my friend blabbed one to me after I specifically told him not to. Thank you though, for the date of the next episode! I'll have to inform our school brony club :3. Personally, I think the whole Princess Twilight thing is beyond over-hated. Jumping to such a conclusion as to that it is such a dumb move and then quitting the fandom is completely mind boggling IMO. I honestly think that Twilight is incredibly underrated and hated. Everyone I ask as to why they hate her don't give a legitimate response. Instead, they respond with phrases like, "I don't know", or "just because". Twilight didn't do anything to receive the hate and neglect of the world of bronies. Sure, she isn't as funny as the other mane 5, but that doesn't make her a horrible character. She simply is a very logical, hard-working pony who has to deal with the consequences of having companions by making time for them and their problems, while still taking on her vast list of duties in a timely fashion. She kind of reminds me of myself: I always over-think (as most people would consider it) everything I must do and spend hours planning for all the possibilities and strategies for certain situations. I also, like Twilight, easily get wrapped up in other people's problems, try to not let the hectic decision making schedule get to me, and then later on explode, like Twilight in Lesson Zero (IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!!!). Plus, she also coined a couple memes herself, like "HERE COMES TOM!!" and "Clock, is, TICKING!". She also started all the "Dear Princess Celestia" letter parodies. Back to Princess Twilight, I don't understand why some people bash the entire idea of it, calling her "not worthy". On the contrary, she is completely worthy indeed. All the learning, writing, helping, spreading friendship, and all the other tasks she has had to do (banishing King Sombre, reuniting Luna and Celestia, destroying Discord's dastardly plot, and others) she has worked since she was a little filly to receive that rule. The 3rd season finale summed it up. She has come such a long way. I really think that everyone who quit the fandom due to this should rethink what they are doing, what they are abandoning, what they are giving up. The brony community only keeps getting stronger and bigger all the time, the show (and movie) still have the charm, wit, great animation, superb voice acting, and humor that originally kicked off the show Lauren Faust had originally implanted in it. That isn't to say all the episodes are equally enjoyable, there are always occasional flaws here or there, and that is generally the closest anything can get to perfection. I was curious and surprised by the huge step Hasbro took, equal to that of the Mega-Evolutions in X & Y. Being the new and inventive company Hasbro has suddenly become, I think their elite MLP FiM creator staff has something wonderful planned for season 4. After all, Princess Twilight did say at the end of the finale that everything would be just fine. Heck, I've already started referring to Princess Twilight and Twilight as 2 different ponies because I believe this will be another impressive leap forward for Twilight and the name MLP that Hasbro represents.

Gee, I sure like to type, don't I?

With high hopes for season 4,
Keldeo EX FTW

PS. If you want, you could call me the CMC. That is who I am in the club and I'm commonly called that by my brony pals. You could join too if you want. :)

Oh wow, really happy to see a thread such as this! :D

*Jumps up and down like Pinkie Pie*

So what are we discussing? :D

Anyone else think that the ending of Season 3 was horrible and that Twilight got way more attention that she should have gotten?
I mean, giving her alicorn powers just shoves the fact that she is 'best pony'. The show was doing so good in giving everyone in the Mane 6 individual and proper attention, and baam! Twilight gets a huge upgrade... And her friends bow to her! Where did the 'friendship' go, guys? D:
I don't mean to bash on Twilight. I mean, she is great and she IS the main character, but I don't see why she had to get such a huge boost so soon. She should have at least reached King Sombra's level, maybe? The movie did make me okay with her alicorn powers, but expecting a LOT from Season 4. They better bring back the balance of importance in the ponies. :'<

I'm with bolt and pinkie in this, It feels too soon. Supposedly, becoming a princess is something huge, the kind of thing that should happen at the end of the series, and the episode felt rushed (I don't hate it though, I love "a true true friend"), didn't even gave me time to process what was happening, nor gave appropiate time to drive home the pathos of the situation, beyond "everyone is sad".
SYNOPSIS: "what a nice day!> oh, I messed up a spell last night! I casted it without even knowing what it does!> What am I going to do?> FRIENDSHIP> behold, princess twilight sparkle!> credits

That said, we still don't know what being a princess entails, since we have only met three so far (and two are the rulers of equestria), so there's no way to know if the balance between usual shenanigans involving the girls will be altered, but I don't get what's the problem with the rest of the girls bowing in front of twilight, I thought it was really beautiful, and twilight's speech at the end about her friends is a definitive proof that being a princess won't change that, at the very least. So, as long as it's a good plot device, I don't mind so much her being a princess (but I do think her wings are too big for her body, and make her look a little awkward, maybe it's because they were always open).

I Like Pie said:
Oh wow, really happy to see a thread such as this! :D

*Jumps up and down like Pinkie Pie*

So what are we discussing? :D

Anyone else think that the ending of Season 3 was horrible and that Twilight got way more attention that she should have gotten?
I mean, giving her alicorn powers just shoves the fact that she is 'best pony'. The show was doing so good in giving everyone in the Mane 6 individual and proper attention, and baam! Twilight gets a huge upgrade... And her friends bow to her! Where did the 'friendship' go, guys? D:
I don't mean to bash on Twilight. I mean, she is great and she IS the main character, but I don't see why she had to get such a huge boost so soon. She should have at least reached King Sombra's level, maybe? The movie did make me okay with her alicorn powers, but expecting a LOT from Season 4. They better bring back the balance of importance in the ponies. :'<

I don't get what you mean by the friendship disappearing. Honestly, all of the characters still have an equal focus, but Twilight simply got "upgraded" to a rule she deserved. I've gotten really tired and annoyed of people dissing the series for making an interesting turnaround. Just because something changes doesn't automatically mean that is in a bad direction. Simply put, I think that a large portion of the fans have forgotten about the true importance of the show and that by arguing and criticizing seasons and episodes, they themselves have lost their once firm grasp on the magic of friendship and for what the show stands for. Additionally, you did kind of kill the thread, not to sound angry, and I don't feel like partying right now. Sorry. Also, if you care to here my opinions and reasons for many of the questions and statements in this posts, then check my posts above (if you really wanted to know what we were chatting about, a person with the magic of friendship would have been courteous as not to barge in and interrupt the chat). I don't mean to make you sound like a bad person with a wrong opinion or anything, but I seriously can't stand it anymore that so many people have stopped caring (or never cared) about the lessons taught in the episodes. I've always taken them to heart, and they have helped form me into a better person. MLP was there last year when I needed it. Season 3 was there every Saturday to help me get through what seemed like a hopeless point in my life. I barely had anything to look forward too, not much entertainment or even time for it, so much on my schedule, so little time, and everyone pressuring me to finish it all well. Let's just say it was a poor year, and had it not been for MLP to cheer me on, I wouldn't have pushed on harder. Sure, there are flaws here or there in the episodes and such, but so does everything else. Most of the complaints I've heard about the show are barely feasible as reasons. I miss those good old days of bronies getting together and talking about what about the show had made a positive impact on their life. I personally find every episode of MLP FiM, including the movie, enjoyable. All may have flaws, be different and whatnot, but each is unique. What I've never understood is why so many people create their own definition of what a show or episode should be like, which applies for pretty much all other popular shows that have developed a strong following of fans, not just MLP. Though your asking where the friendship is in the show, I ask you where it is in the brony community? What does arguing over little flaws do to help improve anyone's lives? Again, I apologize if I sound harsh, but I'm going to enjoy season 4 with all my friends that don't question the show and its occasional imperfections like I did with Equestria Girls. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome.

See ya later,
Keldeo EX FTW

I thought Magical Mystery Cure was a great episode. I still get all the songs stuck in my head and memorized all the lyrics! (To every song in the series actually XD) Please don't get me started on Celestia's Ballad. Gives me friggin' goosebumps every time. :,D

Oh and btw, Meghan McCarthy herself said that even though Twilight is now an alicorn princess, she is staying her adorkable self. So she has wings and is slightly taller, so what? I like wings. (heck, my pony OC is a Pegasus. I'd rather fly than do magic. ;))

Oh, and I don't care what anyone says, MLP has shown so many meaningful lessons in the ways of friendship and has helped produce such great bonds with my other brony friends, that I've cried multiple times while re-watching episodes and reflecting on the impact the lessons and the show in general has had and will continue to have on my life. The way people nitpick over the plot and whatnot does the opposite of justice for what it has been teaching us. Call me a wimp, a cry baby, a softie, I don't care because I am proud to have the honor of being able to have stumbled upon this great golden beacon of new life in an era of crappy "entertainment". Go on and complain about MLP's flaws, but while you do, consider the fact of how your life would be if you hadn't ever seen this show or if it had never existed. Its incredibly long list of positives intensely outweighs the little details you all pick over. It needed to be said.

Serving perspective for you all,

Keldeo EX FTW

True True Friend and Smile Smile Smile stirred up a wonderful experience I had never gotten until then, and I still get that feeling every time I watch it! :' ) Seriously though, the music created for MLP has an astonishingly strong way of creating a mood (Celestia's Ballad and above mentioned songs are excellent examples). And the whole adorkable self thing is what I was saying earlier when I had mentioned Twilight said that everything is going to be just fine.

Signing off again,
Keldeo EX FTW

Isn't that right Squidward? http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_75335&feature=iv&src_vid=AmKvuFxXxRU&v=fcoCCoTpST4

Exactly. Its just a cartoon guys. An incredibly colorful, beautiful, deep, emotional, 3-dimensional cartoon.

On an unrelated note, Bonnie reminds me of Sweetie Belle for some reason, maybe cause of the little sister role. I dunno, I just see her to be like Sweetie Belle, minus the singing thing.

SkyeVictini said:
Exactly. Its just a cartoon guys. An incredibly colorful, beautiful, deep, emotional, 3-dimensional cartoon.

On an unrelated note, Bonnie reminds me of Sweetie Belle for some reason, maybe cause of the little sister role. I dunno, I just see her to be like Sweetie Belle, minus the singing thing.

Bonnie from Toy Story 3?

Well said, too!

No, Bonnie, Clemont's sister from X and Y. She's gonna be in the anime. For some reason I see Sweetie Belle personality-wise in her even though they look nothing alike.

Holy Celestia. 61 more days till season 4 guys!

Is anyone following Equestria Daily? They're doing 66 Days of Pony where you watch every episode in chronological order (one per day), including Equestria Girls up until the season premiere! Today's episode is Griffon the Brush-Off.

Bolt the Cat said:
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/09/game-developer-wayforward-wants-to-do.html

Oh yes, please!

I'll take a serious, well developed RPG, please.
For PC and consoles, of course, no more short flash games or shitty mobile microgames.
This series has ALL the potential to make a great RPG, roguelike and more (not a shooter or fighting game, though) with good story, character development, gameplay, enemies, etc. Hell, I've even found this:

MLP: FIM RPG (boy, that's a big acronym)

Hopefully the big adult audience will steer the developers into a less "6 year old girl games" direction and into a more decent game.

Back