Media My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

professorlight said:
I'll take a serious, well developed RPG, please.
For PC and consoles, of course, no more short flash games or shitty mobile microgames.
This series has ALL the potential to make a great RPG, roguelike and more (not a shooter or fighting game, though) with good story, character development, gameplay, enemies, etc. Hell, I've even found this:

MLP: FIM RPG (boy, that's a big acronym)

Hopefully the big adult audience will steer the developers into a less "6 year old girl games" direction and into a more decent game.

RPG is fine by me, but I'd rather have something along the lines of an action/adventure or platformer, that seems like it would be a tad more natural to the series.

Bolt the Cat said:
professorlight said:
I'll take a serious, well developed RPG, please.
For PC and consoles, of course, no more short flash games or shitty mobile microgames.
This series has ALL the potential to make a great RPG, roguelike and more (not a shooter or fighting game, though) with good story, character development, gameplay, enemies, etc. Hell, I've even found this:

MLP: FIM RPG (boy, that's a big acronym)

Hopefully the big adult audience will steer the developers into a less "6 year old girl games" direction and into a more decent game.

RPG is fine by me, but I'd rather have something along the lines of an action/adventure or platformer, that seems like it would be a tad more natural to the series.

How? action/adventure games feature a lot of action and a fast paced story, while MLP has plots that are resolved mainly through words, which is one of the characteristics of an RPG (some others being several main characters, conversation trees, several special abilities or perks, some enemies, large parts without combat, etc). Try it, watch any episode and try to imagine how it would be as an RPG level, then as an adventure game, then tell me which one fits best.

I'm serious, tell me; with all the hibridization of genres going on lately, I can't be positively sure any genre is completly out of the question... look at the android game, it's a goddamn city builder, a kids story about six friends and friendship became a city builder... how can that even happen? evidently it was easier to make, same with platformers and fighting games in PC, but it does not seem what the MLP universe calls for.

An example that comes to mind are the winx club games: same conditions, a young girls/teen show that was basically harry potter+fairies+fashion and glittery shit (wasn't as bad as it sounds, the first seasons, at least).
It got several games:
-the first was a sort-of-decent RPG, for GBA, PS2 and PC, about the first season of the show. Lots of potential wasted, going in a dumbed down "easier to understand and play" direction, but at least it wasn't your usual game for that market.
-the second was a side scroller, you fly and hit things, and can change between any of the six characters with their unique abilities, which didn't affect gameplay. There were also some minigames, I think.
-the third was the same as the second, but with even less story, only one playable character (I think) and more minigames
-then a bunch of secret diarys, and other assorted minigame crap.
-and aparently there's a fourth one I just found out about, again, a "fly and shoot" for android, Iphone and Ipad, this time in a 3d environment.

Notice a trend there? games oriented to girls tend to be much more dumbed down and shoehorned into genres that are not supported by the source material, I'm sick as f*** of that, and that's what I'm worried about here: those kinds of games have to come after the appropiate genre games are successful. There'll be time to do MLP: FIM: hooves racing or MLP: brawl is magic, but first they must do MLP: the game, and do it well.

I must say that I am currently playing the MLP iPhone game and I am simply hooked on it. Sure, its a simple city builder, but I find it so addicting, mainly because you get daily bonuses for each continuous day you play and I can't get enough of building up my Ponyville (probably because I'm a collector in real life - with Pokemon stuff.) And, its very fan-friendly with a lot of popular ponies like DJ-Pon3, Octavia, Lyra, Bon Bon, etc.

But yeah, there is really a bunch load of potential for an MLP video game, I'm on the hopes for an rpg. And I totally agree that video games targeted towards only girls are dumbed down. They really don't think that girls can handle the same kind of depth do they? Imo, anyone who dumbs down anything targeted towards girls just for the sake of making money is an idiot. Not all girls only like fashion and stuff. It used to be that you sold a product to make it memorable in hopes of making money, but nowadays they make money in the hopes that the product is memorable. I mean, look at G3. I mean no offense to any people who happened to be fans of MLP in the before time but compared to FiM, G3 was terrifyingly dumb and was nothing but pink and rainbows and tea parties all around. I'm a girl and I never got into MLP when I was a kid. (Actually, I was far too old to get into G3 anyway when it first came out lol.)

TL;DR I'm really not much of a gamer outside Pokemon and the occaisional Mario game, but I really hope they don't go the same path as some aforementioned video games targeted to girls.

SkyeVictini said:
I must say that I am currently playing the MLP iPhone game and I am simply hooked on it. Sure, its a simple city builder, but I find it so addicting, mainly because you get daily bonuses for each continuous day you play and I can't get enough of building up my Ponyville (probably because I'm a collector in real life - with Pokemon stuff.) And, its very fan-friendly with a lot of popular ponies like DJ-Pon3, Octavia, Lyra, Bon Bon, etc.

But yeah, there is really a bunch load of potential for an MLP video game, I'm on the hopes for an rpg. And I totally agree that video games targeted towards only girls are dumbed down. They really don't think that girls can handle the same kind of depth do they? Imo, anyone who dumbs down anything targeted towards girls just for the sake of making money is an idiot. Not all girls only like fashion and stuff. It used to be that you sold a product to make it memorable in hopes of making money, but nowadays they make money in the hopes that the product is memorable. I mean, look at G3. I mean no offense to any people who happened to be fans of MLP in the before time but compared to FiM, G3 was terrifyingly dumb and was nothing but pink and rainbows and tea parties all around. I'm a girl and I never got into MLP when I was a kid. (Actually, I was far too old to get into G3 anyway when it first came out lol.)

TL;DR I'm really not much of a gamer outside Pokemon and the occaisional Mario game, but I really hope they don't go the same path as some aforementioned video games targeted to girls.

Exactly that. I never got into MLP when I was little, so I was surprised when I found out how good this MLP was, I hope they continue that philosophy with future videogames.

You said you are not a gamer outside of pokemon and some mario, why do you think is that for? you were never attracted to any other videogame? you see, I don't think the sptupidity on girls games is only because the industry is sexist (and, oh boy it is) but it also has to do with the fact that, and I hope I don't offend anyone, girls don't ask for better games and instead play with whatever casual/boyfriend/fashion/gossip/secret diary/dating flash/cheap shit the developers "graciously" thow at them, or don't play games at all.
I never liked those games, and I've tried them. The only one of those I play is the sims, and that's only because design and fashion. But today, there are many games that, without being specifically marketed or themed around women, are still good to be played by them, since they are not (fully) male-oriented and they don't (completely and overtly) objectify women.

1379907_530510087044012_596696518_n.jpg

Pack art for the new CCG in Nov.

Wow, that is some sweet pack cover art! I also agree with professorlight there both regarding how surprised we were when we discovered the greatness of the new MLP and how little effort is put into a load of videogames, not just girls games (although they receive the crap factor the most). Although I know I'm going to start an insane war against myself here, I think that Minecraft is overrated out of proportion. It has no story what so ever, the graphics are crappy with no reason (it's not like they couldn't use better graphics and they don't give a nostalgic feel due to the 3-D), the controls take a bit of getting used to (there aren't any instructions in the game), it is annoying having to figure out the placement of items to craft something (due to the many versions of the game), and the simple gameplay, though it can be fun, doesn't deserve all the praise it gets. I absolutely hate that the completely non-existent "Herobrine" got a place on the top 50 video game villains list in the Guinness Book of Gaming (I think 2014) and that creeper placed within the top ten (or somewhere high up there). I mean, it's a walking green rectangular prism with block feet, a crudely drawn frownie face, and it explodes. Gee, sounds like a TOTALLY NEW IDEA!! I'VE NEVER SEEN ANY OTHER ENEMIES IN VIDEOGAMES EXPLODE, AND I BET IF THERE WERE ANY, NONE WOULD BE MORE CLEVER OR FUN THAN CREEPERS LOLZ! (*cough* Bob-bombs and fifty million other examples *cough*) I also really don't get why being able to see the horridly pixilated 3-D on a large TV via X-Box would be any more preferable. I'm never the one to complain about graphics, but SERIOUSLY!? 3-D SUPER BLOCKY CUBES THAT CAN BE BROKEN DOWN INTO EVEN SMALLER BLOCKS!? It's just annoying to look at, and what with having no story (every videogame should have one), I was hoping that the graphics would at least be decent, but NOPE!! To be honest, the version of this game I enjoy most is pocket edition. Yeah! The version with few features is my FAVORITE!! I simply find it easier to pick up, learn quickly, and go on wacky adventures, but in the end, I still only like Minecraft for an occasional play, unlike its many over-enthusiastic, easily pleased, and/or simple minded (not to offend) who spend many hours daily wasting their time away hoping to find paper thin diamonds they'll never be able to exchange for cash in real life. In conclusion, Minecraft isn't the worst game of all time, but possibly one of the most overrated. WHY DOES A GAME LIKE THIS GET SO MUCH ATTENTION WHILE LUIGI'S MANSION AND THE EARTHBOUND/MOTHER SERIES IS SO UNKNOWN TO MOST PEOPLE?????!!!!!

Sorry for getting so hyper,

Keldeo EX FTW

Keldeo EX FTW said:
In conclusion, Minecraft isn't the worst game of all time, but possibly one of the most overrated. WHY DOES A GAME LIKE THIS GET SO MUCH ATTENTION WHILE LUIGI'S MANSION AND THE EARTHBOUND/MOTHER SERIES IS SO UNKNOWN TO MOST PEOPLE??!!!!!

Sorry for getting so hyper,

Keldeo EX FTW

Wow, you really are one heck of a ranter! I must agree that there are some games out there that are really overrated and many that really need a share of the limelight. Luigi's Mansion is in fact an awesome game (Luigi is best Mario Bro.!), but imo, Super Mario Sunshine should have been in the spotlight more than it was. I have been dying for them to release a sequel of that epic game for years and the day they do, I shall do 50 happy dances. And I desperately wish that the Pokémon series got as much attention in America as Call of Duty and the new GTA V. WHY CAN'T IT BE AS BIG AS IT IS IN JAPAN??? DX They have Pokémon Centers, Pokémon GetTV and 80,000 times more merchandise than in America!

But before we get in trouble for getting off topic, I shall end with something pony-related.
Happy Applejack Appreciation Day everypony!
PS: 53 MORE DAYS TILL SEASON 4!! :D

PPS: Happy Early Birthday Keldeo EX FTW! ;)

Back on topic, Applejack Appreciation Day was started last year by Calpain, an ex-staff member of EQD. He decided on October 1st due to it reminding him of the season for cider, apples, and donut holes back in Michigan, his home state.
Calpain asked for art, music, plushies, stories, etc. that feature the titular cow-girl-horse, and thus, this gallery was created.

Yay big Derpy! I'm probably the most like her in terms of personality. Goofy, clumsy and innocent.

Anywho, sorry things got way too off topic over the past day.
sticker,375x360.png

Likewise. :p

I'm growing impatient with this thread. I know there is a lot of good material to discuss, so please stay on topic so that this thread can stay open :)

Keeping some type of discussion going, even though everyone and their family is in the XY leaks thread, LOGOtv will be showing the Bronycon documentary Oct 14 at 10PM EST. If you want to see it, and not buy it or use other methods (which will NOT be discussed here as per Pokebeach's rules) tune in then.

Also, for those in or nearby Northeast Ohio and can't go or don't want to go to Bronycon, Canterlot Gardens is holding a fundraiser on indiegogo to prepare for next year's possible event. I checked the status and there's $1500 pledged out of the required $16,000 (!) for the con to even happen. This is the time to secure some cheapo admission rates and help make this a reality! Last year's CG was an absolutely amazing convention and was the true polar opposite of Las Pegasus Unicon (for first-time run conventions). It was pretty successful, drawing in an attendance of 3000 people and community/show guests. Will add the link to the campaign shortly. /shamelessconadvertising Indiegogo Campaign

The-Kaiser said:
1379907_530510087044012_596696518_n.jpg

Pack art for the new CCG in Nov.

Can anyone link me to details involving this? I've heard news about it on and off, but I still don't really have a concrete idea of what it is.

Cobalt Phoenix said:
Keeping some type of discussion going, even though everyone and their family is in the XY leaks thread, LOGOtv will be showing the Bronycon documentary Oct 14 at 10PM EST. If you want to see it, and not buy it or use other methods (which will NOT be discussed here as per Pokebeach's rules) tune in then.
don't watch the brony documentary. it's horrendous and dumb

Zenith said:
Cobalt Phoenix said:
don't watch the brony documentary. it's horrendous and dumb

Why? Does it only show the perverts?

Zenith said:
just read this, it sums up my feelings pretty well

Thanks, it sums my feelings too. I had noticed that about the bronies before, all that is mentioned in that article. And there is certainly a lot of people who are just taking stuff too seriously but at the same time don't give what they like any thought, any effort for understanding it.
In other forum I've been you can't even mention ponies, they collectively forbid it, and I don't think that is without a reason, but whatever happened, it happened before I started reading.

EDIT: now I found out they have a MLP FIM thread too, and it apparently went through the exact same stuff this thread did a long time ago. Why all the MLP threads follow the same path?

That might be a discussion-worthy topic, perhaps? given that the mods apparently watch this thread like hawks...

Or griffons.

More info on the CCG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCAkX46HiJA

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/08/all-cards-from-mlp-ccg-event-at-gencon.html

SkyeVictini said:
Everypony, check out the new banner on Equestria Daily! You will be very pleasantly surprised!

Pleasepleaseplease, GF, pony pokemon, you know you want to...

Not rapidash, though, brand. new.

Lauren faust, send masuda a video, you convinced the bronies, you can convince him.

Back