TCG Fakes Neo Redux: A Triumphant Return? (Image Based) // Gee, you're big.

RE: Neo Redux: I'm not dead! UPDATE: Promos! Get your promos here! 18 new cards!

Those cards look awesome. :D

I was checking them, just some of them, and Tyrantrum's Pokémon Power has a mistake there, it says "Tyantrum". Looks like no one saw it or something. :D

RE: Neo Redux: I'm not dead! UPDATE: Promos! Get your promos here! 18 new cards!

I always liked the style of the dream world arts, and I really like how you've used them with your neo-style cards :) I guess the only minor criticism is that they're all very similar, but then again there's no better way that I'd suggest.

[align=justify]
Eron said:
Those cards look awesome. :D

I was checking them, just some of them, and Tyrantrum's Pokémon Power has a mistake there, it says "Tyantrum". Looks like no one saw it or something. :D
Thanks for catching that! Will edit ASAP.

rev3rsor said:
I always liked the style of the dream world arts, and I really like how you've used them with your neo-style cards :) I guess the only minor criticism is that they're all very similar, but then again there's no better way that I'd suggest.
Haha yeah, they're similar, but they're meant to be. I'm a sucker for completion, and if it takes 18 of the same thing to complete a set...well, at least there's pretty colors!

Sorry about the lack of updates, guys. I'm handling most of the Kalos Pokémon spoilers (only have about 15 left to complete), but I'd love suggestions for attacks/Powers for the Mega Pokémon. If you'd like to help, feel free to PM me!

Also, considering I have the completed spoilers for most of the remaining Pokémon, I'd like to gauge interest in me posting them as text fakes, at least for the time being. That way any balance issues can be corrected before turning them into image fakes. Thoughts?

RE: Neo Redux: I'm not dead! UPDATE: Help a brother out!

I definitely like the idea of seeing the text card posted first and then the images. This will give us an early taste of what to expect in the finished product.

I agree with IA. Seeing them as text first would be exciting enough for the time being anyway. ;)

Will you keep your Mega mechanic or are you using the official one, CMP?

Bring on those text fakes!

Zygarde said:
Will you keep your Mega mechanic or are you using the official one, CMP?

Bring on those text fakes!
Keeping my mechanic for the time being. The official one bears too many rules to plaster over the card and would be a bit troublesome to work into Neo-era, methinks.

I've never posted text fakes before, and I tend to write my spoilers differently (and especially not with this type of formatting), but here are Bunnelby and Diggersby...

[Basic Pokémon] Bunnelby 40 HP [C]
bunnelby.gif

Digging Pokémon Length: 1'4", Weight: 11 lbs

[C] Ear Scoop 10

[C][C] Tunneling 20
If your opponent has any Benched Pokémon, he or she chooses 1 of them and switches it with his or her Active Pokémon, then, if you have any Benched Pokémon, you switch 1 of them with your Active Pokémon. (Do the damage before switching the Pokémon.)

Weakness: [F]
Resistance: [Gh] -30
Retreat: [C]

They use their large ears to dig burrows. They will dig the whole night through. LV.12 #659
[Stage 1 Pokémon] Diggersby 80 HP [C]
diggersby.gif

Digging Pokémon Length: 3'3", Weight: 94 lbs

[C][C] Dig 20
If Diggersby has any [Gd] Energy cards attached to it, flip a coin. If heads, during your opponent’s next turn, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to Diggersby.

[C][C][C] Ear Excavation 30
Flip 2 coins. For each heads, discard 1 Energy card attached to the Defending Pokémon.

Weakness: [F]
Resistance: [L] -30
Retreat: [C][C]

As powerful as an excavator, its ears can reduce dense bedrock to rubble. When it's finished digging, it lounges lazily. LV.26 #660
Pretty much your basic rodent cards. As with the other Normal/[Secondary] cards, there will be a faint overlay of the Ground-type blank on Diggersby (see: Bibarel). I apologize that the first text fakes I post are so...boring...but hey, better than no cards, right?

...right?

RE: Neo Redux: I'm not dead! UPDATE: Help a bro out! [Bunnel/Diggers]by spoilers posted.

^Good idea. That way, once you get the pictures you want, you can do the cards on your Neo Redux blanks. And as you said, they're better than no cards.

RE: Neo Redux: I'm not dead! UPDATE: Are MEGAS coming?

I gotta give text-based fakers respect -- formatting the spoilers was a pain! I'm tempted to just post them as I've written them (that is to say, not very detailed and not very pretty).

It's late, but expect something big tomorrow morning! Bigger than another text update, at least.

RE: Neo Redux: I'm not dead! UPDATE: This is MEGA cool!

Alright, guys...it's been a long time coming, but with some help from GadgetJax, I present to you...
Megavenusaur.png
Megacharizardy.png
Megacharizardx.png
Megablastoise.png

Mega Kanto Pokémon!

As I've discussed with some of you, finding a power balance has been tough when adapting Megas to the Neo-era. Firstly, there's the Mega Evolution rule which I've adopted from the existing cards, which means your turn ends when you Evolve and your opponent takes 2 Prizes upon KO, and secondly, some Megas are essentially Stage 1 Pokémon, others Stage 2, while some (like the starters), are essentially Stage 3 Pokémon. Ergo, they need a pretty remarkable power level to justify all the caveats about them.

I may yet alter the power level, depending on your thoughts.

Megaampharos.png

Comments, critiques, etc. are greatly appreciated! Judging by the silence, I hope that means the power level is appropriate? ;)

I was originally going to make M. Ampharos a Dragon-type (as I did M. Charizard X), but I figured utilizing its primary type here was a better fit, as Dragon was simply helpful to differentiate between the two Charizard Megas (for the same reason, M. Mewtwo X will likely be Fighting-type). Plus, of the currently known Megas, the only other Electric-type is Manectric -- while M. Garchomp, and M. Lati@s will all be Dragon-types in Redux.For the record, I'm planning on a Grass-type Sceptile too.

CMP said:
Megaampharos.png

Comments, critiques, etc. are greatly appreciated! Judging by the silence, I hope that means the power level is appropriate? ;)

I was originally going to make M. Ampharos a Dragon-type (as I did M. Charizard X), but I figured utilizing its primary type here was a better fit, as Dragon was simply helpful to differentiate between the two Charizard Megas (for the same reason, M. Mewtwo X will likely be Fighting-type). Plus, of the currently known Megas, the only other Electric-type is Manectric -- while M. Garchomp, and M. Lati@s will all be Dragon-types in Redux.For the record, I'm planning on a Grass-type Sceptile too.

Thank goodness that you didn't accidentily take my idea... phew...

RE: Neo Redux: I'm not dead! UPDATE: This is MEGA cool(er)!

I like how these Pokémon are creative but not insanely OP

put Mewtwo EX in this format, wreck everything

Those megas are really cool, great job! I might be a little out of touch with Neo-era power levels, but they look pretty balanced to me.

I'd have put the rulebox over the dex area at the bottom CMP, as the dex box isn't necessary for MEGA's tbh; would give you more text room as well keeping in line with the classic/neo/gym layout's :)

They do look authentic though, keeping with the era they are.

If nobody else is going to comment about their power, allow me:
Considering they have the downsides of both mega evolution and Pokémon EX and the fact that they're essentially stage 3, they strike me as sort of underpowered, actually. These things seem almost impossible to get out and you give your opponent a free turn when you play them and an extra prize for taking one down. Take Ampharos for example, if it survives for 4 turns, it does a total of 180 damage, plus 60 if your opponent attaches an energy each turn. Divided over 4 turns means 60 per turn, divided by 2 because the mega counts as 2 Pokémon is roughly 30 per Poké-turn (which is a unit I just invented but sounds fitting). That's weak, even for 2 energies per Pokémon (if you consider the EX-effect as turning it into 2 separate Pokémon), especially considering you don't have full control over 7.5 of that 30 damage (and it's not even guaranteed) and that we're dealing with an incredibly hard to get out stage 3 (you need at least 4 turns before you can even start attacking if you have all the right cards (basic, breeder, stage 2, mega, and 4 energies)). Some of the others seem a bit better in that they would give you a pretty devastating monster once you do get them out, but they might still be too underpowered considering the effort required and the deck space needed to play one of these, as well as the huge penalties associated with them.

That's always the problem with the Pokémon EX: they sort of need to be broken to be usable. When ex-Ruby and Sapphire came out, it included some horribly underpowered ex's, it wasn't until ex-Sandstorm that we got cards like Gardevoir ex which dealt enough damage to be viable. But Gardevoir ex was VERY overpowered, and it was only a stage 2 and didn't require a turn skip.

I think taking away the level EX effect (which always rubbed me as being against the spirit of what prizes were supposed to signify, but that's just my own silly opinion) without changing anything else might actually make them usable, but probably still not broken. You can always add that it needs to be your active Pokémon or something if you fear they'll be too overpowered, although that would again greatly diminish their viability. Maybe let them use the attacks and powers of the Pokémon underneath as well?

I'm not sure I understand Venusaur's effect. Shouldn't it be something along the lines of "[...] Put 1 damage counter plus 3 more for each (Po) energy discarded in this way instead of 1 on the Defending Pokémon between turns."? Although something like "[...] Put 3 damage counters for each (Po) energy discarded in this way instead of 1 on the Defending Pokémon between turns," looks neater without really making the effect any worse. Unless you really wanted to introduced an unnamed new special condition?

And I agree with Asche, the Mega box can probably replace the Pokédex entry. The Megas don't really have separate dex entries and it would give you a bit more wiggle room.

Other than that: these look great, the effects seem very fitting and the art you selected actually makes these Megas look kind of neat. Apologies for the long post.

GadgetJax said:
The joy of faking: the possibilities are endless!

Reggie McGigas said:

Thanks Reg. Although they may be significantly underpowered from the looks of things!

bowlerdude04 said:
Those megas are really cool, great job! I might be a little out of touch with Neo-era power levels, but they look pretty balanced to me.
Thanks man.

aschefield101 said:
I'd have put the rulebox over the dex area at the bottom CMP, as the dex box isn't necessary for MEGA's tbh; would give you more text room as well keeping in line with the classic/neo/gym layout's :)

Thanks, asche! Placement of the rule box was something I played around with before I released the Mega Blaziken promo. I had tried replacing the 'dex box as it stands (the bar), and it looked terribly out-of-place, unbalanced, and just plain bad. Oddly, it never occurred to me to try it Gym-style, as I had done for my dual-type promos -- probably just laziness on my part, to be honest! Plus, it was fun coming up with the individual 'dex entries (and I think it helped my justify the "Mega Pokémon are actual, real, honest-to-God new Pokémon...we swear!" mentality that Gamefreak seems to have). Considering I only have about 5 actually completed, I'll give the alternate layout a shot.

Heavenly Spoon said:
Considering they have the downsides of both mega evolution and Pokémon EX and the fact that they're essentially stage 3, they strike me as sort of underpowered, actually. These things seem almost impossible to get out and you give your opponent a free turn when you play them and an extra prize for taking one down. Take Ampharos for example, if it survives for 4 turns, it does a total of 180 damage, plus 60 if your opponent attaches an energy each turn. Divided over 4 turns means 60 per turn, divided by 2 because the mega counts as 2 Pokémon is roughly 30 per Poké-turn (which is a unit I just invented but sounds fitting). That's weak, even for 2 energies per Pokémon (if you consider the EX-effect as turning it into 2 separate Pokémon), especially considering you don't have full control over 7.5 of that 30 damage (and it's not even guaranteed) and that we're dealing with an incredibly hard to get out stage 3 (you need at least 4 turns before you can even start attacking if you have all the right cards (basic, breeder, stage 2, mega, and 4 energies)). Some of the others seem a bit better in that they would give you a pretty devastating monster once you do get them out, but they might still be too underpowered considering the effort required and the deck space needed to play one of these, as well as the huge penalties associated with them.

That's always the problem with the Pokémon EX: they sort of need to be broken to be usable. When ex-Ruby and Sapphire came out, it included some horribly underpowered ex's, it wasn't until ex-Sandstorm that we got cards like Gardevoir ex which dealt enough damage to be viable. But Gardevoir ex was VERY overpowered, and it was only a stage 2 and didn't require a turn skip.

I think taking away the level EX effect (which always rubbed me as being against the spirit of what prizes were supposed to signify, but that's just my own silly opinion) without changing anything else might actually make them usable, but probably still not broken. You can always add that it needs to be your active Pokémon or something if you fear they'll be too overpowered, although that would again greatly diminish their viability. Maybe let them use the attacks and powers of the Pokémon underneath as well?

I'm not sure I understand Venusaur's effect. Shouldn't it be something along the lines of "[...] Put 1 damage counter plus 3 more for each (Po) energy discarded in this way instead of 1 on the Defending Pokémon between turns."? Although something like "[...] Put 3 damage counters for each (Po) energy discarded in this way instead of 1 on the Defending Pokémon between turns," looks neater without really making the effect any worse. Unless you really wanted to introduced an unnamed new special condition?

And I agree with Asche, the Mega box can probably replace the Pokédex entry. The Megas don't really have separate dex entries and it would give you a bit more wiggle room.

Other than that: these look great, the effects seem very fitting and the art you selected actually makes these Megas look kind of neat. Apologies for the long post.
Absolutely the post I was looking for...no need to apologize for the length, Spoon! Do you think I would be better off with the original rule..."

GadgetJax said:
The joy of faking: the possibilities are endless!

Reggie McGigas said:

Thanks Reg. Although they may be significantly underpowered from the looks of things!

bowlerdude04 said:
Thanks man.

aschefield101 said:

Thanks, asche! Placement of the rule box was something I played around with before I released the Mega Blaziken promo. I had tried replacing the 'dex box as it stands (the bar), and it looked terribly out-of-place, unbalanced, and just plain bad. Oddly, it never occurred to me to try it Gym-style, as I had done for my dual-type promos -- probably just laziness on my part, to be honest! Plus, it was fun coming up with the individual 'dex entries (and I think it helped my justify the "Mega Pokémon are actual, real, honest-to-God new Pokémon...we swear!" mentality that Gamefreak seems to have). Considering I only have about 5 actually completed, I'll give the alternate layout a shot.

Heavenly Spoon said:

Absolutely the post I was looking for...no need to apologize for the length, Spoon! Do you think I would be better off with a rule more similar to LV. X, then? Must be Active to evolve, can use previous level's attacks? Lacks the 2 Prize drawback and turn skip...and really, LV. X seem to be more in line with what Mega Evolution is in-game, anyway. It would probably help with Ampharos' underpower a bit, too.

Regarding Venusaur, it was a copy/paste from Beedrill Neo Discovery. However, I replaced 'it' in the last sentence with 'Defending Pokémon' for clarification, and in highlighting parts to overwrite, I must've replaced the 'instead of 1' part as well. It'll be fixed once I decide on how best to edit the blank/rule -- thanks for catching it!

Yeah, they are a bit underpowered. I'm out of touch with Gen II power level, but Mega Charizard X seems to be the only one not too underpowered. It can paralyze and burn if both coins are tails. Maybe mega legendaries like Mewtwo, Lati@s, and Diancie will be more OP.

Back