Pokemon Strange-looking Pokemon

Bug types are usually nowhere near as amazing looking as their real-world inspirations, which always disappoints me. There's a few partial exceptions, like Yanmega, Durant, Paras and Galvantula, but some are way too anthropomorphic. Hardly any bug types even have mandibles or compound eyes! :/

Bogleech said:
Bug types are usually nowhere near as amazing looking as their real-world inspirations, which always disappoints me. There's a few partial exceptions, like Yanmega, Durant, Paras and Galvantula, but some are way too anthropomorphic. Hardly any bug types even have mandibles or compound eyes! :/

Scyther and scizor.....ya buddy

Garbador, I win the game

I actually prefer the pokémon bugs over real bugs...

Well, I like pokemon bugs, but real "bugs" are pretty much my life. I hope to teach entomology one day, I find nothing on this Earth more beautiful and awesome than the alien, biomechanical look of an arthropod and it seems cheap how cartoons in general will tone down their weirdness to give them "relatable" cartoon faces.

praying_mantis.jpg

I've always wanted a mantis pokemon that actually looks anything at all like a mantis. Why does scyther have a dinosaur head?! And then it evolves into something that looks more like a wasp-lobster. There's nothing wrong with dinosaur headed bugs and wasp-lobsters, but it bothers the heck out me that they're the only mantid representation in the whole game.

Leavanny looks more like a mantis than Scyther, and it isn't even based on one!

Garbador, I win the game

You mean Garbodor. It's bad enough so many people hate it just for being odd and different, but it's also the pokemon name I see mis-spelled more than any other.

Bogleech said:
Garbador, I win the game

You mean Garbodor. It's bad enough so many people hate it just for being odd and different, but it's also the pokemon name I see mis-spelled more than any other.

See we misspell it to insult it, see somewhere garbador is crying and it's well deserved :p.

Also Lugia has always been a bit weird, I mean, it has fingers....why? And you always find it in the water but it's flying.

*sigh*

...Why the constant hate?

A bug-eyed, rotten junk-mutant with nasty teeth and metal tentacles is a grim, tough, downright terrifying idea but they also made it funny and cute looking. It forms a great trio with Weezing and Muk (together they are land, air, and water pollutants), the idea of trash coming to life is actually a nice tribute to ancient Japanese folklore, and Garbodor's design style is based on that of classic children's horror manga.

Everything about Garbodor is fun, cool and clever. It fits in perfectly with Pokemon's overall style and themes, a great deal of thought went into its idea, and it's uniquely executed. It never ceases to shock me that it seems like the single most loathed pokemon of all time by American fans. Pretty well liked everywhere else, but in America, for some reason, everyone only likes "pretty" pokemon all the sudden...doesn't anyone remember similar monsters like the Toxic Crusader, Hedorah or the Heap? When I was a kid, all sorts of characters and monsters were trash-themed, and people loved them!

garbjoobr.png

Some cutesy fan art by my friend Joobr; it's equally easy to make Garbodor look silly or horrifying, which is awesome, just like Gengar and a lot of other classic "creepy" pokes.

More "cute" versions:
1, 2, 3.

More "terrifying" versions:
1, 2, 3.

Really, what's there to hate? He's like a big, fat, crazy zombie, or one of the always-cooler villains from sappy environmental cartoons.

Bogleech said:
*sigh*

...Why the constant hate?

A bug-eyed, rotten junk-mutant with nasty teeth and metal tentacles is a grim, tough, downright terrifying idea but they also made it funny and cute looking. It forms a great trio with Weezing and Muk (together they are land, air, and water pollutants), the idea of trash coming to life is actually a nice tribute to ancient Japanese folklore, and Garbodor's design style is based on that of classic children's horror manga.

Everything about Garbodor is fun, cool and clever. It fits in perfectly with Pokemon's overall style and themes, a great deal of thought went into its idea, and it's uniquely executed. It never ceases to shock me that it seems like the single most loathed pokemon of all time by American fans. Pretty well liked everywhere else, but in America, for some reason, everyone only likes "pretty" pokemon all the sudden...doesn't anyone remember similar monsters like the Toxic Crusader, Hedorah or the Heap? When I was a kid, all sorts of characters and monsters were trash-themed, and people loved them!

garbjoobr.png

Some cutesy fan art by my friend Joobr; it's equally easy to make Garbodor look silly or horrifying, which is awesome, just like Gengar and a lot of other classic "creepy" pokes.

More "cute" versions:
1, 2, 3.

More "terrifying" versions:
1, 2, 3.

Really, what's there to hate? He's like a big, fat, crazy zombie, or one of the always-cooler villains from sappy environmental cartoons.

I don't recall garbage pale kids cards being as popular as they used to be, I believe the kids are more about being clean and fresh, thus garbodor is more of an outcast now. Muk and weezing were cool when they came out because it was more acceptable in society for kids to be dirty and just be kids, but now it's about having the cleanest clothes and best style which is annoying but that's just how it is. I personally just don't like garbodor or muk or weezing

Course, playing with fire and electricity is even less acceptable for kids; I used to be able to buy fireworks year round at toy stores. : (

If pokemon existed we wouldn't even let anyone own them until they hit their 20's and could apply for a license.

I like Garbodor. I think it's a cool poison-type pokemon. Bugs-types, on the other hand, are the most strange, creepiest pokemon ever (In my book, anyway)

Flygon2071 said:
Klinlkang is the weirdest one. No other Pokemon is a floating metal spinning.

462Magnezone.png

I wouldn't call it a strange pokemon, I would call it the most stupidest thing ever I saw in my entire life.

Aww, I don't know why people hate on Klinklang so much either. A big hovering clockwork contraption is a neat visual! So surreal to think of as a "creature."
A lot of people harp on how its evolutions only add new gears, but I think that's the idea; that's the only way you can expand a real clockwork system. If you change even one of the original gears you screw it all up and have to start over.

As for bugs, though, they make up the majority of life on Earth, so they're really the most "normal" and natural things around!

362Glalie.png
584Vanilluxe.png

Anyway, there's something I find really cute in how Glalie and Vanilluxe are both floating ice-monsters who coincidentally resemble popular regional foods, Glalie being a play on Onigiri.

Maybe Gen 6 will give us a flying frost demon shaped like a fancy french wedding cake.

Bogleech said:
Aww, I don't know why people hate on Klinklang so much either. A big hovering clockwork contraption is a neat visual! So surreal to think of as a "creature."
A lot of people harp on how its evolutions only add new gears, but I think that's the idea; that's the only way you can expand a real clockwork system. If you change even one of the original gears you screw it all up and have to start over.

As for bugs, though, they make up the majority of life on Earth, so they're really the most "normal" and natural things around!

362Glalie.png
584Vanilluxe.png

Anyway, there's something I find really cute in how Glalie and Vanilluxe are both floating ice-monsters who coincidentally resemble popular regional foods, Glalie being a play on Onigiri.

Maybe Gen 6 will give us a flying frost demon shaped like a fancy french wedding cake.

That last sentence made my day, demon cake.....hope it's not.....DEVILS FOOD CAKE.

I always thought girafarig was weird but I like him.

Bogleech said:
I actually prefer the pokémon bugs over real bugs...

Well, I like pokemon bugs, but real "bugs" are pretty much my life. I hope to teach entomology one day, I find nothing on this Earth more beautiful and awesome than the alien, biomechanical look of an arthropod and it seems cheap how cartoons in general will tone down their weirdness to give them "relatable" cartoon faces.

praying_mantis.jpg

I've always wanted a mantis pokemon that actually looks anything at all like a mantis. Why does scyther have a dinosaur head?! And then it evolves into something that looks more like a wasp-lobster. There's nothing wrong with dinosaur headed bugs and wasp-lobsters, but it bothers the heck out me that they're the only mantid representation in the whole game.

Leavanny looks more like a mantis than Scyther, and it isn't even based on one!

Garbador, I win the game

Well, now I tolerate insects much better than when I was a kid. Now, sometimes I even like to grab some adult grasshopers, crickets and I also grabbed a mantis once. Now I think insects are actually very nice creatures. I was more refering to arachnids. I really like Galvantula as a pokémon but I pretty much have arachnophobia. I can't stand spiders...

I also like Garbodor. I don't really think it is a stupid idea for a Pokémon like most people, it's actually original... Neither is Klinklang or Vanilluxe. Sure, they're all weird but weird doesn't mean bad.

Spiders are sweet too when you get to know them, only a couple have dangerous bites! I do wish Galvantula, too, had the right number of legs, it otherwise looks very very accurate to a jumping spider or lynx spider, complete with pedipalps (little leg-like appendages near the mouth)

I suppose, though, that bug pokemon aren't literal insect and arachnids anyway, but monsters that borrow traits from them.

I've always assumed that was the case for grass types, especially. Even when they look completely made of plant material on the outside, like Sunflora or something, I figure they have animal-like tissues and organs allowing them to move around in the first place. They would especially have to with the mouths and eyeballs they all exhibit.

I always thought "strange" and "weird" were considered compliments by everyone; I don't know anybody who prefers something they've seen before to something new and crazy :)

ALL pokemon are "strange" though. They're electric mice and cloud birds and dinosaurs with trees on them. Strangeness is the whole reason pokemon is a success; therefore the strangest pokemon of all are the supreme winners.

[/quote]

Also Lugia has always been a bit weird, I mean, it has fingers....why? And you always find it in the water but it's flying.
[/quote]

Lugia is no longer alone because Yvaltal will now stand beside it with its hand/wing/tale things.

EDIT: I messed up with the quotes huh...

Trainerhan1 said:

Lugia is no longer alone because Yvaltal will now stand beside it with its hand/wing/tale things.

EDIT: I messed up with the quotes huh...

Just take out that forward slash in your first tag.

At least Lugia isn't alone with it's sausage fingers, but yvental actually looks good

Back