The Next Rotation

skyla27 said:
I think some different eevees are gonna find prominence in this new format, like Espeon and Vaporeon Plasma namely. Espeon murders a fighting type bench with shadow ball, and Vaporeon might find its way as an anti-pyroar counter. Also, I feel like VirGen becomes a little more relevant with the Item lock Seismitoad EX coming soon, unless that thing is weak to lightning, in that case, raichu all over XD Also, Mewtwo makes a bit of a comeback as well, as if it hasnt been good for long enough -___-

Seismitoad EX is weak to Grass, just like it's in-game counterpart. Even still, VirGen will probably give Seismitoad EX some trouble since Emerald Slash can hit for 100 damage unboosted.

Worried About Yveltal EX Post-Rotation

Ok, so I'm pretty sure that the next rotation will probably be PLS-on so with Dedenne coming out and Raichu still being a thing, I'd like to try and update my Yveltal EX/Raichu deck to try and take out the newer decks that'll most likely focus around Lucario EX, Dragonite EX, and others. I'd still love to be able to play Yveltal EX/Raichu after the rotation, but I don't know how viable it'll still be.

Any advice/tips?
LoneWolf2113

RE: Worried About Yveltal EX Post-Rotation

Garbodor in my opinion is one of the best cards in the format. The only way to destroy Pyroar is to elimate his ability. We are going to be losing Dark Patch and Sableye but we can make it work. Yveltal EX/Garbodor I think will still be a powerful deck in the future. Dedenne isn't going to see much play in really complex decks because you need all the space you can get.

I think Mewtwo EX is going to become really strong because it can be implemented in most decks, and has a colorless attack cost. Psychic is also going to be a good type next format with the onslaught of fighting decks.

Hi LoneWolf2113,

Raichu is already in format and Dedenne does not add much. Dedenne needs Silver Bangle to ohko Yveltal Ex with three energies attached and this should not be the case often. Just flock with the black birds. The deck does suffer a little from the lose of Dark Patch but a third Yveltal and 1 more energy switch will work out fine too. It reduces the lose in speed drastically. Sableye is not needed in most modern Darkness decks since Yveltal is almost always more self sufficient than Sableye. You now even have one tech slot in the deck that can be devoted to cards such as a second Lysandre, a tech Escape Rope or even a tech Enhanced Hammer if this card remains in format. Enhanced Hammer was at least reprinted as a league promo in Japan.

There are also several reasons to assume that the rotation could also be BCR-on. Cards such as Bicycle, Escape Rope and Virbank City Stadium were released in the japanese equivalent to Boundaries Crossed. For the rest of the world these cards were released in the first Plasma set. Similarly, Full Art Skyla was released in the first Plasma set in Japan whilöe this card was part of Boundaries Crossed in the rest of the world. For international tournaments you would either need to allow certain cards or ban them. This makes things more complicated than needed. Another argument in favor of BCR-on would be that the Pokémon company seems to want to push us more into the direction of using evolutions. At the same time most decks centered around evolutions will be quite inconsistent without Skyla. Korrina is not an adequate replacement since without Beach Skyla also needs to draw a supporter from time to time. A third line of arguments I heared on the internet was that Boundaries Crossed can be considered to be akin to a base set two since it was the first set that introduced Ace Spec cards and also had several stable trainer reprints in both Japan and the rest of the world.

Well, it's a good thing that I've been making all my recent decks with the mindset of post-rotation (BCR-on or PLS-on) with the exception of a few things i.e. Enhanced Hammers and the like. Really, besides Raichu, the only thing I'm really worried about is Lucario EX KOing my Darkrai EX really fast. I guess I'll just have to deal with it. Plus, Enhanced Hammer was also reprinted as a League Promo in America too, where I come from.

Thanks for the tips,
LoneWolf2113

LoneWolf2113 said:
Well, it's a good thing that I've been making all my recent decks with the mindset of post-rotation (BCR-on or PLS-on) with the exception of a few things i.e. Enhanced Hammers and the like. Really, besides Raichu, the only thing I'm really worried about is Lucario EX KOing my Darkrai EX really fast. I guess I'll just have to deal with it. Plus, Enhanced Hammer was also reprinted as a League Promo in America too, where I come from.

Thanks for the tips,
LoneWolf2113

...but it has the Dark Explorers stamp on bottom(in case still don't understand, check here for a list of league stamped cards for this season so far), despite the fact they gave it out as a "league promo", but "league promo" actually means "stamped card". And just because it's a league promo does not mean it is an actual promo printed in the same set as N, who got the promo AND league stamp treatment, as actual Promos have a black star w/ the word "Promo" on it rather than some other symbol that resembles another set, and actual promos are treated as their own set, and sets are legal for two play! pokemon championship seasons(which run from September to the next August), and those two seasons of "modified format" life is based on the Japanese equivalent release schedule, while some cards within it may be used beyond that if it's reprinted in a future set, because in that case, the two play! pokemon championship season limitation resets for such cards.

^ Since Enahnced Hammer does not have the "Promo stamp" that indicates the card is treated like its within its own set, the limitation is not reset for that card. So, unless furious fists has a enhanced hammer reprint on it, I'd say enhanced hammer is going to be rotated out...

edit: Oh, and if Noble Victories's release date was an indicator, since it was released in july of 2011 in Japan, the same month that boundaries crossed was released one year later, then I warn you: although it's unofficial at this point, be prepared, whether you like it or not, for BCR getting rotated out when the time comes next month w/ the usual official rotation announcement...

LoneWolf2113 said:

Thanks for the tips,
LoneWolf2113

Well, if you mean the Xerneas Season League promos, well, they still have the DEX set symbol and number, so, unless the Enhanced Hammer reprint in Japan doesn't arrives to us soon, it's bye-bye Hammers. u.u

Eron said:
Luispipe8 said:
For... Squirtle...? XD Blastoise is still in Plasma Blast.

No, because of Skyla, it's a very helpful card.

We would also be losing Level Ball, Heavy Ball, and our bench safe Squirtle. Really wish the deck was more viable without Tropical Beach. :(

Well, in my limited experience, I'd say bet money on the next rotation being BCR-on. Boundaries Crossed has a few cards that are very important to the game that have not been reprinted. The good Squirtle, Landorus EX, and Skyla (not sure if the reprint in the Red Genesect Box would keep it legal) are all cards I couldn't see them getting rid of.

RE: BW- On Format Discussion

I've already built Eels in anticipation. The deck gets a lot of new things that it would have loved back then, such as Evosoda and Mr. Mime. Also, with Catcher being nerfed, your Eels will be a lot safer on the bench. I think Eels will definitely make a triumphant return. However, VirGen and Garbodor will be major problems for them.

skullvarnish said:
Well, in my limited experience, I'd say bet money on the next rotation being BCR-on. Boundaries Crossed has a few cards that are very important to the game that have not been reprinted. The good Squirtle, Landorus EX, and Skyla (not sure if the reprint in the Red Genesect Box would keep it legal) are all cards I couldn't see them getting rid of.

^ I agree with you on the fact that we need a total Skyla reprint of some form before we, as well as TPCi, can unanimously call BCR an outdated set when compared to the newer sets, and at the same time, ensure that the metagame does not change drastically post-rotation as a result, so I respect your opinion and share your pain...

...However, given that Noble Victories, which was the third and final set that was rotated out of the Modified format last September to form the NXD-On format that set the standard for the 2013-14 play! pokemon season, was released in Japan in july 2011, and released in the US in November that same year, and that Boundaries Crossed was released on the same month one year later(July in Japan, November in the US), it's likely that, unless TPCi announces something different to make such a projection irrelevant, we are on course for an undesirable rotation that will change the Pokemon TCG metagame drastically, because BCR, which brought us Skyla(yet, since it doesn't have a 100% replacement(sorry, Korrina), I feel the pain of having to let go of Skyla, along with bench-protected squirtle, and Landorus EX, which could be replaced by Lucario-EX, but without the bench-damaging capability), is likely to be the fourth(fifth if Dragon Vault is counted as a set) and final set to be rotated out to form the standards for 2014-15. Here are the things I bet you will be sad about if such projection is correct:

1. Goodbye, Rocky Helmet(or at least the non-Japanese version, as Japan has seen reprints that could negate those cards from being rotated out in the Japanese region, but I will ask: can they use such cards in Worlds if Rocky Helmet is rotated out in every other part of the world?). Without you, we will be forced to use rock guard if we want an attack deterrent that threatens with damage, but since Rock Guard is an ACE Spec, and Rocky Helmet is not...

2. Goodbye, Computer Search. Without you, we will be forced to utilize a Florges if we want to draw any card at will, but at least discarding two is not a factor with Florges, and those two discards that Computer Search requires can be replaced by two more deck draws than Computer Search offers if Florges is used to draw the card. However, since Florges is a stage 2 pokemon and Computer Search is an Item...

3. Hello, Furious Fists-caused damage acceleration. You have changed the game forever. Never before have we witnessed a set that features more than one or two player-manipulated ways to increase the damage done to opponents that dare to stop the fury. But can you stand a chance against Psychics using such acceleration? The answer to that question will reveal itself more and more over time, from prerelease to the 2014-15 Nationals...

^ The above may not be to your liking, but I will say that we will have to wait until the official rotation announcement before we know whether or not to say "Projections mean nothing when it comes to Pokemon TCG. Surprises may happen that defy projections and right the ship of game balance against predictions made before the fact"...In the meantime, did you get the above???

edit: Just because it's in a promotional box doesn't mean its remaining time in Modified is reset(or keep it legal beyond the time of set rotation out of Modified), in case you want an answer to your question...

cardgjammer said:
skullvarnish said:

^ I agree with you on the fact that we need a total Skyla reprint of some form before we, as well as TPCi, can unanimously call BCR an outdated set when compared to the newer sets, and at the same time, ensure that the metagame does not change drastically post-rotation as a result, so I respect your opinion and share your pain...

...However, given that Noble Victories, which was the third and final set that was rotated out of the Modified format last September to form the NXD-On format that set the standard for the 2013-14 play! pokemon season, was released in Japan in july 2011, and released in the US in November that same year, and that Boundaries Crossed was released on the same month one year later(July in Japan, November in the US), it's likely that, unless TPCi announces something different to make such a projection irrelevant, we are on course for an undesirable rotation that will change the Pokemon TCG metagame drastically, because BCR, which brought us Skyla(yet, since it doesn't have a 100% replacement(sorry, Korrina), I feel the pain of having to let go of Skyla, along with bench-protected squirtle, and Landorus EX, which could be replaced by Lucario-EX, but without the bench-damaging capability), is likely to be the fourth(fifth if Dragon Vault is counted as a set) and final set to be rotated out to form the standards for 2014-15. Here are the things I bet you will be sad about if such projection is correct:

1. Goodbye, Rocky Helmet(or at least the non-Japanese version, as Japan has seen reprints that could negate those cards from being rotated out in the Japanese region, but I will ask: can they use such cards in Worlds if Rocky Helmet is rotated out in every other part of the world?). Without you, we will be forced to use rock guard if we want an attack deterrent that threatens with damage, but since Rock Guard is an ACE Spec, and Rocky Helmet is not...

2. Goodbye, Computer Search. Without you, we will be forced to utilize a Florges if we want to draw any card at will, but at least discarding two is not a factor with Florges, and those two discards that Computer Search requires can be replaced by two more deck draws than Computer Search offers if Florges is used to draw the card. However, since Florges is a stage 2 pokemon and Computer Search is an Item...

3. Hello, Furious Fists-caused damage acceleration. You have changed the game forever. Never before have we witnessed a set that features more than one or two player-manipulated ways to increase the damage done to opponents that dare to stop the fury. But can you stand a chance against Psychics using such acceleration? The answer to that question will reveal itself more and more over time, from prerelease to the 2014-15 Nationals...

^ The above may not be to your liking, but I will say that we will have to wait until the official rotation announcement before we know whether or not to say "Projections mean nothing when it comes to Pokemon TCG. Surprises may happen that defy projections and right the ship of game balance against predictions made before the fact"...In the meantime, did you get the above???

edit: Just because it's in a promotional box doesn't mean its remaining time in Modified is reset(or keep it legal beyond the time of set rotation out of Modified), in case you want an answer to your question...

Everything you said makes perfect sense, but I'm putting my money on BCR-on.

@skullvarnish
Can you care to explain more on why you think it will be BCR on?
I think making it PLS on will make the game more balanced. Landorus EX doing 90-110 damage turn one doesn't sound fun, so I'd guess pokemon would rotate him out.
Squirtle with bench shield was kind of broken, so I think a rotation to the PLB one will be better.
And while Korrina certainly isn't skyla, it's close enough to say pokemon is trying to balance the format with the release of this card.

Both BCR-On and PLS-On have equally as strong arguments. BCR-On's is the fact that Boundaries Crossed was basically B2W2's base set, and PLS-On for the fact that it was the first plasma set. At this point it's a total toss up, with the way things are going with the Day 2 extended format, we could even see no rotation this year.

Frost Mage said:
Both BCR-On and PLS-On have equally as strong arguments. BCR-On's is the fact that Boundaries Crossed was basically B2W2's base set, and PLS-On for the fact that it was the first plasma set. At this point it's a total toss up, with the way things are going with the Day 2 extended format, we could even see no rotation this year.

The way I see it is BW-On most definitely means a rotation.

Elbow said:
@skullvarnish
I think making it PLS on will make the game more balanced. Landorus EX doing 90-110 damage turn one doesn't sound fun, so I'd guess pokemon would rotate him out.
Squirtle with bench shield was kind of broken, so I think a rotation to the PLB one will be better.
And while Korrina certainly isn't skyla, it's close enough to say pokemon is trying to balance the format with the release of this card.
Lets be honest here. Squirtle BCR is far from broken. And in what way does scrapping Skyla for a card that you would only play with Fighting types balance the format? Skyla is already a balanced card.

BW was based off of:
3 non ex sets
4 ex sets
3 plasma sets
1 reprint set
So @frostmage do you think pokemon will rotate three sets two times and then 5 sets to finish off to xy?
I am betting its 4 this time and 3 next time to make it a LT on block.

Camoclone said:
Frost Mage said:

The way I see it is BW-On most definitely means a rotation.

Elbow said:
@skullvarnish
Lets be honest here. Squirtle BCR is far from broken. And in what way does scrapping Skyla for a card that you would only play with Fighting types balance the format? Skyla is already a balanced card.

I can also agree with this Squirtle BCR is not Broken, I mean, there are not too much Pokémon that hit to the bench, and that are used a lot, obviously someone that uses Pokémon like Darkrai EX or Landorus EX tends to hit Basic Pokémon like Squirtle, but then, hitting the bench is very rare, but ofc it has helped.

It can only be BCR - ON or PLB- ON, you can't rotate PS or BCR alone because the English sets and Japanese sets have mixed cards and it'd make it so we have too much of a difference in the Metas, one of us would end up with Lazer bank, one would end up without skyla and so on.

Which the only possible rotation options at this time are BCR, Plasma blast, or LTR-On.

Shining Goodra said:
It can only be BCR - ON or PLB- ON, you can't rotate PS or BCR alone because the English sets and Japanese sets have mixed cards and it'd make it so we have too much of a difference in the Metas, one of us would end up with Lazer bank, one would end up without skyla and so on.

Which the only possible rotation options at this time are BCR, Plasma blast, or LTR-On.

LTR-ON would be very dumb, I mean, rotate all BW but 4 sets (3 are already rotated) in just 1 year? I don't think TPCi would do that, we can't make a lot of decks with XY stuff, and also think about people, including myself, that didn't buy XY boosters, boxes, tins and all that.

Back