Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

RE: The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Price Range- 95-105 AUD
What you are thinking of buying: Booster Box
Any options to choose from and why: Noble Victories, Next Destinies, Dark Explorers

A store here in Brazil is selling a sealed Skyridge Booster Box for something around $120~125. I'm not a serious collector, nor player. I enjoy playing casually and preserving my rarest cards. Do you guys think it's a nice deal? I know there are valuable cards, but even on a Neo Genesis - Skyridge format, it seems pretty lacking...

Delta Nite said:
A store here in Brazil is selling a sealed Skyridge Booster Box for something around $120~125. I'm not a serious collector, nor player. I enjoy playing casually and preserving my rarest cards. Do you guys think it's a nice deal? I know there are valuable cards, but even on a Neo Genesis - Skyridge format, it seems pretty lacking...

Buying makes more sense for a collector. For a casual player, I think a more current booster box would be desirable. It would allow you to trade easier.

Is that in USD? If it is then I'd say it's a pretty good deal. From what I've seen Skyridge boxes go for $200 and up. You'd have to ask a serious collector for their price on it, though.

Thanks folks. I just checked TrollandToad for it, and woah. It really is a good deal, even if the cards aren't really playable. I think the price is so low 'cause around these parts the TCG never got really popular until now, and people are more worried about competitive cards.

Delta Nite said:
Thanks folks. I just checked TrollandToad for it, and woah. It really is a good deal, even if the cards aren't really playable. I think the price is so low 'cause around these parts the TCG never got really popular until now, and people are more worried about competitive cards.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say. If collecting, buy it fast. But for a casual player do you really want to get rid of 8 copies of 70/144 Kakuna ?

Out of the three new tins being released, which ones should I get? I am only planning on building one deck for the upcoming Nats, so...what do I buy?

EDIT: I am considering Garchomp/Altaria right now.

looking to start getting a deck ready for the new Season BW-on. What Booster boxes are recommended to get now?

Spectrow said:
looking to start getting a deck ready for the new Season BW-on. What Booster boxes are recommended to get now?
I would mostly likely recommend Next Destinies or Dark Explorers as they have the EX cards, but if your searching for a certain card you are better off getting singles.

Spectrow said:

Definitively Dark Explorers, no doubt. First off, there are the EXs. Second of all, with a box of this set, you can pretty much get all the competitive T/S/S: N, Juniper, Rare Candy, Cheren, Ultra Ball, not to forget Golden Catcher lol. If u want to do a tier 1 deck right away, u could already do a Darkbox deck, because every tool you need will be in that box.

I'm thinking about buying a 9-Tin Case of the Fall 2012 Legendary EX tins, but I'd like to know if anyone has bought a similar case of any 9 tins.

Is it worth it? You're getting the same amount of packs as you would in a booster box, plus the most popular AND playable EX's in the game.. (currently)\

Thanks in advance!

Puckstopper20 said:
I'm thinking about buying a 9-Tin Case of the Fall 2012 Legendary EX tins, but I'd like to know if anyone has bought a similar case of any 9 tins.

Is it worth it? You're getting the same amount of packs as you would in a booster box, plus the most popular AND playable EX's in the game.. (currently)\

Thanks in advance!

I'm curious about how much these tins cost. While it's great to get 3 Rayquaza, Mewtwo and Darkrai, you don't exactly have the same guaranteed ratios as you do in boxes. This potentially means more EXs than in a box, but it could easily mean less EXs too. Another thing to consider is what packs are included in the tins. There often tends to be one or two older and less desirable pack in every tin, so only buy them if you're interested in cards from all three sets. Basically, if the price is about as much as booster box, and all three sets in the tins are worth it to you, then buy it by all means.

Meaty said:
I'm curious about how much these tins cost. While it's great to get 3 Rayquaza, Mewtwo and Darkrai, you don't exactly have the same guaranteed ratios as you do in boxes. This potentially means more EXs than in a box, but it could easily mean less EXs too. Another thing to consider is what packs are included in the tins. There often tends to be one or two older and less desirable pack in every tin, so only buy them if you're interested in cards from all three sets. Basically, if the price is about as much as booster box, and all three sets in the tins are worth it to you, then buy it by all means.

The case is going to cost 99.99 with free shipping! And you're right about the ratios but a lot of people tend to get good pulls in opening videos on YouTube... I think I'm gonna go for it but I just wanted to get some opinions..

Puckstopper20 said:
The case is going to cost 99.99 with free shipping! And you're right about the ratios but a lot of people tend to get good pulls in opening videos on YouTube... I think I'm gonna go for it but I just wanted to get some opinions..

Where are you buying it from?

From my experience, tins have given me great pulls. I pulled a Donphan Prime and a Legend piece from the same tin.
When it comes to picking between the Case of Tins or the Booster Box, it depends on what you want. If you want to nearly complete the whole set in one shot, go for the booster box, but if you are looking primarily for ultra rares and such, and don't care about getting a few older set's packs, go for the tins, because they usually prove to have better ratios. Plus you can sell the extra promo EXs.

99.99 sounds like a great price. I say you buy it.

Best place to buy base boosters/boxes?

I'm getting back into the tcg and want to start back at the beginning. Where online etc. are the best places to purchase sealed packs/boxes for good prices?

RE: Best place to buy base boosters/boxes?

Ehhh... You're better off skipping forward a bit if you don't want to sink a lot of money into the TCG. Unlimited Base Set packs are about $5-$20 a pack, it fluctuates quite a bit. 1st Edition are worth roughly $25-$60ish a pack. And boxes for either are worth well over $300; especially if sealed.

To answer the question though, best I can suggest is eBay or Amazon, and those aren't very good if, that says anything on the value of the packs. Check local comic shops as well if possible and just ask; it never hurts and can sometimes lead to some killer deals (or killer numbers if you have my luck haha) that you can't find anywhere else.

Also, if you don't mind skipping out on the packs themselves buying singles is MUCH cheaper. Some cards can still run hefty prices but no where near as much as sealed packs/boxed. This point is null if you're wanting 1st Edition anything though. Those are expensive either way.

Welcome back to the game though!

RE: Best place to buy base boosters/boxes?

Torterror said:
I'm getting back into the tcg and want to start back at the beginning. Where online etc. are the best places to purchase sealed packs/boxes for good prices?

There's a pretty useful thread (here) that has some information about American online retailers that deal in Pokémon cards. The OP has a lot of information, but tthe rest of the thread also lists stores that the OP doesn't mention, including international stores.

I'll second the above poster and suggest both A) starting newer, and B) buying singles/sets, especially if you're a collector. I'm also somewhat of a "getting back into the TCG collector" (just started again about a year ago), and I've noticed that, especially with a lot of the older sets, that sealed packs/booster boxes can be worth significantly more than the cards inside of them.

Of course, I'm not trying to manage your wallet or anything. Check out a bunch of sites to get an idea on prices and move on from there. Good luck!

What Booster box should I buy? I am looking at ones from Expedition to Power Keepers.

Also let's assume I have an infinite budget and secret supplier of Pokémon Booster boxes. :D

Back