(1) HGSS-on Format Confirmed in July [4/25]

RE: (1) Potential HGSS-on Format in July [4/25]

Can somebody explain what this new format is?

David21 said:
Can somebody explain what this new format is?

The Format change will be Heart Gold/Soul Silver on. Meaning anything prior to that will not be modified legal anymore.

aikira21 said:
But my biggest pet peeve is all the players saying that no stage 2 deck will be playable with out BTS. Seriously folks BTS was not played prior to a few years ago and we did just fine with out it. Including multiple decks that won worlds with out it. Because the game was slower. None of this Cyrus Engine, none of this uxie set up, pokedrawer + etc. The stage decks will be just fine and you will see that once you start playing B&W rules against other pure HGSS decks. The game just got simpler and a lot more creative.

While that is true, rare candy was still broken back then. Also for part of "back then" we had GE claydol and PK delcatty, which were both (in my opinion) better than uxie.

Ok I may be the only person who missed this but I think I should post it anyways
The Announcment said:
The next Modified format will include expansions from HeartGold & SoulSilver
this doesn't state that it will be HGSS-on. (Talk about being lawer happy) So I won't compleatly discredit their desicion.

while i haven't played in quite a long time, i have been still keeping up with it through these troubled times.

a big thanks goes to tpci! maybe now i'll have an incentive to actually play next year!

they still also stated that part of the issue is how they split the sets up making some cards legal for far longer than they should have.. *crosses fingers for complete sets like japan gets*

My first thought was literally thank goodness.
As an enthusiast of the TCG I was disheartened when I learned that there was no competitive play where I am currently in exchange in Australia. I decided to jump back in as soon as I get home in July, but I wasn't too fond of the current state of TCG affairs. -cough hey SP, sup?- I'm excited for this and hope it goes through..I'd love to get this rotation!

The Wii Man1234 said:
this doesn't state that it will be HGSS-on. (Talk about being lawer happy) So I won't compleatly discredit their desicion.

Regardless If they decide to do a Mid-Season Rotation If SableDonk gets as bad as people say at this years Regionals, Nationals, and Worlds they will push for a July 1st Rotation to HGSS-On instead of waiting until September 1st after Worlds 2011.

No matter when TPCi/P!P decides to rotate out our Modified format this year the end result will still be the same. What part of that our next Modified format WILL be HeartGold/SoulSilver-On do you not understand? Especially when this is coming straight from an official source with Pokemon.com...

Did you really think they'd change their mind and go Rising Rivals-On or Supreme Victors-On? No of course not, they've already made the final decision on what the next Modified format will be and it's official so we should all just stick to it unless you want to quit the Pokemon TCG because of it.

Card Slinger J said:
The Wii Man1234 said:

Regardless If they decide to do a Mid-Season Rotation If SableDonk gets as bad as people say at this years Regionals, Nationals, and Worlds they will push for a July 1st Rotation to HGSS-On instead of waiting until September 1st after Worlds 2011.

No matter when TPCi/P!P decides to rotate out our Modified format this year the end result will still be the same. What part of that our next Modified format WILL be HeartGold/SoulSilver-On do you not understand? Especially when this is coming straight from an official source with Pokemon.com...

Did you really think they'd change their mind and go Rising Rivals-On or Supreme Victors-On? No of course not, they've already made the final decision on what the next Modified format will be and it's official so we should all just stick to it or If you want to complain about it be my guest.

maybe you should read more carefuly:
The Wii Man1234 said:
The Announcment said:
The next Modified format will include expansions from HeartGold & SoulSilver
include doesn't mean HGSS-on and they did MD-on so why not SV or RR-on?

It says it will include expansions from HeartGold & SoulSilver up to the most current expansion
which is Black & White Base Set. That technically means it's most likely HGSS-On thus cutting
Diamond & Pearl: Majestic Dawn, Legends Awakened, Stormfront, Platinum Base Set, Platinum: Rising Rivals, Supreme Victors, and Arceus from our current format.

If we keep Rising Rivals, Supreme Victors, and Arceus in the format it's just going to lead to more
power creep issues like what we are seeing right now with Sableye from Stormfront. I think Water Pokemon Master said it better than I did If you want to see on the Main Page of PokeBeach. What's the problem with matching our next Modified format with Japan's current one soon?

Someone on http://google.com/ said that they've tested new decks with a HGSS-On format and that resulted in more donks in most of their matches compared to our current format. Sure the stuff that P!P/TPCi did recently had somewhat put Donks to a minimum but in the end it's just a natural flaw to the Pokemon TCG itself much like with Mana Screw in Magic: The Gathering.

What I think everyone is getting at is that this is all a matter of perception. Think about it this way, there's people saying that it wont be hgss-on because of the wording and there's people who are saying it will be hggs-on because of the wording.

The problem is that Pokemon.com wasn't being specific enough in detail about what the next Modified format will be. If TPCi/P!P cares so much about their playerbase for the TCG itself why keep us in suspense like this especially for the competitive community who are attending Nationals and Worlds this year at least make some sense out of all this confusion...

^I think their actions have a lot of merit. They said something to indicate that they weren't blowing off all of the people that were complaining. They were vague because they didn't want to decide something for sure because the public might like their change even less. And this way if an early rotation comes, people have at least had a warning. That way they've had a month to decide what they want to trade/sell/keep.

Glad to see the SP Decks go! Tired of their Garchomp LX and it's Healing Power! It ruins my attacks unless I knock it out in one shot which my "Regigigas" can for Garchomp LX 2x weakness. Plus all of the SP Trainers and related Supporters......

Machamp Prime and Donphan Prime will still do well! Rhyperior?

Holy flying firetruck my Mewperior will die sooner than I expected.
Well, better than Sabledonk running rampant at Nats. Maybe people will get to draw a card in their games, ya know?

Ding Dong the witch is dead! and by witch i mean Garcheese lvl X!

Holy flying firetruck my Mewperior will die sooner than I expected.
Just run Mew with Jumpluff instead, and run the deck like you would a Mew-Gyarados. High damage output without milling your deck. 'Tis the perfect crime!

I agree with DNA, if you already have loads of mew prime, just do something else with it.. Maybe use lucario and absol prime with it and auto lose vs lostgar.. Or jumpluff.

Wording is weird and not really clear but i think it will be hgss-on.

man, i wanted to try out my Arceus deck. I guess im fine with it, ill be using magnezone!

amisheskimoninja said:
^I think their actions have a lot of merit. They said something to indicate that they weren't blowing off all of the people that were complaining. They were vague because they didn't want to decide something for sure because the public might like their change even less. And this way if an early rotation comes, people have at least had a warning. That way they've had a month to decide what they want to trade/sell/keep.

I still think they should've been more specific, don't just say "Oh we don't know for sure what the next format will be so we will just 'assume' that it will contain current sets including HeartGold & SoulSilver up to the current expansion being Black & White."

TPCi/P!P are acting like Brett Favre on this issue, they can't seem to make up their own minds. If you're going to make a decision that will effect the metagame at least for the love of God give everyone a straight answer. I am extremely disappointed on TPCi's handling with this, they can do so much better instead of keeping their playerbase up in suspense like this.

Back