Honedge gets an evolution.
Honedge. A swords.
Becomes more awesome.
By getting.
And evolution.

'Scuse me for a minute.

tumblr_m3gttaHROA1qcsubs.gif

New on the forums here, hi! :]
Anyway, a little disappointed with this reveal, hyped for only being Doublade though It looks like a solid wall/bulky for a team and No guard tells me that it can learn some poweful moves with low accuracy.

Hopefully Doublade gets another evolution.

Frezgle said:
Time to sit back and watch a thousand people complain about "uncreativity", whilst a thousand more people point out that these exist:
[animate]magneton[/animate][animate]dugtrio[/animate]

I like it though. The purple looks nice :D

Lol, the thing is uncreative, and so are the examples above.

Also, anyone who expected this is either a liar or works with Nintendo.

howelllawson said:
There's two ways it could go:

Hone-edge
(Hone: sharpen with a whetstone, rhymes with bone)

or

On-edge
(On pronunciation coming from honor)

Considering XY is based on France and the French don't pronounce the "h" in any words (hospital is said ô-pi-tal, etc) I would assume the same goes for Honedge. I throw my vote for the latter pronunciation of Honedge: On-edge

Eridanis Nadir said:
New on the forums here, hi! :]
Anyway, a little disappointed with this reveal, hyped for only being Doublade though It looks like a solid wall/bulky for a team and No guard tells me that it can learn some poweful moves with low accuracy.

Hopefully Doublade gets another evolution.

welcome!

Godot said:
howelllawson said:
There's two ways it could go:

Hone-edge
(Hone: sharpen with a whetstone, rhymes with bone)

or

On-edge
(On pronunciation coming from honor)

Considering XY is based on France and the French don't pronounce the "h" in any words (hospital is said ô-pi-tal, etc) I would assume the same goes for Honedge. I throw my vote for the latter pronunciation of Honedge: On-edge

He's on the edge.

Reggie McGigas said:
Frezgle said:
Time to sit back and watch a thousand people complain about "uncreativity", whilst a thousand more people point out that these exist:
[animate]magneton[/animate][animate]dugtrio[/animate]

I like it though. The purple looks nice :D

Lol, the thing is uncreative, and so are the examples above.

tbh, it does have more creativity in it than Dugtrio and Magneton.
The 1st gen are literally the preevo stuck together. Nothing more.
Doublade has different features from Honedge; the individual sheaths have different designs, part of the sword has a curve.
It also seems to be partially inspired by a Coat of Arms or something.
If we're gonna compare it to a gen1 mon in terms of evolution development, I think Doduo->Dodrio is a more fair comparison.

And I won't say I didn't expect it, since I didn't. I actually thought Honedge was gonna be standalone, but Doublade is a really nice way for it to go.

Here's hoping we get a badass 3-sword-coat-of-arms thing as the evolution. (and it better have good stats!!!)

bacon said:
Double Edge is the perfect move for this guy. Please evolve by learning Double Edge.

Yeah, this is where translations cause confusion. Double-Edge is actually known as Life Risking Tackle (すてみタックル) in Japanese.

This is why Sucker Punch isn't an actual punch, and why Mr. Mime can be female. It's nice to see the English translators come up with an original name, but in cases like this, I wish they choose something closer to the original name.

Reggie McGigas said:

Or, y'know, some people expect a wide range of possibilites based on previous Pokémon with similar design motivations / ideas. Honedge is based on a real-life non-living object. Recently we had another Pokémon, Klink, that was thought up the same way and evolved in a similar manner that we now see Honedge has followed. And in the past, the Magnemite line did the same. So people who expected Honedge evolving this way probably considered it could take a similar path and put it on their list of possibilities, no? ;D

Fraxureking said:
I actually want to see this sketch. Knowing your work, It'll be awesome.
Those who dislike this evolution will dislike the sketch's design. Regardless, I don't have time to upload it anyway. :0

I feel kind of disappointed. I mean, the design is much like Magneton and Dugtrio, so it isn't suddenly unoriginal, but I think this announcement was a bit hyped. What makes Doublade special enough to be announced early?

thstrkslp said:

...Dang. If only. That's probably one of the only things that could ever redeem this line, I'm afraid.

looooooooool... What can I say? I wasn't sure if Honedge was going to get an evo but I thought if it had one, they would probably go the lazy way with it and do this... Another pokémon with Magnemite syndrome...
It's not like I hate this kind of pokémon, I usually like them anyway, but I don't know, I already thought Klinklang could have been more different than Klang and the same happens with Doublade... They could have designed a few more differences like the sharp end of each curve of the swords (I'm not sure if what I'm saying is comprehensible, I'm having some difficulty trying to describe it)...
Now I wonder if it will get another evo or if this is it... They might as well have a 3rd stage for it with more swords or a shield like some people are saying...

edit: I would have preferred an evo like that one above...

Xous said:
Reggie McGigas said:

Or, y'know, some people expect a wide range of possibilites based on previous Pokémon with similar design motivations / ideas. Honedge is based on a real-life non-living object. Recently we had another Pokémon, Klink, that was thought up the same way and evolved in a similar manner that we now see Honedge has followed. And in the past, the Magnemite line did the same. So people who expected Honedge evolving this way probably considered it could take a similar path and put it on their list of possibilities, no? ;D

That was sarcasam.... but hey, no one can tell sarcasam from actually saying things on a screen, so yeah. Why not make a good discussion about it?

You had a good point but we've also had a threesome of diglett, so yeah. It doesn't have to be inanimate to multiply ;)

Also, I don't really view Klink as a 'threesome' Pokemon, because there are obvious differences in each of it's gears.

Ok first off I love this pokemon. Secondly the thing that connects them is more likely to be the thing people put on their backs to carry 2 swords. So yeah sorry but it doesn't look like a coat of arms to me.

Back