XY Sylveon's type is pink

P.DelSlayer said:
Mitja said:
Celebis secondary type is Grass...I don't think they'd get rid of it D:

Celebi doesn't need to be changed at all.

Yep. Both types are highly appropriate for it.

Wouldnt say the same for Jirachi tho.

At 1:42-1:45 in the short trailer of the new Genesect movie, the bottom of Slyveons egg-shaped background shows a little wing. Could that be representative of its type, either Fairy, Flying, or something else?
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rTyPZGdEyyc[/video]

So here is my big deal for everyone who thinks Sylveon is Flying or Normal type. Why didn't GameFreak just announce Sylveon and its type from the beginning? I mean, if it were Flying or Normal type there would be no huge deal about it. I personally believe Sylveon must be a new type because if not, it wouldn't be a big deal. When they announced Leafeon and Glaceon, they went out and said Grass and Ice type.

Sylveon itself is amiguous in typing and that is because GameFreak is trying to make us anticipate the new types. It would be really, REALLY stupid if GameFreak was like "What's the type of this new mystery pokemon? It's normal type.... -.-"

Lastly, I believe Sylveon will be introducing the Fairy type. The wing at the end of the trailer is no ordinary bird wing, nor is it a bug wing. It looks like a fairy wing. I could be mistaking the fairy type for Light type, but either way it should be a new type. Game Freak would not hype us up THIS much for a new normal or flying type pokemon.

Why not reveal? Because otherwise threads like this wouldn't exist and you wouldn't have signed up just to debate this topic. They obscured Reshiram's and Zekrom's types from us when they were first revealed, and everyone went nuts, claiming DARK AND LIGHT ZOMG.

Also, they are obscuring -everything- from us this gen. The only Pokemon whose types we know are the starters, and that's cause, well, they're starters. They've been the same since gen 1. No surprises there. They even claimed that Newtwo was a brand new Pokemon who just happened to look like Mewtwo; it wasn't until later that they said "okay, you got us, it's mewtwo." We don't even know if Mewtwo undergoes any type changes. Everything's a secret because hype is better than no hype.

PMJ said:
Why not reveal? Because otherwise threads like this wouldn't exist and you wouldn't have signed up just to debate this topic. They obscured Reshiram's and Zekrom's types from us when they were first revealed, and everyone went nuts, claiming DARK AND LIGHT ZOMG.

Also, they are obscuring -everything- from us this gen. The only Pokemon whose types we know are the starters, and that's cause, well, they're starters. They've been the same since gen 1. No surprises there. They even claimed that Newtwo was a brand new Pokemon who just happened to look like Mewtwo; it wasn't until later that they said "okay, you got us, it's mewtwo." We don't even know if Mewtwo undergoes any type changes. Everything's a secret because hype is better than no hype.
THANK YOU! Someone finally gets it. The secretiveness is very good for hype and later reception. Because, think about it, which would game would you be more likely to buy? One where all the plot, art, 'mons and their types, etc. are reveled months before the initial release? Or a game in which small fragments are reveled over time, creating fan speculation, keeping the majority of the game a surprise? What their doing is that once the hype for some newly released info dies down, they release more to spark the hype up again. Also, mentioning Reshiram, the same thing happened then is happening now. Xerneas and Sylveon's types are hard to pin down, so everyone automatically assumes that it is OMG TEH NEW FAIRY TYPE!!!1! Reshi and Zek's types only make sense if you calm down and think about it, I feel that the same thing will happen this generation as well. Didn't someone say that this generation is like the "evolution" of the Pokemon series as a whole? Also, I personally like that Nintendo are tantalizing use with small details occasionally. It is a lot more fun and interesting than just blurting out info constantly.

Reshiram's and Zekrom's types were secret for what, a month max maybe? Sylveon does not fit ANY type, and unlike with Reshiram they keep teasing us and asking us what type Sylveon is.

Teal said:
Reshiram's and Zekrom's types were secret for what, a month max maybe? Sylveon does not fit ANY type, and unlike with Reshiram they keep teasing us and asking us what type Sylveon is.

Normal fits it great. ''Fairy'' Pokémon have always been Normal-types.

Eh...I think I'm about ready to place my bet on Sylveon getting a new type. It's still by no means a sure thing, and I'm not convinced that the type will apply to Xerneas too, as the rumor goes, but the sheer length of time Sylveon's been in existence now coupled with the abilities shown in the newest trailer make for some compelling evidence.

It's very true that Game Freak and TCPi could play up the mystery in order to generate hype even if there isn't some big revelation. But that argument forgets one thing: consumer trust. A huge publicity build-up with no exciting payoff alienates customers, who end up feeling used and will be less likely to maintain interest in whatever product is being hyped once the fervor dies down. Mystery does generate hype, and Game Freak and TCPi are clearly using that fact to their full advantage, but if all that suspense doesn't lead to a satisfying reveal, it'll backfire. Remember how disappointed we all were when the CoroCoro leak in March didn't have any info after all those rumors? That was just an unofficial hype build-up - a letdown here would be a lot worse.

I can definitely understand wanting to temper your expectations to avoid potential disappointment - I've done that plenty of times. But we've reached the point where either there's a big reveal waiting or TPCi has made a very uncharacteristic misstep, and I'm willing to bet on the first one.

(Just watch, now that I've said that, it'll turn out to be Bug-type or something like that. The universe loves to mess with me. : P )

DorianBlack said:
Eh...I think I'm about ready to place my bet on Sylveon getting a new type. It's still by no means a sure thing, and I'm not convinced that the type will apply to Xerneas too, as the rumor goes, but the sheer length of time Sylveon's been in existence now coupled with the abilities shown in the newest trailer make for some compelling evidence.

It's very true that Game Freak and TCPi could play up the mystery in order to generate hype even if there isn't some big revelation. But that argument forgets one thing: consumer trust. A huge publicity build-up with no exciting payoff alienates customers, who end up feeling used and will be less likely to maintain interest in whatever product is being hyped once the fervor dies down. Mystery does generate hype, and Game Freak and TCPi are clearly using that fact to their full advantage, but if all that suspense doesn't lead to a satisfying reveal, it'll backfire. Remember how disappointed we all were when the CoroCoro leak in March didn't have any info after all those rumors? That was just an unofficial hype build-up - a letdown here would be a lot worse.

I can definitely understand wanting to temper your expectations to avoid potential disappointment - I've done that plenty of times. But we've reached the point where either there's a big reveal waiting or TPCi has made a very uncharacteristic misstep, and I'm willing to bet on the first one.

(Just watch, now that I've said that, it'll turn out to be Bug-type or something like that. The universe loves to mess with me. : P )

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I think honestly that Game Freak and Nintendo really really enjoy taunting us and it's not nice XD

If Sylveon is normal or flying or any existing type I swear I will flip an IRL table.

I have to say I'm starting to seriously consider that Hirobyte was being serious that Sylveon will be a new type.
Just look at it.
Sylveon is so unobvious with its type. Visually, every Eeveelution has screamed its type. The only types that I think of when I see Sylveon are Normal, and Fairy.
Same situation with naming. Every Eeveelution's name has clearly referred back to its type (although one could argue the umbra in Umbreon would imply Ghost more than Dark). In every language, Sylveon's name translations have some relation to fairies.

So, my overall predictions for Sylveon:
-Fairy type
-It will evolve from Eevee via the use of a held item, or the new Bonding feature.
-It will have a Fairy ability that has something to do with a game mechanic (1st gen Eeveelutions had immunites to their respective types, 2nd gen had status condition reflection, and 4th gen got power ups in their respective weather)

Also, maybe we could be seeing another Eeveelution this gen? Because if Sylveon does turn out to be Fairy, then it would make sense, given the previous Eeveelution's release history, all being in a pair. Although, I can see it being the 'last Eeveelution' as a Normal type.

Something I want to point out is the chance of a 2nd Eeveelution being introduced this generation and the fact that 2 Eeveelutions have been introduced since Generation 2 makes this a possibility. My thoughts are that Sylveon is indeed a New Type and that's the reason why it's being promoted first to build some speculation around it. So if possible the other Eeveelution is being kept a secret until atleast the last month before the short airs along with the movie. As for it's type if Sylveon is indeed a Fairy Type then I would like to say that another Eeveelution would most probably be Dragon Type to me they just go hand in hand or maybe even a Steel Type Eeveelution since fairies have been said to be weak to iron and the duo of Eeveelutions from Generation's 2 and 4 have one Eeveelution that is super effective against the other Umbreon is strong against Espeon and Glaceon is strong against Leafeon so I think the second option about a 2nd Eeveelution being Steel Type isn't too farfetched either.

P.DelSlayer said:
I have to say I'm starting to seriously consider that Hirobyte was being serious that Sylveon will be a new type.
Just look at it.
Sylveon is so unobvious with its type. Visually, every Eeveelution has screamed its type. The only types that I think of when I see Sylveon are Normal, and Fairy.
Same situation with naming. Every Eeveelution's name has clearly referred back to its type (although one could argue the umbra in Umbreon would imply Ghost more than Dark). In every language, Sylveon's name translations have some relation to fairies.
A quick bit of research told me that Sylviidae is a family of birds and that sylphs are air spirits, and that nymph is often the the young immature life stage of some inveterate (insects), which makes Sylveon likely a bug or flying type. I know its German name is somehow diverted from faerie, but fairies often fly around and are sometimes associated with insects. Also, Sylveon is the lightest eeveelution to date, making it very fit for flying. Also, its form seems very aerodynamic, it doesn't any overly poofy fur on it, other than its stray cowlick. Its bows look like butterfly wings and its ribbons look vaguely like gusts of wind, yet another reference to the flying type.

Unrelated to its type, but I think that Sylveon is the one true evolution of Eevee, if its genetic code was regular. One that note, I think that it will have pretty good stats, but some sort of ability that will hinder it over time, like defeatist or something that reduced its HP over time, like the result of an irregular genetic code in real life, once again going along with the DNA theme of generation 6. (based of something I read on TVTropes)

Also, I believe that it will evolve using that new "bonding" mechanic. What better to introduce a new mechanic than with a new eeveelution?

*random idea* To go with the DNA theme, could Sylveon's ribbons represent the actual double helix shape of a DNA strand (there are two strands and Sylveon has two ribbons (it looks like four, but the bow ties are in the middle of the ribbons, making it look like four ribbons))? Just throwing that idea out there...

CyberCat5555 said:
P.DelSlayer said:
Just look at it.
A quick bit of research told me that Sylviidae is a family of birds and that sylphs are air spirits, and that nymph is often the the young immature life stage of some inveterate (insects), which makes Sylveon likely a bug or flying type. I know its German name is somehow diverted from faerie, but fairies often fly around and are sometimes associated with insects.

Yeah, we've all examined the etymology. And if every language used the same root for its name, those arguments would make sense. But that's not the case, and so there's holes in the argument: if it's Flying, why do most languages use the nymph root? If it's Bug, why doesn't the English name convey that? Unless it turns out to be a Bug/Flying combination, that argument just doesn't hold water to me anymore. Justifying it being any existing type takes a lot of bending over backward and ignoring other evidence, whereas a "Fairy" type would explain everything we've seen perfectly.

Heck, I even made some of those arguments myself, back at the end of page 2 in this thread. But that was a month ago, and we have more to go on now.

CyberCat5555 said:
I know its German name is somehow diverted from faerie, but fairies often fly around and are sometimes associated with insects.

Its not "somehow diverted". It IS directly the word for fairy itself.
The english translation of it would be Fairyeon basically.

They're as much associated with insects as with psychics, ghosts, grass..

If it was a type like Bug or Flying...it would be as obvious as any of the previous ones.
But its not. The only thing it screams in design and name is fairy, but thats no type.

Mitja said:
If it was a type like Bug or Flying...it would be as obvious as any of the previous ones.
But its not. The only thing it screams in design and name is fairy, but thats no type.

I think that's a great point in favor of a new type for it, too. It's been argued a lot in relation to Sylveon that some Pokémon's types aren't readily apparent in their appearance. While that's true, if you look at the rest of the Eeveelutions, it's pretty clear that that's never really applied to them. Vaporeon is blue with fins, Leafeon has crumpled leaves all over its body, etc. The only one that leaves much doubt as to its type just from looking at it is Espeon, and even then one could make a pretty good guess based on the forehead jewel and the split tail (probably inspired by the nekomata, an intelligent cat demon). The fact that Sylveon doesn't visually match any known type without a lot of rationalization is telling, I think.

CyberCat5555 said:
P.DelSlayer said:
Just look at it.

Also, I believe that it will evolve using that new "bonding" mechanic. What better to introduce a new mechanic than with a new eeveelution?

*random idea* To go with the DNA theme, could Sylveon's ribbons represent the actual double helix shape of a DNA strand (there are two strands and Sylveon has two ribbons (it looks like four, but the bow ties are in the middle of the ribbons, making it look like four ribbons))? Just throwing that idea out there...

The only problem I can see with Eevee becoming a Fairy type Sylveon by bonding is that it isn't directly related to its type. Every Eeveelution's evolution method has directly related to their types.
Gen.1 - evo stones, plain and simple exposure to elements
Gen.2 - happiness @night or day, shows two new features off, with Espeon sun based and Umbreon moon based
Gen.4 - location based, again, simple, adapting to live in the forest or snowy area
So my guess would be: Eevee + new, fairy associated held item and having high bondage with its trainer = Sylveon (shows off bonding feature, and new held item is a new way to evolve Eevee)

I'm actually wondering if we do get a new Eeveelution, what type it would be. Ground seems to be a high contender, along with Steel.
So I'm presuming a more masculine Ground or Steel Eeveelution.

Also, please stop insisting that everything must be linked to DNA just because there are double helixes in the Japanese logos. And if the games are linked to DNA, why would they make an Eeveelution's fashion accessories link to that? Please don't insist that everything is relating to DNA, when in reality, you are just guessing like everyone else.

Mitja said:
CyberCat5555 said:
I know its German name is somehow diverted from faerie, but fairies often fly around and are sometimes associated with insects.

What you said is right, I just wanted to point out that the german name isn't only the direct word for fairy.
Fairy, in german, is Fee. Sylveon is named Feelinara. The syllable "lin" got nothing to do with fairies. This way, the german name sounds like "felin", which means "catlike". Don't know if this word is known in english. It's a little pun, the translators seemingly like those. If you would "translate" Fairyeon, it would be "Feea", "Feera", "Feena" or something, because the german ending for Eeveelutions is a plain "a".
One could argue that they put in this "lin" because it would sound stupid without it, but as I said it's a pun too.

shitzon said:
Mitja said:

What you said is right, I just wanted to point out that the german name isn't only the direct word for fairy.
Fairy, in german, is Fee. Sylveon is named Feelinara. The syllable "lin" got nothing to do with fairies. This way, the german name sounds like "felin", which means "catlike". Don't know if this word is known in english. It's a little pun, the translators seemingly like those. If you would "translate" Fairyeon, it would be "Feea", "Feera", "Feena" or something, because the german ending for Eeveelutions is a plain "a".
One could argue that they put in this "lin" because it would sound stupid without it, but as I said it's a pun too.

Of course they did it because it would sound stupid just as Feera etc!

Back