First Teaser Info for S6 'Silver Lance' and 'Jet-Black Spirit!'

JayJay329

Aspiring Trainer
Is all the recently show cards will come out in the chilling reigns set? Or it is just prediction? Thanks in advance

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
We don't need to wait on rulings. I can bet you $10 bucks it works like that. Houndoom uses exactly the same wording as Octillery does, except it adds "Energy" to the sentence. There's no need to be obtuse.

Yes but the previous energy that works with Houndoom has been specifically names Single Strike Energy. While it also has the Single Strike tag on it the name of the card specifically is Single Strike Energy and Houndoom states that he can accelerate Single Strike energy. Similarly Urn of Vitality recovers Single Strike Energy. The new special energy for Single Strike cards is called Impact Energy even though it also has the Single Strike tag to it. Octillery differs from Houndoom in that it can search for any card with the Rapid strike tag attached to it. The main question thus is whether Impact Energy counts as a Special Energy with a Single Strike tag attached to it, or whether it also qualifies as a Single Strike Energy. The two interpretations are not identical at all.

FairyLandAlice

Aspiring Trainer
Good to see more Rapid, Single Strike Energys but the secondary effect feels quite random like

"1-How do we do this different from Aurora and Rainbow?
2-They cure status even when status are quite irrelevant these days
1- Brilliant"

Pikarom is still there. That will make the Rapid Strike Urshifu match-up even tougher for Pikarom, I believe.

Zukrad

Aspiring Trainer
Good to see more Rapid, Single Strike Energys but the secondary effect feels quite random like

"1-How do we do this different from Aurora and Rainbow?
2-They cure status even when status are quite irrelevant these days
1- Brilliant"
I mean, they are still a rainbow energy that can be search/accelerated by octillery/houndoom, they could just have no secondary effect and they would still be good.

Is kind of funny that now Salazzle/Weepinbell decks have a less favorable matchup than before against SS decks lol. Also I guess Raichu Stoutland lock in expanded is worse against RS decks too

MagnaDrake

Aspiring Trainer
Yes but the previous energy that works with Houndoom has been specifically names Single Strike Energy. While it also has the Single Strike tag on it the name of the card specifically is Single Strike Energy and Houndoom states that he can accelerate Single Strike energy. Similarly Urn of Vitality recovers Single Strike Energy. The new special energy for Single Strike cards is called Impact Energy even though it also has the Single Strike tag to it. Octillery differs from Houndoom in that it can search for any card with the Rapid strike tag attached to it. The main question thus is whether Impact Energy counts as a Special Energy with a Single Strike tag attached to it, or whether it also qualifies as a Single Strike Energy. The two interpretations are not identical at all.
It definitely counts as a Single Strike Energy card much like Houndoom counts as a Single Strike Pokemon card. Note that both Houndoom and Urn specifically notes 'Single Strike Energy card(s)'. If they only search/recover the specific Single Strike Energy, they wouldn't have the extra 'card' suffix in the text box.

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
I'll add this to the comments here, but I've also added it to the article:

Editor’s note: @ToineLay has commented on this card’s translation with regard to whether or not it would be possible to accelerate Impact Energy with Houndoom BST’s Single Strike Roar ability. The answer is no. Although Impact Energy is a [Single Strike] Energy, it is not [Single Strike Energy]. Similarly, it is not possible to recover Impact Energy using Urn of Vitality BST.​

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar

Editor’s note: @ToineLay has commented on this card’s translation with regard to whether or not it would be possible to accelerate Impact Energy with Houndoom BST’s Single Strike Roar ability. The answer is no. Although Impact Energy is a [Single Strike] Energy, it is not [Single Strike Energy]. Similarly, it is not possible to recover Impact Energy using Urn of Vitality BST.​

Still Octillery is able to search out Spiral Energy since he can search for any Rapid Strike (Rengeki) card.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
SS really getting the short end of the stick, huh?

Not really. Single Strike received a lot of valueable cards. Cinderace is rather nice and Single Strike Urshifu is another great card. Also do not forget about Seviper. Single Stike has a lot of options when it comes to massive damage output that can potentially also be streamed. Rapid Strike is more subtile and requires a lot more work to come up with a competitive list.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player

So Houndoom can't accelerate a far worse but far more versatile card from deck. I would ask what's its purpose then, but its purpose is clear - helping Fighting/Dark Single Strike Pokémon. Ooooooooooooooook. I wonder how is it that they plan us to play Single Strike as a toolbox if you can't even search your energies.

At least Malamar can shuffle Rapid Strike cards so you can shuffle your 3 extra Spiral Energy, Mustard (which now has a deck it's a staple in, since extra Inkay are extra 40 damage) and other Rapid Strike support, which makes it much, much better.

Last edited:

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
So Houndoom can't accelerate a far worse but far more versatile card from deck. I would ask what's its purpose then, but its purpose is clear - helping Fighting/Dark Single Strike Pokémon. Ooooooooooooooook. I wonder how is it that they plan us to play Single Strike as a toolbox if you can't even search your energies.

A lot of them also have [C] costs. For instance Cinderace VMAX Single Strike has [R][C][C][C] in it's attack cost. You can still accelerate Single Strike Energy to fullfil the attack cost and use Impact Energy to pay for the [R] cost.

Most Single and Rapid Strike Pokémon that are neither Fighting/Darkness or Fighting/Water only have minimal type-specific energy cost requirements. Sure this does not hold for all of them such as Rillaboom Rapid Strike but those seem to be the exception rather than the norm thus far.

Generally I believe that Rapid Strike lends itself more to a tool-box deck style than Single Strike. One of the reasons for this believe is that Rapid Strike has access to Octillery who balances out the inherent inconsistency of a tool-box style deck.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer

My hopes that there was going to exist a SS toolbox deck: “aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it’s gone.”

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Not really. Single Strike received a lot of valueable cards. Cinderace is rather nice and Single Strike Urshifu is another great card. Also do not forget about Seviper. Single Stike has a lot of options when it comes to massive damage output that can potentially also be streamed. Rapid Strike is more subtile and requires a lot more work to come up with a competitive list.

I’m sorry, I expressed myself poorly. I meant in this particular case of the energies, and Houndoom not being able to accelerate them, while RS can search theirs with Octillery. Not the two styles as a whole. (Although I would still say that even if it was not what I meant in this particular case)

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Yeah I don't think anyone is saying that Single Strike doesn't have good cards, because it does. But Houndoom is wasted as an acceleration tool - particularly when compared to Octillery - when it can't help you setup attackers other than Colorless/Fighting/Dark ones. Granted, this is a small subset of cards - Cinderace, Beedrill, Heracross, and bench sitters like Emboar/Abomasnow - but this reduces Houndoom's value as support A TON, to the point Cinderace and Beedrill are better played as their own deck instead of being a techable option with Mustard, while also probably not warranting the inclusion of Houndoom. I'm not saying it's bad, just disappointing.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
I wonder why they don't just reprint rainbow energy....these are less usable than it. Still, good for pokemon like RS Luxray, RS Malamar and other cards like them.
They axed Rainbow Energy because a 10 damage ping simply doesn’t cut it in a format with 240-280 HP Basics and 300-340 Stage 1s, so they had to redesign it in a way where whether or not using it hurts you is more dependent on deck construction than individual Pokémon strength.

The Fish

0.o
Yup! All of this stuff will be in Chilling Reign!
This isn't confirmed yet. To quote JustInBasil's site: 'Chilling Reign is expected to be comprised of the Japanese set S5a Matchless Fighter (releases 19 March 2021, 70 cards), and the twin sets S6h Silver Lance and S6k Jet-Black Spirit (releasing 23 April 2021, 70 cards each). As these sets together total over 210 cards, it’s very likely that many of the cards from these sets will be pushed to our August and October sets. At least 1 Pokémon VMAX and 3 Pokémon V will be cut from Chilling Reign. Approximately 65 cards will be cut from the Japanese sets that form our Chilling Reign set. Keep that in mind as more than a handful of the cards may instead be printed in our August or October sets'.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
This isn't confirmed yet. To quote JustInBasil's site: 'Chilling Reign is expected to be comprised of the Japanese set S5a Matchless Fighter (releases 19 March 2021, 70 cards), and the twin sets S6h Silver Lance and S6k Jet-Black Spirit (releasing 23 April 2021, 70 cards each). As these sets together total over 210 cards, it’s very likely that many of the cards from these sets will be pushed to our August and October sets. At least 1 Pokémon VMAX and 3 Pokémon V will be cut from Chilling Reign. Approximately 65 cards will be cut from the Japanese sets that form our Chilling Reign set. Keep that in mind as more than a handful of the cards may instead be printed in our August or October sets'.

My bad!